Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Hotel Mumbai Sahar (India) [Master Thread]

JW Marriott Hotel Mumbai Sahar (India) [Master Thread]

Old Sep 7, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Bringing this thread up again - any recent first-hand experiences in regard to Platinum treatment at the hotel, especially upgrades, and the availability of alcoholic drinks at that hotel? Also I have read that the hotel's restaurant is considered one of the best in the city - anyone here has an opinion on this as well?

Thanks for your feedback!

Greetings - Dirk
Old Sep 10, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
FWIW I emailed the hotel's GM, and he replied that there is no National Highway within 500m to the hotel, so beverage service is as always, and in regard to the upgrade-issue I got the feedback that they "value our platinum members and make every effort on arrival to upgrade them to the best room".

Greetings - Dirk
Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:20 am

Currently staying here, and if you guys think the car is expensive, try charging £8 for a portion of rice... in India...
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Recondite
Currently staying here, and if you guys think the car is expensive, try charging £8 for a portion of rice... in India...
So ridiculous that I would call them out on it!

Any feedback on the lounge?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:25 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold *woodPlat LHFTL Marriott Lifetime Plat.
Just had a two night stay here on our way back from a three week vacation.
We were upgraded to the executive floor even though we were using points and the voucher from the autumn promotion.. The Exec lounge is on the 17th floor and serves an excellent breakfast with a chef present to cook both eggs and Indian breakfast specialities.
Happy hour is now taken in a reserved area of the JW Cafe at lobby level between 5.30 and 9.30..They appear to not be able to serve alcohol in the lounge, but copious amounts of free alcohol were available during happy hour, including cocktails and various wines. The food during happy hour is plentiful but you can also order from the restaurant menu at your exec club table ( we had an excellent vegetarian masala curry and some tikka chicken) whilst still enjoying the free drinks until 9.30 pm.This is a really great deal!
the staff were very friendly and helpful. There is an open air pool with plenty of shade and, despite the proximity to the airport, almost no aircraft noise.
We arrived on a domestic flight and the airport arranged a pick up from the terminal for 900 Rupees. It cost a further 800 Rupees to transfer to the international terminal which is right next door (but unwalkable) which is very expensive but unless you want to walk off property and take your chances with a tuk tuk you have no choice.
All in all we had a great stay in a very modern and well appointed property.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by friedberger
Just had a two night stay here on our way back from a three week vacation.
We were upgraded to the executive floor even though we were using points and the voucher from the autumn promotion.. The Exec lounge is on the 17th floor and serves an excellent breakfast with a chef present to cook both eggs and Indian breakfast specialities.
Happy hour is now taken in a reserved area of the JW Cafe at lobby level between 5.30 and 9.30..They appear to not be able to serve alcohol in the lounge, but copious amounts of free alcohol were available during happy hour, including cocktails and various wines. The food during happy hour is plentiful but you can also order from the restaurant menu at your exec club table ( we had an excellent vegetarian masala curry and some tikka chicken) whilst still enjoying the free drinks until 9.30 pm.This is a really great deal!
the staff were very friendly and helpful. There is an open air pool with plenty of shade and, despite the proximity to the airport, almost no aircraft noise.
We arrived on a domestic flight and the airport arranged a pick up from the terminal for 900 Rupees. It cost a further 800 Rupees to transfer to the international terminal which is right next door (but unwalkable) which is very expensive but unless you want to walk off property and take your chances with a tuk tuk you have no choice.
All in all we had a great stay in a very modern and well appointed property.
Interesting that you suggest it to be unwalkable - the hotel actually advised me to walk, rather than use their chauffeur service (I mentioned I was entitled to free chauffeurs and took it) Evidently I looked poor :P
Old Feb 23, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Recondite
Interesting that you suggest it to be unwalkable - the hotel actually advised me to walk, rather than use their chauffeur service (I mentioned I was entitled to free chauffeurs and took it) Evidently I looked poor :P
I stayed with my family last summer and scoped our the walk- it was quite reasonable, about 5 minutes even with luggage. The day of our departure it was raining heavily and my wife and kids didn’t want to get soaked (imagine that!), so I called an Uber XL. The cost was around 200rs. for a SUV to the international terminal entrance, vs. the ridiculous fee being requested by the hotel for their car.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by whimsey21

I stayed with my family last summer and scoped our the walk- it was quite reasonable, about 5 minutes even with luggage. The day of our departure it was raining heavily and my wife and kids didn’t want to get soaked (imagine that!), so I called an Uber XL. The cost was around 200rs. for a SUV to the international terminal entrance, vs. the ridiculous fee being requested by the hotel for their car.
That was basically my understanding. I knew it couldn't be far, as if an Indian suggests something is walkable, it really must be; people think I'm mad for opting to walk 2km over there.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I just booked this hotel for 5 nights using points. Any recent experiences here? Although it’s a bit far from the tourist places, apart from doing an organised 1-day tour, is it easy to find shopping centres / other places to relax around the hotel? It seems wherever you chose in Mumbai, taxis and traffic will be part of the deal.

Also, does anyone know if there are taxes to pay on a reward booking? I heard weird stories about this and don’t want to be charged 28%, but then 28% of what? Surely there are no taxes to pay.

I heard some stories that you had to pay taxes on free upgrades in India. Is this true?! Thanks!
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by yorkboy24
I just booked this hotel for 5 nights using points. Any recent experiences here? Although it’s a bit far from the tourist places, apart from doing an organised 1-day tour, is it easy to find shopping centres / other places to relax around the hotel? It seems wherever you chose in Mumbai, taxis and traffic will be part of the deal.

Also, does anyone know if there are taxes to pay on a reward booking? I heard weird stories about this and don’t want to be charged 28%, but then 28% of what? Surely there are no taxes to pay.

I heard some stories that you had to pay taxes on free upgrades in India. Is this true?! Thanks!
I was there a couple of months ago. There wasn't any shopping centres around the hotel. In fact the only shopping nearby was located at the airport which is directly across the street. The hotel does have a very nice pool area and fitness centre. The executive lounge was also very good.

I did not pay any taxes on my reward booking.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
Not much shopping or sightseeing close to the hotel, everything will be a 30-40 minute cab ride away.

The executive lounge is excellent with a fantastic with top shelf alcohol, hot and cold buffet spread for breakfast as well as during cocktail hour.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by imverge
I was there a couple of months ago. There wasn't any shopping centres around the hotel. In fact the only shopping nearby was located at the airport which is directly across the street. The hotel does have a very nice pool area and fitness centre. The executive lounge was also very good.

I did not pay any taxes on my reward booking.
Thanks for the information. Using points seems like a good deal here compared to the rate of around 15000 rupiahs per night then with 28% taxes added on. Even though the location isn’t the best it seems like the hotel is a retreat from the city. Did you manage to get upgraded? Did you avail of the transfer service? As a first time visitor to Indian arriving at 1 am it might be better to book the hotel car.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Anish
Not much shopping or sightseeing close to the hotel, everything will be a 30-40 minute cab ride away.

The executive lounge is excellent with a fantastic with top shelf alcohol, hot and cold buffet spread for breakfast as well as during cocktail hour.
Thanks for your help. I’ll probably have to use the hotel as a base / retreat and book daily tours / take Uber’s to places. I read there were shopping centres not too far away but you need to go in the early afternoons to avoid all the traffic! Was it easier using Uber rather than taxis? Do you still think this hotel is the best choice for Mumbai for Marriott given that most are still far from the south of the city where the attractions are? Thanks again!
Old Sep 12, 2018, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by yorkboy24

Thanks for the information. Using points seems like a good deal here compared to the rate of around 15000 rupiahs per night then with 28% taxes added on. Even though the location isn’t the best it seems like the hotel is a retreat from the city. Did you manage to get upgraded? Did you avail of the transfer service? As a first time visitor to Indian arriving at 1 am it might be better to book the hotel car.

No I didn’t get upgraded but I arrived at 6am and was happy that they were able to give me a room. Since you are arriving at 1AM I’d book for arrival the day prior since there is no guarantee they will let you check in that early. As for hotel transfer car if you don’t have too much luggage save yourself the ridiculous rip-off they charge and do like I did and walk! The hotel is literally across the street.

Exit on arrivals levels and walk past Starbucks to the back of the car park you can then take elevator or walk down the pedestrian ramp located to the right of the elevators to street level (2 levels down) and turn right keep walking about 100 meters you will immediately see the hotel as you are walking then make a left 200 meters and the hotel entrance is on your immediate right. It took me about 8 minutes.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by imverge

No I didn’t get upgraded but I arrived at 6am and was happy that they were able to give me a room. Since you are arriving at 1AM I’d book for arrival the day prior since there is no guarantee they will let you check in that early. As for hotel transfer car if you don’t have too much luggage save yourself the ridiculous rip-off they charge and do like I did and walk! The hotel is literally across the street.

Exit on arrivals levels and walk past Starbucks to the back of the car park you can then take elevator or walk down the pedestrian ramp located to the right of the elevators to street level (2 levels down) and turn right keep walking about 100 meters you will immediately see the hotel as you are walking then make a left 200 meters and the hotel entrance is on your immediate right. It took me about 8 minutes.
Thanks very much for the directions! I have booked the night prior (I booked 5 nights with points). I'll consider walking as I'll be travelling light but I'm just worried about walking there at 1 am and whether it's safe as it's my first time in the country. Should be OK though. Have you tried other Marriott / SPG in Mumbai? How did this one compare? I was also considering the Marriott Juhu Beach.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.