Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Suiran, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2019, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from May 2018:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...g-service-2621
Print Wikipost

Suiran, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
True. When I stayed recently, Deluxe was the only room for a SNA. However, they work very well with Elites on property, if not shortly before the stay via email.

The only thing the deluxe rooms have is the onsen. The superior rooms (base level) don't, I believe.

FYI, you have to request if you want Housekeeping to change the water daily in your onsen - otherwise, I believe its every 3 days. Depending on when you go and how many bugs are around etc, a daily swap may be worthwhile requesting.
I personally think the finishes in the deluxe room are substantially nicer than the two categories below it, but yes the onsen is the main appeal.

Also yes they're great with elite treatment. I've always been upgraded to at least the deluxe room during my stays, but with so few rooms I've honestly gotten very lucky and have only stayed two nights at a time, so at some times of the year it's better to just pay for it.
Old May 9, 2019, 2:45 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
I personally think the finishes in the deluxe room are substantially nicer than the two categories below it, but yes the onsen is the main appeal.

Also yes they're great with elite treatment. I've always been upgraded to at least the deluxe room during my stays, but with so few rooms I've honestly gotten very lucky and have only stayed two nights at a time, so at some times of the year it's better to just pay for it.
I think the regular rooms are still very nice, if definitely on the small side. So getting a deluxe room is a nice way to go, at the very least. But I'm not sure I would use the SNAs on them; it would depend on the length of stay and whether there are other hotels where my SNAs almost certainly would get me more.

As one who rarely likes to stay anywhere for 5 nights, I can say that our stay here for 5 nights was spectacular. We followed that with 2 nights at the also amazing RC Kyoto, but it is the Suiran stay that makes us yearn to return. We paid up to get the Presidential Suite for that first stay, and we almost certainly would try to do that again (or one of the other 3 specialty suites) for any future stay: it was that nice and that good a stay.

I also agree that they treat elites very well. But with only 39 rooms/suites, it's important to remember that treating elites well isn't always only about upgrades!
Old Jun 1, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: MH, CX Marco Polo Silver
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I think the regular rooms are still very nice, if definitely on the small side. So getting a deluxe room is a nice way to go, at the very least. But I'm not sure I would use the SNAs on them; it would depend on the length of stay and whether there are other hotels where my SNAs almost certainly would get me more.

As one who rarely likes to stay anywhere for 5 nights, I can say that our stay here for 5 nights was spectacular. We followed that with 2 nights at the also amazing RC Kyoto, but it is the Suiran stay that makes us yearn to return. We paid up to get the Presidential Suite for that first stay, and we almost certainly would try to do that again (or one of the other 3 specialty suites) for any future stay: it was that nice and that good a stay.

I also agree that they treat elites very well. But with only 39 rooms/suites, it's important to remember that treating elites well isn't always only about upgrades!
Thank you for your insights!
Would you mind shed some lights on how much did you pay for the upgrades?
Were you on award booking initially?
Old Jun 1, 2019, 9:35 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by allanyong
Thank you for your insights!
Would you mind shed some lights on how much did you pay for the upgrades?
Were you on award booking initially?
We booked award for 5 nights, but the hotel complimentarily pre-upgraded us to the Premier room with king bed—biggest room in the hotel aside from the 4 suites. That was all due to my Ambassador and my Ambassador status and the hotel being most gracious—as all 4 suites had been booked in advance.

A few months before our late April 2018 stay, I noticed the Presidential Suite had become available again. So after negotiating with the hotel through my Ambassador, we paid up $1000/night for that suite. (That was roughly the difference in price between the premium king room we already had and the suite.)

I realize most would never pay so much to upgrade. But we didn’t want to risk it. We wanted to stay in that suite. And we’d do it again without hesitation. (It also helped that we paid nothing for our Kioi Suite at the Prince Gallery, our Kamagawa Suite at the RC Kyoto, or our Grand Deluxe Skyline room at the StR Osaka.)
Old Jun 1, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
I reserve their Kyo Tsukikoto room before and it really worth the price.

Seeing they have very limited room, I wont expect any upgrades for elites.
If you very lucky or have @bhrubin as ambassador then you might get upgraded.

The service is amazing, and the staff are very proactive. ... and I wont hesitate to rebook the same room again or their Shiro Sumire room in case I visit Kyoto again in the future.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 12:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Can someone support on the breakfast situation so I can update the exec lounge sticky? Thanks!

Cheers.
joakgarp likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 12:05 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Can someone support on the breakfast situation so I can update the exec lounge sticky? Thanks!

Cheers.
In May 2018 it was a full breakfast comp’d as Plat benefit—as described in my review. I can’t speak to the benefit since Bonvoy though.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin

In May 2018 it was a full breakfast comp’d as Plat benefit—as described in my review. I can’t speak to the benefit since Bonvoy though.
Thanks. It might be the same, but I'm hoping someone can report post 08/18/18 to confirm. For now I'll put what you've reported w/ the 5/18 date.

Cheers.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
They dont have lounge
Old Jun 1, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Thanks. It might be the same, but I'm hoping someone can report post 08/18/18 to confirm. For now I'll put what you've reported w/ the 5/18 date.

Cheers.
I was there Feb 23-25. The breakfast is as it always has been. Full breakfast in the restaurant for 2 people. Either Japanese or Western breakfast option, not a buffet.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 12:16 pm

Thanks. I'll update the exec lounge sticky.

Cheers.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 12:28 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kaizen7
They dont have lounge

Not a lounge per se but when we were there in October 2016 (and received a complimentary upgrade to the Presidential Suite for our 8 night award stay !!) there was a lovely daily champagne offering in their riverside cafe.

We love Suiran so much. Our oldest son and his wife will be visiting in September and opted for the @bhrubin route- they are paying to upgrade their 5 night Award stay to the Presidential Suite.

We can’t believe it has already been 3 years and we haven’t returned yet. Hopefully soon.
CLEguy, bhrubin and kaizen7 like this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by damon88

Not a lounge per se but when we were there in October 2016 (and received a complimentary upgrade to the Presidential Suite for our 8 night award stay !!) there was a lovely daily champagne offering in their riverside cafe.

We love Suiran so much. Our oldest son and his wife will be visiting in September and opted for the @bhrubin route- they are paying to upgrade their 5 night Award stay to the Presidential Suite.

We can’t believe it has already been 3 years and we haven’t returned yet. Hopefully soon.
I remember reading the the champagne hour was for all guests, unrelated to room or status.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
I remember reading the the champagne hour was for all guests, unrelated to room or status.
That is correct.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 2:38 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
That is correct.

And I think I read they also switched to Veuve
bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.