Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 15, 2019, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Club 91 email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH Gold, WOH Globalist
Just finished up a very nice stay here. Used a combination of 5 night travel package cert plus additional points to book a premium ocean view room which included Club 91 access. Club 91 is still in a temporary location on the 14th floor, and they hope to open the remodeled club in the original location mid April.

We thought the Club 91 food, drink, and service was very good. The evening service is called “Discovery Hour” where they present a few menu items from a selected JW or adjacent Marriott Cancun restaurant. It was very convenient to have dinner there for several evenings. Even though our room on the 14th floor was not renovated, it was in great shape, and we enjoyed our huge balcony. The concierge told us that the club level room renovations start next month. We heard some construction noise for a few short periods of time, but it was never bothersome. No problem with the elevators. We hope to return after all the renovations are complete.

View from balcony

Club 91 breakfast service
mmayer likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update & pics. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Just made a booking for Jan 1 - Jan 6. Lets hope the construction is mostly finished. Called the hotel directly and asked how much it would be for Club 91 for my family -- $375/day -- YIKES !!

I think we could definitely eat great food in town for that kind of cash. Not big drinkers so that doesn't really seem like a perk. Now, if the hotel threw in a cabana daily...I might consider it
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Would anyone recommend trying to use the 5 SNA at this hotel especially Jan 1-6? Or how is the hotel with upgrades towards PP?
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
Going to be at the hotel for 7 nights over Christmas using a 7 night cert. From what I am reading, I shouldn't expect anything as a Platinum (i.e. breakfast, decent upgrade, etc.). Does anyone know otherwise? Should we stay at the Ritz Carlton next door instead (both are same category)?
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:38 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I think under the new "combined" Marriott program rules, a Plat + 1 should now get breakfast in their restaurant (i.e. not in their lounge as lounge access in resorts isn't a benefit), though you could choose 1000K points instead of breakfast. And I guess it depends on what a "decent upgrade" is, but upgrades are still a benefit even at resorts (you just won't get an upgrade to their Club 91 floor/lounge.)

Do note that RCs don't have to provide Plats with a breakfast amenity. You only get the 1000 points per stay.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: UR, Marriott, AA, WN, Chick Fil A Red
Originally Posted by vivrant
Going to be at the hotel for 7 nights over Christmas using a 7 night cert. From what I am reading, I shouldn't expect anything as a Platinum (i.e. breakfast, decent upgrade, etc.). Does anyone know otherwise? Should we stay at the Ritz Carlton next door instead (both are same category)?
I'm Platinum as well, and we elected to just pay upgrade to club 91 and premium room. I will be pleasantly surprised if my status confers any type of benefit for this stay.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by vivrant
As a legacy MR plat premier pre 8/18, I received a nice upgrade at this property on short trips and think it is a nice place.

Of course .... for 7 nights over Christmas, I suspect an upgrade of any significance is unlikely. Its a peak time and a seven day stay either of which make upgrades unlikely.

You should, however, get breakfast for two but can't say how they are handling pre 8/18.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01
I think under the new "combined" Marriott program rules, a Plat + 1 should now get breakfast in their restaurant (i.e. not in their lounge as lounge access in resorts isn't a benefit), though you could choose 1000K points instead of breakfast. And I guess it depends on what a "decent upgrade" is, but upgrades are still a benefit even at resorts (you just won't get an upgrade to their Club 91 floor/lounge.)

Do note that RCs don't have to provide Plats with a breakfast amenity. You only get the 1000 points per stay.
I just called the hotel and was told that indeed Plat+1 would get continental breakfast! That’s some unexpected great news. Also was told that upgrades would be to the premium section of the hotel, but he wouldn’t be any more specific than saying higher floor (above 5th or 6th floor) offering more
premium views and room types. I asked about Spa discounts but he said those details would be provided at check-in.
Club 91 was offered at $125 per adult + $75 for our 12yo and free for our 3 year old.
I am traveling using a 7 night travel package certificate so wondering if I can upgrade any part of my stay using points (ie room type or to Club 91)?
For those who have stayed recently, do the rooms all have pull out couches to accommodate our two kids (they sleep together as it is so they could make do on a pull out couch with a double bed). Thanks!
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Don't forget this special, which I posted in the generic Marriott Cancun thread. If you have a large family or a group of friends, it's a good deal. You just need 10 rooms. $269 for the J.W. Marriott and $179 for the Marriott.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30301408-post929.html
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
I am on the property right now for a couple of days. Used my suite night upgrades to a Grand Oceanview 1 BR, and received a newly refurbished room on the 11th floor.
Bedroom

Sitting area

Bedroom balcony (one on the left is from sitting room)

The new look is nice, but a bit austere. Lots of construction ongoing, but not noisy or really disruptive at all. They intend to be fully completed by Dec 10th, for start of Xmas season.

As a Plat Premier, I was presented with a list of choices as my welcome gift. You could have a couple of drinks and snacks (2 beers, water, fruit plate, etc.), the points, or continental breakfast for 2 (which is what I chose). Proactive offer, didn’t have to ask.

The continental breakfast is a set plate, not limited access to the buffet. You get a fruit plate, cereal, pastries, coffee and juice. I upgraded to the full buffet, a little sticker shock at the end, as the upgrade was $19USD ($364 MXN). I think I was expecting somewhere in the $10 range, but it is a good buffet, so not totally outrageous, especially for Cancun.

For upgrades, I think really the quality of the view is all that can be expected. The rooms are very similar (with the exception of the suites, of which there aren’t a ton), and every room in the place has an oceanview, so higher floor and closer to the water is all one should legitimately expect.

One final thing, the minibar fridges now have a side compartment, that seems to be left open for guest use. So walk down the driveway of the Marriott next door, and cross the road to the 7-11 to stock up on beer, soda and water. You’ll get a 6 pack of Dos Equis for the same price as one in the hotel.

Last edited by VoodooYYC; Nov 1, 2018 at 12:20 pm Reason: Info re continental beeakfast
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by VoodooYYC
The new look is nice, but a bit austere. Lots of construction ongoing, but not noisy or really disruptive at all. They intend to be fully completed by Dec 10th, for start of Xmas season.

The continental breakfast is a set plate, not limited access to the buffet. You get a fruit plate, cereal, pastries, coffee and juice.
It's odd that the room is so bland. It could be the J.W. Marriott in any big city's downtown. You would think they would at least include a design tie-in to the ocean and Mexico.

As for the breakfast, that's outrageous. I would report the property to Marriott because the intent of the terms and conditions is a breakfast more significant than this. Marriott could have used "continental breakfast" in the terms and conditions of its elite program. It didn't.

<[email protected]>
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:26 am

I have a reservation for late January coming up (in a Club 91 room). The reservation comes with a $100 daily resort credit. Does anyone know if that $100 has to be spent each day or if it can accumulate over multiple days?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:46 am

So I called to ask about how the $100/day resort credit could be spent. It looks like it has to be used each day. So I won't be able to "save" it up for a couple of days to pay for something that costs $300-$400. While I was hoping, this isn't really a surprise.

Also, just in case of any interest, for a stay during the middle of January, the difference in price from a base level no frills room to a Premium View, Club 91 room with $100/day resort credit was just under $100/day extra (this is a cash reservation, not an award). I couldn't see a reason not to upgrade.

Last edited by hhoope01; Dec 3, 2018 at 5:53 am
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Also, just in case of any interest, for a stay during the middle of January, the difference in price from a base level no frills room to a Premium View, Club 91 room with $100/day resort credit was just under $100/day extra (this is a cash reservation, not an award). I couldn't see a reason not to upgrade.
Pretty incredible how much difference a couple of weeks makes. For an upgrade to Club 91, my stay over Christmas using a 7 night-cert, costs $375 per night for our family of four.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.