Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Coronado Island Marriott Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coronado Island Marriott Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
I am Plat Premier therefore would get free breakfast, considering this property or the Marquis.

Looking to use SNA's and to get best value on parking.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
There is plenty of street parking available.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by jtp1947
There is plenty of street parking available.
Just to clarify - overnight parking?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:28 pm

Yes, overnight parking. Monitored parking I believe starts at 8 or 9 in the morning.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
Looking to spend a week here at Christmas with 2 kids. Also looking at the Marina property directly across the bridge. Any thoughts?
Old Jun 28, 2020, 11:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I spent one night here on points. Was looking forward to a peaceful getaway following SoCal business trip, but that was not in the cards.

Agent told me at check-in the property was sold out, and based on full parking lot, I believe it. Minimal Ambassador upgrade, from resort view king to bay view double on 2nd floor (of 3). Room was reasonably spacious and had a nice view of downtown SD. Recently renovated, but carpet already had numerous stains. In keeping with recent Marriott renovations, the furniture was designed to look good, but not for actual use - all seating hard and uncomfortable.

Double glazed windows kept out the noise from outdoors, which was good, because there was a lot of it. Location is very close to the ferry and it's pretty hectic on a busy weekend, with lots of people on both the lawn in front of the resort and the bay front walkway. There's also a busy container terminal right across the bay, and the sound of a container ship's idling engines carried across the water loud and clear in the early morning. Worst of all were the guests in surrounding rooms, including the couple next door who engaged in screaming match at 12:30 a.m. complete with multiple door slams.

Overall I liked the property quite a bit less than I thought I would. Don't think I'll return.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Kacee
I spent one night here on points. Was looking forward to a peaceful getaway following SoCal business trip, but that was not in the cards.

Agent told me at check-in the property was sold out, and based on full parking lot, I believe it. Minimal Ambassador upgrade, from resort view king to bay view double on 2nd floor (of 3). Room was reasonably spacious and had a nice view of downtown SD. Recently renovated, but carpet already had numerous stains. In keeping with recent Marriott renovations, the furniture was designed to look good, but not for actual use - all seating hard and uncomfortable.

Double glazed windows kept out the noise from outdoors, which was good, because there was a lot of it. Location is very close to the ferry and it's pretty hectic on a busy weekend, with lots of people on both the lawn in front of the resort and the bay front walkway. There's also a busy container terminal right across the bay, and the sound of a container ship's idling engines carried across the water loud and clear in the early morning. Worst of all were the guests in surrounding rooms, including the couple next door who engaged in screaming match at 12:30 a.m. complete with multiple door slams.

Overall I liked the property quite a bit less than I thought I would. Don't think I'll return.
Glad to hear that they've remodeled but as you noted not toward the comfort of the guests who stay here.

As I noted above (and especially now in the CV-19 era):

Originally Posted by DELee
Neither and nothing. If you want elite benefits, this is not the property you want.

David

p.s. And you end up paying for expensive (mostly) underground parking.
This is seriously one of the lamest Marriott-branded properties in California.

David
Old Jun 29, 2020, 7:54 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This is seriously one of the lamest Marriott-branded properties in California.
Just glad I wasn't paying $340/night, which was the cheapest available cash rate. (And at least they're not currently charging a resort fee - Marriott IME much better than Hyatt on this right now.)

Last edited by Kacee; Jun 29, 2020 at 8:00 am
Old Jun 29, 2020, 10:23 am

Was there a breakfast benefit?
Old Jun 29, 2020, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No. This place thinks it is a resort.

David
Old Jun 29, 2020, 1:37 pm

No, the restaurant was closed.

I've found free breakfasts at FS Marriotts to be few and far between. My sense is many properties are deliberately structuring their reopenings to avoid having to provide elite breakfasts.
SPN Lifer and jtp1947 like this.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, the restaurant was closed.

I've found free breakfasts at FS Marriotts to be few and far between. My sense is many properties are deliberately structuring their reopenings to avoid having to provide elite breakfasts.
I would note that this property did not offer elite breakfast as a benefit even in standard pre-CV19 days - it claims to be a resort.

In my mind, a last resort.

David
Old Jun 30, 2020, 12:18 am

I would note that this property did not offer elite breakfast as a benefit even in standard pre-CV19 days - it claims to be a resort.
Right, but the rules changed with the merger, with resorts now required to provide breakfast as a welcome amenity.
In my mind, a last resort.
Indeed.
SPN Lifer, Tanic and jtp1947 like this.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Just glad I wasn't paying $340/night, which was the cheapest available cash rate. (And at least they're not currently charging a resort fee - Marriott IME much better than Hyatt on this right now.)
Can you confirm whether this was automatic? I have an upcoming stay and was told 2 weeks go (prior to booking) that there was no fee (waived) because 2/3 pools, bar, spa, etc were closed. Today called to confirm and was told that it is still $40. Spoke to someone else who said it was now $30 and nothing to do with Titanium status.

thx
Old Aug 7, 2020, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by samosa
Can you confirm whether this was automatic? I have an upcoming stay and was told 2 weeks go (prior to booking) that there was no fee (waived) because 2/3 pools, bar, spa, etc were closed. Today called to confirm and was told that it is still $40. Spoke to someone else who said it was now $30 and nothing to do with Titanium status.
The place was jammed when I was there. I presume they realized demand was high enough they could get away with charging the fee.

Resort fee waivers were the norm at properties in April and May, the fees started to reappear in June, and now seem to be back at virtually all places.
samosa likes this.

Last edited by Kacee; Aug 7, 2020 at 4:35 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.