Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 11, 2015, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KENNECTED
Resort Charge Policy

A Resort Fee of 30 USD USD $33.00, plus at 4.62 resort fee tax [as of May 22] per night is applied to each room which provides the following benefits:
  • Complimentary bottle of water in your guest room
  • Beach Welcome basket to include bottled water and fresh fruit
  • Access to two beach chairs and towel service on the beach
  • Access to the 24-hour Fitness Center
  • Complimentary local and domestic long distance telephone calls
  • Spa discount of 15% (not valid with other offers)
  • Complimentary morning newspapers Monday - Friday
Print Wikipost

Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2015, 6:40 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Dear moderator,

Could you please edit the title of this thread?

this is not a luxury collection resort anymore. it is now a tribute portfolio resort.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:41 am

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold
Looking at The Royal Palm or Aloft South Beach for Music Week. Any insight from last year or recent stays?
Old Nov 24, 2015, 10:50 am

Just finished my stay.

Downsides: Initial check-in is a bit crazy. But the hotel lobby is smaller for a almost 400 room hotel.

Service can be hit or miss. It was better after the first day, however.

The cushions on the beach chairs and pool chairs were not in the best condition and also smelled of mold. I think that is the biggest thing to fault the hotel for after the entire stay.

Pool, beach front access, the view, and the location to "everything" are the main reasons to consider this place.

Aloft is off the road and to the north. Not too out of the way, but RP is very centrally located.

As a platinum, I like the the free breakfast at the Royal Palm. The hotel has four buildings in total. And they even have motel style rooms. Not something you will find at the Aloft. But the room I got had a balcony and a view just like the one SPG uses in the promos. So I have to say, the hotel is exactly what SPG advertises - and the price of 12k/nt is, in my opinion, a good value. Unless the hotel is 159/nt. But we know it won't be during UMF

Originally Posted by TRIUMPHsavtrav
Looking at The Royal Palm or Aloft South Beach for Music Week. Any insight from last year or recent stays?
Old Nov 29, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by svo242
Glad you had a nice stay! Question: did your 2 bedroom unit have a balcony?
No. I had ocean view in west tower. None of the ocean view units in this tower have balconies. The view was nice. And the units that did have balconies were noted to be small balconies. Maybe they were big enough for a chair or two only.

And yes, I too had the experience of others in regards to the checkin line. Was standing in the gold and plat line. Only person in that line and the three people checking folks in were busy calling people up for check in. Two other elites came up behind me soon before I spoke up and said something. It was then that one of the clerks said that there was only one line! ...!! They called us up next though and I didn't make a fuss about it but did just say that they should close that elite queue line to avoid future issues. Forgot about that issue until reading the updates to this thread after my last recent post.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 4:44 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold
- and the price of 12k/nt is, in my opinion, a good value. Unless the hotel is 159/nt. But we know it won't be during UMF[/QUOTE]

I ended up getting 3 nights for 16k/nt, have to get the girlfriend some beach time.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 6:27 pm

The balcony is pretty large. You could fit 3-4 people on it. This was on the building closest to the water.

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
No. I had ocean view in west tower. None of the ocean view units in this tower have balconies. The view was nice. And the units that did have balconies were noted to be small balconies. Maybe they were big enough for a chair or two only.

And yes, I too had the experience of others in regards to the checkin line. Was standing in the gold and plat line. Only person in that line and the three people checking folks in were busy calling people up for check in. Two other elites came up behind me soon before I spoke up and said something. It was then that one of the clerks said that there was only one line! ...!! They called us up next though and I didn't make a fuss about it but did just say that they should close that elite queue line to avoid future issues. Forgot about that issue until reading the updates to this thread after my last recent post.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 3:20 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Horrible

After 5 nights here, my verdict is to stay clear of this property. This was probably my worst SPG stay in years.

Checkin started well though, as my SNA hadn't cleared, the property comped my breakfast and gave me 500 points and waived the resort fees for the entire stay. Unfortunately the positives of this property ended here.

Despite being told the hotel had assigned the best room, it was admittedly probably their worst - a room in the Lanai, which is nothing else than a three floor motel. There was no view, only a view on the opposite building, no balcony, nothing. The pipes in this building were so old that they made horribly loud noises anytime anyone turned one on (it would literally wake up anyone). There was also a back alley that had trucks backing up and unloading/loading things (I suppose garbage) which made for very loud moments. On top of this the music from the pool was always playing and quite late which made for more 'enjoyable' moments.

If this were not fun enough, we had companions in the room - ants, a very small cockroach and traces of blood on the curtains. Hygiene isn't the strong point of this hotel either - the sheets and towels all had traces (always a pleasure to see blood or the rests of another guest's behind).

Cleaning service - during the five days they did not pass the vacuum a single time, there was dirt all over the place. They ignored DND signs on one day, on the next they did not make up the room as the DND was on the door at 8AM. No card was left behind either. I was told on the phone that if a DND had ever been placed on the door then I'd have to call to get service. In fact not much of an effort was really made as bathroom was never really cleaned or replenished. It seemed like only the bed had been made.

The breakfast spread was enjoyable though and good quality. However, on one day we were completely ignored. No coffee or juice offered, we were sat but nobody ever attended us. On other days they randomly removed cutlery then got annoyed and insisted we had taken it away. Honestly I started to wonder where they found their staff, as they really managed to make a mess of everything.

In regards to the pool and beach, both are nice. The beach is the main attraction of this hotel and they know it. Included in the resort fee is two chairs at the beach. But these do not include an umbrella, charged at 19 USD+. It seems that the hotel is quite content not to have hotel guests using their chairs as they have enough local demand to fill these up. Though the additional charge for an umbrella seems stingy. Even more when you are given two seats with one and having decided not to pay the fee the attendant removes it out of the sand.

I think the beach attendants were the friendliest people I met at this property, though I felt sorry for them as it seems the hotel forces some of them to wear long sleeves and a white polo on top of that. Really inhumane when temperatures are above 85F.

Other than that, well my internet worked one day (very slowly though) but then never worked again until the final day.

The only real positive for this property is its location. It's smack in the middle of south beach near to all the shopping, restaurants and bars. Other than that it's a resounding fail. I'll never come back here and think it's a huge disgrace to SPG.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 4:40 pm

Sucks to hear that. Maybe my ambassador pulled some strings, but I was on the 8th floor of the building with a end room.

I think the property is perfectly "fine" for the price range. If you look at this hotel during not-peak times - the rooms are under $200nt.

I expected it to be very resort like. And it was.

But it was not the Loews, Ritz Carlton, or St Regis.

We saw that motel building on the ground. The hotel is huge, at 400 rooms, but you would think platinum could get in one of the towers....

Originally Posted by GVA
After 5 nights here, my verdict is to stay clear of this property. This was probably my worst SPG stay in years.

Checkin started well though, as my SNA hadn't cleared, the property comped my breakfast and gave me 500 points and waived the resort fees for the entire stay. Unfortunately the positives of this property ended here.

Despite being told the hotel had assigned the best room, it was admittedly probably their worst - a room in the Lanai, which is nothing else than a three floor motel. There was no view, only a view on the opposite building, no balcony, nothing. The pipes in this building were so old that they made horribly loud noises anytime anyone turned one on (it would literally wake up anyone). There was also a back alley that had trucks backing up and unloading/loading things (I suppose garbage) which made for very loud moments. On top of this the music from the pool was always playing and quite late which made for more 'enjoyable' moments.

If this were not fun enough, we had companions in the room - ants, a very small cockroach and traces of blood on the curtains. Hygiene isn't the strong point of this hotel either - the sheets and towels all had traces (always a pleasure to see blood or the rests of another guest's behind).

Cleaning service - during the five days they did not pass the vacuum a single time, there was dirt all over the place. They ignored DND signs on one day, on the next they did not make up the room as the DND was on the door at 8AM. No card was left behind either. I was told on the phone that if a DND had ever been placed on the door then I'd have to call to get service. In fact not much of an effort was really made as bathroom was never really cleaned or replenished. It seemed like only the bed had been made.

The breakfast spread was enjoyable though and good quality. However, on one day we were completely ignored. No coffee or juice offered, we were sat but nobody ever attended us. On other days they randomly removed cutlery then got annoyed and insisted we had taken it away. Honestly I started to wonder where they found their staff, as they really managed to make a mess of everything.

In regards to the pool and beach, both are nice. The beach is the main attraction of this hotel and they know it. Included in the resort fee is two chairs at the beach. But these do not include an umbrella, charged at 19 USD+. It seems that the hotel is quite content not to have hotel guests using their chairs as they have enough local demand to fill these up. Though the additional charge for an umbrella seems stingy. Even more when you are given two seats with one and having decided not to pay the fee the attendant removes it out of the sand.

I think the beach attendants were the friendliest people I met at this property, though I felt sorry for them as it seems the hotel forces some of them to wear long sleeves and a white polo on top of that. Really inhumane when temperatures are above 85F.

Other than that, well my internet worked one day (very slowly though) but then never worked again until the final day.

The only real positive for this property is its location. It's smack in the middle of south beach near to all the shopping, restaurants and bars. Other than that it's a resounding fail. I'll never come back here and think it's a huge disgrace to SPG.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:05 am

I've stayed all over Miami over the years. I was impressed at check-in: nice room upgrade as a Gold, free breakfast vouchers, free drink vouchers, good WiFi at no additional cost. I booked one points stay and one paid stay back-to-back. I asked for them to be combined or at the very least be assigned the same room so I don't have to move. I was told no problem and my nice upgrade was applicable to both the award and paid.

I also explained that my girlfriend and I had not slept in the past two days (she worked an overnight shift and I worked late and packed last minute). I asked specifically not to be disturbed and if I need to do anything special beyond putting the Do Not Disturb sign on the door. I was told no and to enjoy my stay so we went on our way.

Fast forward to the morning...housekeeping tries to enter our room at 10:50AM. I'm confused because even if they messed up combining the reservation, checkout time is not until 11:00 AM. I am mad because we needed the sleep. I call down and say we don't want to be disturbed again and they say they will straighten out the reservation in the system. An hour or so later, same thing! This time we had the extra lock so they couldn't get far. At this point we are awake and our rest of the day would be sluggish because we never got to catch up on sleep. I go down to the desk where they say they will make sure we are not disturbed the next day and they would do their best to grant a late checkout and if I recall we got 1PM and were told to call the morning of to push to later.

The next morning I woke up for a brief moment around 9AM, called, and was met with some resistance. I had to hold to speak with the manager on duty. I explained to her that we've been woken up multiple times and were not happy. She eventually granted 4pm. Well what do you think happened at Noon? Housekeeping tried to enter and woke us up. I am livid at this point.

As we headed out to get coffee and breakfast, I spoke with the manager on duty who offered me a couple thousand points for the mishap and breakfast but that wasn't enough for ruining our first few days in Miami because we couldnt sleep and we already made breakfast plans. I ended up reaching out to SPG after we checked out who had the General Manager contact me. He agreed to refund one night, decided to do the award night, which was fine with me. The right amount of points did not come and were off by a bit but he ended up resolving and said if I stay again he will make sure there is no repeat.

I like the room and hotel overall but if sleep is important I don't know that I would stay again. I am still curious if it was a reservation system issue, housekeeping issue, or communication issue between the two, but multiple entries including one before regular checkout time is crazy. I have to think about it but the GM did help ease things without being difficult about refunding one night which I thought was fair. I will report back as I'm expecting to be in Miami again in the coming months and if I stay again will see if the issues are resolved.

Last edited by mysterym; Jan 7, 2016 at 8:13 am
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:51 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
It seems like a lot of people have some very negative comments about the property here. Having just finished a two night weekend getaway at the hotel, I wanted to put in my two cents.

There was only one person working at the check in desk when I arrived around 9PM on Friday night, a very large group arrived before I did, and it was taking a while to check everyone in (I'm talking like 25 people), the lady at the front desk offered to check me in, as the ringleader of the large group was collecting everyone's IDs.

The lady was professional and courteous, however it was so loud in the lobby, I had to raise my voice significantly so she could hear me. I selected platinum breakfast as my amenity. She told me that she didn't have any breakfast coupons behind the desk at that particular moment, and that she would have to send them to my room...the coupons still hadn't arrived the following morning, I had to go to the front desk to pick them up.

I did receive a room upgrade without applying a SNA (I am Plat 50), I was upgraded to a studio suite with a partial ocean view and a balcony, from the base room with city view. My room was clean when I arrived, however I was not as impressed with housekeeping throughout my stay. Housekeeping failed to properly replenish the lotion, towels and bathrobes that I had used (they did take the dirty towels). They also left behind a cleaning rag in my kitchenette.

They did leave a whopping 6 bottles of water in my room on day 2 (there were only 2 there when I checked in). It's very hot in South Beach right now--it was 82 degrees today, so this was very much appreciated.

I was very impressed with the platinum breakfast, it included the full buffet, and I was able to enjoy eggs, meats, cheeses and fresh fruit.

The pool was lackluster and disappointing. It was overly small for a 400 room hotel, and wasn't sufficiently staffed. There was only one towel boy, and it took a while to get his attention. If they're going to under-staff it, they should at least make towels available on a table or something. Since the pool towels weren't that great anyway, on day 2 I brought a towel from my room, which was superior in quality. Unlike some of the other reviewers, I found my room towels to be bleached and very clean.

There is also a small plunge pool on the patio of the 2nd floor, which I actually found to be nicer than the main pool area.

The beach was nice, but the lounge chairs that the hotel provides were old and dingy, the hotel charges $20 per day if you'd like to use an umbrella, which I think is petty and obnoxious. It's worth noting that the hotel does have some really nice chaise lounges on the beach, but they do have a surcharge.

The hotel does have a $30 daily resort fee, which is taxable, so it ends up being closer to $35. In exchange you do get apples on the beach and at the pool, as well as bottled water.

Overall, I found my experience at the hotel to be on par with my expectations for the hotel. The BAR rate for the hotel this weekend was $250, and Priceline was offering it for $200, allowing for BRG approvals at $160 (+ the aforementioned $30 resort charge).

For the money, I feel that they hotel does offer a decent value, as the only other SPG property on South Beach in the same price range is the Aloft, which isn't right on the beach.

I would consider staying at this hotel again, if the price is right, however for my next stay in February, I'm going to try out the Aloft, to see how it compares.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 5:16 pm

Long time lurker and had to create an account just to post how miserable our stay was..

Platinum SPG, spent a night here after a cruise vacation..

Front desk was unable to put us in a room at all when we arrived at 11 AM (had asked for early check-in, also tried to use a SNA). Lobby is crazy packed with people. Unable to give us an ETA on when a room would be ready - no problem, we left and went shopping. Came back 2.5 hours later, no rooms ready with no ETA.

Offer to take a regular room since we're exhausted and would love a shower. Front desk says they will send someone up to check on whether the maids have cleaned the room and we should wait around the corner on some couches -- they'll come get us when it's ready.

45min later - no one has come by yet, I go up and the front desk person has been replaced/gone off shift. Turns out no one has gone to check. New front desk person is completely unapologetic and quite rude.

Get into our room (which was in the tower) an HOUR later --- and surprise, the room is really lacking -- strange odor, towel on the ground, no bottles of water. Large sliding door to the bathroom/toilet that didn't close completely + is right next to the bed (seriously..) Stand-alone table in the room was tiny/flimsy, lamp was artsy but not fully functioning.

Strongly recommend against ever coming here.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 3:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
As a reminder: this property is now branded as Tribute, NOT LC (despite the title of this thread).
Old Jun 18, 2016, 10:53 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Has anyone used the Hertz location inside this property recently? I cannot book it via Hertz' website. I wonder if it is still open?
Old Jun 18, 2016, 11:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Has anyone used the Hertz location inside this property recently? I cannot book it via Hertz' website. I wonder if it is still open?
I didn't know there is a hertz there? I know there is a Hertz further up toward the W.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 2:05 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
I didn't know there is a hertz there? I know there is a Hertz further up toward the W.
I asked the question when I stayed there last year - under current ownership at least there is no Hertz location at the Royal Palm - Hertz haven't quite realised that though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.