Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Autograph Collection, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Property is a resort, so Autograph Collection resort benefits apply.

Confirmed list of benefits for Marriott Platinum Elite (and higher) members:

— Welcome Gift of 1000 Marriott Bonvoy points (per stay) OR continental breakfast at Manta Restaurant for member +1 (per day). See post 595 for a recent report of the elite breakfast benefit.
— Eligible for an upgrade and late check-out, if available.
— High-speed internet

Confirmed list of benefits for ALL Marriott Rewards Members:

— Free wifi (3 devices max, also extends out to the beach area)
— 10% discount on breakfast buffet at Manta Restaurant (3/29/21 unsure what is offered as there is no buffet)
— 10% discount for MKBH's twice-weekly Luau dinner and show
— 2 comp rental club sets with 2 paid rounds for golf
— 2 comp tennis racquet rentals

Maximum # in room is THREE (which is strange for a family property), but multiple calls to property have confirmed this/they're holding to it.
02-02-2024 Website now says 3rd and now 4th adult in room is $95 extra per person
Parking:

— Electric car charging stations: 4, For a fee
— On-site parking, fee: 30 USD daily
— Valet parking, fee: 30 USD daily

Room pictures: https://maunakeabeachhotel.com/accommodations/

Area restaurants: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawa...ts-thread.html

Print Wikipost

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Autograph Collection, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2018, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by jbarm
Saw a report on TA that breakfast for two was provided as a welcome amenity (or you could get 1,000 points). Will test the report out later in November.
i can report the same. Totally surprised, in a good way. Even checked this thread to see if I missed something, and there was nothing until the quoted post.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 3:39 pm

And I’ll add I am Platinum Elite, not sure what level is required for the free breakfast. And the benefit is the full buffet, not just continental.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jakers3200
And I’ll add I am Platinum Elite, not sure what level is required for the free breakfast. And the benefit is the full buffet, not just continental.
Platinum and higher. That's the new rule as of Aug. 18, 2018.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:27 am

Got this reply when asked for benefits:

"Since you are a Platinum Elite Member upon check-in you will have the option of points or breakfast. Breakfast will only be eligible for one room. You will also be eligible for an upgrade and late check-out, if available. Receive high speed internet, a 10% discount for two at our Luau Dinner, two complimentary tennis racquet rentals, and two complimentary rental club sets after two paid rounds of golf. If you have any additional questions please do not hesitate to ask."
bizum likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 1:51 pm
RLG

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat, UA Silver, AS MVP, HA premier
I stayed there in October and DID get the breakfast buffet free as a platinum.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:58 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Stay Report - 11/11 - 11/12

This is going to be a long report. My family vacationed here every year from 1989-1996 and this was my first time back and I got a little nostalgic

Location: The hotel is located on the west side of the island on HI-19. It's about 35 minutes north of KOA. Across HI-19 from it is sister property Hapuna Resort. Otherwise there's nothing around here except hiking trails. The nearest places for food or gas off resort are at least a 20 minute drive away. Which is not a bad thing.

Hotel: The hotel itself is not much to look at and in many spots its age is showing. It exists almost identically to how it did in my memories which is a good thing from a nostalgic point of view but presented a few practical issues. There's self parking as well as valet and the lobby occupies the 4th floor. It has several check in desks, several concierge desk and sitting areas. There's a shop next to it that sells some sundries but mainly clothes and jewelry. It's also really expensive, a bottle of sunblock was $21. A level down is the outdoor pool (which isn't much to see) as well as the Copper Bar and Restaurant and the Manta Bar and Restaurant. Manta is where breakfast is. A level down from that is the highlight of this resort: the absolutely incredible beach. There's also a beachside bar and restaurant that serves lunch and dinner at slightly cheaper prices (think $20 burgers). The hotel also has a large tennis club and an amazing golf course which makes me wish I still played...and wasn't awful.

Check In: I arrived at 3 PM and was told as a Platinum I was upgraded from a mountain view room to a king oceanfront which was a real treat. I was also asked if I wanted 1,000 points or breakfast (I took breakfast) and given a 10% off coupon card for the restaurants and for free golf clubs and tennis racket rentals. Annoyingly I had to wait until 3:30 PM to get into my room. I noticed a lot of people were checking on their room status too.

Room: While the common areas remain static, the rooms themselves have been well upgraded. Large bed (though no outlets next to it), huge flat screen SmarTV, bathroom with separate bath/shower and toilet rooms, full size closet. I was brought three bottles of wine and also found fruit and breads waiting for me. The highlight was of course the balcony on which I spent a lot of time.

Dining/Breakfast: I had dinner at the Copper Bar and Grill. Service was good and the Mai Tai delicious but my $38 steak was awful, one of the worst I've had in fact. That was disappointing. I had drinks at the beachside bar which were good but wow are they expensive: a Pina Colada is $16. Breakfast at Manta incidentally is incredible. Probably the best hotel breakfast I've had in the US. Omelet bar which also did waffles, smoked salmon, cold cuts and cheese, scrambled eggs, bacon, several types of sausage, Miso soup, rice, blintzes, eggs benedict, premium breakfast breads. It absolutely blew me away.

Copper

Manta

Beach: Each guest can get two free towels from a hut next to the beach bar. The chairs and umbrellas are first come first serve. They also rent boats and surf boards. The beach is amazing and a real treat. Probably the best beach I've been to anywhere.

Grounds: A lot of fun to stroll around.

Overall I think it's still a great place to be. I got more elite recognition than I was expecting and had a lovely time and was glad to spend the 45,000 points. However if I come back I'll probably venture off property for dinner because I don't think any of the dining options are all that special.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
This trip report matched my sentiments exactly. The hotel itself is quirky (in a good way) and the beach is world-class. Everything is "nice" without being stuffy, or feeling like you're being pampered too much.

I found the food to be decent, but yes, very overpriced. I recommend going to Waimea for meals. Even though it's a 20 minute drive each way, it's a memorable drive with lots of elevation-change and great views. By the time you get up there, it will be noticeably colder and you might even be in the clouds. I really enjoyed Waimea Brewing Company, and would typically go there for lunch and a growler fill. They sell metallic, insulated growlers there, which I found to be a practical souvenir to bring back home.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Something to keep in mind is the fact that both the Mauna Kea and the new Westin Hapuna Beach are owned and managed by the same company. The Westin is kind of weird because some staff wear Mauna Kea clothing and the gift shop only sells swag with Mauna Kew's branding. It's almost like an annex of the Mauna Kea.

The beaches at both properties are pretty similar, if you ask me. The Westin will have fresher rooms, but stupidly has carpet in the rooms, which strikes me as illogical for an island hotel.

Unlike the Mauna Kea, all of the Westin's rooms are ocean-facing. That could be a big advantage for point redemptions, if the Mauna Kea is running at high occupancy and doesn't upgrade you. On the other hand, the Westin management is also being disingenuous by not disclosing the construction.
bizum likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:46 pm

Planning to visit the big island in January. Is it safe to assume that Westin will be busier since its cheaper? Also, which has the less busy (larger?) beach? Between Westin and MK, I think I'd like the less busy option though its quite tempting to pick Westin since they just had the refresh. I'm a low plat traveling with spouse and infant, our goal is rest and relaxation
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

mauna kea beach probably best regarded beach in hawaii, US, possibly mexico

for paid stays can also rent residences
bizum, Naylia and patmcpsu like this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by bizum
Is it safe to assume that Westin will be busier since its cheaper?
Just a different experience, probably more families at Westin, more couples at Mauna Kea. If price is not a consideration go with the Mauna Kea. Beach at Mauna Kea is more protected while beach at Hapuna is much bigger. I wouldn't worry about crowds at either. FWIW theres a free shuttle between the two and you can bill to your room.
bizum likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Just a different experience, probably more families at Westin, more couples at Mauna Kea. If price is not a consideration go with the Mauna Kea. Beach at Mauna Kea is more protected while beach at Hapuna is much bigger. I wouldn't worry about crowds at either. FWIW theres a free shuttle between the two and you can bill to your room.
Thank you, I'll be using points. With MK, looks like the points only availability was quite limited but I managed to get a points only room.

Last edited by bizum; Dec 4, 2018 at 12:51 am Reason: Edit about booking
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Just keep in mind the construction at the Westin Hapuna Beach is going to be an issue, if you don't get a room on the opposite wing of the hotel. Meanwhile, the Mauna Kea, Autograph Collection's basic rooms face the parking lot. During high season on points I don't know what would be worse: Parking lot view or construction view.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Just keep in mind the construction at the Westin Hapuna Beach is going to be an issue, if you don't get a room on the opposite wing of the hotel. Meanwhile, the Mauna Kea, Autograph Collection's basic rooms face the parking lot. During high season on points I don't know what would be worse: Parking lot view or construction view.
We stayed at the Mauna Kea this summer in the “golf view” room on the parking lot side, and it was fine—more mountain than parking lot. Nothing exceptional, but nothing to be worried about.

(Not sure we will go back. With three kids we needed two rooms, and the hotel was unable/unwilling to to provide adjacent rooms. OTOH, that beach!)
bizum likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 5:10 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Dwai

We stayed at the Mauna Kea this summer in the “golf view” room on the parking lot side, and it was fine—more mountain than parking lot. Nothing exceptional, but nothing to be worried about.

(Not sure we will go back. With three kids we needed two rooms, and the hotel was unable/unwilling to to provide adjacent rooms. OTOH, that beach!)
I concur. Our room was on a lower floor facing the parking lot, and our view was mostly of palm trees that are between the hotel and parking lot. It wasn't a bad view at all, but my in-laws had an oceanview room and WOW, it was probably the most beautiful view I've ever seen from a hotel room.

If facing the "wrong" side of the hotel, I would recommend a lower room. Not only because I would rather look at the palm trees than over them, but because it's the sort of hotel where the stairs are preferable to the elevator if it is practical.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.