Search

Protea & African Pride hotels

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Protea Fire&Ice! Menlyn opened today.

http://news.marriott.com/2015/03/pro...he-public.html

"The hotel sets a new standard for stylish hospitality in Tshwane with its seamless indoor/outdoor social spaces and its on-trend interior tone. But the hotel’s real draw card will be the wide variety of event offerings, tailor-made for the Pretoria audience.

Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Menlyn’s General Manager Johan Cronje says the hotel is conveniently situated next to the Menlyn Park shopping mall and close to the N1, making it an obvious place for people to gather.

Satterfield said, “Pretoria is a young, exciting city that simply doesn’t get its dues. Protea Hotels recognised that there is a lively set of young-at-heart, ambitious movers and shakers in Pretoria whose choices for playing hard after working hard are pretty limited. Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Menlyn fills a gap we believe our GUESTS have been waiting for for years.”

Cheers.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routičres, PCR
I can see myself using Protea hotels more now that they are an active part of MR.

I had previously stayed at Protea hotels in Sea Point, Stellenbosch, Mossel Bay and Mid-Rand, amongst others. With Hilton gold and IHG platinum status, I've recently been mixing independent hotels and B&Bs with Hilton/DoubleTree (complimentary breakfast) and InterContinental/Holiday Inn (sometimes complimentary breakfast).

Given that over the years, IHG coverage in SA has declined and Hilton's is hardly great, I'm thinking that Protea's range is likely to be more useful, even as a lowly MR silver.

Originally Posted by alfahund
I've just completed a stay at the Balalaika Protea Hotel in Sandton ....

With my platinum status ... They have free Internet everywhere and free breakfast.
Were the free internet and free breakfast a result of your platinum status? The Balalaika looks an interesting change.

Originally Posted by Shareholder
This property takes full payment at check-in for the rooms and not a hold as is the experience at every other hotel I've ever stayed at.
Sadly, this happens at some other hotels. I'm thinking of the City Lodge group who take full payment at the time of reservation, even on flexible cancelable rates, one reason I'm thinking of avoiding them in future. They even have their own Courtyard-branded hotels, which seem to have nothing to do with Marriott. https://clhg.com/hotel-rates/courtyard
Old Jun 8, 2015, 2:13 pm
Suspended

How many points do you earn staying at a Protea hotel?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 10:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
How many points do you earn staying at a Protea hotel?
10pts/$ spend on room rate only.

Cheers.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 12:37 pm

Programs: LH HON, Marriott Platinum, ...
Originally Posted by Roger
Were the free internet and free breakfast a result of your platinum status? The Balalaika looks an interesting change.
That's what they told me at checkin... I will be there in 3 weeks again, and will check.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

Cheers.
Thanks. Since you only get 1 mile/$ spend on the room rate, I guess I will switch earnings to points and then convert.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Just an update on the Prokard program. I am told that it will continue through to October 2016 at which time it will be concluded and the full set of hotel brands will be integrated into the Marriott Rewards program, offering the standard range of MR benefits. At present one can earn either ProRands or MR points for stays but not both..unclear if nights will count towards MR status though. Will be back in South Africa in September and use the balance of my Prokard BOGOs form last year's membership. Will likely renew for the final year of the program as it certainly pays for itself after using one of the free nights, and I'm pretty sure I'll be back in SAfrica at some point during 2016
Old Aug 12, 2015, 1:24 pm
TPP

Programs: DL, US, AA
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Just an update on the Prokard program. I am told that it will continue through to October 2016 at which time it will be concluded and the full set of hotel brands will be integrated into the Marriott Rewards program, offering the standard range of MR benefits. At present one can earn either ProRands or MR points for stays but not both..unclear if nights will count towards MR status though. Will be back in South Africa in September and use the balance of my Prokard BOGOs form last year's membership. Will likely renew for the final year of the program as it certainly pays for itself after using one of the free nights, and I'm pretty sure I'll be back in SAfrica at some point during 2016
Thanks for the update. I'm planning my stays in a couple of Protea properties around Walvis Bay and Swakopmund Namibia in the last two weeks of August. I purchased my gold Prokard today for 1500R (~$120 US)and plan to use the BOGO vouchers as much as possible. I'm curious if I can do back to back 2 night bookings at the same property,each using a BOGO voucher. I'll post an update on my return. The Prokard is an amazing immediate value if it works as advertised.

I also hope to earn some MR points but that is a little fuzzy. The Protea properties in Namibia have a disclaimer on the Marriott website that states that no rewards are offered. We'll see. Perhaps my Marriott Gold status will yield an upgrade as well?
Old Aug 14, 2015, 6:57 am

I used 2 BOGOs for a 4night stay at Protea Mowbray and it was okay. The lady upgraded me for the first 2 nights and I have to move to a different room on my last 2 nights.

I wish they have a way to convert Prokard rands to MR points.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 12:48 pm

Just tried to apply for Prokard Gold but I always get an error from the website : Login Details Error: INVALID MEMBERSHIP NUMBER/NAME ID

Any ideas ?
Old Oct 28, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: OZ *G, AB Sapphire
Earning rate ?

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

Cheers.
On the Protea website I read the following:

What are Prokard Rands?

- Prokard Rands are the rewards you earn every time you stay at one of our Protea Hotels or African Pride Hotels in South Africa. Prokard Rands are just like cash – 1 Prokard Rands = R1, and they can really add up to some great savings on the cost of your hotel bill.

How do I earn Prokard Rands?

- You can earn Prokard Rands whenever you stay at one of our hotels in South Africa and, depending on your membership, you can earn up to 10% of your accommodation spend back in Prokard Rands.
- Whenever you stay at one of our hotels in South Africa, you earn a percentage of your nett accommodation spend back in Prokard Rands
- Bronze Prokard members earn 2.5% of their nett accommodation spend back in Prokard Rands
- Silver Prokard members earn 5% of their nett accommodation spend back in Prokard Rands
- Gold Prokard members earn 10% of their nett accommodation spend back in Prokard Rands
- You earn Prokard Rands whether you are staying for business or leisure and you earn even when you are spending them
Source: http://www.proteahotels.com/Pages/fr...questions.aspx

So, when you're gold, you only get 10% of your room rate back in points (rate in ZAR), and not 10 points/$ ! Or am I reading this wrong?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Titanium, National Car Exec Elite
Review for Protea Fire & Ice, Melrose Arch

Getting to the hotel:

Taxi/shuttle - The hotel’s website estimates a shuttle from the airport at R590, and a taxi at R700, both one way.

Uber - I was tempted to use Uber during my stay, but cursory research suggested there is quite a bit of tension between taxi drivers and Uber, sometimes rising to the level of violence. I decided to forgo Uber. Plus, I didn’t want to purchase a SIM card, which meant I couldn’t make or receive calls to coordinate pickups.

Gautrain - I opted for Johannesburg's high-speed rail service. Nothing but positive things to report: the train ran on time, with a frequent schedule; was clean and comfortable; “arriving/departing” times were listed on overhead digital signs on the platform. Onboard there were clear announcements about the upcoming stations, as well as a scrolling LED. Very easy to use.

Once you enter the Arrivals Hall, there are clear signs pointing you up the escalator to the Gautrain station (bear to the right once you enter Arrivals). Once you enter the station, there are plenty of ticket machines, plus there is a staffed booth. Instructions on the kiosk screens are clear. You’ll need to purchase a Gold card for R20, then load the amount for the station you’re traveling to. They accept Mastercard, Visa, Debit. No Amex.

There are 3 stops to reach Sandton, which is the best option to get to Fire & Ice. It takes approx. 15 minutes, and the cost is R153, approximately US$10.

To reach the Fire & Ice once at Sandton, you have a couple of options:

- You can exit at Sandton and take a taxi to the hotel. I believe you can coordinate pickup by calling the hotel ahead of time. I took a taxi from the hotel to Sandton when I left, and the front desk arranged it and offered to add it to my room charge. At the time I booked the taxi, they asked if I wanted to be “fetched”, so they’re happy to coordinate round-trips. The charge was R220 one-way; not sure what the round-trip price is.

- For the adventurous, you can take another train one stop to Rosebush, and from there take a bus that drops you off at High St. in Melrose Arch. The cost is R1. After exiting the airport train at Sandton, go up the escalator and turn right for the Red Line South toward Park. Again, only for the adventurous, and only during daylight hours.

To reach the hotel from the bus, get off at the High St stop and walk all the way to the end of High St and take a left. You’ll see signs as you get near the hotel. You’ll walk through the shopping district.

At the hotel:

The staff was friendly and attentive, at check-in and all other times. The check-in clerk mentioned that although Plats get free breakfast in the U.S. (my status and location), they haven’t implemented that benefit yet, so they suggested the hotel buffet from 6:30 am to 11 am.

I took the points as the arrival gift.

There was bottled water provided in the room, and a coffee/tea stand. The water is purified and provided in sanitized bottles with grolsch caps.

The rate during my stay was very affordable. Internet was free and unlimited (@phlwookie mentioned it was capped during their stay).

Around the hotel:

The hotel is located in the Melrose Arch district. There are plenty of eating establishments nearby. They do a bustling business in the evening. There are a couple of cafes with good coffee and outdoor seating. Good for people watching.

There is a drugstore, Clicks, at the mall where I picked up some snacks and drinks.

This isn’t a US-style, enclosed mall, by the way. It's more like a pedestrian zone, although there were some interior stores on different levels of some of the buildings.

The only downside is the store hours, which mirror a typical U.S. mall: usually 9 am to about 9pm on the weekdays, and closing at 6 pm on the weekends.

However, there were a few cafes on High St. and in a square near High St. that were open early and open late, so you could stop in for a beverage or bite to eat at most any reasonable time.

Overall, everything was very affordable and convenient. I was there during a weekend in January and there was a lot of activity and foot traffic.

I enjoyed this property and would stay there again.

Last edited by troydwhite; Feb 12, 2016 at 6:43 pm Reason: Stayed at Fire & Ice, not African Pride
Old Feb 2, 2016, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routičres, PCR
Thanks for the useful report. I'd complement the Uber info:
Originally Posted by troydwhite
Uber - I was tempted to use Uber during my stay, but cursory research suggested there is quite a bit of tension between taxi drivers and Uber, sometimes rising to the level of violence.
Yes, regular taxi drivers don't like what they see as unfair competition, e.g. in London and Paris. But violence? Very rare and not against passengers.
I decided to forgo Uber. Plus, I didn’t want to purchase a SIM card, which meant I couldn’t make or receive calls to coordinate pickups.
Uber worked splendidly for me in Cape Town. I used wifi and my UK cellphone with no problem. I'm confident that that would also apply in Sandton/Rosebank.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phlwookie
Just wanted to briefly add a recent experience to this thread. I stayed for several nights over the last week in the African Pride Melrose Arch Protea hotel in Johannesburg
Originally Posted by troydwhite
To update @phlwookie's review:

There are 3 stops to reach Sandton, which is the best option to get to Fire & Ice. It takes approx. 15 minutes, and the cost is R153, approximately US$10.

To reach the Fire & Ice once at Sandton, you have a couple of options:
troydwhite, I'm totally confused. You first wrote that you're updating phlwookie's review, but phlwookie was revieing the Melrose Arch Protea hotel. But you keep wiriting about how to get to the Fire & Ice? So which hotel were you reviewing here???
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Titanium, National Car Exec Elite
Originally Posted by sdsearch
troydwhite, I'm totally confused. You first wrote that you're updating phlwookie's review, but phlwookie was revieing the Melrose Arch Protea hotel. But you keep wiriting about how to get to the Fire & Ice? So which hotel were you reviewing here???
Oops! I was at the Fire & Ice!

I updated my original post, sorry for the confusion!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.