Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Renaissance Kuala Lumpur [Master Thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 15, 19, 10:48 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: margarita girl
Wiki Link
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 2, 15, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P

Stayed at the hotel for 9 nights during Chinese New Year period.

We took Star Shuttle from the airport to the hotel - total cost RM 60 for 2 adults and 3 kids. We took the coach to somewhere in the city, and then change to a small van.

On the way back we took a Van arranged by the hotel that costs us RM 151.

You need to walk at least 10 minutes to get to anything. There is a monorail stop about 3 minutes from the hotel, also the free GO bus stop 5 minutes from the hotel that will bring you to the city center area (catch it outside hotel concorde - It's easier since there are 2 lines that stop there so you don't have to wait so long for the bus).

Petrona Towers is about 10-15 minutes walk.

The room:
We got a pre-upgrade to a suite which is awesome. The hotel is divided into west and east wings and the east wing is more for people on business while the west wing is more children friendly- all the kids haters are in another building so everyone is pleased!. Our suite is like size of 2 rooms and the west wing will be renovated in Apr (East wing renovation is done).

You can only go to the lounge in the tower you stay at, i.e. east wing, east wing lounge.

The suite was very dated and there was some issues with the toilet, our first suite had strong smell of mildews. We mentioned it after a staff at the lounge asked about our stay, and we moved to another suite which was better.

The lounge:
E+1 is not enforced - and children are welcome. The quality of the F&B is not that good - it looks good but it doesn't taste good. Here's some examples:

The fruit juice is not 100% juice;
The salmon wellington is not thoroughly baked - the lower part of the puff pastry is raw;
The French speaking guests were not taking any desserts - you know why.

As elite you can either eat breakfast at the lounge or restaurant - at the moment only Temptation is open and IMO it's overpacked and the food quality again is poor - we normally just head to the lounge to grab some fruit.

So I'd skip it and go out to eat!

The staff there are great - as long as you can live with Malaysian efficiency. My PAG (6 satay sticks)was ordered at 9:15pm and it didn't arrive until after 10:30pm and the it was cold! I called and waited until 11:15pm I brought it to the lounge and told them to credit me the 500 pts instead.

The pool is huge - I didn't go into the water but the kids loved it - they said they don't feel cold when they get out of the water.

Will I go back again- certainly!

Last edited by nacho; Mar 2, 15 at 7:57 am
Old Mar 2, 15, 10:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the trip report! Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Aug 1, 17, 4:10 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
just completed a 3-night stay

upgraded to a full West Wing refurbished Suite (from a reserved Jr Suite pre arrival due to property charging me 2 months prior to arrival although this was not a pre paid reservation)

did not have any significant noise disturbance as reported by others (as this wing still be worked on) in TA

lifts really need a refurb as well

largest pool in KL

breakfast in either wing or lounge

10 min walk to Petronas

SkyTrain station 3 minutes

Dynasty Chinese served up a more then adequate chicken pineapple dish

auditions ongoing for Asia's Got Talent during our stay

Personal Note : between immigration out and security of carryon bags it took me nearly 2.5-hours - a total waste - and if one planned to buy duty free just forget that possibility unless you schedule 3 hours after checkin --- for me, I won't be going back to KL until this type of crap ceases

Last edited by Srisarin; Aug 1, 17 at 7:28 am
Old Aug 1, 17, 8:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Srisarin View Post
Renaissance Kuala Lumpur

Restaurant/lounge weekdays until 10:30
Weekends until 11:00

If you opt for West Wing where refurb now ongoing have to transit to East Wing to Lounge or breakfast restaurant in either tower
What were the rooms like? I assume some are renovated and others aren't.
Old Aug 2, 17, 6:51 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
What were the rooms like? I assume some are renovated and others aren't.
Some are nicer than others - I stayed in 2 different rooms in the East Wing during my stay, the first one (first night only) wasn't that great. The second, 3 nights, was much nicer. I read some reports on Trip Advisor where a number of people complained about their rooms - basically the recurring theme is that some rooms are in need of some maintenance. Some east wing rooms are a little dated and in need of some work.

The walk between the East & West Wings is pretty quick, 3 minutes maybe... I walked over to the bar in the West wing a couple of times and it was quick.

Overall, I liked the hotel. The lounge is nice. The pool is nice. The location was really good for me - and it's 1 block to the Monorail, which is super nice! I used the Monorail and Uber to get around, very inexpensive (from a USD perspective).

If you stay there, I highly suggest taking the KLIA Airport Ekspress (http://www.kliaekspres.com/) to get to Sentral and then take the monorail, taxi or Uber to get to the hotel.
Old May 26, 18, 2:22 am

Stayed here now after a five night stay at the JW (I like to try new hotels). So far it is a 10/10. Noticed pre-arrival I received an upgrade to a suite with a great view of KL Tower.

Bellman took care of all of my luggage including delicate items (a cake), checkin was efficient, front office manager came out and greeted me as a platinum and walked me to my room, hotel arranged a complimentary tiramisu in my room for my birthday ready for my arrival (I previously mentioned via the chat that I wanted reccomendations for a tiramisu place) along with the largest fruit plate I've ever received at a Marriott. Platinum arrival gift included various drink and food choices, I opted for glass of wine and satay (deleivered within 20 minutes!). They had towel origami and rose petals decorating my room. All of the staff were polite and extra friendly so far. I mentioned my flight wasn't until 11PM next day and they offerred me 8pm late checkout! (I would have been happy with simply lounge access to 8!!)

I had a few issues with service quality at the JW so right now, Renaissance is punching well above its weight.

Last edited by Nazdoom; May 26, 18 at 2:34 am
Old May 26, 18, 11:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Feb 6, 19, 4:49 am

February 2019

Just checked-in for 3 nights, paid, Platinum.

Taxi (18 MYR, 15 minutes from KL Sentral at 1700 on a Wednesday).

I'll do first impressions while on my mind...and I'll edit with more detail when I return home.

I had to pay attention for a moment as I thought the driver passed the entrance, but it seemed to be blocked. Dropped off at the 2nd available entrance. Turns out I was dropped off at the east tower.

Check-in at elite counter. Went through all of the steps. Asked about a room with a view of the Petronas Towers. Only available in the east wing, but the east wing rooms were not fully renovated. She gave me a room on the 16th floor of the west ring, told me it was a 'deluxe' room, but it was larger than most. She mentioned that upgrades are one level above what was booked and that the west wing was better. Note that the lounge is in the west wing, but I am not on lounge floor.

Platinum amenities - the only one that stands out is that I have a choice of lounge or restaurant breakfast each morning. She highly recommended the restaurant breakfast. Also given 1000 bonus points. I need to be smarter and make separate reservations for each night.

Room - renovated, huge semi-circular room on 16th floor, view of KL tower, so not terrible. Had a minor maintenance issue, called zero, and someone is supposed to take care of it. However, the phone answerer was a bit surprised that my bags had not been delivered (30 minutes had passed).

Lounge - lots of people in non-business like clothing, self included, but my devices are on silent unlike others (both are requested rules). I am glad that I can eat breakfast in the restaurant because there is not a empty seat in the place. Excellent evening spread. Open bar. Noodle bar. Hot and cold choices. And frankly too much attention from the lounge staff. Note that the front desk emphasized that I could only take one friend to the lounge without charge. I told her that I had no friends.

So, pleased so far!
Old Feb 6, 19, 7:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by lamphs View Post
Just checked-in for 3 nights, paid, Platinum.

Taxi (18 MYR, 15 minutes from KL Sentral at 1700 on a Wednesday).

I'll do first impressions while on my mind...and I'll edit with more detail when I return home.

I had to pay attention for a moment as I thought the driver passed the entrance, but it seemed to be blocked. Dropped off at the 2nd available entrance. Turns out I was dropped off at the east tower.

Check-in at elite counter. Went through all of the steps. Asked about a room with a view of the Petronas Towers. Only available in the east wing, but the east wing rooms were not fully renovated. She gave me a room on the 16th floor of the west ring, told me it was a 'deluxe' room, but it was larger than most. She mentioned that upgrades are one level above what was booked and that the west wing was better. Note that the lounge is in the west wing, but I am not on lounge floor.

Platinum amenities - the only one that stands out is that I have a choice of lounge or restaurant breakfast each morning. She highly recommended the restaurant breakfast. Also given 1000 bonus points. I need to be smarter and make separate reservations for each night.

Room - renovated, huge semi-circular room on 16th floor, view of KL tower, so not terrible. Had a minor maintenance issue, called zero, and someone is supposed to take care of it. However, the phone answerer was a bit surprised that my bags had not been delivered (30 minutes had passed).

Lounge - lots of people in non-business like clothing, self included, but my devices are on silent unlike others (both are requested rules). I am glad that I can eat breakfast in the restaurant because there is not a empty seat in the place. Excellent evening spread. Open bar. Noodle bar. Hot and cold choices. And frankly too much attention from the lounge staff. Note that the front desk emphasized that I could only take one friend to the lounge without charge. I told her that I had no friends.

So, pleased so far!
Interesting. When I stayed in 2017 I was upgraded to a suite in the west tower. Only upgrading one category isn't compliant with the new Marriott terms and conditions. Moreover, someone recently said on Flyer Talk that the legacy Marriott Asia–Pacific suite upgrade promotion is still applicable at the legacy brands.

The east tower lounge was two floors and had floor-to-ceiling views of the Twin Towers. It's a shame that it isn't open again. I'm also surprised that renovations aren't finished as there had been reports, here or somewhere else, that renovations were done by now.

Do they still have the weird separate lobbies for each tower connected by corridors or has this been renovated? Originally, the west tower was a standalone 5-star hotel and the east tower was a standalone 4-star hotel. At some point, they were connected and flagged under Renaissance. The long overdue renovation was supposed to finally incorporate these towers into one, coherent building with consistent rooms and amenities.

Was there was no pre-arrival email?

What is the wine being served now? Apparently, they upgraded to sparkling wine (perhaps even a champagne) to match the J.W. Marriott, but there's been no confirmation of this. What are the hours of the open bar at night?

Can you take pictures?
Old Feb 6, 19, 8:23 am

Interesting. When I stayed in 2017 I was upgraded to a suite in the west tower. Only upgrading one category isn't compliant with the new Marriott terms and conditions. Moreover, someone recently said on Flyer Talk that the legacy Marriott Asia–Pacific suite upgrade promotion is still applicable at the legacy brands.

The east tower lounge was two floors and had floor-to-ceiling views of the Twin Towers. It's a shame that it isn't open again. I'm also surprised that renovations aren't finished as there had been reports, here or somewhere else, that renovations were done by now.

Do they still have the weird separate lobbies for each tower connected by corridors or has this been renovated? Originally, the west tower was a standalone 5-star hotel and the east tower was a standalone 4-star hotel. At some point, they were connected and flagged under Renaissance. The long overdue renovation was supposed to finally incorporate these towers into one, coherent building with consistent rooms and amenities.

What is the wine being served now? Apparently, they upgraded to sparkling wine (perhaps even a champagne) to match the J.W. Marriott, but there's been no confirmation of this. What are the hours of the open bar at night?

Can you take pictures?
I'll work on these things for FTers in the next couple of days.
hockeyinsider likes this.
Old Feb 6, 19, 10:31 pm

Interesting. When I stayed in 2017 I was upgraded to a suite in the west tower. Only upgrading one category isn't compliant with the new Marriott terms and conditions. Moreover, someone recently said on Flyer Talk that the legacy Marriott Asia–Pacific suite upgrade promotion is still applicable at the legacy brands. I spoke with the (west) lounge manager this morning. She had enough information about my reservation on hand - ' you booked a superior room in the east wing (not renovated) and your upgrade was to a deluxe room in the west wing (renovated)'. I could not obtain a clear answer from her about why the room was not on one of the club levels nor a suite. It appears that every Marriott KL property is sold out tonight, and the lounge was packed for breakfast this morning, so maybe nothing else is available? Maybe related to the Chinese NY?

The east tower lounge was two floors and had floor-to-ceiling views of the Twin Towers. It's a shame that it isn't open again. I'm also surprised that renovations aren't finished as there had been reports, here or somewhere else, that renovations were done by now. I am told renovations of the east wing will be completed in 2019.

Do they still have the weird separate lobbies for each tower connected by corridors or has this been renovated? Originally, the west tower was a standalone 5-star hotel and the east tower was a standalone 4-star hotel. At some point, they were connected and flagged under Renaissance. The long overdue renovation was supposed to finally incorporate these towers into one, coherent building with consistent rooms and amenities. Yes, on the separate lobbies that are connected. As I mentioned earlier, what turned out to be the west lobby, was blocked to cars at check-in, but when I was dropped off late last night, it was open. There is a bit of a walk between the two lobbies, but it is quite nice and I got to see the remainder of the hotel. Checking in at the east wing also explained why my baggage was delayed - it was labeled for east.

Was there was no pre-arrival email? No pre-arrival e-mail.

See answers above...

I'll work on a lounge report tonight, with pics.

And I'll try to get a current e-mail address for the property.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Feb 7, 19, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond

And I'll try to get a current e-mail address for the property.
Email address is in the wiki.
Old Feb 7, 19, 7:28 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
I had a short stay here and i loved the newly renovated club rooms , smart tv highly appreciated... Jw and sheraton don't have those...
Old Feb 10, 19, 3:28 am

Can you take pictures?
A few updates.

No lounge pics - both breakfast and dinner were jammed packed. Wines were Luis Felipe - a carmenere (2018) and a chardonnay (2017). No sparkling wines. The lounge did a nice rotation of food each evening. And food was plentiful. I tried breakfast once in the restaurant. It was so crowded that food could not be refilled often enough and the line for the egg station was eggordinarily long.

I had a bit of a service issue at the pool, two days in a row. I mentioned it to the 'supervisor' the second day. She insisted that I speak with the manager. I told her that I was not trying to make waves at the pool, but I was impressed of her insistence that the issue should be brought to management's attention. Anyhow, the manager offered to meet me in the lobby bar at 7:30 for a drink. In chatting with her, I confirmed that the property (as well as many others) were sold out. She also clarified that renovations for the east wing were starting in 2019 (not finishing).

All in all, I would return. I liked the location. Two monorail stops to Bukit Bintang. Quieter area and views of KL Tower and Petronas Towers in the area. (After spending a whole 20 minutes attempting to walk through Bukit Bintang, by the JW, I gave up.)
Old Feb 10, 19, 6:17 am
Suspended

A few updates.

No lounge pics - both breakfast and dinner were jammed packed. Wines were Luis Felipe - a carmenere (2018) and a chardonnay (2017). No sparkling wines. The lounge did a nice rotation of food each evening. And food was plentiful. I tried breakfast once in the restaurant. It was so crowded that food could not be refilled often enough and the line for the egg station was eggordinarily long.

I had a bit of a service issue at the pool, two days in a row. I mentioned it to the 'supervisor' the second day. She insisted that I speak with the manager. I told her that I was not trying to make waves at the pool, but I was impressed of her insistence that the issue should be brought to management's attention. Anyhow, the manager offered to meet me in the lobby bar at 7:30 for a drink. In chatting with her, I confirmed that the property (as well as many others) were sold out. She also clarified that renovations for the east wing were starting in 2019 (not finishing).

All in all, I would return. I liked the location. Two monorail stops to Bukit Bintang. Quieter area and views of KL Tower and Petronas Towers in the area. (After spending a whole 20 minutes attempting to walk through Bukit Bintang, by the JW, I gave up.)
That's the same wine they served in 2017. Drinkable but not great. All of the hotels I stayed at in Malaysia served that brand.

Interesting. The owner must have ran out of money because the renovations on the east wing were supposed to start in late 2017. That's a significant delay. I believe Marriott forced the previous owner to either renovate or sell. They sold and then the new owner started renovations. If the renovations haven't started I don't understand why the lounge in the east wing isn't open?

Was she the hotel manager or general manager? The general manager I met in 2017, Robert Frager, had been with Marriott for something like 20 or 25 years. He was very good.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: