Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 15, 2019, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Club 91 email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2019, 3:50 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
While they waited until about 2 days before our trip, we were contacted by the Club 91 agents who then set up our airport shuttle. I
Old May 26, 2019, 8:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by hhoope01
While they waited until about 2 days before our trip, we were contacted by the Club 91 agents who then set up our airport shuttle. I

Thanks... Good info. As they hadn't reached out to me with four days to go, I reached out to them-but they told me I had to pay even though I had a C91 room with a 5 night stay. I sent a screen shot of room benefits and they responded apologetically telling me it was included.
Old May 27, 2019, 6:09 am

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Speedy Rewards Beverage Club
Provided you're booked into a Club 91 room, the airport transfers are included. You'll get an email from the club concierge a few days before arrival and provide them with your arrival info.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 11:47 pm

Location: Austin TX, AA Platinum for life (who will live longer, me or AAdvantage?)
Can you provide the Club 91 concierge email address?
Thank you!
Old Jun 15, 2019, 5:14 pm

This is the email they used for our communications: [email protected]
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Just finished a 5 night stay at this property by myself (stayed in january with family) and here are my thoughts on Club 91:

1) No upgrade as usual and they even got my elite status wrong upon check in
2) Airport transfers were included and they sent an email a few days before to confirm the timings
3) Breakfast in the lounge and not allowed to go downstairs -- the breakfast downstairs is way better. Way more choices downstairs.
4) The food presentations are a huge joke -- if someone considers this as high level food, your culinary tastes need to be improved.

The only saving grace to Club 91 is the 6-10pm OPEN BAR.

Honestly, do not spend your money on Club 91. The only reason I did it was the price difference between the regular room and the Club 91 room was like $30 per night. I also got a $100 credit to be used to per day which I did not use up completely and I was able to use it up at the gift shop picking up two bottles of top shelf tequila and some chocolates to take home. I ate lunch at the pol everyday and charged that to the room, the drinks, ice cream and so forth to try to us up the $100 per day credit. They will not allow you to use it to pay for the room.

Construction noise wasn't really noticeable.
bizum likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA- exec platinum;Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Platinum
Need help with deciding between JW Marriott vs Marriott casa magna, thank you ahead for help.
We will using points to book at both these properties during Christmas break. We have 5 Suite Night Awards to request for upgrade. The question is which hotel will be better for our ability to be upgraded? This will help with choosing amongst the 2. We like JW for the comfort , but it seems like Marriott casa magna is bigger , perhaps more suites ? Please help if you are experienced with these 2 properties. Also, if we ended up being declined for the SNA upgrade, can we request to have these move to next year 2020 , since it is end of year and we cannot use it. Or it is, use or lose ? Thanks . We are lifetime pLatinum elite
Old Sep 22, 2019, 7:12 am

Any recent stays?

We are thinking about coming here Spring Break. Any recent stays since construction/upgrades have been completed? We would be paying extra for Club 91.

Thanks
CSBM
Old Sep 22, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Originally Posted by CSBM
We are thinking about coming here Spring Break. Any recent stays since construction/upgrades have been completed? We would be paying extra for Club 91.

Thanks
CSBM
Both times I have been to this property, I wasn’t upgraded as an Ambassador Elite. If you read the thread, you will notice that upgrades are rare at this property.

The actual cost of Club 91 isn’t worth it unless you enjoy mediocre food. For that price, you can go to really good restaurants around Cancun and eat like a king. The hotel zone is safe and easy to walk around. There are some really good spots to eat near the hotel that will be cheaper than paying for Club 91. I would look for a daily rate that has a per day credit so you can use that up for food at the pool and/or breakfast.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by anaggie
I would look for a daily rate that has a per day credit so you can use that up for food at the pool and/or breakfast.
Having stayed there earlier this year, I would agree with this recommendation. I'd also check the rates at the other nearby hotels, but do note that the JW doesn't charge a resort fee (at least not yet that I know of), but the Marriott next door does.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 12:52 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Wyndham Diamond, Bestwestern Diamond & Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by hhoope01
Having stayed there earlier this year, I would agree with this recommendation. I'd also check the rates at the other nearby hotels, but do note that the JW doesn't charge a resort fee (at least not yet that I know of), but the Marriott next door does.
Any suggestions for 'other nearby hotels'? I am looking at staying end of Oct/early Nov 19 and never been to Cancun before.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 5:11 am

Are you planning on using points to stay or pay cash? From your profile it looks like you have elite status with a few different programs as well. For the most part most hotels/condos in the hotel zone area are nice and safe. So if you want to stay with one of the major chains to get elite benefits and/or use points, then I wouldn't worry too much about the difference between them as they all are fairly nice.

But with the proliferation of resort fees and the increase in award points required for awards, I've been moving toward being less focused on a single hotel chain and am starting to look at other non-hotel channels like airbnb and such. Granted you have to be a little more careful with some of those other options, but the price differences can be very, very striking. And again if it is in the hotel zone area right on the beach, you should be fine.
Stacycrow likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 5:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist; Hilton Gold; Marriott Ambassador; Delta PM; United Silver; Global Entry
This is true, but do note that the Hyatt properties are all-inclusive.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 1:04 pm

Does anyone know if the Grand Suite or Caribbean Suite are automatically part of Club 91? I applied an SNA to either of these room types (did not buy a Club 91 rate).
Old Jan 5, 2020, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer
Does anyone know if the Grand Suite or Caribbean Suite are automatically part of Club 91? I applied an SNA to either of these room types (did not buy a Club 91 rate).
Not sure on the Grand Suite, but I believe there are both Club91 and non-Club91 Caribbean suites. I was informed before I booked that any upgrade I may receive would NOT grant access to the Club91, even if it was a Suite upgrade - and Club91 is also not included in regular lounge access, so I am inclined to say that any suite upgrade you receive via SNA would NOT grant you Club91 access. YMMV. Club91 is more of an All-Inclusive add-on plan than it is "lounge access" so it makes sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.