Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 15, 2019, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Club 91 email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:09 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DAYflier
I haven't been on FT much lately...are the SPG lurkers still lurking?
Yes, their FT handles are now Marriott Bonvoy Lurker and Marriott Bonvy Lurker I, II and III.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by DAYflier
Just checked in yesterday. To help Bungvoy elites who have an upcoming stay here, the property honors the upgrade policy in a "funny" way.

4.3.c ii. of the Bungvoy T&Cs provides, at pertinent part, "Platinum Elite Members and above receive a complimentary upgrade to the best available room subject to availability for the entire length of stay at the time of check-in." (emphasis mine)

My wife and I (traveling with our 3 young children) booked into the Club 91 level (the food spread, by the way, has been lovely so far). When we inquired about an upgrade, we were assured we'd been provided one. But the upgrade we were given was a room with an "enhanced" view with balcony. I'll represent to you that every room in this joint has a great view with balcony...there are no "lagoon" or "garden" view rooms.

On the Bungvoy app, they were still selling parlor suites (they call it the "Caribbean Suite" - it's a bedroom with a separate living area). My wife went through at least two levels of management at the front desk to be upgraded in accordance with the unambiguous terms of the program. The best they would do to upgrade us to one of the available Caribbean Suites with an up-charge of about $500 for the entire stay. I spoke to Marriott CSR (I'm on vacation, so I thought I'd waste my time). She apparently called the property and then got back onto the line and advocated on behalf of the property. You see, the property only makes "available" enhanced view rooms as an upgrade for elites. This seems like a not-so-sneaky away around giving elites a complimentary upgrade -- especially when they claimed they would have given us the suite if we had applied SNAs in advance. If it's "available" for purposes of a SNA, then it should be available for a complimentary upgrade.

Sweaty, tired, and ready to get our vacation started, we begrudgingly took the $500 up-charge and moved into the suite. But this is another nail in the coffin for Marriott's and my relationship. They have to get these properties under control.

So, moral of the story, this property *does not* honor the upgrade T&Cs -- be aware if you have a stay planned here. Doing it over, I would have bought three interconnecting rooms for less money at the Westin Resort & Spa (or just moved over to the Hyatt Ziva and not had a bad taste in my mouth).
how is the construction noise at the moment?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: United 1P
For lounge access, which one is stricter on the number of people to get access, JW or Marriott? I am a Titanium member, but need to bring my mother with my wife plus kids to stay in a room. Thank you!

Last edited by kgkg; Apr 15, 2019 at 9:23 pm
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kgkg
For lounge access, which one is stricter on the number of people to get access, JW or Marriott? I am a Titanium member, but need to bring my mother with my wife plus kids to stay in a room. Thank you!
This property doesn't have a lounge eligible for status-based access, so... the JW is about infinite-% more strict

If you buy a lounge-eligible room, I believe it charges past the first 2 people in a room, something like 100USD/day+
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
This property doesn't have a lounge eligible for status-based access, so... the JW is about infinite-% more strict

If you buy a lounge-eligible room, I believe it charges past the first 2 people in a room, something like 100USD/day+
Thank you so much! They only offer continental breakfast for an elite member + 1 in restaurants, right?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kgkg
Thank you so much! They only offer continental breakfast for an elite member + 1 in restaurants, right?
That's the rule, correct - you might want to contact the property to ask how much breakfast for an additional child is, but the buffet price on the website is 28USD/adult

edit: here you go, from the rate rules - seems like 1 room gives access to club for 2 adults & 2 children, so you'd probably have to pay extra for your mom/wife if you book a club91 room

"
  • Club 91 is not a Concierge Floor, nor an Executive Level. A
  • rate with Club 91 access must be booked in order to take
  • advantage of Club 91 benefits.
  • *Rate for 2 adults and 2 children under 5 years old
  • *Children from 6 to 12 years old pay 75 USD plus taxes daily
  • *Guests from 13 to 17 years old pay 100 USD plus taxes daily
  • *Guests older than 18 years pay 125 USD plus taxes daily"
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:26 pm

Thank you so much!

That's the rule, correct - you might want to contact the property to ask how much breakfast for an additional child is, but the buffet price on the website is 28USD/adult

edit: here you go, from the rate rules:

"
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:40 pm

this hotel don't charge any resort fees for points stay, right? somehow I remember there's a review said they charge $20+ fees every day, but I can't find that review anymore and from their website I don't see fees, and can't find a hotel email I can ask

haven't decide which one to book J.W. or Westin for same 50K points, did Westin have Lounge then I can bring kids for breakfast?

Thanks!

edit: here you go, from the rate rules - seems like 1 room gives access to club for 2 adults & 2 children, so you'd probably have to pay extra for your mom/wife if you book a club91 room

"
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:52 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by ecgz88
this hotel don't charge any resort fees for points stay, right? somehow I remember there's a review said they charge $20+ fees every day, but I can't find that review anymore and from their website I don't see fees, and can't find a hotel email I can ask

haven't decide which one to book J.W. or Westin for same 50K points, did Westin have Lounge then I can bring kids for breakfast?

Thanks!
I stayed on points as well.
My experience was paying about US $7 in fees, per night, for 5 nights.
I confirmed that with Marriott, prior to leaving for Mexico. I recommend you do the same.

There was no other resort fee, user fee, or other bulls___.

Here was what my confirmation said:
Number of rooms 1 Room
Guests per room 2 Adults
Total for Stay (all rooms) 7.00 USD

A word about folios:
Whenever I have a cruise or resort stay, and I know I'm gonna rack up a lot of in-room charges, I always go to the front desk to ask for an interim folio, to avoid surprises at checkout.
The interim folio the JW Marriott gave me included a very large administrative charge every night. I asked the staff what the heck that was, and they said something like "that's a charge for all guests". I did not react well to that... it was thousands of pesos.
Turns out it was their internal billing rate for the room, and it shows up on the folio during the stay, and then someone has to remove it, and somehow I was supposed to know that.

If I could have, mid-stay, I would've moved to the Marriott next door rather than stay at the JW Marriott.

Last edited by jerry305; Apr 15, 2019 at 10:58 pm
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:09 pm

Thanks! I have a 7 night certificates need to burn so are comparing these two, J.W. is more expensive than Westin Lagunamar so CPP looks better Westin have kitchen in the room

Originally Posted by jerry305
I stayed on points as well.
My experience was paying about US $7 in fees, per night, for 5 nights.
I confirmed that with Marriott, prior to leaving for Mexico. I recommend you do the same.

There was no other resort fee, user fee, or other bulls___.

Here was what my confirmation said:
Number of rooms 1 Room
Guests per room 2 Adults
Total for Stay (all rooms) 7.00 USD

A word about folios:
Whenever I have a cruise or resort stay, and I know I'm gonna rack up a lot of in-room charges, I always go to the front desk to ask for an interim folio, to avoid surprises at checkout.
The interim folio the JW Marriott gave me included a very large administrative charge every night. I asked the staff what the heck that was, and they said something like "that's a charge for all guests". I did not react well to that... it was thousands of pesos.
Turns out it was their internal billing rate for the room, and it shows up on the folio during the stay, and then someone has to remove it, and somehow I was supposed to know that.

If I could have, mid-stay, I would've moved to the Marriott next door rather than stay at the JW Marriott.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
When I asked for an interim folio, front desk offered me the "courtesy" of billing my stay in US $ instead of MXN.
No thank you, I'll stick with MXN, I said.

I asked them to calculate how much my folio at that point would be in US $.
The hotel's "conversion" rate to US $ was 12% higher than market exchange rate.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jerry305
When I asked for an interim folio, front desk offered me the "courtesy" of billing my stay in US $ instead of MXN.
No thank you, I'll stick with MXN, I said.

I asked them to calculate how much my folio at that point would be in US $.
The hotel's "conversion" rate to US $ was 12% higher than market exchange rate.
That's the same literally anywhere if you ask any hotel/store/etc. to do the conversion for you instead of letting your CC provider do it, though.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:18 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ecgz88

Thanks!
no resort fee. Was there last week. $1.34/day environmental fee. My bill was spot on.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here now, no suite upgrade but I didn't see any available for purchase on the website either so they might just be full. I don't mind much, the view from our room is amazing as it is and right next to lounge on the top floor.

Welcome amenity was either CONTINENTAL breakfast for two in the restaurant, points or F&B amenity, we went for a bottle of wine & cheese & crackers.

Also two glasses of champagne upon welcome.

Unlike what I expected, you ARE allowed to bring drinks/liquor out of Club91, you just have to pour it from a glass into a to-go cup.

Also very positively surprised by how "empty" the place feels. We woke up fairly late, had breakfast and by the time we got to the pool at ~1030 there were still plenty of beachfront beds available.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Here now, no suite upgrade but I didn't see any available for purchase on the website either so they might just be full. I don't mind much, the view from our room is amazing as it is and right next to lounge on the top floor.

Welcome amenity was either CONTINENTAL breakfast for two in the restaurant, points or F&B amenity, we went for a bottle of wine & cheese & crackers.

Also two glasses of champagne upon welcome.
Don't forget to ask for your replacement benefit since I assume you're paying a resort fee that includes internet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.