Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Marquis at the Marina, San Diego [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2016, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
This property is one of the 14 exempt from offering breakfast on the weekend when the lounge is closed. The elite gets 1,000pts/day instead.

Hat tip to LoganFlyer:

"A heads up: parking is now managed by Ace Parking, which means parking charges are no longer eligible for points at this hotel."
Print Wikipost

Marriott Marquis at the Marina, San Diego [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2018, 6:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by davidw70
Does anyone know about the $25 amenity fee now being added to reservations? Is it waived for Platinums?
That really sucks. They're following the two Westin properties, which have had an "amenity fee" for sometime. (And the Manchester GH now requires a credit card deposit for all stays.)

This property already consistently commanded the highest rates of all comparable properties - often $100-300 per night higher than the Manchester, Hilton Bayfront, Westins, etc. So much so that it became a sore spot with my San Diego client, and my last two stays have gone to SpringHill Suites, which is actually a very nice property and closer to the courthouse.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 4:05 am

It's in the lounge master threat but wanted to add here too. Upon checkin you are given two lounge cards and they have a paper list they check-off to ensure only two people per room are admitted (and cards aren't passed around). The only exception is children age 2 or under are allowed as a guest w/o a pass.

There was a mother with two young boys (I'd guess ages 3 & 5) who was told that she was only allowed to take in one child as she has only two passes. She mentioned that she stays at the hotel often and asked when this changed and was told the end of January 2018. She was not given an option to pay for her additional child (but she didn't ask either).

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
* San Diego / Marriott Marquis & Marina / CLOSED; 1,000 points only per night when closed (no cont'l brekkie option); charge of $10.95 for additional guests over elite +1; 4 i-net terminals (3PC; 1Mac)/printer/fax/free wifi; 07/17 update
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MyTravels
It's in the lounge master threat but wanted to add here too. Upon checkin you are given two lounge cards and they have a paper list they check-off to ensure only two people per room are admitted (and cards aren't passed around). The only exception is children age 2 or under are allowed as a guest w/o a pass.
A drastic policy to deal with a really serious overcrowding problem.

Note that if you are Plat and complain about the crowd to the very nice lady checking names at the front door, she will give you a coupon for breakfast in Marina Kitchen.

The problem with this property is they could cut all MR perks and still fill to capacity on a regular basis with rates that are frequently $100-300 higher than the immediate competition. Demand here is off the charts.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:53 am
Suspended

About time on the CL...It's a zoo up there in the mornings.....surprised fights haven't broken out since no free seats and the food is gone quickly.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: AC 75K, HIlton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Rewards Gold
Just got back from a stay here August 3 - August 6.

Booked a basic room and got "upgraded" to the same room but with a water view. Our resort free provided a daily $10 Starbucks credit. We went to the lounge late Sunday night and they let our family of 4 in no issues, on Monday morning I went solo and they turned away a family of four with a huge stroller but gave them credits for the restaurant downstairs.

Hotel was packed for a conference and the pool was a zoo Saturday / Sunday, but Monday morning was nice and quiet.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: Delta PM 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
A hotel of this capacity needs a much larger lounge (think JW Marriott Marquis Miami), until that happenes I will not give them my patronage. There are plenty of choices in SD to feel like being in a sardine can.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by danola
A hotel of this capacity needs a much larger lounge (think JW Marriott Marquis Miami), until that happenes I will not give them my patronage. There are plenty of choices in SD to feel like being in a sardine can.
I doubt they feel the need to change anything. This hotel sells out regularly and at very high rates.

They also now have the $25 "destination charge" which is to me the bigger reason to avoid this property.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: AC 75K, HIlton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by danola
I was in the South Tower where the lounge is located, but while walking to the gym one morning (which is in the North Tower), I saw a sign saying there was a lounge in the North tower as well...I thought I read it wrong and when came back after my workout it was gone (I think it was related to the Agile conference)
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Easyjet Flight Club
Originally Posted by Kacee
I doubt they feel the need to change anything. This hotel sells out regularly and at very high rates.

They also now have the $25 "destination charge" which is to me the bigger reason to avoid this property.

staying here now. As a data point The destination charge is disappointing and somewhat of a scam. I wouldn’t mind if it offered some value - but it doesn’t offer any value to me or my wife.

The “fitness Classes” sound good but there’s so few it’s not worth it. A complete scam to extract more money from guests.

plastic glasses in the lounge too. Not very classy. No bottles of water
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I've said it before and I'll say it again--the Gaslamp Marriott is a hidden gem. Unless one needs a swimming pool on property, it is *the* best place to stay in San Diego.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:13 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Was checking the rates here for a visit next month and noticed the destination fee is now $30.

"Please note-US30 daily destination fee added to room rate includes US10 Fresh Bites credit/fitness classes/activity rentals and more."
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:43 am

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
Originally Posted by kluau88
Was checking the rates here for a visit next month and noticed the destination fee is now $30.

"Please note-US30 daily destination fee added to room rate includes US10 Fresh Bites credit/fitness classes/activity rentals and more."
What garbage. Stayed here on a weekend w/ a group negotiated rate that had no "destination fee" - but what pure garbage.
Go try a stay at the "Hotel Republic" Autograph Collection property instead. No lounge, but they did do breakfast for 2 in the lobby as then platinum premiere selection.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by fotoflyer88
Go try a stay at the "Hotel Republic" Autograph Collection property instead. No lounge, but they did do breakfast for 2 in the lobby as then platinum premiere selection.
I'm partial to the Springhill Suites San Diego Bayfront. Best limited service property I've ever stayed at. Nice views of the waterfront. Super friendly staff. No destination fee.
fotoflyer88 likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:28 am

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm partial to the Springhill Suites San Diego Bayfront. Best limited service property I've ever stayed at. Nice views of the waterfront. Super friendly staff. No destination fee.
It is on my list!
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Originally Posted by fotoflyer88
What garbage. Stayed here on a weekend w/ a group negotiated rate that had no "destination fee" - but what pure garbage.
the republic has a lounge now. It’s right above the lobby
fotoflyer88 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.