Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 15, 2019, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Club 91 email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by hhoope01
Didn't try, so not sure, but would guess they would still allow you to. I will say that even though the food it an "upgrade" from a normal lounge, I still preferred to go out for dinner instead of eating in the lounge. I had a $100/night credit per day and used a decent chunk of that on trying out some of the onsite restaurants (in both the JW and the adjacent Marriott.)
$100 per night on top of lounge access? Wow. That's generous.

Were restaurant and bar prices inflated to eat up the nightly credit?

At the minimum, that's a good bottle of wine or champagne every day. At the most, it could be a really nice dinner even with inflated hotel prices.

I just pulled up the menu for the J.W. Marriott's AAA 4-diamond restaurant. Most of the main courses are under $20-$25.

You could get a lot of value out of that $100, especially if you were a drinker.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:46 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I don't remember the restaurant prices being too onerous. They weren't Cayman level prices.

We also used it on a couple of Spa massages which for a resort hotel Spa were very reasonably priced. We didn't want to leave any of that money on the table. We were planning on using some of it to rent a cabana, but it was never crowded enough for us to need to do so as we found nice chairs and shade very easily without even having to get up early.

And as I mentioned in post #105 above, for our 5 nights, we had $500 to spend, not $100 each day.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by hhoope01
And as I mentioned in post #105 above, for our 5 nights, we had $500 to spend, not $100 each day.
As a solo traveler, I would be afraid I couldn't spend $500 on food-and-beverage if I had lounge access, unless I spent it on alcohol.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
As a solo traveler, I would be afraid I couldn't spend $500 on food-and-beverage if I had lounge access, unless I spent it on alcohol.
shrimp cocktails poolside, all day!
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:40 am

Does anyone have email for the hotel? I contacted the Club 91 concierge via email and no response. Trip is not far out and no info from the hotel, particularly concerned about airport transportation which is included for Club 91.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by curl
Does anyone have email for the hotel? I contacted the Club 91 concierge via email and no response. Trip is not far out and no info from the hotel, particularly concerned about airport transportation which is included for Club 91.

Have you sent a fax to 011-52-998-848-9601?

I found this email address via Google: <[email protected]>.

You could also try (Mr.) Manuel Magana, director of operations at <[email protected]>.

I would be sure to mention that you are disappointed Club 91 hasn't responded.
dgreen12 and curl like this.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Mar 27, 2019 at 2:34 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
NOISE ALERT
I've recently completed a stay there.

I saw some posts on other forums that the noise was, at that time, isolated and occasional.
Not any more. The hammering (and jackhammering) noise is relentless and pervasive.

The hotel's website contains this disclaimer:
Guest room renovation February 25-June 24 2019. Work will be isolated, but construction noise may be heard between the hours of 9am and 7pm.
The tone of this message is that it's not really a big deal. It was a big f***ing deal for most guests at the hotel.
Hotel front desk staff told myself and other guests "the work is being done on the 6th floor, and it can be heard throughout the building". That is a lot more accurate.

"Work will be isolated", it says. No, actually, it's heard throughout the building.
"May be heard". No, it was literally non-stop throughout the day. Maybe someone dropped a hammer for a few seconds every now and then.

Every morning of my stay (except checkout morning, when I left early), some noise began before 8am, and major noise began shortly after 8am.
If you like to sleep in occasionally, well, forget doing that. If you want some peaceful enjoyment in the room of your luxury resort, say, after a day enjoying the ocean and their wonderful pool, that's out too.

During my stay there, every time I visited the hotel front desk (for folio updates, etc.) I heard other frustrated guests complain or ask about the noise.

If you're considering a stay here, you should expect to have your enjoyment interrupted.

Last edited by jerry305; Mar 29, 2019 at 7:23 pm Reason: Added the word "recently"
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by jerry305
NOISE ALERT
I've completed a stay there.

I saw some posts on other forums that the noise was, at that time, isolated and occasional.
Not any more. The hammering (and jackhammering) noise is relentless and pervasive.

The hotel's website contains this disclaimer:
Guest room renovation February 25-June 24 2019. Work will be isolated, but construction noise may be heard between the hours of 9am and 7pm.
The tone of this message is that it's not really a big deal. It was a big f***ing deal for most guests at the hotel.
Hotel front desk staff told myself and other guests "the work is being done on the 6th floor, and it can be heard throughout the building". That is a lot more accurate.

"Work will be isolated", it says. No, actually, it's heard throughout the building.
"May be heard". No, it was literally non-stop throughout the day. Maybe someone dropped a hammer for a few seconds every now and then.

Every morning of my stay (except checkout morning, when I left early), some noise began before 8am, and major noise began shortly after 8am.
If you like to sleep in occasionally, well, forget doing that. If you want some peaceful enjoyment in the room of your luxury resort, say, after a day enjoying the ocean and their wonderful pool, that's out too.

During my stay there, every time I visited the hotel front desk (for folio updates, etc.) I heard other frustrated guests complain or ask about the noise.

If you're considering a stay here, you should expect to have your enjoyment interrupted.
Dates of your stay? Trying to understand the vast differences in experiences people are having at the JW.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:21 pm

Dates of your stay? Trying to understand the vast differences in experiences people are having at the JW.

This past week. Front staff were doing their best to manage reactions from the guests; nothing they can do about it.
Plainly audible in the outdoor areas as well, though it's easy to escape that.

Last edited by jerry305; Mar 29, 2019 at 7:27 pm
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:02 pm
Suspended

It is possible they stopped construction or renovation at the peak of spring break during the last week of February and first two weeks of March.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 11:26 am

Now I’m really torn. This is peak spring break time. Risk it or cancel?! I know we will be 6-7 floors away but if the pool areas are loud too, that’s awful. (I’ve seen mentions of adult pool - we won’t be there though anyway!)
Old Mar 30, 2019, 11:34 am

Now I’m really torn. This is peak spring break time. Risk it or cancel?! I know we will be 6-7 floors away but if the pool areas are loud too, that’s awful. (I’ve seen mentions of adult pool - we won’t be there though anyway!)

Pool area: don't worry about it. The pool area is very large (and quite nice). We only heard the noise in part of that area, and certainly not to the same sound level, so it's easy to avoid.

The front desk repeated that the noise can be heard throughout the building. We were 3 floors away. 6-7 is better than 3, but hammering sounds will reverberate everywhere.
Consider cancelling and reserving at the Marriott Cancun next door. We wish we had.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by jerry305
Pool area: don't worry about it. The pool area is very large (and quite nice). We only heard the noise in part of that area, and certainly not to the same sound level, so it's easy to avoid.

Consider cancelling and reserving at the Marriott Cancun next door. We wish we had.
We have a club floor room, I don’t think there’s an equivalent at the Marriott. I know that the Ritz has but definitely a different price bracket. I have about 24 hours to decide. The hotel has been awful at responding to messages as well.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Looking at booking - see the warning about the noise... Not excited if I want to have a relaxing beach vacation and hear jackhammers all day. I think I'll e-mail the concierge e-mail mentioned above to inquire, too, but if anyone is there now/will go soon, please report!
Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Looking at booking - see the warning about the noise... Not excited if I want to have a relaxing beach vacation and hear jackhammers all day. I think I'll e-mail the concierge e-mail mentioned above to inquire, too, but if anyone is there now/will go soon, please report!
here now. no regrets! We are on 14th floor and don’t hear a thing. Out by the pool, you can hear the buzzing of saws (?) but more of a background noise. We slept until 9am today... nothing. Staff and service are lovely. They are putting carpet down on 12 right now and when we went to floor 5 to use the spa, there was a big closed off section (and noise). But no noise in the spa, it’s lovely. It will really depend on where your room is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.