Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Skyline, LHR London Heathrow Airport, United Kingdom 2008 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Skyline, LHR London Heathrow Airport, United Kingdom 2008 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2009, 7:12 am

Programs: Royal Ambassador Priority Club, Silver Elite goldpointsplus, Gold SPG, Diamond Hyatt
Sheraton Skyline best hotel in Heathrow

Hi guys, this is my first post in the SPG Forum.

I have been working in the Heathrow area for at least 4 months and up until recently all my stays were at IHG properties, with the vast majority of these being at the Crowne Plaza Heathrow.

I have been feeling a little bit underwhelmed with the Crowne Plaza and wanted something a little bit more from my hotel experience. So l have done some hotel hopping in the Heathrow area. These are the hotels l have stayed at:

Park Inn
Radisson Edwardian
Marriott
Holiday Inn M4
Holiday Inn Heathrow
Crowne Plaza Heathrow
Sheraton Skyline Heathrow

I will now be basing my next 3 months at the Sheraton Skyline. The first and most important reason is the bed; the sweet sleeper beds are amazing, by far the most comfortable bed l have slept in. Second is the Club Lounge, although alcohol is only free between 6pm and 8pm. The complitmentary breakfast is quite varied with hot/cold choices. Thirdly is the attitude of the staff, some hotels l have stayed recently the staff make you feel lilke you are an inconvenience to them

I have also managed to get SPG customer services to bump me upto Gold as although l am a Platinum Ambassador in Priority Club, they only status match between Hilton, Marriott and a few others. Priority Club was not one of them. After mentioning l was going to be doing 3 months they kindly bumped me Gold.

Plus l have also managed to negotiate a very good rate with the hotel directly.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jun 21, 2009 at 2:29 pm Reason: moved into master thread
Old Jun 21, 2009, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by g00ner
Second is the Club Lounge, although alcohol is only free between 6pm and 8pm.
Not true. Beer is only free during the happy hours of 6pm to 8pm. Red and white wine are free all day.

You may want to note there is a sticky at the top of the thread that contains information about many Starwood properties, including the Skyline.

For my purposes, the Skyline is the best choice and I usually have at least 15 stays a year at this property. The staff are excellent.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 8:51 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
It is a very convenient location near heathrow. I only saw the alcohol out for a few hrs as well. Ill check the next time.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 5:11 pm

Programs: Royal Ambassador Priority Club, Silver Elite goldpointsplus, Gold SPG, Diamond Hyatt
Originally Posted by worldtrav
Not true. Beer is only free during the happy hours of 6pm to 8pm. Red and white wine are free all day.

You may want to note there is a sticky at the top of the thread that contains information about many Starwood properties, including the Skyline.

For my purposes, the Skyline is the best choice and I usually have at least 15 stays a year at this property. The staff are excellent.
I have just arrived back at the skyline, but the club lounge is only open until 11am on weekends. I didn't arrive until just before midnight anyway.

So will double check monday evening if the red/white is available.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 9:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum
I'm looking at staying at LHR for the night in a few weeks despite the fact I live in town. I'm arriving late and departing on a 7am flight from T1.

I was surprised to see both SPG properties very cheap. The Sheraton LHR is £45+tax and the Skyline is £65+tax. Have been to the Skyline a couple of times in the last year but not to the Heathrow since about 2006. I seem to recall that all the rooms were being refurbished because I was told my Gold status put me in a refurbed one. I presume they are all done now!

How early do the Hoppa busses start out from either hotel? Thanks!
Old Jul 20, 2009, 11:11 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by Seated in First
I'm looking at staying at LHR for the night in a few weeks despite the fact I live in town. I'm arriving late and departing on a 7am flight from T1.

I was surprised to see both SPG properties very cheap. The Sheraton LHR is £45+tax and the Skyline is £65+tax. Have been to the Skyline a couple of times in the last year but not to the Heathrow since about 2006. I seem to recall that all the rooms were being refurbished because I was told my Gold status put me in a refurbed one. I presume they are all done now!

How early do the Hoppa busses start out from either hotel? Thanks!
This is one of my favorite sites for bus info. Hopefully it is still up to date.

http://www.londontoolkit.com/lhr/hotel_hoppa_bus.htm
Old Jul 21, 2009, 7:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by mcgahat
This is one of my favorite sites for bus info. Hopefully it is still up to date.

http://www.londontoolkit.com/lhr/hotel_hoppa_bus.htm
Thanks for info. I had come across the site but wasn't entirely sure whether it was accurate or up to date. A second look notes that it was last updated June '09 ^
Old Jul 26, 2009, 2:38 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
There (Skyeline) last night. Hadn't been since the third floor updates (Yay! no more puke-y green walls, flat-screen TV's, and the now-open SkyeBar pool area).

Skybar---interesting types of seating. Several different areas you could chose from to sit in, sectioned off from other areas by the landscaping. One area had the type of couches & footstools you'd see at a Shisha bar (no pipes tho ) whilst another had cafe tables.

Rooms--I really like that they've got two types of bedside lights---standard nightstand/table-lamps, great for when you're lounging and getting work done, as well as personal reading lights above the bed, as I like to read just before drifting off, and unlike nightstand lights or other models, these just provide focused light at an adjustable/aim-able point. Ideal for a couple when one wants to stay up & read, & the other wants to sleep.

As always, the Hatton Cross Underground Station--Bus means to get there/back was a breeze.

Club Lounge---hadn't seen this before here: staff going around the lounge offering to refill people's wine glasses (evenings) and/or offer to make a coffe (mornings). if the staff happen to be standing near the refrigerator when you got a bottle out (soda, beer) they'd offer to open it for you. I've seen staff at some SPG lounges do this, and it's a nice touch.

Food was all right--evening, your basic warm appetizer-type hot foods, plus nacho chips w/ various dips, really delicious chocolate cakes w/strawberries & choco syrup; morning, bacon, scrambled eggs, plus continental fare.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 12:27 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Krisflyer Gold
Spent the Saturday night here a couple of weeks ago due to an early flight from Heathrow the next day. Price was around GBP69+VAT, which seemed OK. Opted for the Skyline due to general consensus on FlyerTalk that this is better than the other airport Sheraton.

Checked in and was given a 3rd floor room overlooking the pool area (which looked very nice). The room was OK, allegedly refurbished but nothing special as a result. It was fine for a 1 night stop, in principle at least.

My key wouldn't get me in the lounge so I checked at the front desk who told me this was due to their use of two databases, one of which showed my old status (gold). This was the one they had referred to when booking me in. A quick look at the other database (surely something they should always do) revealed I was Platinum and they fixed my card and offered me the 500 point amenity. I did ask if I had lost out on a 'good' room and we all had a jolly laugh. I should have double checked this...

The lounge was small but pleasant.

We were on Hong Kong time and had an early wake up time (3.30am) so went to bed early. We were then wakened at around 11pm ish by the Boom, boom, boom of the disco. Amazing! This went on until around 12.30am at which point the sound got turned down (but could still be heard faintly).

How on earth can an airport hotel think it a sensible idea to have loud music late at night when most guests are presumably there to catch an early flight the next day. And if it was bad on the 3rd floor, it must have been hell on the 1st.

On check out we found that our prepaid bill had automatically been paid for in HK dollars rather than sterling, 'for our convenience'. Yes, and for the fat exchange commission Sheraton pocket on such transactions. My credit cards give much better rates and double miles on overseas' transactions. I'll be asking the SPG concierge folk to see if they can sort that one out.

Separately, travel to/from the hotel from T3 was very easy with the hotel hoppa (H3). The bus only goes to 3/4 hotels and took around 20 minutes to get to the hotel and 10 from the hotel (early in the morning). Some have commented that the GBP4 each way is expensive. Come on folks, 4 quid is not a lot of money. If you're travelling light then the free bus might be fine.

Overall - an OK place to stay for the price, so long as they don't have a function with music on. I'd definitely check this before booking.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 2:19 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by I Claudius

Checked in and was given a 3rd floor room overlooking the pool area (which looked very nice). The room was OK, allegedly refurbished but nothing special as a result. It was fine for a 1 night stop, in principle at least.

I did ask if I had lost out on a 'good' room and we all had a jolly laugh. I should have double checked this...

We were on Hong Kong time and had an early wake up time (3.30am) so went to bed early. We were then wakened at around 11pm ish by the Boom, boom, boom of the disco. Amazing! This went on until around 12.30am at which point the sound got turned down (but could still be heard faintly).

How on earth can an airport hotel think it a sensible idea to have loud music late at night when most guests are presumably there to catch an early flight the next day. And if it was bad on the 3rd floor, it must have been hell on the 1st.
I'm afraid you didn't get a good room as a Platinum. They don't normally give Plats the pool view rooms (especially on weekends) for the exact reason you mentioned - they often have functions at the hotel. Plats normally get 2nd or 3rd floor rooms allocated to them with views of the airport or the car park. (Which is very preferable to the pool!)

I have been in a 2nd floor room before as a Gold guest at the time, when a wedding function was going on at 11:30pm. As I had to be up at 5:30am, I wasn't too pleased, especially after asking for a quiet room and being given a room next to a lift, then this. It isn't pleasant, so you have my sympathy for having to put up with it on your stay.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 12:30 pm

Programs: Mucci (for services to Gin), VS Au, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis Pref+, Hertz 5*
I jusr had a surprisingly good stay at this property. I hadn't stayed here since they refitted the rooms and for my 7000 points I recevied a Club room and access to the lounge. I got there too late to try it in the evening but had a delightful breakfast of toast & marmalade and then a bagel with smoked salmon and cream cheese. The beer fridge was stocked and open but I didn't fancy having a beer at 7am, although I did have a rather large couple of G&Ts in the *A lounge a couple of hours later!

The room was really nice with modern decor, a refitted bathroom, the usual great Sweet Sleeper bed and a pretty decent room service menu, available to 2am! I got a runway view room too.

One minor gripe, is that every time I stay at this property they have me on their system as a Gold. I've been Plat two years now and even now it still shows me as a Gold member. I wonder if a call to Starwood CS would resolve that as I often stay here on my last night in London.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 1:20 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by tony2x
...One minor gripe, is that every time I stay at this property they have me on their system as a Gold. I've been Plat two years now and even now it still shows me as a Gold member. I wonder if a call to Starwood CS would resolve that as I often stay here on my last night in London.
My apologies, but I'll take care of that. Please let me know if this continues to happen on any subsequent visits, however.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Nov 20, 2009, 2:14 pm

Programs: Mucci (for services to Gin), VS Au, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis Pref+, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
My apologies, but I'll take care of that. Please let me know if this continues to happen on any subsequent visits, however.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Thanks William! Do you need any details from me? Let me know I'll send you a PM.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 2:18 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by tony2x
Thanks William! Do you need any details from me? Let me know I'll send you a PM.
Nope. I have all that I need to report this to the SPG Hotel Coordinator of this property.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Nov 20, 2009, 3:19 pm

Brilliant! Thank you William, it is much appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.