Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
Platinum Benefits: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30661401-post132.html (breakfast is no longer offered for free at the restaurant as of late 2018)

Transit
Transit times and fare on Taipei Metro (NanGang Station on Blue Line) - Select BL22 NanGang : https://web.metro.taipei/e/TicketALLresult.asp (Taipei Song Shan Airport TSA is Station BR 13)
Bus 1843 from/to TPE Airport: http://www.kingbus.com.tw/en/ticketPriceResult.php?sid=182 / http://www.kingbus.com.tw/en/ticketPriceResult.php?sid=181
High Speed Rail (NanGang Station) - https://www.thsrc.com.tw/en/timetable/searchresult
Regular Rail (NanGang Station) - http://twtraffic.tra.gov.tw/twrail/EN_QuickSearch.aspx
Print Wikipost

Courtyard Taipei [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2018, 8:08 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by Nazdoom
This hotel is taking the changes from the spg-Marriott merger to heart. When I stayed back in May the Platinum arrival gift was choice of points OR F&B (cupcake and Perrier). They had mentioned back then that that was a downgrade from the previous F&B choice but at least you had a choice.

Effective Aug 18, Platinums only get the points - no choice to opt for F&B instead. This is per the new PAG chart (in other words, they are no longer proactively offering more than they need to).

Considering there has been significant turnover at this hotel, not a good sign for what's to come - probably further scaling back of Courtyards in Asia in favor of higher end properties (as we know so well in USA) and budget cuts
Thanks for the update, are breakfast still offered at the restaurant or are they switching to lounge only? I got a 5 night stay next week so would be interesting to see. I thought about emailing the hotel to confirm benefits and treatment but figured nevermind given the low rate.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by jix
Thanks for the update, are breakfast still offered at the restaurant or are they switching to lounge only? I got a 5 night stay next week so would be interesting to see. I thought about emailing the hotel to confirm benefits and treatment but figured nevermind given the low rate.
Still available in both restaurant and lounge as a new Plat Premier. Restaurant leaves a lot to be desired (they do well at quantity of offerings but not quality) but it passes for a courtyard. Lounge is just a small selection of restaurant offerings, but MUCH QUIETER (restaurant is always close to capacity).
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:07 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
At category 2 and considering taipei hotel prices, this is quite a steal as far as redemption is concern.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by shevboyz
At category 2 and considering taipei hotel prices, this is quite a steal as far as redemption is concern.
Absolutely, 50k per 5 nights and plenty of suite upgrades!

I am concerned that the property is on a downwards trajectory though. When I asked why the PAG was devalued (no longer choice of F&B) their words were "we are category 2 now". Their GM does not attend on-site and their FO manager position is empty. My hunch is they've lost a lot of their top staff to other properties (Taipei Marriott market is growing very fast) and cutting costs will be new strategy going forward.

If booking far in advance I suggest booking a refundable rate and revisiting this thread to see what other cost cutting will have taken place.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 6:38 pm

Am also looking forward to your review in November. We'll be heading there in Dec as a 'new' MR Gold and would like to know if the new Golds would get lounge access or breakfast (in restaurant or lounge). Thanks

Originally Posted by msNJV
I am going this November. Here's to hoping for the best! Will let you know.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 7:59 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by doesun
Am also looking forward to your review in November. We'll be heading there in Dec as a 'new' MR Gold and would like to know if the new Golds would get lounge access or breakfast (in restaurant or lounge). Thanks
Lounge access is not a Gold benefit post merger.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

There is an over-supply of hotels in Taiwan with the downturn in inbound tourists from Mainland. This hotel also depends heavily on exhibits at the Nan Gang Exhibition Hall.

I almost think that with Leofoo closing the Westin Taipei at the end of the year, if they might re-flag this as a Westin down the road. Obviously they have to change the beds to Westin and probably have to improve the gym (add a pool, which can be challenging).
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:39 pm

I am heading to Taipei for two quick nights later this year. First time in the city. Any recommendations for which hotel (Marriott or SPG) is the simplest to get to from the airport? I would love the W but likely too $$ for this trip. Thanks
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:36 am
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by MaxFlying
Any recommendations for which hotel (Marriott or SPG) is the simplest to get to from the airport?
That'd be the Four Points Linkou, 15-20 min by metro.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by doesun
Currently staying and checking out tomorrow. They have serious wiring issues, let alone temperature control and TV apps(youtube/netflix) and channels not working properly. I will post more details once my stay is done. If what I am dealing with is consistent with other rooms, I would not recommend to spend their money or points until they fix it (or at least avoid the floor I am staying!) At this moment 12:19 am, instead of happily snoring in my comfy bed, I am dealing with the night manager regarding a lighting issue, same as last night. =(

Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:40 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Courtyard Taipei = Great Value on Points Redemptions

Courtyard Taipei

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Courtyard Taipei

No 359 Section 7 Zhongxiao East Road Nangang District Taipei, TW 11561

Courtyard Taipei = Great Value on Points Redemptions (10 Photos)

Courtyard Taipei

Courtyard Taipei opened three years ago and was 20k pts per night before August, but since then it has come down to 12.5 pts per night. I have stayed at Sheraton Grand and Grand Hyatt Taipei before, however because of a cheap points redemption and because of great reviews of CY on TripAdvisor I decided to give it a try.  

For the journey from the airport to the hotel I thought the quickest way was to take the airport MRT from the airport to Taoyuan HSR Station and then transfer to take the HSR to Nangang Station.  The total trip was supposed to be less than one hour compared to 80 minutes for the bus.  However it took more than one hour and the HSR was extremely crowded at rush hour on a Friday evening so very uncomfortable where people on the train could barely make their way to the toilet and there were suitcases blocking the way everywhere.  Also you need to pay separately for the airport MRT and then again another ticket at Taoyuan HSR station and there was a lineup there so the wait to buy tickets extended the total travel time quite a bit, not counting the time to change from MRT to HSR.  

On the way back we took bus 1843 from the Nangang bus station which is no more than 20m from the hotel door and you don’t even have to step foot outside – you just walk across the shopping mall.  The bus route is direct to the airport without a transfer for 80 min total but we found it far more convenient and more comfortable – we were almost alone on the bus on a Monday at 4pm and had free wifi and could sit down unlike in the train.  It was night and day compared to HSR.  Also I was led to believe that the bus ran only every hour but according to the schedule I got at the hotel it is more frequent than that and the wait difference with HSR is not as much as I thought.

IMG_1199.jpegIMG_1211.jpeg

I found the location of the hotel quite good being connected to a shopping mall, train station, MRT station, and bus station. It’s only four stops away from City Hall station where you have Taipei 101 within walking distance and a great shopping area.  

Room

There were no suites available online for my dates so I did not expect a suite upgrade and I did not ask.  However when I check several dates far into 2019 I am not seeing any suites online so I am not sure if these are just not shown at all for sale so perhaps there were suites when I stayed at CY after all and I was not upgraded, I don’t know.  Anyway we got a room on the top floor (30th) which is the same as the lounge floor so this must be the “Executive King” room type.  I was quite impressed with the room considering this is a CY.  The room is large for a non-suite and given that the hotel is new, I found the room significantly better than at Sheraton Grand which is starting to get up there in age. 

IMG_1160.jpegIMG_1161.jpegIMG_1162.jpeg

In the room you have a mobile phone with internet available that you can take with you in the city.  What a great perk to have to stayed connected while exploring the city. Also you can make free phone calls to China, USA, Canada, HK, Japan, Singapore, and South Korea.  There are not that many hotels where I have been which provides this kind of phone for guests, the others being Hyatt Regency Hong Kong Sha Tin and Grand Hyatt Bangkok.  It is not something I would expect from a Courtyard.  

If there is one drawback to the room it’s air conditioning as mentioned by several others in the thread.  The AC does not seem to respond to temperature controls at all – it kept blowing cold air regardless which temperature we set the room at so the room was way too cold and we had to manually turn on and turn off to keep the room at a comfortable and relatively stable temperature.  Obviously this is not doable in the night so we had to keep it off or otherwise we had to sleep with the bathrobe since it was so cold in the room.  

Dining

As Platinum we had the choice of breakfast in the restaurant or in the lounge, which is in contrast with several Marriott legacy hotels where you are limited to the lounge.  The choice in the restaurant is quite nice and it was not as chaotic as some other hotel breakfasts I have seen.  

IMG_1165.jpegIMG_1166.jpeg

Breakfast in the lounge is more peaceful and we found choice acceptable there.  For happy hour in the lounge there is food from 5:30pm to 7:30pm and drinks are a generous 4 hours from 5:30pm to 9:30pm.  If I compare to Sheraton Grand then for sure the lounge at Sheraton is far better, in fact some people think it’s one of the best Sheraton lounges in the world.  So a CY cannot compete.  But once again for CY standards the one in Taipei is better than anticipated.  There were several options of hot food including a soup station manned by a chef.  The choice was different every day and in fact the options were even changing a few times during the two hours because when they ran out of something, on occasion they replaced it with another dish so I was positively surprised by having quite a bit of choice available.  One negative about the lounge food is that it was sometimes redundant with food offered for breakfast.  Choice of alcohol was decent including sparkling wine.  Generally speaking the lounge is bright and airy and a nice place to spend time.  However on Saturday evening the lounge was very crowded and there were many children there so not the most pleasant experience.  On Sunday evening it was significantly more quiet.  That reminded me a bit of our experience in Conrad Seoul where several locals book a staycation on Friday and Saturday evenings which means the lounge is packed, and then from Sunday to Thursday the lounge returns to normal.  

IMG_1163.jpegIMG_1164.jpegIMG_1198.jpeg

Overall

Overall for 12.5k pts per night this is very good value and it’s hard to complain about the small issues.  Would I pay cash rates similar to Sheraton Grand for this hotel? Probably not; the rooms are nicer at CY but suite upgrades are possibly easier to get at Sheraton and the lounge is superior at Sheraton too.  Some might find the location of Nangang better for their purposes and if you care about crisp and modern rooms then maybe CY is a good choice relative to Sheraton Grand where the non-upgraded rooms are nothing to write home about.  

Courtyard Taipei = Great Value on Points Redemptions

Would you like to write a review on the Courtyard Taipei?

No, thank you.
Yes
yurtripper and SightseeMC like this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:47 pm

Revision to breakfast

Originally Posted by escape4
Introduction Courtyard Taipei opened three years ago and was 20k pts per night before August, but since then it has come down to 12.5 pts per night. I have stayed at Sheraton Grand and Grand Hyatt Taipei before, however because of a cheap points redemption and because of great reviews of CY on TripAdvisor I decided to give it a try. Location For the journey from the airport to the hotel I thought the quickest way was to take the airport MRT from the airport to Taoyuan HSR Station and then transfer to take the HSR to Nangang Station. The total trip was supposed to be less than one hour compared to 80 minutes for the bus. However it took more than one hour and the HSR was extremely crowded at rush hour on a Friday evening so very uncomfortable where people on the train could barely make their way to the toilet and there were suitcases blocking the way everywhere. Also you need to pay separately for the airport MRT and then again another ticket at Taoyuan HSR station and there was a lineup there so the wait to buy tickets extended the total travel time quite a bit, not counting the time to change from MRT to HSR. On the way back we took bus 1843 from the Nangang bus station which is no more than 20m from the hotel door and you don €™t even have to step foot outside €“ you just walk across the shopping mall. The bus route is direct to the airport without a transfer for 80 min total but we found it far more convenient and more comfortable €“ we were almost alone on the bus on a Monday at 4pm and had free wifi and could sit down unlike in the train. It was night and day compared to HSR. Also I was led to believe that the bus ran only every hour but according to the schedule I got at the hotel it is more frequent than that and the wait difference with HSR is not as much as I thought.I found the location of the hotel quite good being connected to a shopping mall, train station, MRT station, and bus station. It €™s only four stops away from City Hall station where you have Taipei 101 within walking distance and a great shopping area. Room There were no suites available online for my dates so I did not expect a suite upgrade and I did not ask. However when I check several dates far into 2019 I am not seeing any suites online so I am not sure if these are just not shown at all for sale so perhaps there were suites when I stayed at CY after all and I was not upgraded, I don €™t know. Anyway we got a room on the top floor (30th) which is the same as the lounge floor so this must be the €śExecutive King €ť room type. I was quite impressed with the room considering this is a CY. The room is large for a non-suite and given that the hotel is new, I found the room significantly better than at Sheraton Grand which is starting to get up there in age. In the room you have a mobile phone with internet available that you can take with you in the city. What a great perk to have to stayed connected while exploring the city. Also you can make free phone calls to China, USA, Canada, HK, Japan, Singapore, and South Korea. There are not that many hotels where I have been which provides this kind of phone for guests, the others being Hyatt Regency Hong Kong Sha Tin and Grand Hyatt Bangkok. It is not something I would expect from a Courtyard. If there is one drawback to the room it €™s air conditioning as mentioned by several others in the thread. The AC does not seem to respond to temperature controls at all €“ it kept blowing cold air regardless which temperature we set the room at so the room was way too cold and we had to manually turn on and turn off to keep the room at a comfortable and relatively stable temperature. Obviously this is not doable in the night so we had to keep it off or otherwise we had to sleep with the bathrobe since it was so cold in the room. Dining As Platinum we had the choice of breakfast in the restaurant or in the lounge, which is in contrast with several Marriott legacy hotels where you are limited to the lounge. The choice in the restaurant is quite nice and it was not as chaotic as some other hotel breakfasts I have seen. Breakfast in the lounge is more peaceful and we found choice acceptable there. For happy hour in the lounge there is food from 5:30pm to 7:30pm and drinks are a generous 4 hours from 5:30pm to 9:30pm. If I compare to Sheraton Grand then for sure the lounge at Sheraton is far better, in fact some people think it €™s one of the best Sheraton lounges in the world. So a CY cannot compete. But once again for CY standards the one in Taipei is better than anticipated. There were several options of hot food including a soup station manned by a chef. The choice was different every day and in fact the options were even changing a few times during the two hours because when they ran out of something, on occasion they replaced it with another dish so I was positively surprised by having quite a bit of choice available. One negative about the lounge food is that it was sometimes redundant with food offered for breakfast. Choice of alcohol was decent including sparkling wine. Generally speaking the lounge is bright and airy and a nice place to spend time. However on Saturday evening the lounge was very crowded and there were many children there so not the most pleasant experience. On Sunday evening it was significantly more quiet. That reminded me a bit of our experience in Conrad Seoul where several locals book a staycation on Friday and Saturday evenings which means the lounge is packed, and then from Sunday to Thursday the lounge returns to normal. Overall Overall for 12.5k pts per night this is very good value and it €™s hard to complain about the small issues. Would I pay cash rates similar to Sheraton Grand for this hotel? Probably not; the rooms are nicer at CY but suite upgrades are possibly easier to get at Sheraton and the lounge is superior at Sheraton too. Some might find the location of Nangang better for their purposes and if you care about crisp and modern rooms then maybe CY is a good choice relative to Sheraton Grand where the non-upgraded rooms are nothing to write home about.
Platinums now can only have breakfast on 7th floor if they pay a supplement. Only the lounge in complimentary. Unless breakfast included in room rate.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 3:15 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
I just made a booking at this hotel. At the confirmation page, I notice this.

Please note - From 01 June 2018, all disposable amenities-comb/razor/shower cap/toothbrush kit-will not be available in guest rooms
Does it mean those item are on request basis or the hotel is not providing at all?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by lingua101
I just made a booking at this hotel. At the confirmation page, I notice this.

Does it mean those item are on request basis or the hotel is not providing at all?
They seem to still be in the rooms, although there is a notice at check-in that if you decline them you’ll get a small gift. I’m sure they would still be available on request even if not in the rooms
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

In the "closing ceremony" of the Taipei Westin, which is owned by the same franchisee (Leo Foo), the reports said:

而六福萬怡開幕3年來營運績效持續提升,於今年12月達成單月損平、全年平均住房率達7成,年增近1成,國 際旅客比例達86%。據六福財報揭露,六福萬怡去年營收6.61億元,年增26.65%,今年前三季營收5 .32億元,年增14.43%。

- Reached single month loss (???) in December 2018 - not sure what that means - breakeven?
- 70% average occupancy rate in 2018 - 10% increase
- 86% of the guests are internatinal
- 2017 revenue NT$661M, 26.65% increase
- First 3Q in 2018 revenue NT$532M, 14.43 increase

They are hoping some of the guests of the Westin will move to the CY.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.