Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 15, 2019, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Club 91 email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by curl

here now. no regrets! We are on 14th floor and don’t hear a thing. Out by the pool, you can hear the buzzing of saws (?) but more of a background noise. We slept until 9am today... nothing. Staff and service are lovely. They are putting carpet down on 12 right now and when we went to floor 5 to use the spa, there was a big closed off section (and noise). But no noise in the spa, it’s lovely. It will really depend on where your room is.
Glad to hear it is working out for you.
Yes, maybe 8 7 floors above the construction is sufficient.

You say that you slept until 9 a.m. There shouldn't be any construction before 9 a.m. (There was when I was there, but again, 9 a.m. is the stated time that the noise starts.)

The spa is in a different structure from the remainder of the resort. I recall walking outside, down a covered walkway, and into another building entrance, to access the spa.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jerry305
Glad to hear it is working out for you.
Yes, maybe 8 7 floors above the construction is sufficient.

You say that you slept until 9 a.m. There shouldn't be any construction before 9 a.m. (There was when I was there, but again, 9 a.m. is the stated time that the noise starts.)

The spa is in a different structure from the remainder of the resort. I recall walking outside, down a covered walkway, and into another building entrance, to access the spa.
the current route to the spa is odd - the main entrance (4th floor) is closed due to construction so they have you literally walk across the roof by the tennis courts on floor 5. Same building but over the lobby area.

We we haven’t heard ANY noise on this floor, other than someone filing their ice bucket in the hall. We were advised that the side of the hotel toward the Marriott was quieter now, though I think the view is better on the other side. (Looking at the main JW pools)

My reco, book the club floor (12th or 14th floors) to ensure you are less likely to get noise. South/southeast facing feels like it would help as well.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G

here now. no regrets! We are on 14th floor and don’t hear a thing. Out by the pool, you can hear the buzzing of saws (?) but more of a background noise. We slept until 9am today... nothing. Staff and service are lovely. They are putting carpet down on 12 right now and when we went to floor 5 to use the spa, there was a big closed off section (and noise). But no noise in the spa, it’s lovely. It will really depend on where your room is.
Trigger pulled! I can't say no to a 270USD/night incl tax rate for a Club91 room incl 50USD in resort credit per day... 220USD for basically all our F&B needs for the week! Especially if what reported above holds true, that it's not enforced on a per-night basis but that you're just credited the full amount for the whole stay.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 3:31 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Trigger pulled! I can't say no to a 270USD/night incl tax rate for a Club91 room incl 50USD in resort credit per day... 220USD for basically all our F&B needs for the week! Especially if what reported above holds true, that it's not enforced on a per-night basis but that you're just credited the full amount for the whole stay.
@Smiley90 we asked about the credit (in the lounge) and they said it would apply for the day. You could spend it all in one day or a little each day. The food and beverage in Club 91 is great - breakfast has hot buffet (eggs, meat, oatmeal, potatoes), cold items and eggs/omelettes to order. Lunch typically has sandwiches as well as meat, rice, veggies and soup. (Plus salads, crudités and desserts) Finally dinner, different options every night but we’ve been happy with it! Drinks - soft drinks, espresso/coffee, and water all day. Mimosas and bloodies at breakfast, beer at lunch and anything you want mixed from 6-10pm. The staff goes above and beyond to make everyone happy. The downside is that occasionally they seemed overwhelmed when it got busy (tables not cleared fast enough or waiting for food to be refreshed) but we’ve been very happy with our stay!

Old Apr 6, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@Smiley90 we asked about the credit (in the lounge) and they said it would apply for the day. You could spend it all in one day or a little each day. The food and beverage in Club 91 is great - breakfast has hot buffet (eggs, meat, oatmeal, potatoes), cold items and eggs/omelettes to order. Lunch typically has sandwiches as well as meat, rice, veggies and soup. (Plus salads, crudités and desserts) Finally dinner, different options every night but we’ve been happy with it! Drinks - soft drinks, espresso/coffee, and water all day. Mimosas and bloodies at breakfast, beer at lunch and anything you want mixed from 6-10pm. The staff goes above and beyond to make everyone happy. The downside is that occasionally they seemed overwhelmed when it got busy (tables not cleared fast enough or waiting for food to be refreshed) but we’ve been very happy with our stay!

awesome, thanks for the confirmation! We'll probably go out out a few days anyway, which means we'll have plenty of credit available for dinner and/or spa

The only concern I have now is the noise at the pool-area, but i'm hoping it'll be fine.

The other thing I was wondering - Given that we have a club91 room booked, is there a chance we get upgraded to a club suite if available upon arrival (as Plat)? I never know what the rules for "Resorts" are, but at least this one isn't a vacation club so...

(that and I hope that we can turn the welcome amenity into full breakfast, because continental vs lounge is really a lame choice)
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:18 am

@Smiley90 we’re getting the same price quote for a room on the Club91 floor but our rate does not include access to the Club91 lounge. Does your rate include lounge access?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:23 am

Has anyone stayed at the JW cancun recently and had success with requesting and receiving upgrades? If so, what were you upgraded from and to, upgraded to the best available or just the next level up?

Also, any reviews on the “continental breakfast” or snack and drink platinum benefits?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by sesflyerday
Has anyone stayed at the JW cancun recently and had success with requesting and receiving upgrades? If so, what were you upgraded from and to, upgraded to the best available or just the next level up?

Also, any reviews on the “continental breakfast” or snack and drink platinum benefits?
The benefit is not a "continental" breakfast. Per Marriott Bonvoy's terms and conditions, it is breakfast in the restaurant, if you choose it at the time of check-in.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@Smiley90 we’re getting the same price quote for a room on the Club91 floor but our rate does not include access to the Club91 lounge. Does your rate include lounge access?

I'm currently talking to the concierge, so I strongly hope it does haha. I believe all Club91 level rooms include Club91 access, even if not specifically spelled out in the rate details. (And when I check my confirmation, I can upgrade to a Club91 suite for much less than the daily Club91-access fee). I've just shot off another e-mail to the concierge just to clarify though and I'll let you know once I get a response.

Secondly - Also asked the concierge if upgrades to Club91 suites are available for Platinum, will also let you know as soon as I hear back.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Secondly - Also asked the concierge if upgrades to Club91 suites are available for Platinum, will also let you know as soon as I hear back.
The terms and conditions of Marriott Bonvoy are silent on upgrades to rooms on the floors of non-complimentary club lounges. At Ritz-Carlton, you are entitled to an upgrade to the club lounge floor but you aren't entitled to club lounge access. The same should apply at non-Ritz-Carlton properties with proprietary club lounges.

Regardless, typically, a hotel concierge does not handle room upgrades. That's generally the responsibility of the operations manager, rooms director, or front office manager.

Of course, this being Mexico, a $50 tip can probably get you a lot of things.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
The terms and conditions of Marriott Bonvoy are silent on upgrades to rooms on the floors of non-complimentary club lounges. At Ritz-Carlton, you are entitled to an upgrade to the club lounge floor but you aren't entitled to club lounge access. The same should apply at non-Ritz-Carlton properties with proprietary club lounges.

Regardless, typically, a hotel concierge does not handle room upgrades. That's generally the responsibility of the operations manager, rooms director, or front office manager.

Of course, this being Mexico, a $50 tip can probably get you a lot of things.
If I didn't already book a club room I wouldn't expect a club suite upgrade - but given that we booked a Club91 room, I don't see how an upgrade to a Club91 suite is out of the question since its also just a room upgrade. I'm not asking to be upgraded in advance, just to see what'll be possible once we get there, I figured the concierge might know the hotel's policy on that
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:32 pm
Suspended

If I didn't already book a club room I wouldn't expect a club suite upgrade - but given that we booked a Club91 room, I don't see how an upgrade to a Club91 suite is out of the question since its also just a room upgrade. I'm not asking to be upgraded in advance, just to see what'll be possible once we get there, I figured the concierge might know the hotel's policy on that
But what if there is a better suite? I would like to think the hotel's best suites come with access to its non-complimentary club lounge, but that may not be the case. I wouldn't want to limit myself, unless only inferior suites were available.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
But what if there is a better suite? I would like to think the hotel's best suites come with access to its non-complimentary club lounge, but that may not be the case. I wouldn't want to limit myself, unless only inferior suites were available.
that is true - but I rather not get upgraded if it means losing club access

And a quick look says you are right - there are non-club level suites that don't include club access.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:51 pm
Suspended

that is true - but I rather not get upgraded if it means losing club access

And a quick look says you are right - there are non-club level suites that don't include club access.
Personally, I'd rather have the best suite on the highest floor than whatever suite on the actual floor of the lounge is available. But regardless, you should still have access to the lounge if you get a room or suite on a different floor since you bought access.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can confirm that all Club91 level rooms get Club91 access, including specifically this rate that you and me both are looking at. From my understanding it's basically the extended-stay rate of the Sand Dollar package, that one DOES list it in the rate details. It might've just made the rate details too long so it's not there - but it does include it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.