Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Autograph Collection, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Property is a resort, so Autograph Collection resort benefits apply.

Confirmed list of benefits for Marriott Platinum Elite (and higher) members:

— Welcome Gift of 1000 Marriott Bonvoy points (per stay) OR continental breakfast at Manta Restaurant for member +1 (per day). See post 595 for a recent report of the elite breakfast benefit.
— Eligible for an upgrade and late check-out, if available.
— High-speed internet

Confirmed list of benefits for ALL Marriott Rewards Members:

— Free wifi (3 devices max, also extends out to the beach area)
— 10% discount on breakfast buffet at Manta Restaurant (3/29/21 unsure what is offered as there is no buffet)
— 10% discount for MKBH's twice-weekly Luau dinner and show
— 2 comp rental club sets with 2 paid rounds for golf
— 2 comp tennis racquet rentals

Maximum # in room is THREE (which is strange for a family property), but multiple calls to property have confirmed this/they're holding to it.
02-02-2024 Website now says 3rd and now 4th adult in room is $95 extra per person
Parking:

— Electric car charging stations: 4, For a fee
— On-site parking, fee: 30 USD daily
— Valet parking, fee: 30 USD daily

Room pictures: https://maunakeabeachhotel.com/accommodations/

Area restaurants: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawa...ts-thread.html

Print Wikipost

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Autograph Collection, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2018, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
1) We didn't ask specifically about borrowing sand toys, but there were certainly none obviously available or a benefit like that listed in any documentation.

2) I'm not aware of any rental car agencies convenient to the hotel. Hiring a driver for a day is always an option, and certainly convenient, but never a low-cost option. Good luck!
Old May 15, 2018, 3:40 pm

There are a couple Enterprise car locations nearby-- they may be able to deliver the car. It's been ages since I rented Enterprise, so I'm not sure if they still claim "we'll pick you up."
Old May 15, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by beofotch
Thanks for the insight. I will stay tuned closely to see how it goes post August 1 on the benefits.

Two more questions -
1 does the Does the Mauna Kea rent out or loan out kids sand toys? Or do you have to bring your own?
2 if the only excursion we want to do on a 5 night stay is volcanoes national park (assuming its safe given the latest developments) is the best bet to rent a car for the week or is there a way to just rent it for 1 day from the hotel (or hire a driver just for a day?) Just trying to understand the tradeoff versus 5 days rental car and hotel parking versus a 1 day trip with convenience.
In Feb there was a Hertz office on site...at least, there were a bunch of "Hertz parking spots"... as to sand toys...there were some for sale and there is an ABC store in Waikaloa that will have everything...
Old May 15, 2018, 7:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite (Lifetime Gold), United 1K
We had a good enough time staying here, but I would never spend anywhere close to 100,000 points/night, even with a guaranteed upgrade.
Old May 16, 2018, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by cmatthews11
We had a good enough time staying here, but I would never spend anywhere close to 100,000 points/night, even with a guaranteed upgrade.
agreed, I could stomach 50K max...and then only because my kids love this place. I think 45k (current price) is fair.
Old May 16, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
Originally Posted by davidsc111
agreed, I could stomach 50K max...and then only because my kids love this place. I think 45k (current price) is fair.
Room occupancy policy regarding kids has been strict in the past. Wondering if Marriott Autograph affiliation has changed this? How many rooms did you need for how many adults/kids?
Old May 16, 2018, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by BOSOGG
Room occupancy policy regarding kids has been strict in the past. Wondering if Marriott Autograph affiliation has changed this? How many rooms did you need for how many adults/kids?
Discussion from earlier in this thread suggests it has remained strict (max. 3 per room if I recall), but I don't have any personal experience with it.
Old May 16, 2018, 5:09 pm

We have had to have two rooms but there are a couple of advantages (if you can overlook the cost)... First, in the beachfront wing if you have "connecting" rooms you can use the outer door and then you have a sand toy, beach float, flip flop storage area. It's only about 80 square feet but it honestly makes life much easier as you can keep the beach out of the bedroom. Second, it's no vacation for my wife and I if we can't get some quality alone time.... We generally stay at the GW on Maui for 5 or 6 nights in a double queen and then go someplace else for five... I can handle 4 to a room for 5 nights but after that I am at my limit. Sure there may be some suite options that provide privacy but the kids are sleeping on couch beds and are not nearly as comfortable. Finally, the fact that a family of 4 needs two rooms really keeps the crowds down. I know it's not ideal for many, but every time I've been there (before and after Marriott) I've never had an issue finding chairs and an umbrella on the beach. I look at it this way...for 320k points, or 160k plus $2k I get 5 nights alone (so to speak) with my wife on one of the best beaches in the world and my cell phone barely has reception. All good things.
BOSOGG likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 5:10 pm

We were there just during Spring break in March and we had to book two rooms for 4 adults and 2 toddlers under 4y old. They wouldn't allow 2 adults and 2 toddlers in ONE room.
Old May 16, 2018, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by musicscrip

We were there just during Spring break in March and we had to book two rooms for 4 adults and 2 toddlers under 4y old. They wouldn't allow 2 adults and 2 toddlers in ONE room.
some family friendly place it is..
i can not think of any property in us doing such nonsense..
Old May 17, 2018, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by azepine00
some family friendly place it is..
i can not think of any property in us doing such nonsense..
Perhaps they are trying to target a market other than families with young kids. There are probably many people who's idea of a relaxing beach holiday doesn't include loads of toddlers waddling around the beach. I'm not saying it is right, but I also don't think it is nonsense.
schriste, oopsz and msp3 like this.
Old May 17, 2018, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Perhaps they are trying to target a market other than families with young kids. There are probably many people who's idea of a relaxing beach holiday doesn't include loads of toddlers waddling around the beach. I'm not saying it is right, but I also don't think it is nonsense.
I was told it's due to fire regulation! They would let you have 3 adults in a room but just not 4ppl in a room for the regular reward room due to the size of the room and how old the building is i guess.

We loved our stay and will be going back next year for Christmas.
Old May 17, 2018, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Agreed. This place is not where you go to get the highest monetary value out of your points/$. But if you are looking for a quiet isolated resort with an incredible beach and beach club you will likely not be disappointed. They won't really do anything special because of Marriott status (see my review upthread) but they cover the basics and we love that beach. I personally like the 3 per room policy (Fire Marshal set that occupancy, although they could probably fight it if they wanted) as it keeps the people count low....
reuthermonkey and msp3 like this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:13 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by davidsc111
I personally like the 3 per room policy as it keeps the people count low....
+1 The beach never feels crowded, I suspect mostly due to limited public parking but also because its going to cost you extra to bring more than 1 of your minions.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The place is iconic from the time Laurance Rockefeller built it. Could be a Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.