Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Old Jun 15, 2019, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Club 91 email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:42 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by vivrant
Pretty incredible how much difference a couple of weeks makes. For an upgrade to Club 91, my stay over Christmas using a 7 night-cert, costs $375 per night for our family of four.
Christmas can definitely be an expensive time to travel. I'm paying less than that per night outright (i.e. not just for an upgrade and no points) and getting the $100/day resort credit added on top of that. That and the dirt cheap flights to Cancun are the reason we decided to try Cancun this year rather than our normal late-January Universal Orlando trip.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, , AA Gold, Bonvoy Titaniu
Thanks for mentioning the rate deal! I had booked a 5 night points stay with the $100 club 91 upgrade option. Just switched to the a $350 per night booking with the club 91 and $100 daily resort credit.
Looking at the rate detail it seems the resort credit is applied to any applicable charges as check out:
  • "Resort credit can be used towards food and beverages(excluding
  • mini-bar), Spa and other resort services. Upon checkout the
  • credit will be applied to folio. Credit may not be used toward
  • room and tax charges, nor future stays. Unused resort credit
  • will not be refunded."
Old Dec 7, 2018, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by vivrant
Pretty incredible how much difference a couple of weeks makes. For an upgrade to Club 91, my stay over Christmas using a 7 night-cert, costs $375 per night for our family of four.
For $375 per day, you could eat and drink really well in Cancun, presuming you don't get counterfeit alcohol.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by hhoope01
I have a reservation for late January coming up (in a Club 91 room). The reservation comes with a $100 daily resort credit. Does anyone know if that $100 has to be spent each day or if it can accumulate over multiple days?
Just had a two night stay there, using the $100/night credit. It is put on the bill as a per night credit to the room - I fully used mine both nights, but it was made clear that it was $100/day and not $200 total.

Couple of other notes - construction was not bad there; the only stuff I could see was some work on the winding river being worked on, as well as Gustino's being closed. Hardly any noise impact though. Property itself was in great shape; I'd stay there again. Big plus was getting the 4 pm checkout, which the Westin properties don't offer - that was great since I had a 6 pm flight; allowed me to hang at the pool most of the afternoon, go back to my room, take a shower and then head to the airport.

Only other downside was at this time of year, the pool areas don't get a ton of sun, especially in the afternoon. The adult-only area had the sun behind the Marriott at around 3 pm; much of the main pool was in the shade by about 330p (blocked by the guest rooms at the JW). When it's only high-70s for temperature, that made it a bit chilly hanging out at the pool. I'd imagine at other times of year (when the sun is higher up in the sky), this isn't an issue.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 5:55 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Staying at the property till Sunday.

Was able to get connecting rooms on a higher floor so was just happy about that. Rooms are simple but the bathrooms are quite big which is a plus. Early check in not available.

Suprisingly, the hotel had no advance communication with me before arrival. I had to call and ask for connecting rooms and arrange the shuttle which was included in the room price.

Plats or higher can choose between continental breakfast or 1000 points or the snack and drink option. You can upgrade the continental breakfast to the Buffett breakfast for $20 per person and not per room.

Buffett breakfast was included in my room package ...kids in the other room were charged 50% of the price. Also, once you come into the breakfast area, you cannot leave even if you just want a cup of coffee and then wait to eat with your family. Never had this issue before with any other hotels in the Marriott chain.

Drinks at the beach were typical resort prices — $4/5 for a beer and $10/12 for cocktails. Both meals were eaten outside the hotel as we like going out and trying different things.

Safety wise ... perfectly safe in the hotel zone.

Last edited by anaggie; Jan 4, 2019 at 3:20 pm
Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:21 pm

Hey all, I posted this in the main Cancun thread, but wanted to repost it here since it's more appropriate:

Just booked an Ocean View King room at the JW Marriott in Cancun for a weekend trip with my girlfriend. Anyone that's been, any recommendations for what rooms are best? I'm a PP, and not going really during peak time at all, but still not expecting much in terms of upgrades. Are there some good ocean front rooms I should maybe ask for? I'm sure I won't get upgraded to a suite or anything.

Thanks!
Also, would it be worth using SNAs for two nights at this place? It seems like the suites aren't renovated like the other rooms based on what I'm reading.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
After staying here for 4 days, here are my feelings so far:

1) no plat arrival gift — maybe they are just too busy. Will let the front desk know.

2) glad I didn’t pay for club access at $375/day for my family. We had breakfast included in the rate under my room, kids paid 50% of the rate for breakfast, we ate a good lunch outside some days and at the hotel some days, had a few drinks, went to nice dinners outside with drinks and dessert and never came close to $375 spend. Don’t know why someone would pay the price for club —but hey each to his own.

3) Bars at the pools give glasses of water upon request.

4) Construction noise is almost unheard of. There is some construction going on, but it wasn’t affecting anyone.

Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by anaggie

2) glad I didnt pay for club access at $375/day for my family. We had breakfast included in the rate under my room, kids paid 50% of the rate for breakfast, we ate a good lunch outside some days and at the hotel some days, had a few drinks, went to nice dinners outside with drinks and dessert and never came close to $375 spend. Dont know why someone would pay the price for club but hey each to his own.
As someone famous said once, "There's a sucker born every minute."

The hotel doesn't need more than a few of guests paying $375 every day to make a decent amount of revenue. The profit margin off of buffets at $20 or $30 is huge. Imagine what the profit margin is on $375 per day.

It's not like what they're serving costs that much money. It costs even less money if they serve counterfeit alcohol, as some of the hotels in Cancun have been caught doing. And labor is relatively cheap in Mexico.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
I would agree with you on Club 91 not being worth an extra $375/night. I wouldn't have gone with Club 91 for my upcoming trip there except the rate comes with $100/day credit, club 91 access, free airport shuttle, SPA access, Premium Ocean view, yet only costs about $85/night more. That is much more "reasonable" to me.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:57 pm

Back home this past weekend from a 6 night stay (1 night on points, 5 nights cash) in a Club 91 access room. The rate I had included $100/night credit for incidental charges to the room. I had been told each $100 had to be spent the day it was credited or you lose it. When I checked-in, the Club 91 attendant told me that while I would see a $100/night credit, it would add up to $500 for me to spend as any amount through the week. That meant the $200 SPA massage charge was fully covered. ^

There is still construction going on, but I couldn't hear anything from my room. So it wasn't a problem for me at least. Club 91 comes with transportation to/from the airport, access to the lounge (opens at 7am and closes at 10pm each day.) The lounge is on the 14th floor, but the room I was given was on the 12th which was a bit of a pain as that meant I had to wait for an elevator any time I wanted to go to the lounge. My LTPP status did not get may a room upgrade unfortunately, but it did get me a 10% discount in the on-prem stores. Note that I didn't really push hard for an upgrade either as I didn't really need a suite room with this stay (just my wife and I), but if I had it to do over, I would push harder for a room on the 14th floor with the lounge. The hotel didn't seem that crowded and there weren't very many people out by the pools. So finding chairs and umbrellas wasn't an issue. We did ask and a cabana rental would have been either $130 or $160/day depending on whether you wanted one facing the pool or the ocean.

The food in the Club 91 lounge was decent to good and it was enjoyable, but my wife definitely couldn't eat there everyday for all our meals. She wanted to try other things. And even though the dinner in the club comes from one of a different restaurant each night, it wasn't nearly as good as going to the restaurant itself. If you like an evening drink, from 6pm-9pm I do believe all the drinks are free. My personal opinion is that while Club 91 access was nice, it wouldn't be anywhere worth paying a lot of money for it. We ended up getting it as the rate was only $80/night more than a Premium View room (which a Club 91 room is as well) plus it came with the $100/night extra. So the hotel essentially paid us $20/night to get a Club 91 room.

Overall, I liked the resort and would be willing to come back again, but unless there was a similar deal to what I had this trip, I wouldn't upgrade to Club 91.
jerry305 and danbnash like this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Back home this past weekend from a 6 night stay (1 night on points, 5 nights cash) in a Club 91 access room. The rate I had included $100/night credit for incidental charges to the room. I had been told each $100 had to be spent the day it was credited or you lose it. When I checked-in, the Club 91 attendant told me that while I would see a $100/night credit, it would add up to $500 for me to spend as any amount through the week. That meant the $200 SPA massage charge was fully covered. ^

There is still construction going on, but I couldn't hear anything from my room. So it wasn't a problem for me at least. Club 91 comes with transportation to/from the airport, access to the lounge (opens at 7am and closes at 10pm each day.) The lounge is on the 14th floor, but the room I was given was on the 12th which was a bit of a pain as that meant I had to wait for an elevator any time I wanted to go to the lounge. My LTPP status did not get may a room upgrade unfortunately, but it did get me a 10% discount in the on-prem stores. Note that I didn't really push hard for an upgrade either as I didn't really need a suite room with this stay (just my wife and I), but if I had it to do over, I would push harder for a room on the 14th floor with the lounge. The hotel didn't seem that crowded and there weren't very many people out by the pools. So finding chairs and umbrellas wasn't an issue. We did ask and a cabana rental would have been either $130 or $160/day depending on whether you wanted one facing the pool or the ocean.

The food in the Club 91 lounge was decent to good and it was enjoyable, but my wife definitely couldn't eat there everyday for all our meals. She wanted to try other things. And even though the dinner in the club comes from one of a different restaurant each night, it wasn't nearly as good as going to the restaurant itself. If you like an evening drink, from 6pm-9pm I do believe all the drinks are free. My personal opinion is that while Club 91 access was nice, it wouldn't be anywhere worth paying a lot of money for it. We ended up getting it as the rate was only $80/night more than a Premium View room (which a Club 91 room is as well) plus it came with the $100/night extra. So the hotel essentially paid us $20/night to get a Club 91 room.

Overall, I liked the resort and would be willing to come back again, but unless there was a similar deal to what I had this trip, I wouldn't upgrade to Club 91.
I have a hard time believing everyone on the floor of the Club 91 lounge had platinum premier status. So all things being equal, a platinum premier should get a better room than someone with lesser or no elite status who also paid for Club 91.

What was the food typically like? Do you remember what kind of wine? Cheap stuff or good stuff?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 3:50 pm

I don't disagree, but at the time I didn't really think about the hassle of being on a different floor. And once we were unpacked and settled in the room, it wasn't worth changing rooms over. The room we did have had a very nice balcony with a great view of both the main pool and the beach/ocean. So I can't complain about that.

An example of the food for the night they had the Mikado restaurant theme, included fried rice, a chicken noodle dish, thinly sliced beef and chicken in separate bowls, a soup (it seemed every night they had a soup offering that matched the theme.) There was a chef available (at where they cook the omelets in the mornings) cooking some limited stir-fried choices. They had some sliced veggies in cups, a number of different sushi rolls to try, and a number of different small dessert options which weren't really part of the nightly theme (i.e. one night would be little crme brule with a berry on top, another night might be a small carrot or similar cakes, etc.) It was nice and I enjoyed them just fine. But my wife thought they didn't keep them warm enough and thus most nights by the time you sit down with your plate, the food was luke warm.

For breakfast, they would have some sausage links, scrambled eggs, some breakfast burritos and similar Mexican items, cooked potatoes, bacon, sliced meats an omelet station with cooked to order omelets and also a waffle stand. They had yogurts, sliced fruits and a few various juices. They did have oatmeal, but it didn't look like what I normally think oatmeal should look like. So I stayed away from that.

I'm not a wine drinker, so for the wine I can't really say, but they had a decent number of wine bottles lining one of the back walls (in wine stands) and they had fancy looking labels if that means anything. I did see quite a few folks drinking a glass or 2 each evening. I'd guess it wasn't horrible.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Marriott press release

JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa Unveils Reimagined Guestrooms Infused with Modern Design Elements | Marriott News Center

"...announced the completion of JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa’s highly anticipated renovation, which includes an extensive transformation to all 447 lavish ocean-facing guestrooms and suites. (details re: the renovation in the press release).

Guests can experience JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa’s fresh Mayan-inspired look when they book the “New Point of Blue” package. The package includes overnight accommodations, daily breakfast at Sedona Grill, beach bag welcome amenity, margarita flight or tasting from the new ‘150 Margaritas’ menu, and $100 USD resort credit to use at the spa or specialty restaurants. Package rates start at $409 per night and is valid for bookings now through March 31, 2019 for travel Jan. 6 – Dec. 21, 2019. Rates are subject to a two-night minimum stay and are subject to availability and blackout dates. To book, visit www.jwmarriottcancun.com and enter code E0Q."
mecca138 likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:52 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Can you please clarify. You wrote:
The rate I had included $100/night credit for incidental charges to the room. I had been told each $100 had to be spent the day it was credited or you lose it. When I checked-in, the Club 91 attendant told me that while I would see a $100/night credit, it would add up to $500 for me to spend as any amount through the week. That meant the $200 SPA massage charge was fully covered.
I am in the exact same situation, except it is $50/day credit. I too am staying on the Club 91 floor (or like you, with access to the lounge). I too have read elsewhere that the hotel is strict on "use it or lose it" per day charges. But you suggest that when checking in you were told otherwise. In the end, was the $100/day accumulated to $500/stay as you indicate above?
Old Feb 1, 2019, 6:04 am

I also had read and been told there was a strict $100/day use it that day or lose it for the day credits. But that was not what I was told by one of the Club 91 check-in associates and it was not how they processed it. We had right at $500 in incidental purchases which included a $200 SPA charge and it was all completely covered. The bill I received at check-out basically just showed a $100 daily credit. Actually, they showed me 2 bills. One bill was the room rate and other non-incidental charges and the 2nd bill showed all the incidental charges and the daily $100 credits. In fact we were short of the $500 spent the morning we were checking out, so my wife went down to the lobby store to buy something to spend the full $500.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.