Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Shanghai Marriott Marquis City Centre, China [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shanghai Marriott Marquis City Centre, China [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2018, 6:02 pm

While my previous stay was spectacular and I have reccomended the Shanghai City Center FS Marriott many times, my stay this weekend was painful.
​​​​​​
Booked for one night for a 22 hour layover to do some sightseeing. I am platinum and arrived at the hotel at 2pm, to be told no room was available yet as housekeeping needed to flip them still. I was told it can take housekeeping between 1-3 hours to flip a room because of the volume (doubtful). I was asked to wait in the lounge for up to an hour and thatbtheybwoukd mark it priority, which is annoying after a long flight where you want to immediately shower and change, but I agreed. Front desk said he would call the lounge and let them know the situation and that they woukd take care of me and let me know ASAP when I could finish checkin (still had no keys).

Of course nobody communicated to the lounge staff so I had to explain it for them. Then waited 50 minutes without hearing any updates so I asked one of the attendants to look into it for me. She came back saying my room wouldn't be ready until 6pm. Yes, 6pm. I had her confirm several times because of the potential of a language barrier but indeed 6pm for platinum member checkin.

I asked her to bring the duty manager to the lounge and she disappeared and never came back. I never saw her again. 20 minutes later I asked another lounge attendant and she said a room was ready (evidentally nobody felt the need to proactively tell me) and she gave me keys. I asked for help with luggage while I went to the room. Of course the luggage still wasn't moved 20 mimutes later. At that point I went to the lobby.

Front office manager didn't really buy the story ("why not available to 6pm, that's impossible") and said he would investigate. Apparently he watched CCTV footage from the lounge to see who I had talked to and to interview them and we found out the attendants confused me with someone else who wanted to switch rooms - even though I gave my unique last name. To compensate for wasting 3 hours of my limited time he proactively offerred me a bottle of wine from the lounge.

Next day, I requested a 7am wake up call via the app so i could catch my flight. By 730 it had not come, so when I woke up I asked the duty manager and for whatever reason the night shift didnt process my request even though I had the record in my app, which she photographed. I made my flight but shaved another 30 minutes because of their error. Verbal apology for the wake up call issue and a verbal promise to upgrade me if I stay again (because I want to show back up and wait to 9pm for a suite right?).
​​​
Anyways, bad experience. I left the bottle of wine. I wrote the gm since the entire experience felt like nobody cared.
barracuda93 likes this.
Old May 14, 2018, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Sorry to hear this trip experience wasn't as good as the last one. On a dif note - was there a reason you didn't just call the front desk to set a wake-up call? If I'm in-house I do that, as it's easier than depending on the app which may or may not work.

Cheers.
Old May 14, 2018, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Sorry to hear this trip experience wasn't as good as the last one. On a dif note - was there a reason you didn't just call the front desk to set a wake-up call? If I'm in-house I do that, as it's easier than depending on the app which may or may not work.

Cheers.
Thanks. Yes, the reason was the hotel blamed the, prior issue on language barrier so I opted to use the app for requests as it's written and wake up call is a standard button (no room for misunderstanding)
Old Oct 16, 2019, 1:54 am

Does anyone have a contact email for this property?
Old Oct 16, 2019, 2:53 am
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by jasonz9238
Does anyone have a contact email for this property?
Hi jasonz9238, you can contact our Shanghai Marriott Hotel City Centre via this email: [email protected]

Best regards,

Siti Shahnas
Social Media Team
Marriott International
[email protected]
Old Dec 24, 2023, 12:30 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Moderator team, can we please rename this thread to reflect the hotel’s new Marquis branding as Shanghai Marriott Marquis City Centre?

I just arrived - “Marquis” is well-deserved.
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 6:21 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
While not perfect, I really appreciated the experience at the Shanghai Marriott Marquis City Centre - a great way to end a fantastic trip to Shanghai - here are my impressions:

Pros:
  • Upgraded to a full suite on the 20th floor - 1.5 baths, full separation, etc
  • Overall design was traditional and classy
  • Yummy cheesecake left as a welcome gift
  • Nice view towards New World Emporium, the Conrad, Raddison New World, and even the Pudong trio in the distance
  • Shower pressure was very strong from the rainfall head
  • When I told them I had an 11 PM departure, they offered 9 PM checkout (talk about stressful), so we settled on 7 PM - they didn’t hesitate, even with the suite
  • 37th floor lounge (you have to change elevators if your room is below 23) is strong - tasty desserts even during afternoon tea and Bailey’s
  • They offer breakfast in the restaurant or the lounge - enjoyed the restaurant - good omelet, yummy egg tart, pretty good pancakes (though, I couldn’t find any syrup), good hashbrown (crispy)
  • When I checked out, they gave out a luggage tag as a gift

Neutral:
  • Bed covers are decently thick for Shanghai standards, and pillows are decently plush

Cons:
  • Mattress is overly firm - like really firm
  • Shower drain did not drain very quickly at all, leaving me in water up to the tops of my feet

I would return.

Photos:

Old Mar 9, 2024, 1:44 am

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Hi all, am deciding between this property and the JW Marriott Tomorrow Square. The JW is around 30% more than this property with similar reviews and so I am leaning towards this property. Does anyone know which is the better property and has a better club lounge and upgrade benefits? Am titanium with Marriott and will appreciate your feedback . Thanks!
Old Mar 9, 2024, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lonsinla
Hi all, am deciding between this property and the JW Marriott Tomorrow Square. The JW is around 30% more than this property with similar reviews and so I am leaning towards this property. Does anyone know which is the better property and has a better club lounge and upgrade benefits? Am titanium with Marriott and will appreciate your feedback . Thanks!
Marquis is better IMHO just because the elevator situation is better. Lounges are fine at both hotels, similar all around but I don’t like changing elevators mid-level to get to my room.
Lonsinla likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 9:46 am

Stayed here for a one night layover on the way home and enjoyed it. The location was good to allow us to easily get to Nanjing Rd and the Bund for our limited time (though both were too mobbed to enjoy during the Chinese Memorial Day and we quickly fled to less crowded areas). No luck with any substantial upgrade (Titanium) other than a club room but that may have been to high holiday occupancy. Rate was about $140 USD all in for a last minute booking, which I thought was pretty good for Shanghai. The standard club room was fine, pretty modern and fresh feeling and large enough for a short stay. Welcome fruit plate was forgettable and untouched.

The lounge was excellent by Chinese standards. It was busy but spacious enough that seating and crowing wasn't a problem. Good service and a very respectable evening food and booze spread, definitely dinner-worthy. I was happy to find among the entrees a tasty vegetarian coconut milk cauliflower curry- and my wife was happy when the chef whipped out a large pot of fresh lobster (first time we've seen that in a lounge, even in Asia). He said to my wife, "Take as much as you want; I have more. My boss probably wouldn't be happy about it but he's off today!"

Breakfast in the restaurant was good but again very busy due to the holiday. In retrospect, on an extended stay it might have been worth trying the lounge to see how it compares though I usually choose the restaurant.

Overall a very nice property and a good way to end our trip
Old Apr 10, 2024, 3:36 am

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by gil123
Stayed here for a one night layover on the way home and enjoyed it. The location was good to allow us to easily get to Nanjing Rd and the Bund for our limited time (though both were too mobbed to enjoy during the Chinese Memorial Day and we quickly fled to less crowded areas). No luck with any substantial upgrade (Titanium) other than a club room but that may have been to high holiday occupancy. Rate was about $140 USD all in for a last minute booking, which I thought was pretty good for Shanghai. The standard club room was fine, pretty modern and fresh feeling and large enough for a short stay. Welcome fruit plate was forgettable and untouched.

The lounge was excellent by Chinese standards. It was busy but spacious enough that seating and crowing wasn't a problem. Good service and a very respectable evening food and booze spread, definitely dinner-worthy. I was happy to find among the entrees a tasty vegetarian coconut milk cauliflower curry- and my wife was happy when the chef whipped out a large pot of fresh lobster (first time we've seen that in a lounge, even in Asia). He said to my wife, "Take as much as you want; I have more. My boss probably wouldn't be happy about it but he's off today!"

Breakfast in the restaurant was good but again very busy due to the holiday. In retrospect, on an extended stay it might have been worth trying the lounge to see how it compares though I usually choose the restaurant.

Overall a very nice property and a good way to end our trip
Am staying here for 4 days this month. Will report back with pictures after my stay. I did request for a Suite Uograde using my upgrade certificate. Will see if that comes through
Old Apr 11, 2024, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by gil123
The lounge was excellent by Chinese standards.
I totally agree. This is a great Lounge. Much better than many Lounges I have been to in many other countries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.