Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 15, 2019, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Club 91 email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2022, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Smiley90
If it's a Club 91 suite it includes it, yes. Congrats! Also includes spa access, which we made use of every day when we were there. The indoor people is great for doing laps and the spa area is super soothing (and has cucumber water, nuts and fresh fruits to relax, too)
​​​​​​
Originally Posted by bizum
Congrats @kb1992 ! I have tentative plans for Ritz Cancun in March, this makes me want to try my SNA's at JWM instead (my SO is pushing for Ritz)
Hmm my mistake: I will get upgraded to Club 91 executive room with Premier Ocean View, but not a suite. This is still better than the regular room. Weekend seems tough for suite upgrades.

My SNA cleared probably because I booked Sunday-Friday. Ambassador status helps too.

I tend to avoid Ritz due to lack of benefits. Not able to use SNA is significant to me, especially when I travel with family members.

Any suite at JWM beats any Ritz regular room, hands down.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by kb1992
Hmm my mistake: I will get upgraded to Club 91 executive room with Premier Ocean View, but not a suite. This is still better than the regular room. Weekend seems tough for suite upgrades.

My SNA cleared probably because I booked Sunday-Friday. Ambassador status helps too.

I tend to avoid Ritz due to lack of benefits. Not able to use SNA is significant to me, especially when I travel with family members.

Any suite at JWM beats any Ritz regular room, hands down.
FWIW as long as it's a Club 91 room, it has Club 91 benefits. Room & Suite. It's the "Club 91" part that matters, not the suite - there are NON-Club suites as well, and those don't include the benefits. (and generally, that's where SNA's will clear into, NOT Club 91, so you made out well either way I think )
kb1992 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Smiley90
FWIW as long as it's a Club 91 room, it has Club 91 benefits. Room & Suite. It's the "Club 91" part that matters, not the suite - there are NON-Club suites as well, and those don't include the benefits. (and generally, that's where SNA's will clear into, NOT Club 91, so you made out well either way I think )
It took an interesting turn when I checked out the large suite today.

Apparently my SNA cleared to JW Junior Suite, even though I already got free upgrade to Club 91 room. I did also request the large suite and Caribbean suite which is slightly bigger than the Junior Suite. Front desk said both large suites are full for the weekend.

So instead of a Club 91 room, we moved to the JW Junior Suite. It's really not a suite, just a roomy room with a sitting area. The view is good, though.

Maybe I should have withdrawn SNA request and stay at Club 91 room.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb1992
Report: Checked in the Ocean View Large Suite 1345 Sq. Ft. Upgrade cleared using SNA 5 days before arrival.

This is an impressive suite. Most beautiful ocean view. The best I have ever been stayed.

Wow, what time of day was this? The pool area is empty. It was NOT anything like this over New Year's. It was like Lord of the Flies to get chaise lounges. BTW, the pool loungers here are the most comfortable ones I've been on ANYWHERE! Like 6" thick cushions. The ones next door at the Marriott were hard plastic and looked AWFUL.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Wow, what time of day was this? The pool area is empty. It was NOT anything like this over New Year's. It was like Lord of the Flies to get chaise lounges. BTW, the pool loungers here are the most comfortable ones I've been on ANYWHERE! Like 6" thick cushions. The ones next door at the Marriott were hard plastic and looked AWFUL.
Totally agreed. It was Monday noon when I took the pictures of the pool. Overall there were many people there for whatever reason.

Let me share few more pictures. All taken at JW property, either at my suite balcony, or the beach. Really nice there.

Hope my fellow FTers would enjoy these photos.

'

dgreen12 and qlaval like this.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 9:35 am

Programs: Delta-DM, United-Platinum, American-Platinum, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Haha, my first time back in Cancun since college spring break senior year. Definitely a different type of trip!
We paid $950 extra for 5 nights over New Year's, via a points+cash upgrade award. I think the daily surcharge for the club dropped from $250 to $150 on Saturday 1/1, so your stay was probably earlier (we were Thurs-Tues).
You definitely can't justify the price financially, unless maybe you're going to pound drinks at mealtimes and the evening, and eat all your meals there, and use the sauna/steam every day. But the food isn't that great (breakfast is fine).
That said, we had a great view from the top floor with the oversized balcony, so all-in-all I'm fine with what we paid, especially considering the value on the redemption.
My original new years trip got postponed due to covid-19 in the family. We were lucky enough to get free PCR testing so don't have to do PCR departure testing in CUN or arrival testing in YYZ. It's funny how actually getting and recovering from covid is actually better from a travel convenience standpoint. I decided yesterday to rebook for this Saturday for 7 nights. Only during covid do airfares go down significantly so last minute!

2 nights in a Grand Ocean Front Suite and then 5 nights in Club level Premium Ocean View. No SNA in my account as I was 5 night shorts of 50 elite nights last year but the upgrade fees seemed reasonable ($250 and $500 respectively). I've asked through chat if the Grand Ocean Front suite can be extended for a day or so or if Club 91 access can be extended to my arrival (as the Grand Ocean Suite doesn't say Club 91 on it). No biggie either way.

Any recommendations for a couple with a 9 month old? Just booked a spa massage services on the Wednesday but it see access to the spa itself is already included with Club 91 (although their brochure seems to suggest the 1st floor of the spa is included for all JW Marriott guests). Does that mean Club 91 gets free access to the second floor? - Normally 300 MXN). How common are cash transactions these days with covid? I guess I'll bring some USD over just in case.

Thanks!
Old Jan 29, 2022, 1:55 pm

Nice! This seems worth it over an all inclusive...
Old Feb 3, 2022, 10:09 am

Programs: Delta-DM, United-Platinum, American-Platinum, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Just a mini update mid trip.

Hotel is pretty nice but did not give any additional upgrades in addition to what I paid to be upgraded to. I'd say Club 91 access is a must if you have kids. It's just super convenient.

One important thing to note to anyone coming in the next few weeks. There is a massive Aerotek event going on which has completely booked up the Marriott cancun and is ever growing in the jw marriott. Staff said three weeks total and I believe we're nearing the end of week one. All restaurants are extremely tough to book as they have all been allotted to Aerotek. It's also quite a party vibe given it's their sales milestone event. Spa is pretty busy too given massages are part of the amenities they get.

Good news is that they don't have club 91 access so it's a nice escape when you're in the lounge.

Overall I'd say my stay so far is nice but nothing amazing. Don't feel like I've been treated as nicely as a platinum as I have in other places like Asia or Europe or the maldives but given how we're just next to the US and how likely everyone is platinum +, it's no surprise

Originally Posted by ahbitheman
My original new years trip got postponed due to covid-19 in the family. We were lucky enough to get free PCR testing so don't have to do PCR departure testing in CUN or arrival testing in YYZ. It's funny how actually getting and recovering from covid is actually better from a travel convenience standpoint. I decided yesterday to rebook for this Saturday for 7 nights. Only during covid do airfares go down significantly so last minute!

2 nights in a Grand Ocean Front Suite and then 5 nights in Club level Premium Ocean View. No SNA in my account as I was 5 night shorts of 50 elite nights last year but the upgrade fees seemed reasonable ($250 and $500 respectively). I've asked through chat if the Grand Ocean Front suite can be extended for a day or so or if Club 91 access can be extended to my arrival (as the Grand Ocean Suite doesn't say Club 91 on it). No biggie either way.

Any recommendations for a couple with a 9 month old? Just booked a spa massage services on the Wednesday but it see access to the spa itself is already included with Club 91 (although their brochure seems to suggest the 1st floor of the spa is included for all JW Marriott guests). Does that mean Club 91 gets free access to the second floor? - Normally 300 MXN). How common are cash transactions these days with covid? I guess I'll bring some USD over just in case.

Thanks!
Old Mar 7, 2022, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA, UA Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Amb
Just got back from a 6 day stay at the JW, thought I would put down my thoughts.

Booked 6 night on points plus $100/night upgrade to Club91. Applied SNAs at booking and was upgraded to a Junior Suite 3 days before we arrived.

The room was on 10, so we had to ride the elevator to get to Club91, not a big deal, but definitely less convenient than just walking down the hall. The room is self was very good sized with a larger bathroom but no divider between the seating area and the bed. Since the TV was over by the bed, we almost never used the seating area. It was nice to get the upgrade, but not sure I would pay extra for this room.

The Club itself remains just as we remembered it from our last trip here in 2019. The staff is still very attentive and accommodating, but no familiar faces after 3 years except Chef Luis. It seems they have killed off the "Afternoon Tea" service that used to be available. Not a big deal because it was probably not well utilized, but would have been nice our first day on arrival. The food remains very good. Breakfast and Lunch always had a nice variety of choices. The 6-8p service is now called Dinner instead of "Discovery Hour". We probably ate there 3 out of the 6 nights, usually when we were tired and didn't feel like going out.

The biggest difference we noticed after 3 years was the amazing amount of beach erosion! They have easily lost 30 - 40 feet of beach since 2019. They are down to one row of beach palapas so it makes it much harder to get a chair on the beach with a little shade. This, in turn, makes the pool more crowded too. Definitely a YMMV situation as it seemed things eased up on the last few days we were there (a Friday and Saturday), would probably be a real problem during high occupancy like Spring Break. Also, because of this, it seemed many more guests would get up early to drop towels and book on chairs to stake their claim, then not come back down until 10 or 11. Kind of an annoyance when the pool looks empty, but you are left wandering around looking for a couple of chairs together.

All in all we had another very good experience at the JW and look forward to our next stay. It remains to be seen if it will be affordable with the upcoming devaluation -- bookings on points aren't available after 1/18/2023 at this moment.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 10:19 am

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
We will visit during Easter. What are some good restaurants close to the hotel?
Old Mar 20, 2022, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by mmayer
Just got back from a 6 day stay at the JW, thought I would put down my thoughts.

Booked 6 night on points plus $100/night upgrade to Club91. Applied SNAs at booking and was upgraded to a Junior Suite 3 days before we arrived.

The room was on 10, so we had to ride the elevator to get to Club91, not a big deal, but definitely less convenient than just walking down the hall. The room is self was very good sized with a larger bathroom but no divider between the seating area and the bed. Since the TV was over by the bed, we almost never used the seating area. It was nice to get the upgrade, but not sure I would pay extra for this room.

The Club itself remains just as we remembered it from our last trip here in 2019. The staff is still very attentive and accommodating, but no familiar faces after 3 years except Chef Luis. It seems they have killed off the "Afternoon Tea" service that used to be available. Not a big deal because it was probably not well utilized, but would have been nice our first day on arrival. The food remains very good. Breakfast and Lunch always had a nice variety of choices. The 6-8p service is now called Dinner instead of "Discovery Hour". We probably ate there 3 out of the 6 nights, usually when we were tired and didn't feel like going out.

The biggest difference we noticed after 3 years was the amazing amount of beach erosion! They have easily lost 30 - 40 feet of beach since 2019. They are down to one row of beach palapas so it makes it much harder to get a chair on the beach with a little shade. This, in turn, makes the pool more crowded too. Definitely a YMMV situation as it seemed things eased up on the last few days we were there (a Friday and Saturday), would probably be a real problem during high occupancy like Spring Break. Also, because of this, it seemed many more guests would get up early to drop towels and book on chairs to stake their claim, then not come back down until 10 or 11. Kind of an annoyance when the pool looks empty, but you are left wandering around looking for a couple of chairs together.

All in all we had another very good experience at the JW and look forward to our next stay. It remains to be seen if it will be affordable with the upcoming devaluation -- bookings on points aren't available after 1/18/2023 at this moment.

Interesting, I got an email from them with a fee of 250$ per night for my next weeks stay as a titanium. And old reports mention 30$ Club91 fee per night.

So… How come those huge discrepancies!?
Old Mar 20, 2022, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mmayer

yeah also wondering about the upgrade fee

I am booking this place on points and want to book the grand ocean view suite so I do not have to worry about upgrades, was going to ask about club 91 when I got there, how / when did you get the $100 club 91 offer, the marriott website does say $250 per night
Old Mar 21, 2022, 12:57 pm

Would people still book this place if it weren't a Marriott brand? I mean, does it hold its own as one of the better Cancun resorts, or would you say there are better choices if it was purely a non-Brand cash decision.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by whitethunder
yeah also wondering about the upgrade fee

I am booking this place on points and want to book the grand ocean view suite so I do not have to worry about upgrades, was going to ask about club 91 when I got there, how / when did you get the $100 club 91 offer, the marriott website does say $250 per night
Originally Posted by Established1985
Interesting, I got an email from them with a fee of 250$ per night for my next weeks stay as a titanium. And old reports mention 30$ Club91 fee per night.

So… How come those huge discrepancies!?
Sorry, haven't been on recently....
The Club is offered on Points reservations as a "Redemption with Cash Upgrade" option:

This screen shot is for a 6 night stay, so 50k + $100 per night vs. just 50k points a night for a regular room. Seems like it is a heck of a deal compared to the straight cash room rate difference between a standard room and a Club 91 room (~$300/night for the nights I was looking at). I would suppose that the $250/night upgrade is for a cash room rate.

Getting the Ocean View Suite plus Club 91 on points plus cash isn't offered, so you may be stuck with the $250/night upgrade option. At $100/night, it's a no-brainer -- at $250/night, not so much. I feel we easily get $100 of value just from eating breakfast and lunch in the club.
Established1985 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by brokenwindow
We will visit during Easter. What are some good restaurants close to the hotel?
Looking for anything specific?

Fred's and Crab House are a 5 minute walk -- as close as you can get without staying on property. Have been to Fred's multiple times and have enjoyed it each time. Reasonably priced and a pretty good range on the menu from beef, chicken, seafood. Crab House is obviously more seafood focused.

Porfirio's and Puerto Madero are a little further north up the hotel strip. Not a bad walk, but my wife wouldn't want to do it in heels.
If you go as far as La Isla Mall, Elephanta for Indian and the Thai place right next door are both good as well.

On 'property', Sasi Thai next door at the Marriott was pretty good.
brokenwindow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.