Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Autograph Collection, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Property is a resort, so Autograph Collection resort benefits apply.

Confirmed list of benefits for Marriott Platinum Elite (and higher) members:

— Welcome Gift of 1000 Marriott Bonvoy points (per stay) OR continental breakfast at Manta Restaurant for member +1 (per day). See post 595 for a recent report of the elite breakfast benefit.
— Eligible for an upgrade and late check-out, if available.
— High-speed internet

Confirmed list of benefits for ALL Marriott Rewards Members:

— Free wifi (3 devices max, also extends out to the beach area)
— 10% discount on breakfast buffet at Manta Restaurant (3/29/21 unsure what is offered as there is no buffet)
— 10% discount for MKBH's twice-weekly Luau dinner and show
— 2 comp rental club sets with 2 paid rounds for golf
— 2 comp tennis racquet rentals

Maximum # in room is THREE (which is strange for a family property), but multiple calls to property have confirmed this/they're holding to it.
02-02-2024 Website now says 3rd and now 4th adult in room is $95 extra per person
Parking:

— Electric car charging stations: 4, For a fee
— On-site parking, fee: 30 USD daily
— Valet parking, fee: 30 USD daily

Room pictures: https://maunakeabeachhotel.com/accommodations/

Area restaurants: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawa...ts-thread.html

Print Wikipost

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Autograph Collection, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old May 28, 2020, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Following up on my earlier post - The Governor announced today the 14 day quarantine will be extended beyond June 30
rny321 likes this.
Old May 28, 2020, 7:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
"Wonder if they will do any work on the pool"?

I hope not.

It's perfect as it is and I said as much in a survey I received 6 months or so ago.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Mr. Vker and escapefromphl like this.
Old May 28, 2020, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tattikat2

I hope not.

It's perfect as it is and I said as much in a survey I received 6 months or so ago.

I got a survey after a stay a few years ago and said the exact same thing. If people want the “mega resort” experience there are plenty of options on the big island. MK is special because it has a timeless relaxed luxury feel and I told them I hope they don’t mess around with it. I’ve stayed there at least once a year for the last 6 or 7 years and I won’t go back if they try to turn it into an upscale Hapuna or Fairmont.
patmcpsu likes this.
Old May 29, 2020, 10:54 am

Programs: UA GS, 3MM, Titanium Elite for life
Well, the governor has extended the date beyond 30-June. New date to be announced soon.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...avid-ige-says/

-sr

Originally Posted by smokie
In my communications with them during the past week, they indicated that they intend to re-open July 1.

However, this is still obviously contingent on the governor not extending the travel ban past June 30th...
Old May 29, 2020, 5:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tattikat2

I hope not.

I wouldn't call the pool perfect. I think it's pretty boring. Plus whether it's correct or not, the younger generation do prefer laying around the pool to going to the beach so maybe something other than a boring oval wouldn't be a bad idea.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old May 29, 2020, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
This discussion about the pool perfectly sums up the MKBH's problem. They are perfectly happy catering to the same clientele who have gone there for years and who remember it as some "grand old dame". But now it's just a tired property with a lackluster staff on a spectacular beach. And that clientele who remembers years of family holidays are rapidly dying off, while the place continues to alienate anyone new by overpromising and under-delivering on a luxury or even upscale Hawaiian experience. Sad, really, to watch the place die from the inside out.
Old May 29, 2020, 9:18 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
This discussion about the pool perfectly sums up the MKBH's problem. They are perfectly happy catering to the same clientele who have gone there for years and who remember it as some "grand old dame". But now it's just a tired property with a lackluster staff on a spectacular beach. And that clientele who remembers years of family holidays are rapidly dying off, while the place continues to alienate anyone new by overpromising and under-delivering on a luxury or even upscale Hawaiian experience. Sad, really, to watch the place die from the inside out.
Yeah some of the rooms need a refresh. But it definitely has something special still. Most of the people are not there for the service. It’s all about the beach, which is pound for pound the best in Hawaii. I worry that it’s not as profitable for it’s owners as a modern mega resort would be. It doesn’t have the size to host big conferences etc. But a major redevelopment which added more rooms would change the ambiance and atmosphere for the worse.
Old May 30, 2020, 9:06 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Yeah some of the rooms need a refresh. But it definitely has something special still. Most of the people are not there for the service. It’s all about the beach, which is pound for pound the best in Hawaii. I worry that it’s not as profitable for it’s owners as a modern mega resort would be. It doesn’t have the size to host big conferences etc. But a major redevelopment which added more rooms would change the ambiance and atmosphere for the worse.
No argument about that beach, that's for sure. But even on a Hawaiian vacation to a resort with a near-perfect beach, I'm still going to be spending a lot of time in my room and on the grounds. And for the prices they charge, and the flowery language with which they describe themselves online, I most definitely expected Ritz (or at the very least Marriott) levels of service. I think the best word I could use to describe the staff's overall attitude was "indifferent". They didn't seem to care about much of anything, or even really to want to be there. It sucked all the magic out of what should have been a wonderful stay.
Old May 30, 2020, 11:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
No argument about that beach, that's for sure. But even on a Hawaiian vacation to a resort with a near-perfect beach, I'm still going to be spending a lot of time in my room and on the grounds. And for the prices they charge, and the flowery language with which they describe themselves online, I most definitely expected Ritz (or at the very least Marriott) levels of service. I think the best word I could use to describe the staff's overall attitude was "indifferent". They didn't seem to care about much of anything, or even really to want to be there. It sucked all the magic out of what should have been a wonderful stay.
I have been fortunate to have experienced, on repeated visits, not only a warm welcome, but also to have been treated with anything but an indifferent attitude by those we met.
The concept of Laurance S. Rockefeller and designed and built in 1964 by renowned architect and engineering company Skidmore, Owens and Merrill, the hotel is a study in mid-century modern design. The building was presented with an honors award by the American Institute of Architects in 1967 and was inducted as a member of Historic Hotels of America. HHA is the official program of the National Trust for Historic Preservation, which recognizes and celebrates the finest historic hotels across America.
The original landscaping included 200,000 plants representing more than 200 varieties for the hotel grounds.
It also has an extensive (1,600+ ) collection of art objects from Asia, Oceania and the Pacific Rim which are displayed all over the hotel, out in the open for guests to discover and enjoy.
The beach on which the hotel sits, known locally as
Kaunaʻoa Bay, as a number of FT members have mentioned, is outstanding having been named top beach in the US in 2000 by Dr Beach.

It is of it's time and era and as such may not represent what is considered current or modern.
It is however, most certainly a one of a kind hotel in todays cookie cutter world and for those that share an appreciation of these attributes, it is a place to savor and enjoy.
travelinmanS likes this.

Last edited by tattikat2; May 31, 2020 at 9:17 am
Old May 31, 2020, 12:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Yes thats what I heard as well reg. July ( they said email June 25th for update)

I did also enquire about their 2021 renovation schedule and was told this:
RENOVATION FOR 2021
The MAIN BUILDING WILL BE CLOSED from 3/22 to 7/18 - (4MONTHS)
The BEACHFRONT WING WILL BE CLOSED from 7/19 to 10/3 (ABOUT 3MONTHS)

Do not know if the wing not being renovated is available during these time, or also how disruptive this work will be if you are staying during it.
So they tented the place to fumigate, but plan on ripping out the interiors next year anyway?

Not that they should not be fined retroactively for painting over mahogany woodwork in some prior refresh, but why not just dive into the reno when the place was shut down anyway? Could be done with half a wing before they reopen, and most of the hotel before occupancy comes back.

Then again pointing out the obvious never helped my management career.

Glad I went in March before things completely went off the rails.
Old May 31, 2020, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by jayer
So they tented the place to fumigate, but plan on ripping out the interiors next year anyway?

Not that they should not be fined retroactively for painting over mahogany woodwork in some prior refresh, but why not just dive into the reno when the place was shut down anyway? Could be done with half a wing before they reopen, and most of the hotel before occupancy comes back.

Then again pointing out the obvious never helped my management career.

Glad I went in March before things completely went off the rails.
Logistically it's much quicker and cheaper to fumigate than refurb. Refurb needs months of planning, design work and getting materials to the island etc. Also tourism is not likely to be anywhere close to back to normal even next year so it's still a good time to do it.
TSTraveler likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by small ring
Well, the governor has extended the date beyond 30-June. New date to be announced soon.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...avid-ige-says/

-sr
I’m assuming this is an August opening now, but likely December/who knows?
Old Jun 11, 2020, 6:46 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP
Closed until at least Aug 1 now 😕
Old Jun 11, 2020, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Wow - those termites are sure hard to get rid of....

David
Old Jun 11, 2020, 8:33 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
I am becoming slightly less smug about my October reservation. But, only slightly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.