Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in and around Irvine, CA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in and around Irvine, CA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Does the Irvine Marriott offer any discounts/comps to Plats for parking? (There doesn't seem to be any free overnight street parking nearby, the way there is with the Marriott Suites Anaheim/Garden Grove.)
No discounts in parking are offered to platinum guests. I was allowed to leave my car with the valet for free for an hour when I went inside to check in and visit the M Club for the evening offerings before dropping my rental car off at SNA.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Curious how the Costa Mesa Marriott (rooms looking very dated) compares to the Renaissance Newport Beach (looks much nicer for an extra $7/night), for anyone who has stayed at both. Think the latter is formerly the Duke. Lack of a lounge no biggie. Seems like the Ren renovations are all done.

AC Irvine also an option, but for the same price, not seeing much reason to do limited service (even though I like ACs).
Old Sep 21, 2018, 11:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Costa Mesa Marriott is basically all-suites (similar to Anaheim Marriott Suites). Unrenovated, yes, but if you want that apartment style feel without playing the upgrade roulette wheel... You may also want to consider the Tribute Portfolio property (adjacent to Costa Mesa Marriott)
Old Sep 22, 2018, 5:21 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
I’ve had several decent experiences at the Costa Mesa Westin. The last time I was there, my room looked like it was getting close to needing a reno, however. I’ll be staying there this week and would be happy to report back.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by stvr
Costa Mesa Marriott is basically all-suites (similar to Anaheim Marriott Suites). Unrenovated, yes, but if you want that apartment style feel without playing the upgrade roulette wheel... You may also want to consider the Tribute Portfolio property (adjacent to Costa Mesa Marriott)
That's my thinking - I may just do the AC if the Marriott Irvine doesn't drop in price. 3 day stay for me and that CM Marriott room frankly looks a bit depressing.

I have done the Avenue of the Arts next door - interesting property, but another one in sore need of a renovation.

Originally Posted by acrophobia
I’ve had several decent experiences at the Costa Mesa Westin. The last time I was there, my room looked like it was getting close to needing a reno, however. I’ll be staying there this week and would be happy to report back.
Westin would be my preference 10 days out of 10, but the price was way above my reimbursable amount.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 11:28 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I am a resident of Newport Beach. This is just a review of the full service options in the Newport/Costa Mesa/Irvine vicinity.

The nicest hotel in the Irvine vicinity probably is the Westin South Coast, which completed a room refresh in 2005. The nearby Avenue of the Arts Hotel (Tribute Portfolio) recently completed an $18 million refresh and probably is the second nicest in the vicinity, but many rooms and suites still feel dated; that hotel is building a new 15 story tower which will add a lot of very modern Deco style rooms to the area.

After that, it’s all about cost-benefit and priorities. The Marriott Newport Beach in Fashion Island is higher demand due to its convenience to that mall, so its rates are almost always higher than that of the less convenient Marriott Newport Bayview—despite the Bayview having slightly larger rooms and perhaps being the slightly nicer property. The Irvine Marriott is a solid choice and has a good location.

The Ritz Carlton and Marriott Newport Coast Villas are unquestionably the nicest Marriott portfolio properties in OC, followed by the Lido House (Autograph Collection) on the Newport harbor and the Laguna Cliffs Marriott in Dana Point. But all of those are coastal and not as interior or as convenient to South Coast Plaza or John Wayne Airport as the other hotels mentioned.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 3:54 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
I have stayed at the Westin many times and like it, though it seems like a business hotel to me. We tried Hotel Arts in June and thought the hotel had more charm and personality, although we weren’t blown away by the service (we had to argue about the 4 pm checkout )

bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just remember at the AOTA the cramped bathroom w/the shower curtain...did not find that a great experience.
bhrubin and nexus7556 like this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 9:13 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I just remember at the AOTA the cramped bathroom w/the shower curtain...did not find that a great experience.

Agreed - that was the worst room feature.

The night we stayed there though our sons came by for a toast and our outside patio was a much nicer place to sit than even a suite at the Westin (which never was great at Elite recognition)
Old Sep 30, 2021, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Bump....trying to use 2 x 35k certs in the general area and of course trying to pick the best hotel. We (2 adults...no kids) are coming in from PS and want to visit with friends in the area and do some shopping before continuing on to the Oceana LXR in Santa Monica.

Based on what I have found it looks like I have the following options that fit the bill and I'm trying to determine best in quality and service. (Nice pool area would be great but not a must.) We will have a car so we can do anywhere basically.

Marriott Irvine Spectrum
Marriott Newport Beach Bay View
Renaissance Newport Beach
Avenue of the Arts Costa Mesa Tribute Collection
CY Irvine Spectrum
Renaissance ClubSport Aliso Viejo Laguna Beach

Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa (but it's evidently under construction so likely ruled out)

Any options I have forgotten?

We have always stayed in Dana Point or Laguna but I really want to use my 35k certs before they expire. Also have plenty of SNAs but as we all know we can't bank on those clearing.

Last edited by christianj; Sep 30, 2021 at 11:36 am
Old Sep 30, 2021, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
If the Westin South Coast qualifies, I'd do that one. Room was nice, pool was Really nice for those who like deeper pools and also being located outside on the 2nd floor. AoTA is decent and a bit more chic. Either option will put you closer to South Coast Plaza which has great shopping. If you prefer Fashion Island, I'd say just go with the Marriott Fashion island to be close to the shopping. Best hotel in that area anyways is the Hyatt Regency as it close to the shopping AND the beach. I say this as someone who lived in Newport Beach for 3 years so I know the area really well.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 4:43 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by El_Chiflero
If the Westin South Coast qualifies, I'd do that one. Room was nice, pool was Really nice for those who like deeper pools and also being located outside on the 2nd floor. AoTA is decent and a bit more chic. Either option will put you closer to South Coast Plaza which has great shopping. If you prefer Fashion Island, I'd say just go with the Marriott Fashion island to be close to the shopping. Best hotel in that area anyways is the Hyatt Regency as it close to the shopping AND the beach. I say this as someone who lived in Newport Beach for 3 years so I know the area really well.
A second vote for Westin South Coast Plaza. It’s the only place I’ll stay in SoCal.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
anteater and El_Chiflero The Westin is sadly not a hotel that qualifies for the 35k certs thanks to Marriotts continued devaluations of them……hence my reason for listing the hotel options that do.
anteater likes this.

Last edited by christianj; Sep 30, 2021 at 5:33 pm
Old Sep 30, 2021, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, National Exec Elite, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by christianj
Bump....trying to use 2 x 35k certs in the general area and of course trying to pick the best hotel.
Marriott Irvine Spectrum would be a decent choice. The pool is very good for a Marriott in an office park -- not ar all resort grade, but a pleasant enough outdoor space. M Club lounge is open. It's walkable to Irvine Spectrum Center. The hotel is relatively new, so the rooms and the public areas are in generally good shape. The valet parking is a big downside in my opinion, though -- expensive and inconvenient. My SNA's have never cleared at this property/
El_Chiflero and christianj like this.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 6:45 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by wm47
Marriott Irvine Spectrum would be a decent choice
Based on several stays here ~3 years ago, I concur with this recommendation. Nice lounge, nice gym, good rooms, and I got upgraded rooms on several stays (without using SNAs). I'm not sure if this is still the case, or if you care, but there was a great selection of Uber Eats restaurants available. Access to the airport is very convenient...it's a 10 minute ride.
christianj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.