Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 15, 2019, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Club 91 email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2021, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by anaggie
After our first night dinner at RosaNegra which was a full blown party with a show and everyone crammed together for a view of the show. Then it started raining and they moved everyone who was outside to the inside and there were probably 200+ people just in the main dining area and waiting area. It was crazy ...

I was sure we had caught it being so close to that many people.
Insane. I was considering going to this hotel maybe in Feb. Definitely not going now.

Hopefully, everyone was wearing masks.

This should be reported to Marriott!
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 10:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Insane. I was considering going to this hotel maybe in Feb. Definitely not going now.

The same thing happened at a Hilton I stayed at in Cancun about 3 weeks ago. Partying in the lobby with margaritas and live musician. Nobody cared even with posted signs mandating mask. It's a lost cause unfortunately. Yes, I reported it locally, only response was (deer in the headlights look) and also reported on my survey.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 10:10 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Originally Posted by margarita girl

The restaurant is not on hotel property or owned by the hotel so no relation to Marriott.

Inside the hotel everyone was pretty much adhering to the policy. Outside by the pool and beach was a different story but we weren’t too worried about it. If that concerns you, then I would definitely not go near Cancun. I honestly doubt any hotel can control what happens by the pool or beach.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 11:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
After our first night dinner at RosaNegra which was a full blown party with a show and everyone crammed together for a view of the show. Then it started raining and they moved everyone who was outside to the inside and there were probably 200+ people just in the main dining area and waiting area. It was crazy ...

I was sure we had caught it being so close to that many people.
And you would willingly put yourself in this situation because...

Regards
UAPremierGuy likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by samwise6222
I just heard back from the property -

Resort fee from Jan 1, 2021. The note is there as a precaution, but they are not charging on reservations for stays prior to Jan 1 2021.
did they send this to you via email? Do you mind posting a screenshot?
Old Jan 4, 2021, 11:58 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
The resort fee was first noticed back in November. There is a discussion on it back then, look around posts 250 or so. I do believe someone called and asked the hotel about the fee. I don't know if reservations made for 2021 before that showed the fee or not. But if it didn't I would definitely contest it (by showing your reservation details with no resort fee listed.)

So more important should be your reservation email. If that doesn't show/list the fee, then just print and show that. If they didn't disclose it to you when your reservation was made, then they shouldn't be able to charge it to you. You can also just ask someone from the front desk about it to verify. Let them know that your reservation started before Jan 1st and that your reservation details didn't mention or list that fee. That should be enough for them to drop the fee even if it shows up on your folio.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01
The resort fee was first noticed back in November. There is a discussion on it back then, look around posts 250 or so. I do believe someone called and asked the hotel about the fee. I don't know if reservations made for 2021 before that showed the fee or not. But if it didn't I would definitely contest it (by showing your reservation details with no resort fee listed.)

So more important should be your reservation email. If that doesn't show/list the fee, then just print and show that. If they didn't disclose it to you when your reservation was made, then they shouldn't be able to charge it to you. You can also just ask someone from the front desk about it to verify. Let them know that your reservation started before Jan 1st and that your reservation details didn't mention or list that fee. That should be enough for them to drop the fee even if it shows up on your folio.
unfortunately It does show up on my reservation. But there have been multiple data points of people not having it if check in was before 2021. I just want to have something to reference in case they don’t want to remove it.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu

Regards
Didn't know the restaurant would be like that .. didn’t know that it would rain in the middle of dinner and definitely didn’t know they would have a halftime show 🤦🏽‍♂️
Old Jan 5, 2021, 8:57 am

Programs: Miles&Smiles Gold

Regards
Maybe not everybody lives in fear and panic ? The hysteric ones should stay home (and save lives??)
Old Jan 16, 2021, 1:55 pm
Suspended

JW Marriott Cancun - COVID-19 testing?

Any news about what JW Marriott Cancun will do with the new CDC regulations that requires returning US citizens and residents to present proof of a negative COVID-19 test?
Several Cancun hotels already have decided to offer free or low-cost testing and some are even willing to throw in a free quarantine stay in case of testing positive.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 3:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Any news about what JW Marriott Cancun will do with the new CDC regulations that requires returning US citizens and residents to present proof of a negative COVID-19 test?
Several Cancun hotels already have decided to offer free or low-cost testing and some are even willing to throw in a free quarantine stay in case of testing positive.
We are talking about a property that, if memory serves me, offers Platinums a continental (rather than full) breakfast. I think I'd be setting my sights a whole lot lower than a free quarantine stay....

Regards
Old Jan 16, 2021, 3:17 pm
Suspended

We are talking about a property that, if memory serves me, offers Platinums a continental (rather than full) breakfast. I think I'd be setting my sights a whole lot lower than a free quarantine stay....

Regards
I think I will set my sights at cancelling and saving myself $200/night then.

Last edited by Dieuwer; Jan 16, 2021 at 3:24 pm
Old Jan 16, 2021, 3:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
In the below article it talks about Marriot moving toward Covid-19 testing. Not sure to what degree or exactly which hotels or even internationally. But, it talks about starting in January 2021.

https://news.marriott.com/news/2020/...nce-initiative
Old Jan 16, 2021, 3:58 pm

I think I will set my sights at cancelling and saving myself $200/night then.
You are cancelling because of the testing requirement or because of the lack of a free stay if you test positive?
Old Jan 16, 2021, 4:23 pm
Suspended

You are cancelling because of the testing requirement or because of the lack of a free stay if you test positive?
Probably a bit off both. And I'm getting less and less enthusiastic about Mexico.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.