Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Berlin Grand Hotel Esplanade, Germany [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Berlin Grand Hotel Esplanade, Germany [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2015, 3:31 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Same curtain issue here (also x75 room) and the air condition doesn't work at all in this room.
Old May 18, 2015, 8:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by Football Fan
The whole hotel has kind of an 80s/90s feel to it. Even though it is quite cheap, I'd rather go elsewhere.
Somehow reminds me of Beavis and Butthead.

The difference between a spa and a health club is actually quite obvious, although a lot of hot air can be found in both and on FT as well.
Old May 27, 2015, 2:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
I'm currently on night 2 of a 3 night stay. Internet reception is absolutely horrible in my room on the 5th floor.

I should have stayed at the Westin or the Hyatt instead.
Old May 28, 2015, 3:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by CanRulez
I'm currently on night 2 of a 3 night stay. Internet reception is absolutely horrible in my room on the 5th floor.

I should have stayed at the Westin or the Hyatt instead.
The Westin has a lot of issues and is roughly 30-50% more expensive, often more.

The Hyatt is the best hotel of the 3 you mentioned, but is often twice as expensive.

Rates at the Esplanade start at Euro 89 for most of the summer, which is a solid value for a 5* in Berlin.

Thanks to the complaints by B&B, the spa seems to be free of charge for Platinum members now as well.

To be honest with you, the Esplanade as of now is a solid 4*S property and you can find cheaper (and equally good) properties in Berlin for Euro 50-60 during flash sales on all major travel portals.

At this point, I am still waiting for a clear differentiation of standard suites (which should be free of charge for a Plat.) and the more upscale suites (for which I am more than happy to pay a reasonable add. charge of Euro 50-60)
Old Jun 14, 2015, 3:05 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
At the hotel for a two-night stay now. I am paying 94 EUR per night.

Got pre-upgraded to an executive park suite - which have views towards the park/river. It's on the top floor - 7th - and it's quite spacious, but not a real suite, since there is no actual door between the bed area and the living area. The living area and the bed area are divided by a "half-wall" and a curtain Quite strange. The obvious thing would have to be a proper wall and a door to divide the living room from the bed room completely.

So, say - if we're two in the room - and one of us wanna sleep while the other one wanna watch tv - that's not possible for a light sleeper. Luckily I am travelling alone right now. There is no wall between the bathroom and the bedroom either - there is a wc-cublicle and a shower-cublicle - both of glass, but the bath tub and the vanity is in the midle of the room. Would be impossible to stay there if one were travelling with friends or parents. But, I am travelling alone, so I do enjoy the suite and the space.

I have no idea who came up with the open space solutions, open bathroom and open plan suite - I would definately prefer the obvious with walls and doors. But, since I am travelling alone and enjoying watching the tv in the bedroom from the bath tub I cant really complain.

The lady at check-in mentioned that I would get the 500 points in addition to the breakfast (she issued two breakfast coupons - one for each morning). Let's see if the points post.....

There is a lively bar and lounge at this hotel. Seems to be frequented by the locals as well. It is packed - even on a Sunday evening.

The staff is fine. I have not encountered any trouble with any of them. All of them have been accomodating.

The pool is a joke - it is shaped like a triangle, i.e. impossible for proper swimming. When I visited there were lots of people in the pool, just talking and plunging around.

The location is fine...depends what you are here for. If you are a tourist with limited amount of time I would probably not stay here. But for me the location is convenient. I love having another SPG option in town! And I do think I prefert his hotel to the Westin - IF the rate is lower.

I would definately stay here again!

Now, if only this hotel would include a club lounge...
Old Jun 14, 2015, 11:39 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Damn, a Sheraton without a Club Lounge. Thought it would be a brand standard.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 4:11 am

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Originally Posted by lcpteck
Where?!
Old Jun 15, 2015, 5:17 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
According to this thread, a club lounge is being built?
Old Jun 15, 2015, 6:35 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, LH SEN
Originally Posted by remymartin
According to this thread, a club lounge is being built?
Yes, IIRC front desk told me until the end of this year.

I’m glad there’s another Starwood option in Berlin but I've mixed feelings after three stays.

Never got a suite (or any, it feels) upgrade. Just the absolute minimum plat. treatment (pts & late check-out).

One time they gave me a room right next to the noisy elevators. One time a front desk clerk insisted that bed linens are always only changed after three days (even though I had placed the „please change the linens“ card on the bed). Those issues got resolved promptly and friendly though.

The rooms are ok (a plus: espresso machine and free SKY sport channels).

The air conditioning system is dated (not sure if it worked at all) and even if turned off there is cold air blowing into the room, which I felt was very uncomfortable during the nights. This was the case during all my stays.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I can confirm that the club lounge isn't being built yet, but it will be, and it will be added late this year/early next year. I hope it won't drag out Once added it will be a great benefit for plats in Berlin
Old Jul 2, 2015, 6:42 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
I stayed here as a Gold a week ago, arriving in the evening and leaving in the morning for an early flight. I booked a river view on a BRG, and I don't believe that I got an upgrade. As an aside, I had to follow up with the BRG team to get the points to post.

Check in was great. The agent who checked me in was a trainee (and super cute), and she offered us some Haribo gummy bears. This was great, since I was going into Haribo withdrawal. I had a bit of trouble opening the door -- it turns out you have to push the door in after inserting your key. The doorknob doesn't actually do anything.

The night before my arrival, I sent an email to the hotel. I didn't receive a response, but, upon enquiring with the concierge, it turned out they'd fulfilled it. I'd asked for a few cheap stamps for my collection, with the cost added to my bill, and they gave me the stamps for free . He was also able to recommend a good Currywurst place nearby.

The room was spacious, and housekeeping was immaculate. The river view, however, was less than stellar : although we were on a high floor, you couldn't actually see the river because of all the trees surrounding it. The curtains worked fine to block out the light.

Overall, I liked this hotel much better than the Westin, and I'll be coming back next time I'm in Berlin. I'll echo the perspective of the others who suggest that this might not be the best property for your first visit to Berlin : a lot of the main attractions are a bit far (ie not walking distance). There are a few restaurants quite close by, but I didn't get a chance to try them out.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 1:21 am

Programs: BONVOY Lifetime Platinum , Ay Platinum, Hhonors Diamond
I had quite an average 2 night stay at this property in august 2015.

No upgrade, althought early arrival and late departure were fine. Still no mention of the better rooms (available online). Didn't push for it either since it was more essential to get a room fast.

Cold atmosphere at the reception. No smiles, no eye-contacts no any extra info about anything. Asked about the club lounge and was told that they don't have one, nothing more about that. Took breakfast as my plat amenity (thought they tried to carged me for it at check out).

Breakfast fully crowded but still part of the restaurant closed. Very small (1dl) juice glass, otherwise okay.

Internet worked fine for me, but note that they carge for the use of business center.

Afterwards make agreen choice points didn't posted. Once again. I mean how hard is it for the hotel to post them correctly? For me it's now 3rd consecutive run for them not to post correctly.

Mixed feelings about this property. Althought it's nice to have an alternative to Westin i still prefer it even whit it faults (mostly the stupid&confusing continental breakfast). Somehow this property didn't feel like a sheraton to me, more like 4points.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, UA PP, MR LTTE, was HH/D now Gold
Originally Posted by lcpteck
20% of sheratons have no lounge
Old Sep 12, 2015, 7:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
I have to agree this is not a good option right now unless you're just looking for the lowest priced SPG hotel in town.

No lounge, breakfast only in lieu of the 500 points, terrible internet connectivity, sauna surcharge, small basic rooms, etc. Not a great stay at all.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 4:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
I have to agree this is not a good option right now unless you're just looking for the lowest priced SPG hotel in town.

No lounge, breakfast only in lieu of the 500 points, terrible internet connectivity, sauna surcharge, small basic rooms, etc. Not a great stay at all.
My thoughts exactly. Service at the front desk was cold too. Not sure if the staff here came from the previous hotel brand but I wasn't impressed at all.

Last edited by CanRulez; Sep 13, 2015 at 6:22 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.