Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Autograph Collection, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Property is a resort, so Autograph Collection resort benefits apply.

Confirmed list of benefits for Marriott Platinum Elite (and higher) members:

— Welcome Gift of 1000 Marriott Bonvoy points (per stay) OR continental breakfast at Manta Restaurant for member +1 (per day). See post 595 for a recent report of the elite breakfast benefit.
— Eligible for an upgrade and late check-out, if available.
— High-speed internet

Confirmed list of benefits for ALL Marriott Rewards Members:

— Free wifi (3 devices max, also extends out to the beach area)
— 10% discount on breakfast buffet at Manta Restaurant (3/29/21 unsure what is offered as there is no buffet)
— 10% discount for MKBH's twice-weekly Luau dinner and show
— 2 comp rental club sets with 2 paid rounds for golf
— 2 comp tennis racquet rentals

Maximum # in room is THREE (which is strange for a family property), but multiple calls to property have confirmed this/they're holding to it.
02-02-2024 Website now says 3rd and now 4th adult in room is $95 extra per person
Parking:

— Electric car charging stations: 4, For a fee
— On-site parking, fee: 30 USD daily
— Valet parking, fee: 30 USD daily

Room pictures: https://maunakeabeachhotel.com/accommodations/

Area restaurants: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawa...ts-thread.html

Print Wikipost

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Autograph Collection, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by patmcpsu
I concur. Our room was on a lower floor facing the parking lot, and our view was mostly of palm trees that are between the hotel and parking lot. It wasn't a bad view at all, but my in-laws had an oceanview room and WOW, it was probably the most beautiful view I've ever seen from a hotel room.

If facing the "wrong" side of the hotel, I would recommend a lower room. Not only because I would rather look at the palm trees than over them, but because it's the sort of hotel where the stairs are preferable to the elevator if it is practical.
I've had the 8th/top floor all the way on the north side facing the golf course/parking lot and you get a sea view off to to your left and a good mountain view, I preferred that to being above the circle. But I think you only get that view from maybe 3 or 4 rooms on the top floor on the left.
bizum likes this.

Last edited by escapefromphl; Dec 6, 2018 at 1:49 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 6, 2018, 5:22 pm

Great room tips! I was patting myself on the back for grabbing a Golf View on points-only but now I'm wishing I should've booked the Ocean view (but that was points + 150/night). I'll keep checking for availability
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Unobtainium, Delta Diamond
I have a 7-night reservation in May at this hotel. I booked it with Marriott points.

What is your experience here using the Suite Night Awards? Has anyone tried SNAs at this Prince / Marriott property?

I've got 10 SNAs to use and I might as well use them here.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Pocatello
I have a 7-night reservation in May at this hotel. I booked it with Marriott points.

What is your experience here using the Suite Night Awards? Has anyone tried SNAs at this Prince / Marriott property?

It wasn't an option on any of my previous stays (pre 08/18)... What options does it give for the upgrade? We've been upgraded to beach front and received no upgrade (Golf View) all as a Plat Premier (regular plat before August). If it is to a suite, I suspect the chance is between 0 and 0.0001... Ocean front would be nice and I would burn my SNA's for that as they are utterly worthless most everywhere else.

Last edited by davidsc111; Feb 11, 2019 at 7:06 am
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver

Originally Posted by davidsc111
It wasn't an option on any of my previous stays... What options does it give for the upgrade? We've been upgraded to beach front and received no upgrade (Golf View) all as a Plat Premier (regular plat before August). If it is to a suite, I suspect the chance is between 0 and 0.0001... Ocean front would be nice and I would burn my SNA's for that as they are utterly worthless most everywhere else.
You might want to try the Mauna Kea's little sister, the Westin Hapuna. One, it's less points. Two, all of the rooms are ocean-facing. At the Mauna Kea, there are rooms that face the parking lot.
davidsc111 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:52 am

Just got back from MK. As a low-level plat on a points-only reservation, we were "upgraded" from the basic Golf View to the deluxe GV. When I asked about availability of ocean view rooms (I saw availability online), they told me they didn't have one for the duration of our stay but could put us on the list when something came available. Didn't press on it anymore, I guess the adage of "you get what you reserved" is true for Hawaii . Its a beautiful, picturesque property and beach. Never felt crowded.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
You might want to try the Mauna Kea's little sister, the Westin Hapuna. One, it's less points. Two, all of the rooms are ocean-facing. At the Mauna Kea, there are rooms that face the parking lot.
We stayed at the Westin Hapuna Beach right before Christmas when both hotels were full. I was assigned a room as far from construction as possible and still had a decent ocean view. We also liked the Hapnua Beach for snorkeling, whereas I didn't see many people snorkeling at Mauna Kea. I would go back to the Westin.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:26 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
I suspect SNA’s won’t work here, There just aren’t that many suites and there is a clientele who actually pay for them. I’ve received an upgrade to the beachfront before, I would say that would be worth burning an SNA for if it was an option. Although the rooms themselves are not as nice as the main wing, the beachfront makes up for it.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:37 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
I suspect SNA’s won’t work here, There just aren’t that many suites and there is a clientele who actually pay for them. I’ve received an upgrade to the beachfront before, I would say that would be worth burning an SNA for if it was an option. Although the rooms themselves are not as nice as the main wing, the beachfront makes up for it.
My SNA cleared and said it was a suite in the app, but then when we arrived it was a Deluxe Oceanfront room in the main wing. They offered a Junior Suite later on in the day when I brought it up but we didn't want to wait around...
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:17 am

Interesting... I wasn't given the option to use SNAs. I tried it yesterday for an upcoming summer reservation. I imagine they are booked full- my only room option was the "golf view" even with SNAs sitting in my account.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Unobtainium, Delta Diamond
This was my first time ever using the Suite Night Awards... and it was a very simple process.

I used 7 nights for my reservation which starts in May of this year. I had 10 nights, and after this process I have 3 nights remaining.

Attached is the SNA screen from Marriott.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:21 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
This was my first time ever using the Suite Night Awards... and it was a very simple process.

I used 7 nights for my reservation which starts in May of this year. I had 10 nights, and after this process I have 3 nights remaining.

Attached is the SNA screen from Marriott.
This doesn’t mean that your SNA has been confirmed though. I would keep an eye out on what type of room they assign you if your SNA does clear at this property as they are very well known to bait and switch people to deluxe rooms.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget

This doesn’t mean that your SNA has been confirmed though. I would keep an eye out on what type of room they assign you if your SNA does clear at this property as they are very well known to bait and switch people to deluxe rooms.
As far as I know, the property has no involvement in the clearing of suite night award certificates. I would be working the titanium or ambassador desks for clearing of the upgrade, not the property.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
As far as I know, the property has no involvement in the clearing of suite night award certificates. I would be working the titanium or ambassador desks for clearing of the upgrade, not the property.
There have been numerous posts of guests arriving to the property to find themselves in a Deluxe room and not a Suite as "promised" when their SNA clears.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
There have been numerous posts of guests arriving to the property to find themselves in a Deluxe room and not a Suite as "promised" when their SNA clears.
Yes, but the property's classification of rooms may not align with what Marriott has classified the rooms as in its booking system. Whether or not this involves games by the property is beyond my knowledge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.