Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Suiran, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2019, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from May 2018:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...g-service-2621
Print Wikipost

Suiran, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Yeah we're a bit worried with how far removed Arashiyama is from a lot of the destinations in Kyoto, that adding 1hr+ of transit time each way would be a bit of a hassle. We might just split it 2&3 west/east instead of staying 5 at Suiran. Sad about the free night but probably a better idea in general.
Definitely worth using a taxi instead of public transit for Suiran. Arashiyama itself is a destination.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:46 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Aventine
Definitely worth using a taxi instead of public transit for Suiran. Arashiyama itself is a destination.

We stayed 8 nights at Suiran and loved being based there. On several nights we took taxis to dinner. The taxis are great in Kyoto- by far the best we’ve ever encountered and the hotel makes it easy despite the language barrier.

There is so much to do In Arashiyama between the Bamboo Forest, the MonkeyPark, the Romantic Train and all the lovely shrines and temples. We hired a guide to take us to the iconic sites in Kyoto and that worked out great because we wouldn’t have wanted to miss them. I highly recommend Taka btw:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...i.html?m=19907

We will definitely stay at Suiran on our next visit. Our son and his wife will be there for 5 nights next fall and we are so jealous. Suiran is one of our favorite hotel visits ever.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:04 am

I have a LNF approved booking in late Jan. The booking was made in September and I have SNA requested to the next level room.

Since the reservation system got migrated to Marriott on Dec 12, it seems that the property no longer have rooms for SNA. Below is what I see when click SNA->Modify Request. Sounds like the inventory is messed up after the migration?
Unfortunately, availability has changed since your last request. The good news is that we still have great rooms for you. Please select your favorite ones below.

We’re temporarily unable to display the information you requested.Please try again later.

We’re temporarily unable to display the information you requested.Please try again later.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:14 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by tonywush
I have a LNF approved booking in late Jan. The booking was made in September and I have SNA requested to the next level room.

Since the reservation system got migrated to Marriott on Dec 12, it seems that the property no longer have rooms for SNA. Below is what I see when click SNA->Modify Request. Sounds like the inventory is messed up after the migration?
Unfortunately, availability has changed since your last request. The good news is that we still have great rooms for you. Please select your favorite ones below.

This is almost certainly just another temporary technical glitch artifact of the migration process from Luxury Collection hotels having migrated from the SPG to Marriott reservations system at the end of November (and Dec 11 for St Regis hotel). Award inventory has similarly been impacted (see link below).

Hotels have to now manually load into the new Marriott system their SNA categories as well as their award inventories for the coming year. It takes time. Be patient and the options for applying SNAs will return.

Of course, I can’t say for sure that the Marriott system will automatically reinstate your old SNAs. So I’d wait until the SNA functionality is restored in a week or two (or however long that takes) and then email the hotel or call the customer service line to reapply the SNAs.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30551534-post721.html
Aventine likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Managed to find a single night award open so I changed a two night stay at RC Kyoto using 60k certs to one night at RC and one night Suiran. Confirmed with two double beds, but they were so good about upgrades last time even when their database still had me as a pre merger SPG gold instead of a post merger platinum, so I'm sure they'll do what they can to upgrade us and get us a single bed room if inventory permits.

Going to lurk every day and hope someone cancels their stay on the other day so I can switch it too.
Do you know what will platinum get staying at this hotel using rewards? We booked RItz Kyoto for 7 nights for end of March and now planning for Dec and thinking of a change! We have toddlers if that makes a difference since Ritz Kyoto is super kids friendly.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by musicscrip

Do you know what will platinum get staying at this hotel using rewards? We booked RItz Kyoto for 7 nights for end of March and now planning for Dec and thinking of a change! We have toddlers if that makes a difference since Ritz Kyoto is super kids friendly.
I would not generally bet on an upgrade at this property. It has under 40 rooms. It really depends on how busy the area is at that time of year. I'm betting on one for February because I know tourism is at a low during the extreme high/low temps in Kyoto.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
I would not bet on an upgrade at this property. It has under 40 rooms. It really depends on how busy the area is at that time of year.
How about breakfast?

Everyone in the room gets free breakfast at Kyoto Ritz with plat status.

thanks
Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:32 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
How about breakfast?

thanks
All Luxury Collection properties offer a free breakfast benefit to Plats. It was a full breakfast benefit for us this past May 2018 at Suiran. (We also got the full breakfast benefit at the RC Kyoto.)
Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist

How about breakfast?

thanks
You'd get breakfast. You basically get the choice of Western or Japanese sets. You'd have to ask them how room occupancy and benefits would work with two toddlers. Email [email protected].
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 7:39 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
I stayed here one night in March 2018. I used 36,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points to book the stay, but normally it's around 55,000 UR points per night. With the new Marriott Rewards chart it will cost 85,000 points as a tier 8 property. At some point, I hope to write a review. A couple things that people may not be aware of because they are not heavily advertised, is that your reservation entitles you one of the following two options:

1. A free chauffeured car ride from Kyoto Station to the hotel, or
2. A free Rickshaw ride from Arashiyama Station to or from the hotel.

We took the the first option, which I think is a nice deal since the ride takes more than 30 minutes and there is some nice scenery along the way. The Rickshaw option doesn't last long, since it's a short ride from Arashiyama Station to the hotel, but it's a great photo opp. There is some information about the above on the hotel website, but it is hidden away.

Another nice perk is the welcome champagne reception you get on your first night. This is held in a building along the river close to the main entrance. For about 1 1/2 to 2 hours you sit at a private table with a nice river view and get a steady stream of free-flowing champagne.. There are also small side dishes you can order at no extra charge. We really enjoyed this. We had made a dinner reservation, but after this we were too full and had to cancel the reservation.
If you stay here, be sure you take advantage of these nice benefits.
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by Nagasaki Joe; Dec 25, 2018 at 7:43 pm Reason: To correct spelling mistakes.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 8:21 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
I stayed here one night in March 2018. I used 36,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points to book the stay, but normally it's around 55,000 UR points per night. With the new Marriott Rewards chart it will cost 85,000 points as a tier 8 property. At some point, I hope to write a review. A couple things that people may not be aware of because they are not heavily advertised, is that your reservation entitles you one of the following two options:

1. A free chauffeured car ride from Kyoto Station to the hotel, or
2. A free Rickshaw ride from Arashiyama Station to or from the hotel.

We took the the first option, which I think is a nice deal since the ride takes more than 30 minutes and there is some nice scenery along the way. The Rickshaw option doesn't last long, since it's a short ride from Arashiyama Station to the hotel, but it's a great photo opp. There is some information about the above on the hotel website, but it is hidden away.

Another nice perk is the welcome champagne reception you get on your first night. This is held in a building along the river close to the main entrance. For about 1 1/2 to 2 hours you sit at a private table with a nice river view and get a steady stream of free-flowing champagne.. There are also small side dishes you can order at no extra charge. We really enjoyed this. We had made a dinner reservation, but after this we were too full and had to cancel the reservation.
If you stay here, be sure you take advantage of these nice benefits.

I see that you were there for 1 night. The wonderful champagne by the river is not just to welcome but daily 4:30-6:30 —We were there 8 nights and took advantage of this peaceful respite every afternoon before dinner- we loved it. And it was very good champagne from Reims!

Also IIRC the free ride is either when you arrive or when you depart.

Last edited by damon88; Dec 25, 2018 at 8:40 pm
Old Dec 25, 2018, 9:10 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by damon88

I see that you were there for 1 night. The wonderful champagne by the river is not just to welcome but daily 4:30-6:30 —We were there 8 nights and took advantage of this peaceful respite every afternoon before dinner- we loved it. And it was very good champagne from Reims!

Also IIRC the free ride is either when you arrive or when you depart.
I figured that it must be offered daily if every new guest is invited, but I had no idea you could attend every day if your stay is longer. I don't think I could take eight straight days of free-flowing champagne. I guess this will be an added incentive to stay longer for many reading this post. I did mention that the Rickshaw ride was "to or from the hotel," but thanks for the further clarification. The free car ride I thought was only from Kyoto Station, but that too may also be the guest's choice, on arrival or departure. After reading your post, I checked the SPG website and found that they no longer list the availability of this amenity, so now I'm wondering if it's offered at all anymore. Below is the link where I believe they used to post this information, but no longer: If anyone plans to stay, best call the hotel to confirm.
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/maps...n-hotel-kyoto/
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:00 am

Just checked out two days ago - the complimentary transfer is available to Kyoto Station as well as from the station.

Upgrade - the hotel is frequently full so that will be the biggest determinant of your upgrade. It was fully booked on this 1-night stay due to public holidays in Japan, but I was nevertheless upgraded one category to a room with a balcony.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Do they still offer that rickshaw ride as well?

Would love to return to Suiran ... last time I was there I book their Kyo Tsukikoto room .... it was amazing
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:25 pm

currently seeing TSUKINONE available for cash booking. However it’s not available for points booking on Marriott website. if I understand correctly, TSUKINONE is considered to be standard room, and luxury collection does comply to no blackout policy. I called hotel directly tried to ask about this, they said they do not handle points bookings.. anyone have any idea what’s going on

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.