Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong SkyCity Marriott [Master Thread]

Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer

Hotel email address: [email protected]>
Print Wikipost

Hong Kong SkyCity Marriott [Master Thread]

Old Mar 9, 2020, 12:25 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Not to get too off topic but I would never drink the water out of the faucet in HK. I go to HK 10-12 times a year usually and actually have a family home there. I'm not sure I've heard of anyone drinking direct from the faucet without a filter. I might only know germaphobes but bottled water is cheap and readily available
Old Jan 22, 2021, 11:27 am

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
Disney

I'm a platinum and am thinking of booking a stay here in December with the family (2 adults and 2 children ages 5 and 10). We will probably be in Hong Kong for 5 days in total and will probably go to Disneyland for a couple of days assuming that we are vaccinated by then and things are reasonably back to normal. I'm wondering if it is worthwhile staying here 5 nights on points (80K total), staying at one of the Hyatts in the city (I'm a Globalist), or a combination of the two? I see that the hotel has (at least during non-Covid times) a shuttle to Disneyland.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by gspurr
I'm a platinum and am thinking of booking a stay here in December with the family (2 adults and 2 children ages 5 and 10). We will probably be in Hong Kong for 5 days in total and will probably go to Disneyland for a couple of days assuming that we are vaccinated by then and things are reasonably back to normal. I'm wondering if it is worthwhile staying here 5 nights on points (80K total), staying at one of the Hyatts in the city (I'm a Globalist), or a combination of the two? I see that the hotel has (at least during non-Covid times) a shuttle to Disneyland.
There are so few things close to the hotel, so even if it is convenient for Disney, I'd say stay in town. Or at least stay in town for the days that you are not going to be spending at Disney.
​​​​​
Old Jan 22, 2021, 4:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
There are so few things close to the hotel, so even if it is convenient for Disney, I'd say stay in town. Or at least stay in town for the days that you are not going to be spending at Disney.
​​​​​
Agreed, if visiting with kids you may want to also consider spending some time at Ocean Park as well. There is a nearby Marriott Ocean Park (resort) that is a lot of fun for kids as it has a huge pool and themed rooms. There is also the Ovolo Southside near to Ocean Park if you want a cut price option.
As another alternative, if you're really keen on the area near the airport then there is also a newly opened Sheraton (and the four points should have opened as well fully) in Tung Chung to consider. The location is a little bit less airport driven, you would probably be getting a taxi around there though (relatively cheap in HK anyway), though you could also get the MTR (public metro) after a 15 minute walk to get to Disney. It has a large mall nearby which would provide more eating options.

You may want to take a read of the full list of Hong Kong hotels and think about if any of these better meet your needs, personally I would be suggesting a hotel in town, so either the W, Ritz Carlton or JW Marriott. The W and Ritz would get you out to Disney via public transport easily on the Orange line. Hong Kong's Disney is not large and, unless crowds really return at scale, could all be visited in a day if the kids can stand that:
Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Hong Kong, 2014-present

So in summary, as someone who lives in Hong Kong, I would not be suggesting the SkyCity hotel for a five day stay, unless you really want to eat their nice seafood buffet every night - it is a bit of a pain to get to anywhere and is certainly set up as an airport hotel - and HK has so much alternative choice in the city centre, which is not far away.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 4:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
5 nights here is way too long. HK is easy to get around and is an awesome city so other Marriott properties are convenient enough. There is absolutely nothing around this property so more than 1 night would not be fun
Old Jan 22, 2021, 7:52 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by gspurr
I have used it as a base for Disney on a long layover with the kids and it is convenient. You can buy Disney tickets at the desk and charge to your room (earning MRR points) and they have the shuttle. That is 1 day. You could do another day heading up to the Buddha on the Lantau Island cable car but there is nothing else in the area after that. So while its a nice hotel with a good lounge, I agree with the other posters you would be better off heading into town for at least 3 of your nights, if not all.
Ocean Park thread has had a lot of negative posts recently. Shame, as I was thinking of staying at OP next time I pass through with the kids, but now figure we're better off in town
Old Sep 22, 2021, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
So I had to move a Jan 2022 HKG trip to May 2022 because a host in Macau told me the quarantine strict rules were expected to remain in place through at least February 2022.
I had ideal flights, but now I arrive at HKG from ICN at 10:30 pm having gone OKC-ATL-ICN. Having enjoyed SkyCity on previous visits to HKG, I will go to SkyCity for a few hours then take a ferry the next morning to Macau.
After a few days in Macau, I return to HKG and SkyCity works well for a brief stay. One challenge is that my HKG-ICN flights leaves at 12:30 am. (I have a long layover at ICN, but will use one of the 'hotels' inside the ICN airport.)
I know that some Marriott properties in places like Ecuador and Brazil will allow one to pay for four hours past late check out, but I assume this is not the case with SkyCity. In other words, one must pay full fare even though I would leave the hotel by 9 pm, right?
Old Sep 22, 2021, 4:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by Xeno
So I had to move a Jan 2022 HKG trip to May 2022 because a host in Macau told me the quarantine strict rules were expected to remain in place through at least February 2022.
I had ideal flights, but now I arrive at HKG from ICN at 10:30 pm having gone OKC-ATL-ICN. Having enjoyed SkyCity on previous visits to HKG, I will go to SkyCity for a few hours then take a ferry the next morning to Macau.
After a few days in Macau, I return to HKG and SkyCity works well for a brief stay. One challenge is that my HKG-ICN flights leaves at 12:30 am. (I have a long layover at ICN, but will use one of the 'hotels' inside the ICN airport.)
I know that some Marriott properties in places like Ecuador and Brazil will allow one to pay for four hours past late check out, but I assume this is not the case with SkyCity. In other words, one must pay full fare even though I would leave the hotel by 9 pm, right?
I'd contact the hotel directly about this one as you cannot book this scenario online anyway. You don't say if you have status that will get you lounge access there because another scenario would be to use the Platinum late check-out until 4pm and be nice to the lounge staff so you can hang around in the lounge for the additional few hours.

Slightly off topic, but it has to be raised, please do ensure that all these travel reservations are fully flexible and cancellable because what you propose hasn't been possible for 18 months and there's no indication from the authorities when and if there will be any loosening of HK's quarantine or immigration requirements which currently are among the strictest in the world and there's a great deal of frustration among the travelling public in HK about this as it effectively seals this city territory off from the rest of the world. You also don't say if you have residency in HK which will also affect your ability to board flights heading to HK from countries like the US. Hence, ensure everything you book can be cancelled and don't hold your breath. What's happening in the Rest of the World to open up and live with the great plague is not happening in this part of the world.
Xeno likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by ftrichard
I'd contact the hotel directly about this one as you cannot book this scenario online anyway. You don't say if you have status that will get you lounge access there because another scenario would be to use the Platinum late check-out until 4pm and be nice to the lounge staff so you can hang around in the lounge for the additional few hours.

Slightly off topic, but it has to be raised, please do ensure that all these travel reservations are fully flexible and cancellable because what you propose hasn't been possible for 18 months and there's no indication from the authorities when and if there will be any loosening of HK's quarantine or immigration requirements which currently are among the strictest in the world and there's a great deal of frustration among the travelling public in HK about this as it effectively seals this city territory off from the rest of the world. You also don't say if you have residency in HK which will also affect your ability to board flights heading to HK from countries like the US. Hence, ensure everything you book can be cancelled and don't hold your breath. What's happening in the Rest of the World to open up and live with the great plague is not happening in this part of the world.
My profile mentions M Titanium so yes I would have lounge access. Come to think of it, I think that is what I did when I flew out of Rio three years ago. Thanks for the reminder that I could bring up during my first stay on arrival from USA via ICN.
My DL ticket with GUCs can be reused if this trip falls apart. I am depending on friends in HKG and Macau to keep me informed and anything I can glean from FT.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 3:30 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by Xeno
My profile mentions M Titanium so yes I would have lounge access. Come to think of it, I think that is what I did when I flew out of Rio three years ago. Thanks for the reminder that I could bring up during my first stay on arrival from USA via ICN.
My DL ticket with GUCs can be reused if this trip falls apart. I am depending on friends in HKG and Macau to keep me informed and anything I can glean from FT.
More reliable sources would be the HK and Macau government web sites, found easily using Google, that detail current immigration and quarantine requirements and that any predictions about how these requirements may change by May next year are pure fantasies and conjecture as government plans are not publicised much in advance and are liable to change at very short notice. The only travel plan I would have any degree of confidence booking now for May would be a one-way ticket out of HK.
Xeno likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 6:31 am

Thanks. One of my friends in Macau sent me one or more of the links you mentioned. Unfortunately, if the May 2022 trip does not come together it will likely be my last chance to return to the area as my travel budget disappears in 2023.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 7:35 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Sky City Marriott not available effective today, Dec 1, 2021

I received an email informing me that Sky CIty Marriott woudl not honor my reservation for Sep 22-24, 2022. You are iunabel to make reservations at this hotel for any future date.

Their wording below:

Dear aaupgrade,

Warmest greeting from the Hong Kong SkyCity Marriott Hotel!

We do apologize to inform you that our hotel will not accept and accommodate any non-Airline Crew bookings starts from 1st Dec 2021 onwards. Based on this latest arrangement, we are writing to inform you that the reservation (Confirmation Number: ) from 22 Sep 2022 to 24 Sep 2022 will be cancelled accordingly.

Do let us know if any further assistance do require.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience caused.

We truly appreciate your kind understanding on this matter. Thank you again for your support and we look forward to welcome you in the future.

Best regards,

Reservations Department

Hong Kong SkyCity Marriott Hotel
1 Sky City Road East, Hong Kong International Airport, Lantau, Hong Kong

T: 39691888 | F: 39692023

skycitymarriott.com
My reply to hotel:

You, Marriott, have a contract with me for accommodations. Your web site offered the room and I accepted the price and terms you offered. You are now informing me that you are breaking that contract with me. You have no honor and cannot be trusted.

Are you no longer a Marriott property? If you are still a Marriott property then you should honor your commitments to its customers or leave the Marriott family. If you have already left Marriott, then good riddance.

Sincere regards,

aaupgrade

I called Marriot titanium reservations and they were of no help, but asked to speak with a supervisor. She put me on hold and came back and said they are a quarentine hotel. To which I responded that they are not listed on https://www.coronavirus.gov.hk/eng/d...ted-hotel.html so I told her whoever told her that, was lying. I also told her that quarantine hotels only go through February 22, 2022 so canceling a stay in September of 2022 doesn't make sense unless they were being opportunistic at the expense of Marriott customers who already have reservations. I asked her for an email address for customer relations. She told me there is no email address for customer relations.

IMO, this hotel should be deflagged.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
I received an email informing me that Sky CIty Marriott woudl not honor my reservation for Sep 22-24, 2022. You are iunabel to make reservations at this hotel for any future date.

Their wording below:

My reply to hotel:

You, Marriott, have a contract with me for accommodations. Your web site offered the room and I accepted the price and terms you offered. You are now informing me that you are breaking that contract with me. You have no honor and cannot be trusted.

Are you no longer a Marriott property? If you are still a Marriott property then you should honor your commitments to its customers or leave the Marriott family. If you have already left Marriott, then good riddance.

Sincere regards,

aaupgrade

I called Marriot titanium reservations and they were of no help, but asked to speak with a supervisor. She put me on hold and came back and said they are a quarentine hotel. To which I responded that they are not listed on https://www.coronavirus.gov.hk/eng/d...ted-hotel.html so I told her whoever told her that, was lying. I also told her that quarantine hotels only go through February 22, 2022 so canceling a stay in September of 2022 doesn't make sense unless they were being opportunistic at the expense of Marriott customers who already have reservations. I asked her for an email address for customer relations. She told me there is no email address for customer relations.

it might become a quarantine hotel for airline crews only
3rdworldresident and anteater like this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 8:52 am

Programs: Costco Club
Originally Posted by aaupgrade

Their wording below:

My reply to hotel:

Sincere regards,

aaupgrade

Sorry but they don't owe you anything, especially when giving you what 8 months notice?
Old Dec 1, 2021, 9:30 am

Agreed. They gave you plenty of notice and I am sure that there is a good reason behind the cancellation. It's time to set aside your anger and move on.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.