Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Marquis at the Marina, San Diego [Master Thread]

Old May 24, 2016, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
This property is one of the 14 exempt from offering breakfast on the weekend when the lounge is closed. The elite gets 1,000pts/day instead.

Hat tip to LoganFlyer:

"A heads up: parking is now managed by Ace Parking, which means parking charges are no longer eligible for points at this hotel."
Print Wikipost

Marriott Marquis at the Marina, San Diego [Master Thread]

Old May 24, 2016, 7:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
A heads up: parking is now managed by Ace Parking, which means parking charges are no longer eligible for points at this hotel.
Thanks for the info. I created a wiki mentioning it.

Cheers.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Just completing my first stay here. Comparison point is Manchester Grand Hyatt, where I stayed probably 10x last year.

Upgraded at check-in (as a Gold) to an executive suite on the 18th floor. I never got a free suite upgrade at the GH as a Hyatt Diamond. So big win for Marriott there.

Room is pleasant, with a balcony, lots of windows, nice view of the bay toward Coronado and the pools. Very comfortable sectional sofa. Bathroom is a little awkward, but the shower has a water view. Bed was comfortable. Room is at the end of the hallway, so very little noise from the corridor. By comparison, GH has slightly better views and lacks the garish Marriott color schemes (seriously, who thinks a blue and yellow carpet is a good idea?).

Checked out the lounge for happy hour and breakfast. Yes it's a bit small (and definitely not as cool as the Grand Club at GH). But the food options were pretty good. Breakfast this morning offered multiple hot options (eggs, bacon, turkey sausage, potatoes, and oatmeal), which is a big win over GH where there is just a single hot dish.

Internet is smoking fast (nearly 50 mbs up/down). Asked for a 1 pm check-out and that was no problem at all (convention hotel, so I wasn't sure how that would go over). Overall, a super pleasant stay and I will happily shift my 2017 stays here from Hyatt.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 3:07 pm

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Kacee
Just completing my first stay here. Comparison point is Manchester Grand Hyatt, where I stayed probably 10x last year.

Upgraded at check-in (as a Gold) to an executive suite on the 18th floor. I never got a free suite upgrade at the GH as a Hyatt Diamond. So big win for Marriott there.

Room is pleasant, with a balcony, lots of windows, nice view of the bay toward Coronado and the pools. Very comfortable sectional sofa. Bathroom is a little awkward, but the shower has a water view. Bed was comfortable. Room is at the end of the hallway, so very little noise from the corridor. By comparison, GH has slightly better views and lacks the garish Marriott color schemes (seriously, who thinks a blue and yellow carpet is a good idea?).

Checked out the lounge for happy hour and breakfast. Yes it's a bit small (and definitely not as cool as the Grand Club at GH). But the food options were pretty good. Breakfast this morning offered multiple hot options (eggs, bacon, turkey sausage, potatoes, and oatmeal), which is a big win over GH where there is just a single hot dish.

Internet is smoking fast (nearly 50 mbs up/down). Asked for a 1 pm check-out and that was no problem at all (convention hotel, so I wasn't sure how that would go over). Overall, a super pleasant stay and I will happily shift my 2017 stays here from Hyatt.
Nice report. I have stayed there a couple times and always enjoyable property...no issues.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Has anyone had any additional recent experiences at this hotel after getting status via the merger? I stayed at this hotel one time last year, but I had no status with Marriott. I'm returning in May of this year as a Gold thanks to the match from SPG Gold. Curious what the "elite" experience is here.

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:38 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Exceptional, based upon three 4 or 5 night stays although my last was 2012 or so
Old Mar 29, 2017, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by MEMLawGuy
Has anyone had any additional recent experiences at this hotel after getting status via the merger? I stayed at this hotel one time last year, but I had no status with Marriott. I'm returning in May of this year as a Gold thanks to the match from SPG Gold. Curious what the "elite" experience is here.

Thanks in advance!
Varies. If you're there during a convention w/ a gazillion elites or companies booking suites, etc, good luck. Other times might be better.

One thing you will get as a status match from SPG Gold is exec lounge access when the lounge is open.

Cheers.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
One thing you will get as a status match from SPG Gold is exec lounge access when the lounge is open.
But the lounge is an absolute zoo anytime they put food out.

This property has been really good to me with upgrades/room assignments. I'm a big fan.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Varies. If you're there during a convention w/ a gazillion elites or companies booking suites, etc, good luck. Other times might be better.

Cheers.
Going May 11-16, so it doesn't look like there are any "huge" conventions that would impact it. There is the University of Phoenix graduation that Saturday at the CC with estimated attendance of 11,500 -- but I doubt that will be a lot of elites.

I've booked a bay view balcony room (with points) but am hoping to score a suite upgrade. Do they upgrade on rewards stays? (As stated, I'm new to the MR program.)
Old Mar 31, 2017, 11:55 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
Many stays at this location through the years, one of my favorites!
Old Jul 1, 2017, 5:59 pm

Just completed my fifth stay here this year. Upgraded to a deluxe suite on 24th floor. Love the balconies and bay view, as well as the friendly staff. It's become my San Diego go-to location.

With the lounge closed for the weekend, I had breakfast in Marina Kitchen this morning. Full buffet was only $23 and it was excellent. There was an omelette bar with two chefs, plus a third making pancakes to order. Very good value.
fotoflyer88 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
Does anyone know about the $25 amenity fee now being added to reservations? Is it waived for Platinums?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
No idea, but if it's not, this hotel has gone on my do not stay list.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
No idea, but if it's not, this hotel has gone on my do not stay list.
OK - why?

David
Old Jan 14, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Because I don't get what they've added that's worth $25/day. There are plenty of good Marriott hotels in the area that don't charge a daily non-avoidable fee to stay at.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.