Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Autograph Collection, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Property is a resort, so Autograph Collection resort benefits apply.

Confirmed list of benefits for Marriott Platinum Elite (and higher) members:

— Welcome Gift of 1000 Marriott Bonvoy points (per stay) OR continental breakfast at Manta Restaurant for member +1 (per day). See post 595 for a recent report of the elite breakfast benefit.
— Eligible for an upgrade and late check-out, if available.
— High-speed internet

Confirmed list of benefits for ALL Marriott Rewards Members:

— Free wifi (3 devices max, also extends out to the beach area)
— 10% discount on breakfast buffet at Manta Restaurant (3/29/21 unsure what is offered as there is no buffet)
— 10% discount for MKBH's twice-weekly Luau dinner and show
— 2 comp rental club sets with 2 paid rounds for golf
— 2 comp tennis racquet rentals

Maximum # in room is THREE (which is strange for a family property), but multiple calls to property have confirmed this/they're holding to it.
02-02-2024 Website now says 3rd and now 4th adult in room is $95 extra per person
Parking:

— Electric car charging stations: 4, For a fee
— On-site parking, fee: 30 USD daily
— Valet parking, fee: 30 USD daily

Room pictures: https://maunakeabeachhotel.com/accommodations/

Area restaurants: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawa...ts-thread.html

Print Wikipost

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Autograph Collection, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2021, 7:50 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by geclub1
Two nights' stay in early Sept. SNA did not clear.
Marriott IT again. It can’t properly handle the situation where there are a slew of cancellations re-opening availability. It’s likely still dishing out SNA’s upgrades based on the sold out scenario a few weeks prior.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Roger Lococco
Is $350 a night for an upgrade to an Oceanfront Deluxe room worth it here?
I'm seeing $350 now for an upgrade to ocean view now pretty much any dates..I guess thats inflation for you.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 11:01 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
I'm seeing $350 now for an upgrade to ocean view now pretty much any dates..I guess thats inflation for you.
Probably I’d pay that. I’m here now and although my five SNAs didn’t apply, was upgraded to an ocean view with balcony from a golf view on points. Depending on status and risk tolerance, you might wait until check in and negotiate if needed.

Last edited by Jailer; Nov 5, 2021 at 11:42 pm
Old Nov 6, 2021, 6:58 pm

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
I'd pay it happily. Those double room with the massive bath with its own balcony are awesome. Among my favorite in the state.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 8:17 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Given the devaluation coming in March 22, I’m looking at 10 nights on the Big Island in Feb. (will be in Maui this month).

Given other stats and time of year, won’t island hop.

Should I stay here all 10 days or split them up into two 5 night stays here and the Westin? Have plenty of SNAs but likely won’t clear it seems. Upgrades likely better on split stays but no way to be sure. As it’s an extra trip, not inclined to go cash plus points for upgraded rooms.

Any 2021 comparisons between the two? Are both similarly reopened?

Old threads sort of implied Mauna Kea better hard and soft product but Hapuna with better beach (according to some) and a better chance at a suite.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 8:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Visited both this summer, Mauna Kea wins in every single category in my opinion, including beach.
Pocatello likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 4:25 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by beachfan
Given the devaluation coming in March 22, I’m looking at 10 nights on the Big Island in Feb. (will be in Maui this month).

Should I stay here all 10 days or split them up into two 5 night stays here and the Westin? Have plenty of SNAs but likely won’t clear it seems. Upgrades likely better on split stays but no way to be sure. As it’s an extra trip, not inclined to go cash plus points for upgraded rooms.

Old threads sort of implied Mauna Kea better hard and soft product but Hapuna with better beach (according to some) and a better chance at a suite.
Originally Posted by louisc
Visited both this summer, Mauna Kea wins in every single category in my opinion, including beach.
Agreed.

In fact, you will pay less at Mauna Kea, since it has no resort fees. The other place has it.

For a Tit like you, breakfast buffet at Manua Kea. While at the other place, you will need to pay $14 up charge to get one hot food dish.
Pocatello likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by geclub1
Agreed.

In fact, you will pay less at Mauna Kea, since it has no resort fees. The other place has it.

For a Tit like you, breakfast buffet at Manua Kea. While at the other place, you will need to pay $14 up charge to get one hot food dish.
The Hapuna does win in a few categories.
- Beach may actually be nicer.
- Pool is better.
- Ocean view. It’s +$350 a night to upgrade to ocean view at the Mauna Kea. OV deluxe doesn’t seem to be offered. Your SNA’s don’t really matter here.

You pretty much have to pay for the upgrade to guarantee it at the Mauna Kea. SNA’s generally wont work at the MK. so if ocean view is important be prepared to spend $350 + 50-60K points per night.

Last edited by escapefromphl; Nov 8, 2021 at 8:08 am
Old Nov 8, 2021, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Stayed at both last month and although the Hapuna is nice, the MK is a step above in all categories. Breakfast and resort fee are two areas where the difference is very evident. Beach at MK is slightly better IMHO and always less crowded than Hapuna due to the way they limit public access.

Can’t go wrong on both, but MK is better.
tattikat2 and Pocatello like this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by beachfan

Why not go for 5 and 5? Yes, better possibility of SNA clearing. Easy move and there ARE some differences. If nothing else, you’ll have some additional dining options. Fwiw, I’d start at Hapuna. The better one will be second. Enjoy.
yule_boy and Pocatello like this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 11:31 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Thanks all!
Old Nov 16, 2021, 10:24 am

Just wanted to thank everyone on this thread for all the great advice and info. I started planning my honeymoon in Feb 2020 for November 2020, moved everything back to 2021 and finally made it to Hawaii yesterday. We're currently in Oahu but flying to Big Island on Saturday for our stay at Mauna Kea, and I'll be happy to answer as many questions as I can during and/or after my stay. Booked 5 nights with points into a golf vista, and of course the SNA is currently pending

matt
slpybear, yule_boy and Pocatello like this.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 1:25 am

Hi all,

I'll be heading to Mauna Kea in February 2022. Right now, I have 15 nights booked on points (costing 840,000 Marriott points). I'm wondering if 15 nights would be considered "too long" at this resort, and if I should split it with another resort? I have Titanium status and I'm hoping I'd receive an upgrade from the golf view, as paying $350 USD extra per night to guarantee a view isn't reasonable in my opinion. I will be applying my 15 SNA's, but I've always found them useless, even at lower end hotels for any upgrade. I'm mainly hoping my Titanium status will get me upgraded.

We plan to do most of the main touristy things on the island, but we mostly love a gorgeous beach and a nice resort to stay on the majority of the time (escaping -40 Celsius in Canada). I was also thinking of doing 7 nights at MK and 7 nights at Marriott Waikoloa or Hilton Waikoloa to split it up if that's considered better. Although, I will likely keep the 15 nights booked based on the reviews I read.

Only downside compared to other resorts, seems to be the distance from other shops and restaurants off the resort, as MK seems fairly isolated, which is seen as a good thing, other than shops and restaurants nearby.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Epnawd

I'm wondering if 15 nights would be considered "too long" at this resort, and if I should split it with another resort?
I stayed here in September, my 5th or 6th stay now. Your observation on SNA’s is correct. They have repeat guests some who have been coming for 3 or 4 generations, mix that in with SF/LA/NYC Dinks/tech wealthy, let’s just say there is a lot of pressure on those ocean view rooms especially in February when there should be whales.I don’t know what your odds for an upgrade are but they may be better if you split up the stay. Consider paying the upgrade fee if that’s what you really want, you may be kicking yourself otherwise. The other Marriott options are not at the same level, IMO.
As noted several times the food situation is not fantastic. Manta is just OK. Copper bar ~ uninspired. It’s manageable for a week, IMO.
The beach of course is as good as any in Hawaii.
bizum likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
I stayed here in September, my 5th or 6th stay now. Your observation on SNA’s is correct. They have repeat guests some who have been coming for 3 or 4 generations, mix that in with SF/LA/NYC Dinks/tech wealthy, let’s just say there is a lot of pressure on those ocean view rooms especially in February when there should be whales.I don’t know what your odds for an upgrade are but they may be better if you split up the stay. Consider paying the upgrade fee if that’s what you really want, you may be kicking yourself otherwise. The other Marriott options are not at the same level, IMO.
As noted several times the food situation is not fantastic. Manta is just OK. Copper bar ~ uninspired. It’s manageable for a week, IMO.
The beach of course is as good as any in Hawaii.
I contacted the hotel and spoke with the manager about upgrading my room to oceanview or beachfront, the manager stated the only way is using points + cash method, and for my dates in February this isn’t offered. Unfortunately, looks like I’m depending on SNAS or Titanium status for my stay.

We would likely be happy with any room, of course beach front or OF is ideal, but not paying $350 USD per night, or $7000 CDN, as we are not wealthy people lol.

I’m considering 10 nights at MK and 5 at Hilton Waikoloa or Marriott Waikola if you feel 15 nights is too long in one spot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.