Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Autograph Collection, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Property is a resort, so Autograph Collection resort benefits apply.

Confirmed list of benefits for Marriott Platinum Elite (and higher) members:

— Welcome Gift of 1000 Marriott Bonvoy points (per stay) OR continental breakfast at Manta Restaurant for member +1 (per day). See post 595 for a recent report of the elite breakfast benefit.
— Eligible for an upgrade and late check-out, if available.
— High-speed internet

Confirmed list of benefits for ALL Marriott Rewards Members:

— Free wifi (3 devices max, also extends out to the beach area)
— 10% discount on breakfast buffet at Manta Restaurant (3/29/21 unsure what is offered as there is no buffet)
— 10% discount for MKBH's twice-weekly Luau dinner and show
— 2 comp rental club sets with 2 paid rounds for golf
— 2 comp tennis racquet rentals

Maximum # in room is THREE (which is strange for a family property), but multiple calls to property have confirmed this/they're holding to it.
02-02-2024 Website now says 3rd and now 4th adult in room is $95 extra per person
Parking:

— Electric car charging stations: 4, For a fee
— On-site parking, fee: 30 USD daily
— Valet parking, fee: 30 USD daily

Room pictures: https://maunakeabeachhotel.com/accommodations/

Area restaurants: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawa...ts-thread.html

Print Wikipost

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Autograph Collection, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Yes, but the property's classification of rooms may not align with what Marriott has classified the rooms as in its booking system. Whether or not this involves games by the property is beyond my knowledge.
Potato... Pothato but it's still misleading customers who expect to receive a Suite using a SNA.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
Potato... Pothato but it's still misleading customers who expect to receive a Suite using a SNA.
I agree wholeheartedly. It should be escalated. At the very minimum, you should get the certificates refunded and receive a significant number of points if, in fact, there are no suites.

This is an issue and this property's management, which also manages the nearby Westin Hapuna Beach, has been criticized by numerous past guests others for its treatment of elite status guests.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
I agree wholeheartedly. It should be escalated. At the very minimum, you should get the certificates refunded and receive a significant number of points if, in fact, there are no suites.

This is an issue and this property's management, which also manages the nearby Westin Hapuna Beach, has been criticized by numerous past guests others for its treatment of elite status guests.
I am glad we are in agreement and here's some lighthearted comedy to remind us who to hold accountable.

Old Feb 21, 2019, 12:11 pm

I'm a Marriott gold member and stayed at the Mauna Kea with my parents every year in the 90s and 2000. Haven't been back since. Booked 5 nights with points in April. Do you guys think they'll factor in that we stayed there 8 times (even though it was a while ago)? Would love to get upgraded from a golf view room to an ocean. Also was curious if they comp parking fees and/or provide free breakfast. IIRC they don't for both. Thanks!
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by feldysf
I'm a Marriott gold member and stayed at the Mauna Kea with my parents every year in the 90s and 2000. Haven't been back since. Booked 5 nights with points in April. Do you guys think they'll factor in that we stayed there 8 times (even though it was a while ago)? Would love to get upgraded from a golf view room to an ocean. Also was curious if they comp parking fees and/or provide free breakfast. IIRC they don't for both. Thanks!
Been there several times (recently) as a plat premier. We've received a Golf View before so I wouldn't expect some random visits a decade ago and Gold status to get you anywhere (points or paid stay).

The golf view isn't the end of the world. If you spend any more time in that room than you have to you're wasting a great beach anyways.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold
Bonvoy Category?

I've been looking and perhaps I missed it, what Bonvoy reward category is this property in?
Thanks.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by rj123456
I've been looking and perhaps I missed it, what Bonvoy reward category is this property in?
Thanks.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:53 pm

Is the platinum elite breakfast for kids too? Traveling with spouse and two kids.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:58 pm

Just reading that this resort allows only 3 per room? What to do - I have a reservation and with two kids!
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by beagleflyer1977
Just reading that this resort allows only 3 per room? What to do - I have a reservation and with two kids!
When you booked it, did you specify 4 people in the room? If so, I can’t see them not honoring it. But if you only booked for 2 or 3 people and now want to sneak in a 4th when the max occupancy is 3 per room, you may have a problem there.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
When you booked it, did you specify 4 people in the room? If so, I can’t see them not honoring it. But if you only booked for 2 or 3 people and now want to sneak in a 4th when the max occupancy is 3 per room, you may have a problem there.
I booked for 2 adults - never specify kids on a reservation, figure two beds is enough - our kids are under 10.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:41 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
That's not the right way to do things, my friend. And it looks like it may have bitten you in the butt this time
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by beagleflyer1977
I booked for 2 adults - never specify kids on a reservation, figure two beds is enough - our kids are under 10.
So it seems you knew at booking that you couldn’t have four in a room? Otherwise, why not just book for four? US hotels generally don’t charge by the person (as long as the room type allows the number of people selected) so there is no reason to fudge the numbers. Unless you are trying to have more in a particular room than is allowed, as seems to be the case.

If I were you, I would be calling the hotel asap and coming clean with the actual number occupants. Otherwise you could be in for an unpleasant surprise when you arrive. It may not be a problem but if it is, I wouldn’t want to find out when I am standing at the check in desk with two kids.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Finkface
If I were you, I would be calling the hotel asap and coming clean with the actual number occupants. Otherwise you could be in for an unpleasant surprise when you arrive. It may not be a problem but if it is, I wouldn’t want to find out when I am standing at the check in desk with two kids.
This is one of the few situations in which IHG is better than Marriott. IHG's Holiday Inn brand is really good for families with the famous "kids stay free" policy allowing up to two kids and two adults in any room, up to age 18 in North America and the Caribbean and 17 in Europe. Plus, free food for kids under 12.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:41 am

This is one of the few situations in which IHG is better than Marriott. IHG's Holiday Inn brand is really good for families with the famous "kids stay free" policy allowing up to two kids and two adults in any room, up to age 18 in North America and the Caribbean and 17 in Europe. Plus, free food for kids under 12.
Sure, as long as the room occupancy allows four in that particular room. It isn’t about staying free, it could be about legality or policy. If fire codes or anything else (hotel policy?) limits the number of occupants in a certain room type, then paying or not isn’t going to make it allowable. That’s what I was getting at. If the hotel limits certain room categories to 3 occupants and that is a hard rule, then it’s better that the OP finds out now. If they charge him for the extra occupant, better that than having to pay rack rate for a higher room category at check in because he tried to sneak that fourth person in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.