Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic [Master Thread]

Old Aug 28, 14, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Just noticed on the Marriott website that the JW Marriott Santo Domingo opened up yesterday.

Category 3. Exec lounge open daily. Apple TV & 47" LCD HDTV in all Guest Rooms

"The hotel is located in the upscale Piantini financial district and located inside the luxurious Blue Mall which that features several fine dining restaurants and high end shops such as Cartier, Carolina Herrera and Louis Vuitton.

Sure to be the city’s newest hotspot, the stunning VERTYGO 101 lounge, the Dominican Republic’s first “floating” restaurant and bar, features a glass floor terrace rising 101 feet above the bustling city street below and offers a full menu of crafted cocktails and innovative food items.

Along with VERTYGO 101, the JW Marriott Santo Domingo also houses the exclusive Winston Grill & Patio, a sophisticated fine dining restaurant overseen by the talented Chef Sergio Delfino that features Latin-American specialties with an Asian influence as well as an extensive international wine and cocktail menu.

The modern and sophisticated 150 rooms and suites will all include the highest speed wireless internet on the market, LCD TV’S, apple TV in every room, embedded TVs in the bathroom mirrors, alarm clocks with iPhone 5 and iPad docking station, Nespresso coffee machine and the signature JW Marriott brand Aromatherapy bathroom amenities. The presidential suite will feature some of the most high-end details in the Caribbean, including an $8,000 Kholer bath tub with light therapy, massage and hydrotherapy to reach the highest level of relaxation after a long day in Santo Domingo."

Cheers.
Old Aug 28, 14, 9:08 pm

Good stopping point if on the way to CUBA.

Last edited by bdschobel; Aug 29, 14 at 9:12 am Reason: removed unnecessary quote
Old Aug 29, 14, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

On Marriott Insiders, there was this report re: the new JW from someone who stays in Santo Domingo quite a bit on business.

"Hi! Their official opening was last Wednesday, and I was there! First night in a standard room, and second one in a junior suite. Being a service oriented property, you'll be pampered on every detail. Impressive Infinity Pool, and Vertygo 101 Bar. There, as usual I got my upgrade when there was availability. Due to the opening all superior rooms where given to VIP people attending the party so no availability for the first night. But I was offered the upgraded room form the second night without any problem."

Cheers.
Old Apr 5, 15, 7:47 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat by proxy, Sephora VIB, I have a low AA FF#...
My mother was dismayed to hear that this hotel is only a category four. Any new reviews? We're going in two weeks.

P.S. Anyone know where I put my passport?
Old Oct 1, 15, 9:21 pm

JW Marriott Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Has anyone stayed at the JW in Santo Domingo? My husband and I are heading there in November and I am wondering if the Executive Lounge is comparable to the Tradewinds lounge in Aruba. We loved the free drinks and snacks/food. It was as close to all-inclusive as we have gotten at a Marriott. Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited by jstilley; Oct 1, 15 at 9:41 pm
Old Oct 1, 15, 9:47 pm
Suspended

there's an existing thread on this property
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...l#post24621756

Originally Posted by jstilley View Post
Has anyone stayed at the JW in Santo Domingo? My husband and I are heading there in November and I am wondering if the Executive Lounge is comparable to the Tradewinds lounge in Aruba. We loved the free drinks and snacks/food. It was as close to all-inclusive as we have gotten at a Marriott. Any advice is appreciated.
Old Oct 2, 15, 12:21 am
Suspended

didn't you ALREADY start a thread on this property?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...l#post21976620

Originally Posted by jr1202sr View Post
Good stopping point if on the way to CUBA.
Old Oct 3, 15, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by leeky View Post
didn't you ALREADY start a thread on this property?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...l#post21976620
Nope. That wasn't me. Have you been to this property?
Old Mar 28, 16, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
BUMP

The other thread doesn't appear to have any info - any one stay at this property? Specifically - exec lounge open on the weekend? PLT upgrades?
Old Mar 29, 16, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ssafro1 View Post
BUMP

The other thread doesn't appear to have any info - any one stay at this property? Specifically - exec lounge open on the weekend?
Hotel website says the executive lounge is "Full week open", which implies to me that it's open daily. The last update in the exec lounge sticky from a year ago said it was open.

Cheers.
Old Mar 29, 16, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
Just booked a quick trip down there next weekend to burn two other cat 1-5 certs (booked a res last week before it moved up to a cat 6). Will report back on the property!
Old Mar 30, 16, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ssafro1 View Post
Just booked a quick trip down there next weekend to burn two other cat 1-5 certs (booked a res last week before it moved up to a cat 6). Will report back on the property!

Look forward to your report! Thx.

Cheers.
Old Apr 10, 16, 5:37 pm

Review from stay 4/8/16 - 4/10/16

Check-in/Check-out:
From my first interaction to my last, the staff was top notch. After meeting several just once, they remembered my name and always asked if I needed anything. For check in, there was a separate elite line (although nobody else was checking in at 10pm…). It was very efficient. Was thanked for my loyalty, offered the standard amenity and taken up to my room. For check out, I asked for a later check out (2pm) due to a late afternoon flight and it was granted without hesitation. He even said I could even have it until 5pm if I needed it.

Room/Upgrade:
As a PP staying two nights, I was given an upgrade to a corner junior suite. The front desk agent said current occupancy was around 60% but usually much higher during the week. The property itself is not huge, only occupying 5 floors of a tower and has only 150 rooms. The room was immaculate and inviting. Very modern. And the bathroom was beautiful. White marble, separate tub/rainfall shower and glass enclosed toilet area. Even a TV in the mirror. Turndown service came like clockwork each night.

Overall Property:
Very impressive property IMO. The hotel is located above a very nice mall with several fancy shops, restaurants and a movie theater. I was told the area is one of the safest in the city. However, one drawback is that it is not near the old city/most touristy stops. Lobby located on the 13th Floor. Lobby level has lobby bar, restaurant, rooftop pool deck, outdoor covered lounge area and access to fitness center. The lobby space is bright and beautiful. A lot of woods and stone. Pool was perfect and there were a handful of chairs on a wood pool deck. Fitness center was equipped with brand new machinery. 3 treadmills, 3 ellipticals, a stationary bike, several weight machines and free weights.

Concierge Lounge:
The concierge lounge was located on the 20th floor and was a well-designed space. Open 24hrs/7 days for water/soda. Several TVs, work and seating spaces and a small business center with computers/printers as well. Food (see times below) was good, service was again top notch. Concierge up there was great as well with questions/recommendations. Food service times:
Breakfast: 6AM – 10AM
Light Lunch: 12PM – 2PM
Appetizers/Cheese: 6PM – 7PM
Light Dinner: 7PM – 9PM
Desserts: 9PM – 10PM

Final Thoughts
10/10. This JW knocks it out of the park in terms of quality property and service. Would definitely stay here again. My only complaint is its no longer a cat 5!
Old Apr 11, 16, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the trip report. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Nov 7, 16, 12:23 pm

Great report ssafro1. Thank you.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: