Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Old Jun 15, 2019, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Club 91 email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Old Jun 5, 2014, 10:13 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum; UAL Silver
Originally Posted by caseminole
Wow. None of this sounds all that good.

A 5-star hotel in a glamorous vacation spot, and top tier status, and all I can expect is a "possible" upgrade with a better room view and a dining credit?

I thought the benefits would be MUCH better than all that
We just stayed there in March on points (two rooms). Not wanting to take my chances for an upgrade, I went ahead and used points to upgrade to the Club 91 floor (top floor). We liked it. The views were great. Food was available for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Bar in the evening. Snacks throughout the day. Very good service from the workers to include booking activities.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
But it is relevant as far as upgrades to be expected.

And unfortunately booking a suite makes you harder to upgrade. Booking a standard no-view room makes all other options an upgrade.
This all makes sense. In this case, though, the suite is necessary because there are 3 of us, not 2, and in all honesty, the suite isn't THAT much more than a partial ocean view standard
Old Jun 5, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Not 100% about JW but casamagna next door has no resort fee. You get free internet and 2 morning coffees with plat status.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by SaintsFan
We just stayed there in March on points (two rooms). Not wanting to take my chances for an upgrade, I went ahead and used points to upgrade to the Club 91 floor (top floor). We liked it. The views were great. Food was available for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Bar in the evening. Snacks throughout the day. Very good service from the workers to include booking activities.
how many points did you use to upgrade to Club 91
Old Jun 5, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum; UAL Silver
Originally Posted by caseminole
how many points did you use to upgrade to Club 91
25,000 per night

Yes, I was sitting on way too many points.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Althought my Plat status did not get me much of anything when I stayed at the JW Cancun in 2011, overall, it was one of my best hotel experiences. Cannot wait to return.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by joshua362
Yup. I'm a long time Platinum Preferred and its hard to expect much...
Maybe if you were Lifetime Platinum Preferred it would help you a little more..Remember this is the Marriott program..Not Ritz Rewards..that might be better suited for you if your really looking to get rewarded.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by Horace
Be sure to ask about an upgrade.
This. Always be presently proactive about upgrades. I've seen some very nice ones at JWs.

Originally Posted by jr1202sr
I think the Marriott at Seaworld gives an extra 1000 pts and Grande Lakes JW gives you free parking.
As a Plat, Grande Lakes offered me a choice of free parking, food voucher, or points.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 1:28 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
I just tried to book a room four months out (6-9Feb2015) and was denied a room. Tried using points and a Platinum override. Was told to pound sand and wasn't offered an alternative. So much for a room guarantee benefit.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
I just tried to book a room four months out (6-9Feb2015) and was denied a room. Tried using points and a Platinum override. Was told to pound sand and wasn't offered an alternative. So much for a room guarantee benefit.
If the entire hotel has been taken over by a group, it may have applied & been granted an exception by HQ.

Cheers.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:44 am

Programs: MR PP & LT Plat, HH Diamond, WN A+ and CP, Avis First, National E+
Checked in yesterday as a PP. Had asked for an early check in, but the request was not honored. Booked a suite (rewards reservation + upgrade certs). Received a smallish mid-floor suite adjacent to a MAJOR remodel project. Sitting on my patio now enjoying the view but can't hear the ocean for all the construction noise. Asked to change rooms and was told that since I'm on a rewards stay the hotel was under no obligation to do anything for me. Asked for a call from the manager which has not yet happened - was told he's a very busy man. Very disappointed. Sorry for the rant, but might be a good guide to help manage expectations. I did everything I could on my end to insure a pleasant stay and it has yet to bear fruit.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by sleasure
Asked for a call from the manager which has not yet happened - was told he's a very busy man.
Probably fixing typos on his web site. He's certainly not proofreading.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...s-website.html

Sounds like rewards stay arrogance. Rare, but it does exist, probably more so at resorts. I've gotten great rewards stays as a PP but usually at FS/REN/RI.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:15 pm

Programs: MR PP & LT Plat, HH Diamond, WN A+ and CP, Avis First, National E+
Originally Posted by joshua362
Probably fixing typos on his web site. He's certainly not proofreading.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...s-website.html

Sounds like rewards stay arrogance. Rare, but it does exist, probably more so at resorts. I've gotten great rewards stays as a PP but usually at FS/REN/RI.
Lol, thanks for the laugh. It made me chuckle more than being hit by falling debris from the work being done above my balcony. /sarcasm.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 3:30 pm

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, Marriott Platinum
We stayed in two rooms (cheapest rate) at the same time (Nov. 22-28), the week the Mexican President was visiting for a conference. I am also platinum and had low expectations after reading reviews describing arrogant attitudes towards gold and platinum members. I found the service to be excellent, both rooms were upgraded at check-in, the receptionist remembered to hand out the arrival gift form, and internet use was complimentary. I considered Club 91, but the cost compared to ordinary rooms was at least 2x and there were always offers for free buffet breakfast (which was very good and varied - haven't tried Club 91 but, at least based on youtube videos, it didn't seem to have anywhere near the same selection). There was some construction going on which partially obscured the otherwise excellent view from the fitness center (windows were splattered with paint).
Old Dec 2, 2014, 7:26 am

Programs: UA 1K Marriott Plat SPG Gold
Plats also get 25% off at JW & CasaMagna restaurants, which can be useful if you don't want to go all the way to downtown to get decent meals at reasonable prices.

Spa services supposedly also have the 25% off too, but I only found out at checkout that it only applies to 50/80-minute services.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.