Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Autograph Collection, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Property is a resort, so Autograph Collection resort benefits apply.

Confirmed list of benefits for Marriott Platinum Elite (and higher) members:

— Welcome Gift of 1000 Marriott Bonvoy points (per stay) OR continental breakfast at Manta Restaurant for member +1 (per day). See post 595 for a recent report of the elite breakfast benefit.
— Eligible for an upgrade and late check-out, if available.
— High-speed internet

Confirmed list of benefits for ALL Marriott Rewards Members:

— Free wifi (3 devices max, also extends out to the beach area)
— 10% discount on breakfast buffet at Manta Restaurant (3/29/21 unsure what is offered as there is no buffet)
— 10% discount for MKBH's twice-weekly Luau dinner and show
— 2 comp rental club sets with 2 paid rounds for golf
— 2 comp tennis racquet rentals

Maximum # in room is THREE (which is strange for a family property), but multiple calls to property have confirmed this/they're holding to it.
02-02-2024 Website now says 3rd and now 4th adult in room is $95 extra per person
Parking:

— Electric car charging stations: 4, For a fee
— On-site parking, fee: 30 USD daily
— Valet parking, fee: 30 USD daily

Room pictures: https://maunakeabeachhotel.com/accommodations/

Area restaurants: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawa...ts-thread.html

Print Wikipost

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Autograph Collection, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Finkface
Sure, as long as the room occupancy allows four in that particular room. It isn’t about staying free, it could be about legality or policy.
Sure, but we all know that many hotels are just trying to get extra money off guests. See here:

When asked on a recent FlyerTalk discussion whether there is a policy across Marriott brands that all children under-12 stay free, Marriott’s rep, William Sanders replied “There isn’t just one, as far as I can tell. It is a business decision that each hotel or resort controls, so they are the best source of information.”
https://thepointsguy.com/news/marrio...ward-bookings/
So, from a corporate standpoint, IHG's policy for Holiday Inn is better than Marriott International's policy or lack thereof.

As a brand, Holiday Inn isn't my thing but it is much more consistent than Sheraton or even Marriott's flagship Marriott brand; particularly since IHG de-flagged all the old Holiday Inn properties that refused to renovate back in 2010-ish. As for Delta, I don't see any difference between this weird Marriott brand and Holiday Inn.

I know what I'm going to get at a Holiday Inn. I can't say the same for the Sheraton or Marriott brands.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by beagleflyer1977
I booked for 2 adults - never specify kids on a reservation, figure two beds is enough - our kids are under 10.
They are strict on the three-person rule & it applies to children as well. You definitely want to clear this with the property ahead of time, a one night stay could fly under the radar, but not a longer stay. You're likely either going to need to get another room or switch to another resort.

Last edited by escapefromphl; Mar 13, 2019 at 11:46 am
Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
They are strict on the three-person rule & it applies to children as well. You definitely want to clear this with the property ahead of time, a one night stay could fly under the radar, but not a longer stay. You're likely either going to need to get another room or switch to another resort.
Just reading that this resort allows only 3 per room? What to do - I have a reservation and with two kids!
I reached out to the legacy desk on this recently, and received the following response, "A family of four is able to stay in one room using existing bedding (one King or 2beds) providing the children are under the age of 12years"
beagleflyer1977 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by ecophoto
I reached out to the legacy desk on this recently, and received the following response, "A family of four is able to stay in one room using existing bedding (one King or 2beds) providing the children are under the age of 12years"
I would still contact the hotel directly to get confirmation. Look at the wiki at the top of this page. “Maximum # in room is THREE (which is strange for a family property), but multiple calls to property have confirmed this/they're holding to it.” And this post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29764767-post282.html where the property claims it is a fire regulation. Saying that someone at Marriott told you it was ok isn’t going to help if you only booked for 2 adults and the hotel adheres to the policy.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by ecophoto
You were given incorrect information, the hotel is still enforcing 3 per room limit, try searching on any platform for a standard room with 2 adults and 2 children over 2 years old and it won't accept your booking while other Marriott properties (Westin Hapuna) will. The MKBH website will sell you a 1 bedroom suite for $2300 for 4 people. The Four Seasons has the same policy as the Mauna Kea, 3 per room.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
You were given incorrect information, the hotel is still enforcing 3 per room limit, try searching on any platform for a standard room with 2 adults and 2 children over 2 years old and it won't accept your booking while other Marriott properties (Westin Hapuna) will. The MKBH website will sell you a 1 bedroom suite for $2300 for 4 people.
Yet another reason to avoid this property.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:58 pm

You were given incorrect information, the hotel is still enforcing 3 per room limit, try searching on any platform for a standard room with 2 adults and 2 children over 2 years old and it won't accept your booking while other Marriott properties (Westin Hapuna) will. The MKBH website will sell you a 1 bedroom suite for $2300 for 4 people. The Four Seasons has the same policy as the Mauna Kea, 3 per room.
I also called the property and was given the same info - four people per room is ok from front desk.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
I also called the property and was given the same info - four people per room is ok from front desk.
interesting... I'd get it in writing. If you can, then maybe they've made a change. If it was me though I'd definitely want it in writing. I will say, it would be pretty uncomfortable with 4 in their double double rooms if you ask me but to each his own.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:27 pm

I am replying to CMK10's excellent and comprehensive trip report (Post #321 ). I just completed a 7 night award stay. My wife and I spent part of our honeymoon at Mauna Kea 30 years ago. Not sure if it was recognition of our anniversary, or my Titanium status, or the fact that they were not sold out during our stay, but we were upgraded from the Golf View room that the award books into, into a top floor Oceanfront Room. The view was absolutely stunning. I highly recommend this hotel - even without an upgrade.

My brother - also Titanium - was at Mauna Kea on an award stay a few weeks prior. The hotel showed as sold out, but they upgraded him to the Beachfront wing somehow at checkin. Interestingly, he complained to me about his room - saying the bathroom looked like it could be the original from 50 years ago. My room was the same as CMK10's (see his great pictures) and the bathroom was clearly newly renovated. I asked about this at the front desk, and was told that while all the rooms in the "tower" had been renovated (that would be every category except beachfront), some of the rooms in the beachfront wing had intentionally not been touched and were their "classic" rooms - which some repeat guests insist on having. That sounded ridiculous to me (who wants an old crappy bathroom), but I never cease to be amazed. Bottom line - before accepting an upgrade to a beachfront room, you might want to inquire about whether it is a "classic" room, or take a look at the room yourself. You might be happier staying in the golf view room!

When the hotel renovated a decade or so ago, they also reduced the room count. They took some rooms, split them in half and added each half to an existing standard room. That added half became a large bathroom with balcony, open shower, and standalone tub, while the original room was expanded (since it no longer needed a bathroom). These rooms are in the Golf View, Oceanview and Oceanfront categories and are called "deluxe." Not sure if you can ever be upgraded to them (they were all sold out during my stay), but it is an upgrade that could be worth paying for since you get 150% of the space of a regular room.

I otherwise concur in CMK10's review. We found the staff - like the people in much of Hawaii - to be genuinely friendly and helpful and the service to be consistently excellent. I had no incidents that required escalation (and my brother who ALWAYS seems to have an issue) also had no issues. The beach is spectacular. There is a path that leaves from the beach and follows the shore to the Westin. Wear sneakers - it is rocky and treacherous in spots and you need to be in good shape - but when you eventually get to the bar at the Westin pool it is well worth it! My wife said no way she was walking back - I managed to get the bellman to drive us back in a golf cart (with a generous tip) and learned that there is a much shorter and easier route through the golf course. I ran it the next day, and it was just about 3/4 mile each way from the Mauna Kea beach to the Westin front door. However you don't have the stunning views along the shore. There is also a path that leaves from the north side of the Mauna Kea property which we also did. It had some even more treacherous spots, and the beach we eventually got to was not as nice as at Mauna Kea, and there was no bar! The concierge has a little map of both trails available I later learned.

For meals, we ate off property every night based on the reviews we saw of the hotel's restaurants (all of which sort of say "good" or "ok" and "overpriced.") Our favorite was the Seafood Bar and Grill - a local place (no reservations) that is just 8 minutes north of the hotel. I found it online, but the concierge confirmed it was a good choice. It was very reasonably priced and had great food. We ended up sitting at the long bar and spent the night talking to Dave, the owner. It was so good (and just about $100 with appetizers, entrees and drinks for 2) that we went back a second time. The mai tai is great too! If you go, drive around to the back to park - that avoids stairs and puts you right at their entrance.

I can't speak to the issues folks are having with the 3 or 4 people in the room, but if you are a couple this is a great hotel!

Edit - actually on the 3 or 4 people in a room issue, if you go to the hotel website www.maunakeabeachhotel.com you will be offered a second room for 50% off on a paid booking. That may be a better solution that squeezing four people into one room if its available during your dates. Of course this won't work on an award stay.

Last edited by BeantownFlyer; Mar 24, 2019 at 1:36 pm
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer
For meals, we ate off property every\ night based on the reviews we saw of the hotel's restaurants (all of which sort of say "good" or "ok" and "overpriced.") Our favorite was the Seafood Bar and Grill - a local place (no reservations) that is just 8 minutes north of the hotel. I found it online, but the concierge confirmed it was a good choice. It was very reasonably priced and had great food. We ended up sitting at the long bar and spent the night talking to Dave, the owner. It was so good (and just about $100 with appetizers, entrees and drinks for 2) that we went back a second time. The mai tai is great too! If you go, drive around to the back to park - that avoids stairs and puts you right at their entrance.
Besides the construction at the Westin Hapuna Beach, which despite being a separate property operates as a kind of annex of the Mauna Keach, Autograph Collection, my biggest complaint was the food-and-beverage. I ate and drank at both properties. The variety just isn't there and the prices are high for what you get, even by island pricing. I ate at the formal, sit-dow restaurants at both properties. The Mauna Kea was the worst of the two, if only because the service wasn't correct. I expect a property of this repute to know how to serve wine, where to place silverware, etc. The Westin's fancier restaurant got everything right, but the kitchen was beyond slow despite my party having a pre-set menu.

I would rather go to Roy's off-property, but then I have to worry about the whole drinking and driving thing.
dgreen12 likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 9:53 pm

Is the platinum elite breakfast for kids too? Traveling with spouse and two kids.
We weren’t platinum when we stayed at the hotel last Spring break. We paid to dine at the buffet breakfast and was told kids 4 or 5 and UNDER eats free there for breakfast. Our kids were 1.5 and 3.5 at the time so it was free for them.

Did you manage to squeeze two kids under 10 plus two adults into an award redemption room in the end?
Old May 5, 2019, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by musicscrip

We weren’t platinum when we stayed at the hotel last Spring break. We paid to dine at the buffet breakfast and was told kids 4 or 5 and UNDER eats free there for breakfast. Our kids were 1.5 and 3.5 at the time so it was free for them.

Did you manage to squeeze two kids under 10 plus two adults into an award redemption room in the end?
I just got back a week ago from an award stay and can confirm there was no issue with two kids and two adults staying in one room on an award stay booked with 2 adults listed. As long as you don't need extra bedding, and the kids are under 12, there is no fee. (Roll away costs $80 per night if you can't make the two doubles work).
I can also confirm that young kids (two kids under age 4 in my case) were not charged for the buffet. With the two free elite breakfasts covering the two adults, we were charged nothing for breakfast every day, except for our added gratuity.
We received an upgrade to an ocean view as platinum elite which was quite nice. I had booked a second room on points for some other family traveling with us and that room was also upgraded to an ocean view based on my status, which was an unexpected gift. As has previously been mentioned, the free elite breakfast does not extend to a second room.
I also learned an interesting fact: the property does not have any adjoining rooms with two doubles in both rooms. All of their adjoining rooms apparently are either king-king or king-2 doubles.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:25 am

Spent five nights here last week, and will be my last time for a while. I was happy to be upgraded to oceanfront as a Titanium member, but the room seems to have been worn down quite a bit from my last stay 1.5 years ago. Could definitely be cleaner, if not renovated very soon. The outdoor corridors were loaded with cockroaches, etc. I get that it's Hawaii and there are creatures everywhere, but I've never seen it anywhere like this and have stayed all over the islands. The resort still has an amazing vibe overall, but there were too many misses to make it worth staying here, imho. Breakfast buffet was above avg for plats, and also had a very good meal at Manta. Had dinner one night at Copper Bar that was definitely subpar, but north of $200. The beach is amazing, but was closed one day for a shark sighting, and another day was full of Man o War, which ended the day abruptly with a sting to both my GF and I. Played the golf course one day and it was an amazing course and worth every dollar.

Spent some time at the Hapuna/Westin and found it to be a much more enjoyable resort. Meridia was one of the best meals of the trip, and the adults only pool is something that MK could desperately use. The renovated grounds were very well done.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:28 am

Looking to go to KOA next month and staying here with my wife and 10 yr old, as a PLAT member, how much would they charge my 10 yr old?? do they have pull out sofas??
this is probably the best Marriott property in KOA? better than the Waikoloa beach Marriott?
Old Jun 23, 2019, 3:14 pm
gsb

I can’t answer the first question, but did stay at Waikoloa last month and visited both Mauna Kea and Westin Hapuna Beach. The rooms at Waikoloa were well done (at least on the MVC side), but the grounds, for me, were a bit of a miss. Nothing special about the pools or beach, and the grounds were not terribly pretty. The hotel is in a handy location in terms of shopping and dining, with lots of options within walking distance.

We thought Mauna Kea was very nicely done, but I think I would pick Westin. Both of the beaches were very nice, but we thought the pools at Westin were a bit better. I believe that, because of the construction going on at Westin, you can get a bit more in terms of value right now. I would be happy to stay at either one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.