Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Lake Como Hotel, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Lake Como Hotel, Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2015, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is an average Sheraton hotel, nothing special, nothing memorable.

Nice countryside setting but no lake view. Top floor rooms can see a sliver of Lake Como but they, correctly, don't advertise it as such. Don't expect lake view and you won't be disappointed.

You are better off with a car as property is some distance from Como town. It is a short walk to boat dock if you take ferry to Como. But a car give you much more freedom as ferry schedule is limited late in the day. Hotel does upgrade Platinum to suites, yet they only have four suites. Don't be disappointed if none is available. Only one restaurant with limited menu in hotel. There is one across the street and another near boat dock, other than that you need to go into town. Overall, nothing special but I am glad to see a Starwood option at Lake Como area.

Last edited by TerryK; May 29, 2015 at 4:31 pm
Old Jun 2, 2015, 9:50 pm

Any luck with cash and points? I haven't seen any availability for ages.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 12:38 am
Used to be 'jwienner'

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Stayed here a few weeks ago. I actually stayed here when it was the Grand Hotel di como (or whatever it was before it was a Sheraton) and it was WAY better than before. The rooms are really nice. Elevator looks a little worn out. Didn't try breakfast. Plenty of parking on the streets around the hotel, don't pay the 15 euros for the garage. As a plat I was given whatever the largest room that wasn't a suite with a balcony was.. On floor 5, the club floor. Had a sliver view of the lake from the balcony. Will be back again!
Old Oct 25, 2015, 4:26 pm

Stayed here yesterday night. 3 adults in the same room, (platinum member).
- The room (deluxe) was small for 3. No suites available (the FD told us that all 4 suites were booked), so no upgrade.
- Breakfast pretty good, we had free full buffet breakfast for 3.
- good club lounge with a variety of dishes and beverages (also wine for free). Access for the 3 of us
- Garage parking was also free for us (normally 15 eur /night)
-we were invited by FD to 3 proseccos
-they left in the room a gift (typical biscuits) with a letter from the director

Some coordination problems between FD (very helpful) and restaurant / service (less helpful). For example they forgot 1 towel (just 2 towels for 3 adults) or in the breakfast they didn't know that the FD included the buffet.

The property is not so impressive but it's ok. Overall good!!
Old Dec 2, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
OTA sites are showing availability around Christmas time.
SPG shows this sold out beginning 06 December.
Is that not strange?
Old Dec 2, 2015, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gottaluvNW
OTA sites are showing availability around Christmas time.
SPG shows this sold out beginning 06 December.
Is that not strange?
Not strange. OTA may have access to preblocked rooms. Perfect situation for BRG.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 9:11 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Originally Posted by TerryK
Not strange. OTA may have access to preblocked rooms. Perfect situation for BRG.
Edited to update:

SPG will not consider this case as a BRG because they first require you to have a confirmed reservation through one of the official Starwood sales channels before they allow a claim. Hence, such a scenario where an OTA has booked a set of rooms allowing them to offer availability does not constitute a valid BRG scenario.

Last edited by gottaluvNW; Dec 6, 2015 at 12:27 am
Old Aug 5, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
we had a very enjoyable 2 night stay recently (one night C&P, the other FNA from the design hotels promo). we got to Como via LUG airport and train. From the train station it's an easy 10 min walk to the pier where boats leave every half hour for Tavernola for just EUR 1,30. The boat ride is short, but there can be lines at the ticket windows. Side note: we had a great lunch at Market Place in Como.
The hotel is 3 min walk from Tavernola pier and about 10min from the pleasant little town of Cernobbio. We were given a Club room with pool view - standard hotel room in good shape, balcony is too small to sit on. Staff overall was very friendly, although there could be lines for the front desk/concierge at times.
Club Lounge is nice and well catered throughout the day. appetizers in the evening were of high quality, we were a little disappointed with the coffee, but they would bring us 'proper' coffee when asking.
the pool area is very pleasant, and the adjacent restaurant quite nice as well. pool service is efficient and prices are surprisingly reasonable.
we very much enjoyed our stay here and plan to come back.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I'm staying here now. Upgraded on a points stay to a deluxe terrace. While it's not a suite, I quite enjoyed sitting out on the "terrace" which is actually a garden with two long chairs. If I stand up, it's a rather ugly view of the back side of a warehouse with dumpsters. But sitting down in the chair I can only see the hills and the sky and enjoy the beer I grabbed in from the Club.

Club food is ok enough. Not great but not bad. Of course I have my car here and would not consider staying here without a car. There is free parking on the street behind the hotel.

We drove across the border to the Fox Town outlet as some shopping had to be done. Pro Tip: Program Waze to avoid toll roads and thus take surface streets and avoid the huge queues at the border on the autoroute. It looked like a 90 minute queue to cross from Switzerland to Italy on the autoroute and not so great the other way. But it's the end of summer and should be expected.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Just completed two nights. Initial impressions were not great - the lobby is uninspiring and there's a "Viking Cruises" desk right in the middle of it. Nor were front desk staff initially forthcoming with available upgrade, though eventually I did get a suite (described here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29614838-post123.html).

Once you break out of the lobby, the hotel is quite nice. Everything is new. Suite was very comfortable and exceptionally quiet. I really enjoyed the terrace:

Location is not bad - 15 euro taxi from Como San Giovanni station and a very short walk to the Tavernola ferry stop. Front desk has ferry schedules - highly recommend getting one and figuring out the system. It's a blast exploring the lake by ferry. There's also a supermarket (GranMercato) next door with all kinds of great Italian food and a convenient espresso and wine bar. Not much else in the immediate area. Cernobbio (restaurants and a nice lido) is about a 15 minute walk away along a busy street.

Breakfast quality was good, but the breakfast area is loud and chaotic. Next time I would just go for the lounge, which has a smaller spread (no omelet bar) but is much quieter. One disappointment was the coffee - they had a carafe labelled "Cafe Americano" sitting out but it turned out to be instant. And the machine in the lounge is, likewise, "Nescafe." Servers can bring you a real coffee, but they can be tough to flag down.

Overall I was quite pleasantly surprised by the hotel's quality. A very good value for under 200 euro per night.

Last edited by Kacee; Apr 9, 2018 at 2:57 am
Old Jun 9, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Originally Posted by santydrak
Stayed here yesterday night. 3 adults in the same room, (platinum member).
- The room (deluxe) was small for 3. No suites available (the FD told us that all 4 suites were booked), so no upgrade.
- Breakfast pretty good, we had free full buffet breakfast for 3.
- good club lounge with a variety of dishes and beverages (also wine for free). Access for the 3 of us
- Garage parking was also free for us (normally 15 eur /night)
-we were invited by FD to 3 proseccos
-they left in the room a gift (typical biscuits) with a letter from the director

Some coordination problems between FD (very helpful) and restaurant / service (less helpful). For example they forgot 1 towel (just 2 towels for 3 adults) or in the breakfast they didn't know that the FD included the buffet.

The property is not so impressive but it's ok. Overall good!!
Same experience right now.

As a Platinum, I haven't been offered an upgrade to suite or Club room, just a "better pool view" that I cannot consider an upgrade.

​Given breakfast as Plat gift (I think only in the club lounge) and lounge access.

NO free parking offered, NO in-room gift, NO drink voucher.
​​​​​
As 3 people in room, a suite upgrade or a larger room upgrade would have been appreciated.

The location and setting is nice, in a green area.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: EX˛-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Originally Posted by GoldenItalianBoy
Same experience right now.

As a Platinum, I haven't been offered an upgrade to suite or Club room, just a "better pool view" that I cannot consider an upgrade.

​Given breakfast as Plat gift (I think only in the club lounge) and lounge access.

NO free parking offered, NO in-room gift, NO drink voucher.
​​​​​
As 3 people in room, a suite upgrade or a larger room upgrade would have been appreciated.

The location and setting is nice, in a green area.
There are only 4 ( four ) suites there. How do you think you can get an upgrade if they are sold...
There are also only a few rooms with a huge balcony. All other rooms have the same dimensions. There are no larger rooms...
FlightNurse likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Forstbetrieb
There are only 4 ( four ) suites there. How do you think you can get an upgrade if they are sold...
They are quite resistant to upgrading even when they have suites available. It took me a good ten minutes of polite arguing to get one. "We only have four suites" is their stock response regardless whether those suites are actually booked. That's been reported over and over in this thread and it was my experience as well.

I would generally concur with the OP that Plat treatment here is not great. But it's still a nice property and the value can really be excellent.

Is that an assumption or a fact? As Plat, I was able to choose between restaurant or lounge. I preferred the lounge. Restaurant was loud, crowded, and chaotic, even at 7 am.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Originally Posted by Kacee
Is that an assumption or a fact? As Plat, I was able to choose between restaurant or lounge. I preferred the lounge. Restaurant was loud, crowded, and chaotic, even at 7 am.
Sorry, I have just finished my happy hour in the Lounge
I asked and confirmed I can choose between lounge or restaurant breakfast (instead of the 500 points), we'll decide tomorrow morning.
The property is very nice and very well maintained, a lot of people in the swimming pool, and lake Como is beautiful. There are 3 restaurants open to choose from for dinner, and I think to be the only "local" guest here, since I haven't heard anybody speaking "Italiano"
I didn't know that they have just 4 suites.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

....I didn't know that they have just 4 suites.
See post #31 on this same page.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.