Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lyon Marriott Hotel Cité Internationale, France [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lyon Marriott Hotel Cité Internationale, France [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: Starwoods/ Marriott Life Time Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, and HP
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
Had a four night stay at the end of May. No Executive Lounge, Platinums and above given one free drink (up to $14USD) nightly/daily at the on-site bar. Breakfast was average; cooked to order eggs if you want them. The room I had (508) was large enough and overlooked the river, there was also a nice balcony. There is a bus stop just outside the hotel with several lines that take you into the historic or city center (you can purchase single-ride tickets from the driver). Overall, a nice stay, but not much of a choice if you're looking for Marriott properties, it's the only one in Lyon.
In 2015 I booked a 7 night stay when the hotel was Hilton. The week I stayed, the hotel was rebranded a Marriott. Hilton/Marriott honored the reservation and Marriott even honored my Hilton Diamond status. They upgraded us to a great suite with Lounge access. I am sorry to see that the lounge is closed. It was an outstanding lounge.As was stated above, the hotel is in a great location.

Last edited by 360guy; Jun 18, 2019 at 2:41 pm Reason: spelling error
Old Jul 7, 2021, 11:49 am

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Anyone stay here recently? Looks like it’s still the only Marriott property in Lyon.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 2:37 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by rdurlabhji
Anyone stay here recently? Looks like it’s still the only Marriott property in Lyon.
It's closed until mid/end of August. A Moxy opened recently at the airport.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Originally Posted by GVA
It's closed until mid/end of August. A Moxy opened recently at the airport.
I'm looking to stay in September so hopefully it will be open. I guess I'll be on the bleeding edge for a report if I end up in Lyon.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 8:25 pm

Had a two night stay this past October. I was hesitant, given the recent poor reviews, but this appeared to be the best choice of a meagre selection from my preferred chains. IHG or Accor are better represented. That being said, I was relatively satisfied with my stay. I applied two SNA's that resulted in my being assigned a junior suite on a high floor. The layout was a triangular shaped open concept with a sofa bed in front of the patio doors leading to a large terrace. The view was towards the Parc de la Tête d'Or, not the river. Furnishings were in good repair, if somewhat dated. There was a dining table with chairs, but no desk. Outlets were provided on either side of the king bed, so no issues plugging in whatever device you or your partner wanted to use while reposing. There was a stocked minibar and a Nespresso type machine.

As others have already mentioned, there was no longer an Executive Lounge. As a Titanium, in addition to the breakfast buffet, I was allowed to take whatever I wished from the minibar, which basically held soft drinks, beer, water and juice. Both the minibar and Nespresso pods were restocked daily. Breakfast was good, not great, and service was lackadaisical the first morning, but stellar the next. Made to order egg dishes, ready prepared scrambled eggs, cold cuts, cheeses, breads, pastries, oatmeal, muesli, cereal, yogourt and fresh fruits were the main components. No smoked salmon and decent coffee from two self serve stations.

Housekeeping staff were proactively friendly and very efficient. The room was always serviced while I had breakfast. The valet/bellman was very helpful and attentive, offering suggestions and bringing the car out front immediately after the request(s). Front Desk staff upon check-in were a bit hesitant, but they were in the midst of their internship with the Marriott brand and were still learning the brand standards. Check-out was much smoother and I had a nice chat with the Front Office Manager.

The hotel is in a quiet location, but with quick and easy access to the city and central train station by bus or car. The Cité Internationale complex is quite large and apart from convention facilities, houses a number of retail outlets, including restaurants, the Crowne Plaza, even a Museum. The aforementioned Parc de la Tête d'Or is a huge outdoor space boasting both a lake and a botanical park. It's a great place for a stroll, a run or as a shortcut to the more populated areas of the 6th arrondissement. Truth be told, I rather liked the quiet of the area, but if my business would require me to be more central, I might consider the Intercontinental, but at a premium in rate commensurate with its location. I would stay at the Marriott again, despite some of the minor shortcomings. Lyon has so much fine cuisine from which to choose, the absence of an Executive Lounge was really not at all a deterrent to me.
GoldenItalianBoy likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 5:41 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
Great stay in Lyon

Lyon Marriott Hotel Cité Internationale

1 Review | 100% Recommended

70 Quai Charles de Gaulle Lyon, FR 69463

Great stay in Lyon (9 Photos)

This was my second stay at this Marriott. There are not a lot of choices in Lyon when it comes to big hotel chains, besides the obvious Accor ones.

It's located by the Rhone river, in the Cité Internationale complex, right next to the Parc de la Tête d'Or. Some might say it's not convenient but it's easily reachable by car and by public transport. 3 bus lines run by the hotel:

- C1 which will take you straight to the Part-Dieu train station (about 20min)

- C4 which will go towards Jean-Macé area

- C5 which will take you to the presque'île and Hôtel de Ville, which is more like the old town and the shopping and tourist area. (about 15min)

You can get a 24h ticket for EUR 6, 48h for EUR 12.

Check In

Check-in was smooth and easy. I booked 2 rooms, 1 for myself for 3 nights and 1 for my sister and her friend for 2 nights. The rooms were ready when we arrived at 1:30pm on Good Friday. What pleasantly surprised me is that they upgraded both our rooms from Standard rooms to Executive rooms, on the 6th floor, facing the parc. I would not like the rooms that face the inner courtyard... you basically have a view on the opposite room and I'm sure they are darker as well.

Platinum benefits were also extended to both rooms. That was a very nice surprise: free breakfast, late check-out and free mini-bar in the absence of a lounge. The mini-bar was said to be replenished every other day only but it was a hit and miss. Mine was replenished on day 2 already and not on day 3.

Room

Big bright rooms. The king size bed is made out of 2 European twin beds. It's super big and they put a comforter on it so you don't feel the separation at all. Very simple decoration, but who cares really. There is a balcony as well, with a chair (why not 2?) and a small table. But it was sunny every day and there is a glass separation that surrounds the entire building. It felt a bit like a green house.

1_IMG-7328.jpg1_IMG-7329.jpg1_IMG-7331.jpg1_IMG-7345.jpg1_IMG-7450.jpg

The ventilation and AC were not working. I had to call the front desk, which said "oh we need to activate it on request". Which they did for the other room but mine never worked... I didn't bother, I just opened the door in the evening. But I sure hope they work well during Summer, otherwise it's quite stuffy.

The mini-bar is stocked with Cokes, Coke Zeros, Orange juice, still and sparkling waters and beers.

Bathroom

The bathroom is big, with shower and bath tub. There are bath amenities for the bath tub, and refillables for the shower. The other room did have the support for the refillable bottles but the bottles were missing. So they had to use the small disposable ones from the bath tub...

1_IMG-7330.jpg1_IMG-7333.jpg1_IMG-7451.jpg1_Lyon1.jpg

Dining

Breakfast was good, not amazing. I would not pay EUR 24 for it. And it can be super crowded very quickly. The staff was doing their best to keep it well though. The queues to the 3 coffee machines were driving me nuts, I hate waiting for coffee :-)

Cold cuts, scarmbled eggs, bacon, pancakes, beans, potatoes and tomatoes. Bred, pastries, fruits and other yogurts were available.

Overall

I would come back again if the price is right (paid EUR 108 per night). And the location is just perfect for me. Away from the crowds and tiny rooms in the center but easy to reach by bus.

Parking is EUR 17 per day.

Great stay in Lyon

Would you like to write a review on the Lyon Marriott Hotel Cité Internationale?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Apr 22, 2022, 4:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Originally Posted by enelym1978
Introduction This was my second stay at this Marriott. There are not a lot of choices in Lyon when it comes to big hotel chains, besides the obvious Accor ones. Location It's located by the Rhone river, in the Cité Internationale complex, right next to the Parc de la Tête d'Or. Some might say it's not convenient but it's easily reachable by car and by public transport. 3 bus lines run by the hotel:- C1 which will take you straight to the Part-Dieu train station (about 20min)- C4 which will go towards Jean-Macé area- C5 which will take you to the presque'île and Hôtel de Ville, which is more like the old town and the shopping and tourist area. (about 15min)You can get a 24h ticket for EUR 6, 48h for EUR 12. Check In Check-in was smooth and easy. I booked 2 rooms, 1 for myself for 3 nights and 1 for my sister and her friend for 2 nights. The rooms were ready when we arrived at 1:30pm on Good Friday. What pleasantly surprised me is that they upgraded both our rooms from Standard rooms to Executive rooms, on the 6th floor, facing the parc. I would not like the rooms that face the inner courtyard... you basically have a view on the opposite room and I'm sure they are darker as well.Platinum benefits were also extended to both rooms. That was a very nice surprise: free breakfast, late check-out and free mini-bar in the absence of a lounge. The mini-bar was said to be replenished every other day only but it was a hit and miss. Mine was replenished on day 2 already and not on day 3. Room Big bright rooms. The king size bed is made out of 2 European twin beds. It's super big and they put a comforter on it so you don't feel the separation at all. Very simple decoration, but who cares really. There is a balcony as well, with a chair (why not 2?) and a small table. But it was sunny every day and there is a glass separation that surrounds the entire building. It felt a bit like a green house.The ventilation and AC were not working. I had to call the front desk, which said "oh we need to activate it on request". Which they did for the other room but mine never worked... I didn't bother, I just opened the door in the evening. But I sure hope they work well during Summer, otherwise it's quite stuffy.The mini-bar is stocked with Cokes, Coke Zeros, Orange juice, still and sparkling waters and beers. Bathroom The bathroom is big, with shower and bath tub. There are bath amenities for the bath tub, and refillables for the shower. The other room did have the support for the refillable bottles but the bottles were missing. So they had to use the small disposable ones from the bath tub... Dining Breakfast was good, not amazing. I would not pay EUR 24 for it. And it can be super crowded very quickly. The staff was doing their best to keep it well though. The queues to the 3 coffee machines were driving me nuts, I hate waiting for coffee :-)Cold cuts, scarmbled eggs, bacon, pancakes, beans, potatoes and tomatoes. Bred, pastries, fruits and other yogurts were available. Overall I would come back again if the price is right (paid EUR 108 per night). And the location is just perfect for me. Away from the crowds and tiny rooms in the center but easy to reach by bus.Parking is EUR 17 per day.
Thank you for this update. I actually just booked this hotel for a future stay. Do you or anyone else with experience know the best and most reliable way to get to the airport from here? We are arriving by train (Part Dieu) so that's a reasonable taxi ride since I'm not a fan of luggage on a bus, but my search for airport transportation didn't yield immediate results.
Old May 17, 2022, 6:14 am

Programs: Delta 3MM/PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I've stayed there a couple of times. From the hotel to the airport, you need to go back into town to the main train station Part Dieu. That can be via taxi or bus. Then there is a train just across from the Part Dieu station that runs out to the airport. Very spacious and very easy. Runs every few minutes. It would be a long expensive taxi ride from the hotel to the airport.
yyzflyer likes this.
Old May 18, 2022, 3:12 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
Weren't they having a direct tram line that takes you from Part-Dieu to Saint-Exupéry airport? I know it costed quite a bit compared to the train. I didn't see it last April, but then again, the outside of the station is in such a mess with all the road works....
Old Sep 20, 2023, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Any more recent updates? Thank you!
Old Sep 23, 2023, 7:30 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Any more recent updates? Thank you!
I stayed here in July for two nights. I liked this hotel. As mentioned upthread, the location is pretty convenient; it's a lot closer to the old quarter than I expected. There were public transportation and road closures for the Bastile Day celebration and fireworks while we were there, so we took Uber and taxis to get around.

Rates were low despite it being a holiday. We were upgraded to a pretty spacious junior suite that was in good condition. The room faced the interior courtyard, but we weren't there during the day and didn't mind. We didn't have time to get breakfast, but it is served in the restaurant on the lower level. The helpful concierge made us a reservation for dinner at a great restaurant (Comptoir Abel) after we asked for recommendations at check-in. He also arranged a taxi for us.

Lyon was a really fun place to visit for two days, and I would return to this hotel if I pass through again.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 9:47 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ewh9
I stayed here in July for two nights. I liked this hotel. As mentioned upthread, the location is pretty convenient; it's a lot closer to the old quarter than I expected. There were public transportation and road closures for the Bastile Day celebration and fireworks while we were there, so we took Uber and taxis to get around.

Rates were low despite it being a holiday. We were upgraded to a pretty spacious junior suite that was in good condition. The room faced the interior courtyard, but we weren't there during the day and didn't mind. We didn't have time to get breakfast, but it is served in the restaurant on the lower level. The helpful concierge made us a reservation for dinner at a great restaurant (Comptoir Abel) after we asked for recommendations at check-in. He also arranged a taxi for us.

Lyon was a really fun place to visit for two days, and I would return to this hotel if I pass through again.
Thank you for the update.
I know I'd love the location due to easy access to buses near hotel.
On my own research for restaurants, Comptor Abel is on my list. I actually started a thread asking for brasserie & bistro recommendations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.