Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ritz-Carlton Cancun (Mexico) [Master Thread]

Ritz-Carlton Cancun (Mexico) [Master Thread]

Old Jun 4, 2021, 7:26 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
A few notes/observations:

The local health authorities are allowing the hotel to operate at 70% capacity and they fully booked up to that level. It doesn't feel too crowded anywhere but certainly not empty either.

Masks are required indoors and the policy is pretty rigorously enforced, particularly in the lobby and at breakfast.

Water shoes are a must if you want to swim on the beach. As you can see in my previous post, the Sargassum is a real problem and it's not fun to walk over it with bare feet.

Club Room is closed because of COVID. It's just open common space accessible to all guests now. It looks like they are still marketing "club level" rooms with "club access" on the website. This is a total waste of money right now.

COVID antigen testing is free for up to 4 guests per room and a very easy/organized process. Just be sure to sign up for a timeslot as soon as you check in. You get your results by email 20 minutes later. They also offer PCR tests for a fee.

Dinners at Fantino and the Club Grille were phenomenal. We were at the St Regis Maldives 6 weeks ago and both of these meals stand up to that property. Overall we are extremely impressed with the quality of the food and the prices are reasonable (especially in comparison to the Maldives).

​​​​​
bizum likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Any recent updates on the sargassum? Club lounge open? Read a recent review that the hotel is under major renovation. Is that true?
Old Oct 4, 2021, 1:47 am

Programs: Krisflyer, hyatt GP
Going to Cancun using cat 6 travel packages - 7 nights, couple with 4 months old baby. First time traveling with baby.

debating between ritz carlton Cancun or Papaya Playa Project, Design Hotel, Tulum.
never been to CUN before.

From what i read, service and food wise Ritz Carlton wins. Someone mentioned Ritz Carlton restaurant is on par with St Regis Maldives. We loved the restaurant at St Regis Maldives.

Room and property wise, Papaya Playa project looks better? The room is kinda like private villa n has private pool?

Or should we do 7 nights in Papaya Playa Tulum and 2 nights in Ritz Carlton Cancun?
Old Feb 1, 2022, 9:11 am

Bidu hope you had a great trip!
We're planning a getaway for march with our toddler - I'm trying to decide between booking a comparable bfast rate as Titanium vs FHR rate. FHR has the additional $250 resort credit (in addition to the usual FHR benefits, $200 benefit, etc), wondering what kind of upgrades are possible with FHR (doesn't seem like Elites get anything, plus I don't care much for the latest bonvoy promo).
atojbk likes this.

Last edited by bizum; Feb 1, 2022 at 11:43 am Reason: normal fhr benefits plus $200
Old Apr 3, 2022, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by bizum
Bidu hope you had a great trip!
We're planning a getaway for march with our toddler - I'm trying to decide between booking a comparable bfast rate as Titanium vs FHR rate. FHR has the additional $250 resort credit (in addition to the usual FHR benefits, $200 benefit, etc), wondering what kind of upgrades are possible with FHR (doesn't seem like Elites get anything, plus I don't care much for the latest bonvoy promo).
I took the chance with the FHR rate - fd said there were no available suites at checkin (I didn't see any available on the app as well). FHR included $100 dining plus $250 resort credit, you could just use the whole amount towards dining. Bfast buffet was covered by FHR (did not ask if we could use it for a la carte), total was $80 for two. Hotel was at 60% according to staff that I talked to and felt about that - though it might be hard to find two adjacent pool chairs after 12pm (pic was taken around 10am). Not sure if this is typical for March but it was windy every single day, so it didn't feel that warm since temp was under 80F on most days. Beach was ok, when tide was low the sargassum was quite prevalent (can't see it in the pic since it was high tide) and they had workers raking the beach - a bit distracting since they had one worker running a mini tractor up and down the shore. Some vendors milling around but never a bother. Water was very choppy with the wind factor, the RC lifeguards were quite vigilant and would whistle at guests that were venturing into rougher areas. Didn't try Fontina or Club Grill, sushi at D Lounge was decent. Pool fare was good and reasonably priced. Several other toddlers and younger kids especially around the elevated areas of the pools. Theres a sprawling outdoor mall (La Isla) thats a 5 min taxi ride away if you need to shop for anything. Several other restaurants on the main road that were 10-20 min walking distance. Taxi to La Isla was about 170p (you could pay ~200p for the return). In terms of service/food, RC Cancun blows W Punta Mita out of the water - W did have the nicer beach and suite availability at lower prices.
Let me know if you have questions!

PS heard some construction on upper levels during the day but noise was minor

Last edited by bizum; Apr 3, 2022 at 4:52 pm
Old Apr 19, 2022, 7:03 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Hi! I am staying at this resort next week and have a couple of questions. This is our first time in Mexico:

1. What is the best way to get from the Cancun Airport to the resort?
2. After our stay here, we are going to a different resort down the street. What's the best way to get down there?
3. I'm a Marriott Gold. Are there any upgrades available? We are in the Ocean View Suite
4. Any other info we should know?

Thank you in advance!
Old Apr 19, 2022, 7:40 pm

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Crossinator
Hi! I am staying at this resort next week and have a couple of questions. This is our first time in Mexico:

1. What is the best way to get from the Cancun Airport to the resort?
2. After our stay here, we are going to a different resort down the street. What's the best way to get down there?
3. I'm a Marriott Gold. Are there any upgrades available? We are in the Ocean View Suite
4. Any other info we should know?

Thank you in advance!
1. USA Transfers works great. I can warmly recommend them for the airport transfer
2. Taxi. If down the street should not be more than 100 pesos
Crossinator likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 7:12 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
3. Very doubtful. Suite upgrades isn't part of the Gold elite benefits and you already have a suite. And Club access upgrades is not part of any elite upgrade benefit. The next upgrade would be to a full Oceanfront suite. And even the top level elites probably won't get those as an upgrade.
But it doesn't hurt to ask when you check-in.
Crossinator likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 9:48 am

Programs: MAR Lifetime Platinum, Delta Plat., IHG Spire Amb., Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Is club lounge open?
Old Apr 28, 2022, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Milhous Gloriosus
Is club lounge open?
Yes, I've been in touch with the Club Lounge concierge regarding our upcoming stay.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 4:15 pm

Programs: MAR Lifetime Platinum, Delta Plat., IHG Spire Amb., Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Have you got his/her email? TIA
Old May 5, 2022, 12:30 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Just stayed here for a few days. Here are my thoughts:

Originally Posted by hhoope01
3. Very doubtful. Suite upgrades isn't part of the Gold elite benefits and you already have a suite. And Club access upgrades is not part of any elite upgrade benefit. The next upgrade would be to a full Oceanfront suite. And even the top level elites probably won't get those as an upgrade.
I booked the cheapest room (Ocean View Suite), and during check-in, they upgraded me to the Ocean Front Suite. They put us on the 7th floor which also has the bigger balconies! I didn't even ask for an upgrade.
Service was amazing, everyone working there was attentive. Pool food and drink prices were surprisingly reasonable. Fantino dinner was absolutely amazing (except for the Filet Mignon). Breakfast buffet for $40 USD per person was great (bottomless free alcohol too).
Rooms are definitely outdated but they get the job done (just feels old school). My worst gripe was the wifi; slow wifi irks me so much when I have to work.
Hotel felt like 30% capacity. The sargassum was absolutely ridiculous so did not go into ocean.

Would I come back? Probably not. Memorable stay though
chrisny2 likes this.
Old May 6, 2022, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Milhous Gloriosus
Have you got his/her email? TIA
Sorry for the delay

Here are his details:Frank Franco

Club Concierge

The Ritz-Carlton, Cancun

Retorno del Rey No. 36, Zona Hotelera
Cancun, Quintana Roo
Tel: (52) 998 881 0808 Ext. 5213

[email protected]
Old May 25, 2022, 11:18 pm

Hello, can anyone please comment on the food options typically available throughout the day and evening in the Club Lounge? Thank you!
Old Jul 31, 2022, 3:29 am

Trying to book a 4-night or 5-night stay here and the hotel is not bookable after September 2022. Any idea what's up?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.