Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Autograph Collection, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Property is a resort, so Autograph Collection resort benefits apply.

Confirmed list of benefits for Marriott Platinum Elite (and higher) members:

— Welcome Gift of 1000 Marriott Bonvoy points (per stay) OR continental breakfast at Manta Restaurant for member +1 (per day). See post 595 for a recent report of the elite breakfast benefit.
— Eligible for an upgrade and late check-out, if available.
— High-speed internet

Confirmed list of benefits for ALL Marriott Rewards Members:

— Free wifi (3 devices max, also extends out to the beach area)
— 10% discount on breakfast buffet at Manta Restaurant (3/29/21 unsure what is offered as there is no buffet)
— 10% discount for MKBH's twice-weekly Luau dinner and show
— 2 comp rental club sets with 2 paid rounds for golf
— 2 comp tennis racquet rentals

Maximum # in room is THREE (which is strange for a family property), but multiple calls to property have confirmed this/they're holding to it.
02-02-2024 Website now says 3rd and now 4th adult in room is $95 extra per person
Parking:

— Electric car charging stations: 4, For a fee
— On-site parking, fee: 30 USD daily
— Valet parking, fee: 30 USD daily

Room pictures: https://maunakeabeachhotel.com/accommodations/

Area restaurants: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawa...ts-thread.html

Print Wikipost

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Autograph Collection, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Award stay question

Hello,

Do the staff reach out to guest prior to their stay with paid upgrade offers when on an award stay?

Thank you for any replies^

Last edited by tattikat2; Jul 19, 2017 at 10:05 pm Reason: spelling, always speeling.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by tattikat2
Hello,

Do the staff reach out to guest prior to their stay with paid upgrade offers when on an award stay?

Thank you for any replies^
Not in my experience. I would suggest proactively reaching out to the hotel directly several weeks before your stay. Cheers.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by jeepie
Not in my experience. I would suggest proactively reaching out to the hotel directly several weeks before your stay. Cheers.
Thank you for your reply jeepie
Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite (Lifetime Gold), United 1K
Does anyone know if Mauna Kea has an email contact for management, or just via a phone call to start?
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by davidsc111
Depends on what upgrade you're looking for. Stayed there last summer over the 4th and had two rooms upgraded to beach front. I was contacted by the concierge before we arrived and I worked my magic on them. We love Mauna Kea and we're headed back in February but it is a slow paced hang at the beach kind of resort. It is far from everything. The Wailea Beach Marriott on Maui is in the middle of Wailea and is walking distance to a couple of great beach's, restaurants, shops, etc... depends on what your looking for. If you just want to hang at the beach there are few properties in HI better than the Mauna Kea.
David -- can you give any more detail on how you worked your magic with the concierge? I just got my advance email from them as well. I don't need beachfront, but would love an upgrade to from the basic golf view to a Deluxe (which appears to be about 300 sqft bigger). Was it a paid upgrade or complimentary? I'm a gold, so hopefully that helps a little, though not as much as plat would of course. Looks like there are still plenty of rooms for sale at relatively low rates -- I guess late August may be sort of a slow time, which hopefully helps for upgrade potential. Any hints/suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks!
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by rbw5t
David -- can you give any more detail on how you worked your magic with the concierge? I just got my advance email from them as well. I don't need beachfront, but would love an upgrade to from the basic golf view to a Deluxe (which appears to be about 300 sqft bigger). Was it a paid upgrade or complimentary? I'm a gold, so hopefully that helps a little, though not as much as plat would of course. Looks like there are still plenty of rooms for sale at relatively low rates -- I guess late August may be sort of a slow time, which hopefully helps for upgrade potential. Any hints/suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks!
Our upgrade was complimentary but I am also platinum... I replied to the concierge email with a couple of requests (dinners, etc.) and noted that we were coming to visit to celebrate our anniversary (which we were) albeit a few weeks late. I also stressed that the most important thing was that our two rooms (we had our daughters) were adjoining. This has worked pretty well for us in the past, I don't know if they like that I'm not "demanding" an upgrade but if you only have one room...of course it won't help. I've found that if you reach out ahead of time (wherever your staying) and let them know it's a special occasion and have them book a dinner or two (which you can cancel when you get there if you want) it always seems to do the trick. Also, in this case the concierge didn't reply for over a week so I followed up and she had spaced it...so maybe she felt guilty and intervened on our behalf. I always look for an opportune way to ask without asking... We're headed back for a week in February and I'll be interested to see how it plays out then. However, even the worst room at this place guarantee's you a couple of loungers on the best beach I've ever been to. Love this place.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:44 pm

Great, thanks so much David! We are planning to book a few things, Luau, maybe Clambake, etc. It's our first trip to Hawaii, which may not qualify as a special occasion, but I'll see how I do. I totally get the subtly asking without asking.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:56 pm

Hello,

How far in advance of your stay does the hotel reach out to guests with the "email" being discussed here?

Thanks for any replies
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by tattikat2
Hello,

How far in advance of your stay does the hotel reach out to guests with the "email" being discussed here?

Thanks for any replies
For me, it was 13 days in advance of check-in, but I don't know if that's standardized at all or just whenever the concierge gets to it.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by rbw5t
For me, it was 13 days in advance of check-in, but I don't know if that's standardized at all or just whenever the concierge gets to it.
Thanks rbw5t for your reply^
Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
For award bookings, what sort of upgrade rates are offered in the concierge email?

For reference, awards get you a standard room golf view, and its possible to confirm at booking :

Deluxe golf eCertificate plus 75 USD required per night.
Beachfront eCertificate plus 150 USD required per night.
Oceanview eCertificate plus 200 USD required per night.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 9:27 pm

Any idea when the rooms were most recently renovated here?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
Any idea when the rooms were most recently renovated here?
After the earthquake...i think 2010...
Old Aug 23, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite (Lifetime Gold), United 1K
Received my concierge email last weekend for my stay that is 2.5 weeks out. So far, confirmed a couple of reservations that I'm not sure I'll stick with or not, and asked about an upgrade as a Platinum. Two different people responded saying I won't know until check-in (which I expected, TBH).

Some questions for the group:
- Does anyone recommend the clam bake? At $120 a pop, we'd consider it, but wanted some thoughts on the group. We were considering a private dinner option but the pricing is just absurd.
- Do they typically do day-of spa deals at this resort? I don't want to book anything in advance in case they do, as I've done this frequently at other resorts.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by cmatthews11
- Do they typically do day-of spa deals at this resort? I don't want to book anything in advance in case they do, as I've done this frequently at other resorts.
I didn't think to check the spa at this hotel for some reason, so I don't know the answer. However, for comparison, what types of deals have you found at other resorts, and how do you hear about them typically? I wasn't aware hotel spas had day-of deals!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.