Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Pending Charge of Ritz of $7200.. normal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2014, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier/LT Plat; SPG Plat/LT Gold; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat

Staying at a Ritz for 10 nights on points. Room rate is $1200 a night if it wasnt on points.

I have a pending charge of $7200 from them. Is that the normal charge for incidentals? At checkin my CC was having trouble going through.. No wonder!
Old Dec 23, 2014, 6:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Wow! I would ask about that. That does seem excessive to me.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would definitely ask the front desk about it. Seems excessive to me.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
$700 per night is high, but perhaps not excessive.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
For incidentals? Yes it is, IMHO. What reasonably expected incidental charges add up to $700/day?
Old Dec 24, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Best Western Diamond
And to think, I got upset at the last autograph collection hotel that cleared me for 2x my rate at checkin. :P

7200 and I'd be screaming.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 12:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Why not call the property directly and ask how they got to $7,200. No reason to argue here about what's appropriate. Could have been $720 and a clerk hit an extra zero.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Why not call the property directly and ask how they got to $7,200. No reason to argue here about what's appropriate. Could have been $720 and a clerk hit an extra zero.

Most likely IMO. You can also have the hotel call your card company and tell them to release the existing hold.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier/LT Plat; SPG Plat/LT Gold; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
It was an error. Should of been 2k not $7200. Front desk said they would call JPM. Did no good as 3 days later still see the hold.. Needed to buy windows for an investment property I own and couldnt due to hold.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 6:45 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by welookgood.com
Needed to buy windows for an investment property I own and couldnt due to hold.
If an unplanned "extra" temp $5k hold causes a problem, a second issue may be at play, IMHO.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by welookgood.com
It was an error. Should of been 2k not $7200. Front desk said they would call JPM. Did no good as 3 days later still see the hold.. Needed to buy windows for an investment property I own and couldnt due to hold.
If it was just a hold, then putting the hold number into their system would have reversed the charge instantly. Sounds more like a full charge where they are holding your money against your will.

This is one of those rare times where I would encourage a long talk with the GM about significant compensation. They wrongly, and illegally IMO, albeit an innocent illegal mistake, put you in a difficult financial position and should compensate you with free nights or a lot of points.

Compensation for a made seeing you in your underwear = nothing. Compensation for this = I would shoot for the stars.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 7:24 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by JamesEaston
If it was just a hold, then putting the hold number into their system would have reversed the charge instantly.
This, of course, assumes that the "front desk" competently followed through.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 9:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by dayone
If an unplanned "extra" temp $5k hold causes a problem, a second issue may be at play, IMHO.
Not everyone has massive amounts of credit at their disposal, so yes an extra $5K can make a difference on many things - whether it be buying windows, staying at another property, buying an airline ticket. I don't understand why an excessive hold is the victim's fault

I would certainly talk to someone in management about it, especially since the front desk said they were going to release the hold & didn't do so.

Cheers.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
This has happened to me three of four times in the last two years. Not as much money involved. Not impacting anything but my stress level and the hassle of determining the holds were all just holds and not us being charged for another person's room.

My experience was if different processors and banks are involved it was not an immediate fix, even if when finally posted the transaction date indicated the hotel had reversed the same day promised.

I'm a bit surprised it didn't drop on it's own after three+ days. If it is seriously impacting a situation I would also be surprised your bank would not give you a temporary credit bump.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 11:03 am

Programs: LTP, PP
I once had an auto mechanic key in $22,000 (accidentally) for a $2,200 repair on my Chase Marriott card days before a 2 week vacation which pretty much wiped out the remaining credit. I was more concerned about not being able to use the card for the points. Called Chase and they really could not have cared less about the timing, it had to run through their normal processes and no one is concerned with the speed when it comes to returning money...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.