Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 15, 2019, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Club 91 email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2020, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Europeanexplorer
True, but they actually deliver on the Elite recognition. As a Titanium, I am eligible for suite upgrades and I was given one without having to ask for it (despite the hotel being close to it’s allowed capacity). Breakfast here is USD25 for the buffet, so only marginally more than the upgrade fee at the JW Marriott. Service is on another level, as you say, and I much prefer the pool area.
I didnt know that the T&C allow for suite upgrades at RC. In my experience they dont usually upgrade to suites. I am titanium as well.
Also, not being able to use SNA, also makes me lean towards not staying at RC
Old Dec 20, 2020, 11:03 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by zagguru
I didnt know that the T&C allow for suite upgrades at RC. In my experience they dont usually upgrade to suites. I am titanium as well.
Also, not being able to use SNA, also makes me lean towards not staying at RC
True - it’s definitely hit and miss with the RCs and suites.

Just watch out with the SNAs at the JW Marriott: I could only select Premium Ocean View rooms for upgrades with SNAs three days ago. No suites were available for selection. Earlier reports suggest that they should be available so this may be a recent change.
hoipolloi likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Europeanexplorer
True - it’s definitely hit and miss with the RCs and suites.

Just watch out with the SNAs at the JW Marriott: I could only select Premium Ocean View rooms for upgrades with SNAs three days ago. No suites were available for selection. Earlier reports suggest that they should be available so this may be a recent change.
I was also able to select. Maybe try different dates and see if it allows u?
Old Dec 20, 2020, 11:22 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by zagguru
I was also able to select. Maybe try different dates and see if it allows u?
Yes, I was also able to select three weeks ago.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Yes, I was also able to select three weeks ago.
Very odd - maybe it is date specific over the 2020 holiday period? I don’t think I have seen that before.

I took a screenshot so I can share that later. Either way, worth checking (perhaps by booking a flexible rate) before anyone who wants to use SNAs commits.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 9:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, UA silver, Jetblue Mosaic
You guys are making me think I should choose the Ritz over the JW.... Is the JW really that bad? I chose the JW because it looks more updated and modern compared to the Ritz and the pool look better as well. Am I mistaken?
Old Dec 23, 2020, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by bknets88
You guys are making me think I should choose the Ritz over the JW.... Is the JW really that bad? I chose the JW because it looks more updated and modern compared to the Ritz and the pool look better as well. Am I mistaken?
I think it comes down to personal preferences and how you are booking the hotel. When I was staying, the RC was charging almost twice as much as the JW Marriott. Is it worth twice the price? I would say no. But if the prices were the same, or if I was booking with points (both hotels are category 6), I would choose the RC in a heartbeat. Here is why:

- Rooms: RC is a little more dated, but I found the JW's new furnishings cheap and already displaying significant wear and tear. My room at the RC was spotless.
- Lobby/public areas: RC is more dated (more so than the rooms), but both were well maintained.
- Service: I thought the RC was much better in this department. Staff were eager to help, chatty, far more polished and generally excellent at the RC. The same could not be said about the level of service I experienced at the JW.
- Pool area: RC felt more spacious, I could always easily order food/drink and I thought it also looked nicer (the JW pool area looks onto quite a worn-down wall of the hotel next door while the pool area of the RC just looks over the RC). The JW deckchairs are nicer and newer.
- Beach: Both are equally nice.
- Elite recognition: Better at the RC - I was given everything I was entitled to and some free drinks on top without asking for it. The same could not be said about the JW, which skimped on upgrades (and arguably breakfast, but let's not go there again).
hughjorgan likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 11:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
I was considering all the luxury hotels including JW Marriot. And to save myself disappointment and grief over celebrating my birthday for a week, I decided to just go with the westin on the far southside of the strip. Less people, still have view of the beach and get a $50 daily credit, which will cover a good dinner and drinks for one. And half the price. With the extra money saved I'll go down to Playa del Carmen for additional days.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 11:11 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Just finished another 5 night (Dec 29-Jan 3) stay at this resort. Paid with points and tried to use SNA’s which didn’t go thru. They did offer an upgrade to Caribbean suite for $100/night since I had used that option before. I took it since we were traveling with another family and used the living area as a place to chill at night with drinks and also as our New Years Eve celebration.

Breakfast — continental given and we upgraded to buffet every morning for $15 per person. They charged us 6 upgraded everyday and the kids under 12 were not charged. They had someone controlling the flow and servers handing out items from the buffet from Dec 31 - Jan 3. I think the hotel capacity drops after that date so they will open the buffet like normal.

They did not charge the resort fee since reservation was made before Jan 1, 2021. Any reservations made after Jan 1, 2021 will have the resort fee. Since members get free Internet already they offer ice cream or coffee at the store downstairs. Don’t know if that is daily or once only per room.

Check your charges at end of stay — they charged me for continental breakfast but took it off when I questioned it.

Pool area was like before COVID and even most restaurants in Cancun were packed. I am surprised my family didn’t get COVID after this trip. But all of us are in very good shape and have no underlying conditions so not too worried about it.

Beach was pretty much back to pre-COVID time with people enjoying and playing in the water.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 4:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
"I am surprised my family didn’t get COVID after this trip."

It takes about 7 days (usually 3-5) for symptoms to show up.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 5:08 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by anaggie

I am surprised my family didn’t get COVID after this trip. But all of us are in very good shape and have no underlying conditions so not too worried about it.
Well, as long as *you* don't die.
(Please quarantine and get tested; plenty of people in good shape have ended up in hospitals and morgues, and certainly have transmitted the disease to others. This comes off as super out-of-touch, even if you didn't mean it that way.)
margarita girl and spainlover like this.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Well, as long as *you* don't die.
(Please quarantine and get tested; plenty of people in good shape have ended up in hospitals and morgues, and certainly have transmitted the disease to others. This comes off as super out-of-touch, even if you didn't mean it that way.)
I just got back from the Yucatan after spending Christmas there and also New Years at a different location. I have been quarantining since and will be, which is easy since Mexico City is on lockdown. I've been using delivery service for food. I was kind of worried when I returned because all of of sudden I got some really bad chills and was scared to death I caught the virus. I took 4 elderberry capsules and whatever it was went away within that hour. But, yep, I was spooked for awhile. I'm done traveling for a long time.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by anaggie
Just finished another 5 night (Dec 29-Jan 3) stay at this resort. Paid with points and tried to use SNA’s which didn’t go thru. They did offer an upgrade to Caribbean suite for $100/night since I had used that option before. I took it since we were traveling with another family and used the living area as a place to chill at night with drinks and also as our New Years Eve celebration.

Breakfast — continental given and we upgraded to buffet every morning for $15 per person. They charged us 6 upgraded everyday and the kids under 12 were not charged. They had someone controlling the flow and servers handing out items from the buffet from Dec 31 - Jan 3. I think the hotel capacity drops after that date so they will open the buffet like normal.

They did not charge the resort fee since reservation was made before Jan 1, 2021. Any reservations made after Jan 1, 2021 will have the resort fee. Since members get free Internet already they offer ice cream or coffee at the store downstairs. Don’t know if that is daily or once only per room.

Check your charges at end of stay — they charged me for continental breakfast but took it off when I questioned it.

Pool area was like before COVID and even most restaurants in Cancun were packed. I am surprised my family didn’t get COVID after this trip. But all of us are in very good shape and have no underlying conditions so not too worried about it.

Beach was pretty much back to pre-COVID time with people enjoying and playing in the water.
I checked in on the 31st for 5 nights, but i do believe that I am going to get charged the resort fee since they went over with me all the stuff that is covered as part of the resort fee
Old Jan 3, 2021, 9:57 pm

Anyone have any documentation showing resort fees only apply to check in after 1/1/21?
Old Jan 4, 2021, 9:37 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
"I am surprised my family didn’t get COVID after this trip."

It takes about 7 days (usually 3-5) for symptoms to show up.
After our first night dinner at RosaNegra which was a full blown party with a show and everyone crammed together for a view of the show. Then it started raining and they moved everyone who was outside to the inside and there were probably 200+ people just in the main dining area and waiting area. It was crazy ...

I was sure we had caught it being so close to that many people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.