Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
Platinum Benefits: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30661401-post132.html (breakfast is no longer offered for free at the restaurant as of late 2018)

Transit
Transit times and fare on Taipei Metro (NanGang Station on Blue Line) - Select BL22 NanGang : https://web.metro.taipei/e/TicketALLresult.asp (Taipei Song Shan Airport TSA is Station BR 13)
Bus 1843 from/to TPE Airport: http://www.kingbus.com.tw/en/ticketPriceResult.php?sid=182 / http://www.kingbus.com.tw/en/ticketPriceResult.php?sid=181
High Speed Rail (NanGang Station) - https://www.thsrc.com.tw/en/timetable/searchresult
Regular Rail (NanGang Station) - http://twtraffic.tra.gov.tw/twrail/EN_QuickSearch.aspx
Print Wikipost

Courtyard Taipei [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
High cash rates is just a Taipei thing. Hotels and land in taipei are expensive to begin with. Also the W is a popular hang out spot among young Taiwanese, so many facilities like the pool and gym are often packed with non hotel guests. This got to be quite annoying actually but understandable. Of the many times I stayed there the buffet and pool were a complete zoo.

Oh whatt. The Courtyard’s location is one of its selling points. It’s literally on top of the Nangang HSR and MRT station so you are within 20-30 mins from everywhere. I’m staying there tomorrow night and my concern was also that it seemed way cheap and was thinking service would be compromised. I guess I’ll find out tomorrow but seems like the reviews all seemed positive.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
That's what I figured. The cash rate seemed high given the hard product too. I'm just a little unsure on the Courtyard's location. I have an evening, then a full day, then 3/4 of a day in Taipei, so I figure optimizing location to minimize time wasted on transit is important. This hotel looks like a crazy deal on points but it's a little ways out there, although still along transit.
That Courtyard (not to be confused with the new Courtyard downtown) is connected to MRT stations so it is quite easy to go anywhere you need. But personally, I prefer using Uber when in Taipei anyway. Ximending (Ximen Station area) is a lively area for young people in the evening (similar to Shinjuku in Tokyo) on the other side of Taipei, but it's just a 15 minute Uber ride costing $8 USD, compared to perhaps 45 minutes by MRT for 1 USD. I find Uber in Taiwan quite affordable so it is worth the premium to me, especially to be able to sight see during the drive. Also Taiwan requires all Uber cars to be rentals in great condition, so it is noticeably better than in some other countries.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:22 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cce5858
High cash rates is just a Taipei thing. Hotels and land in taipei are expensive to begin with. Also the W is a popular hang out spot among young Taiwanese, so many facilities like the pool and gym are often packed with non hotel guests. This got to be quite annoying actually but understandable. Of the many times I stayed there the buffet and pool were a complete zoo.

Oh whatt. The Courtyard’s location is one of its selling points. It’s literally on top of the Nangang HSR and MRT station so you are within 20-30 mins from everywhere. I’m staying there tomorrow night and my concern was also that it seemed way cheap and was thinking service would be compromised. I guess I’ll find out tomorrow but seems like the reviews all seemed positive.
Originally Posted by Nazdoom
That Courtyard (not to be confused with the new Courtyard downtown) is connected to MRT stations so it is quite easy to go anywhere you need. But personally, I prefer using Uber when in Taipei anyway. Ximending (Ximen Station area) is a lively area for young people in the evening (similar to Shinjuku in Tokyo) on the other side of Taipei, but it's just a 15 minute Uber ride costing $8 USD, compared to perhaps 45 minutes by MRT for 1 USD. I find Uber in Taiwan quite affordable so it is worth the premium to me, especially to be able to sight see during the drive. Also Taiwan requires all Uber cars to be rentals in great condition, so it is noticeably better than in some other countries.
I appreciate both of your advice. I will not worry so much about the location then since it's located close to transit anyway. I just figured the Grand Hyatt and W being more into the city core could cut down on transit time, but it may not be a large difference.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:47 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
I appreciate both of your advice. I will not worry so much about the location then since it's located close to transit anyway. I just figured the Grand Hyatt and W being more into the city core could cut down on transit time, but it may not be a large difference.
I did honestly find the metro travel to be very slow - around 30 minutes from Nangang to Taipei Main Station, but Nangang (right below the Courtyard) is also a high-speed station. Around $4 for a 6-minute trip on the high speed train, instead of a 30-minute trip. I just wish I knew the hours better, as I missed the last high-speed train when I was out at Shillin Night Market, turning a 30 minute trip into 1h13.

Also, the 1843 bus from TPE to Nangang is a great bus, for around $5 and a 60 minute ride, versus Uber which was $50 for UberX and around 50 minutes - all depending on if you're on a business or personal trip!
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:52 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cce5858
Hopefully you had a good stay - I was worried as well, as it was the lowest redemption rate, and I was worried until I saw the reviews for it here and elsewhere. I found that it didn't show any age - as in, it was very well taken care of in the rooms and public spaces, and had nice touches such as local custom art displays near the elevator on every floor. The proximity not just to rail, but also the shopping centre and food options as another bonus.

I think it's very under-valued in it's pricing, but I'd never complain, given what's happened since the merger!
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

As others posted, they no longer allow any elites to eat breakfast at the restaurant for free. While this still follows the Marriott policy, it is kind of disappointing since most of the hotels in Asia I have visited allow that.

Obviously it is a cost-cutting measure. I think if they should at least allow Ambassador and offer some kind of discounted rates for others.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Absolute
I did honestly find the metro travel to be very slow - around 30 minutes from Nangang to Taipei Main Station, but Nangang (right below the Courtyard) is also a high-speed station. Around $4 for a 6-minute trip on the high speed train, instead of a 30-minute trip. I just wish I knew the hours better, as I missed the last high-speed train when I was out at Shillin Night Market, turning a 30 minute trip into 1h13.

Also, the 1843 bus from TPE to Nangang is a great bus, for around $5 and a 60 minute ride, versus Uber which was $50 for UberX and around 50 minutes - all depending on if you're on a business or personal trip!
Well, you are comparing the Metro (10 stations to Taipei Main - about 20 minutes) with the High Speed Rail (1 Station). Then you have to figure in the wait time and schedule for the HSR. There is also the Taiwan Rail trains (2 stations to Taipei Main).

The airport bus' published time between NanGang and TPE Airport is 90 minutes.

Another alternative is take the HSR to Taoyuan (30 minutes) and then take the Taoyuan Metro backwards (20 minutes) to the airport.

There is a decent amount of walk between the Airport MRT and the Taipei MRT at Taipei Main.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by username
Well, you are comparing the Metro (10 stations to Taipei Main - about 20 minutes) with the High Speed Rail (1 Station). Then you have to figure in the wait time and schedule for the HSR. There is also the Taiwan Rail trains (2 stations to Taipei Main).

The airport bus' published time between NanGang and TPE Airport is 90 minutes.

Another alternative is take the HSR to Taoyuan (30 minutes) and then take the Taoyuan Metro backwards (20 minutes) to the airport.

There is a decent amount of walk between the Airport MRT and the Taipei MRT at Taipei Main.
Unless it’s raining or you’re travelling at peak congestion times I find the bus is actually the easiest and quickest at 60-65m. Unfortunately I’ve also sat on it for three hours once when travelling at peak times. I usually Take the metro / taoyuan HSR when land at around 5pm and the bus heading out to airport midday. Metro/ metro takes a long time and long walk. However sometimes you arrive at the HSR and is a long queue for the ticket machines and you just miss the connection so you end up with a 30 minute wait.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:37 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Just curious how is the location of the hotel. Nangang is quite far east, isn't it?

I have booked 3 nights on this hotel with points as it is very cheap. Now I am seeing Courtyard Taipei Downtown is selling around TWD 4,000 on the Saturday .

Should I book CY Tapiei Downtown on the first night and move to Nangang on the remaining 2 nights?

I am going for leisure and have been to Taipei many time, but I never been to Nangang as it is quite out of the way.

Any though?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

NanGang is really not that far - it is BL22 on the MRT while City Hall is BL18 and Taipei Main is BL12 (the stations are numbered in sequence). https://english.metro.taipei/cp.aspx?n=46A82F0C116392CB and select BL22 will give you the transit times to all the stations in the Metro. Because of the Metro/HSR/Taiwan Rail/Bus, I would argue the Courtyard NanGang is actually more convenient.

I would take advantage of the low redemption while it lasts.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:55 pm

NanGang is really not that far - it is BL22 on the MRT while City Hall is BL18 and Taipei Main is BL12 (the stations are numbered in sequence). https://english.metro.taipei/cp.aspx?n=46A82F0C116392CB and select BL22 will give you the transit times to all the stations in the Metro. Because of the Metro/HSR/Taiwan Rail/Bus, I would argue the Courtyard NanGang is actually more convenient.

The CY Taipei Dtwn is not exactly on a MRT line, although there are multiple bus lines right in front of the hotel. If you are going to take a Uber or taxi anyways, it’s more convenient at the Dtwn location but at twice the cost redemption wise, I would stay at Nangang.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lallied
Unless it’s raining or you’re travelling at peak congestion times I find the bus is actually the easiest and quickest at 60-65m. Unfortunately I’ve also sat on it for three hours once when travelling at peak times. I usually Take the metro / taoyuan HSR when land at around 5pm and the bus heading out to airport midday. Metro/ metro takes a long time and long walk. However sometimes you arrive at the HSR and is a long queue for the ticket machines and you just miss the connection so you end up with a 30 minute wait.
The problems with the bus are:

1 - infrequent - compared with other bus routes (e.g. to TSA Airport)
2 - poor service - drivers and baggage helpers are not very polite (i.e. compared with Narita / Hanede but it is a lot cheaper)
3 - subject to traffic problems - it makes a few stops in the city before it gets on the freeway

I do agree if you go during non-rush hour and the schedule works out, it is the easiest. It is steps away from the hotel's exit on the first floor and the station is not very crowded.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

If you are into cycling, NanGang CY has a Youbike station right outside and it is a few blocks from the KeeLung River Bike Path.

However, do bike carefully on the local streets/sidewalks!
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:21 am

The problems with the bus are:

1 - infrequent - compared with other bus routes (e.g. to TSA Airport)
2 - poor service - drivers and baggage helpers are not very polite (i.e. compared with Narita / Hanede but it is a lot cheaper)
3 - subject to traffic problems - it makes a few stops in the city before it gets on the freeway

I do agree if you go during non-rush hour and the schedule works out, it is the easiest. It is steps away from the hotel's exit on the first floor and the station is not very crowded.
I have always found the drivers to be very friendly and helpful and the buses are fine albeit not as perfect as in Japan. However, the three hours is 90min on motorway and 90min in city centre in gridlock. I wouldn’t take if raining or peak travel times. It’s also pretty frequent esp when heading to airport and can pick a time, sometimes every 30m. Schedule below

https://web.taiwanbus.tw/eBUS/subsys...28&Language=en

It also takes some time to figure out metro and HSR given you need seperate tickets / passes / cards, and it can be hard to find the connections when you are tired. And if have a lot of luggage......

Ergo, if not experienced then bus is potentially longer but stress free. If an experienced traveller and have a loaded card, or cash for the HSR machines (not all accept cc) then agree metro +/- HSR most reliably fastest.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:37 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T

But I also tempted with the TWD 4,xxx rate on the CY Downtown

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.