Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Courtyard Singapore Novena [Master Thread]

Old Jan 27, 2020, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Old May 10, 2014, 5:24 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV

Construction site next to Novena Square Velocity now say Marriott Courtyard on it. 2018 opening date.
Old May 10, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott PP/LT Plat, Golden Circle Diamond
Novena is not the most convienient of locations for most major businesses but given how full the Marriott is all the time, suprised they went with a CY branded hotel. Clientele here easily supports a full-serice Marriott and would likely have little impact on the existing Marriott occupancy rate.
Old May 10, 2014, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Novena is actually getting lots of hotels. There are business here, it isn't any less convenient than Orchard to areas like Suntec and Shenton, and I suspect there are also families that stay in the area if they have lived ones in the hospitals here.
Old May 11, 2014, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Novena is actually getting lots of hotels. There are business here, it isn't any less convenient than Orchard to areas like Suntec and Shenton, and I suspect there are also families that stay in the area if they have lived ones in the hospitals here.
But unlike the other Marriott which is in about the most ideal spot you can get for a hotel, being located in Novena means they just get business travelers and tourists who don't know any better.

Who knows what Marriott had to pay for the land (proabably major factor in deciding where to build) but the best spots for hotels is the Raffles or Orchard area.

Novena is strange place for a CY IMO.
Old May 11, 2014, 11:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Where is Novena?
Old May 11, 2014, 11:56 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Where is Novena?
A little NE of Orchard Road area (two MRT stops away, IIRC).
Old May 12, 2014, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by dayone
A little NE of Orchard Road area (two MRT stops away, IIRC).
Which unlike the walking tourist areas like Raffles or Orchard, anything a visitor would want to do is a cab ride....
Old May 12, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by wethereyet
But unlike the other Marriott which is in about the most ideal spot you can get for a hotel, being located in Novena means they just get business travelers and tourists who don't know any better.
Why is getting business travelers a bad thing?

Cheers.
Old May 12, 2014, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wethereyet
Which unlike the walking tourist areas like Raffles or Orchard, anything a visitor would want to do is a cab ride....
Cab ride? An MRT ride of two stops puts you at Orchard and a bit more for other areas.

I live two buildings away from the Ibis Novena on Balestier and there are lots of tourists using the Ibis as a base and walking past my place, 800 paces, up to the MRT. Some as families heading out. Some with their suitcases heading to the airport (Typically Japanese of all ages). Some business travelers as well. And nearly across the street from the Ibis are the Day Inn and Ramada hotels.

The Courtyard location is about 200 steps until you are in the MRT.

Do I think being in a hotel on Orchard has benefits? Yes.

The Sheraton is at Newton and is further from the MRT than the Courtyard will be to the MRT. The Courtyard will also have the advantage of being right next to two large shopping malls.

But being two stops away and saving 100+ / night has some serious benefits to a lot of people.
Old May 12, 2014, 10:19 am

But being two stops away and saving 100+ / night has some serious benefits to a lot of people.
Good point.

Cheers.
Old May 12, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
The Sheraton is at Newton and is further from the MRT than the Courtyard will be to the MRT. The Courtyard will also have the advantage of being right next to two large shopping malls.
I've stayed at the Sheraton, and it's not particularly inconvenient.

This seems aligned with other CYs in slightly less than prime areas (Shanghai Puxi and Hong Kong come to mind), especially given the only other MR properties in Singapore are an RC and an FS.

I assume we're talking Asian standards for a CY here?
Old May 13, 2014, 9:13 am
Original Poster

So this is going to be on top of a health/shopping complex and is part of a master plan for a health city with components like additional health facilities and a healthcare school to be completed in 2020 and 2030. That adds to the existing local neighborhood which includes three shopping malls, three hospitals, a neurological center, CDC, gov't ministry and office space, including the Starwood regional contact center.

http://www.royalsquarenovena.sg/p/royal-square.html
Old Jul 10, 2017, 3:27 am

Programs: HH Dia;SPG Plat;Marriott Plat;GHA Black
The building is almost finished. I think they can make the September opening date

The location is quite good, just next to Novena MRT so going around will be easy.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:10 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
I like the Novena location. There are a few hotels already in the area and it's not inconvenient at all. You're close enough to Orchard without being in the crazy Orchard Rd jams. I mean, try walking around the Marriott on weekends (Sundays typically are crazy)... I would avoid that area. But that's for having lived in SG. I'm guessing tourists might like it.

CY is a good option. The only Marriott choices in town are way too pricey for the average tourist. Having a cheaper option is good. It could have been "worse" and be in Katong like the new HIE and Indigo. That area is less convenient unless you know how to navigate the bus systems.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:02 am

Hotel website:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...gapore-novena/

Opening September 2017. Cat 7. No info yet on website whether it has an exec lounge.

"Occupying the 22nd to 33rd floor of the Royal Square @ Novena mixed-use development, The 250-room Courtyard by Marriott Singapore Novena is strategically located at the doorstep of Health City Novena, directly linked to the MRT and only 25-minutes by taxi from Changi International Airport.

All rooms are stylishly designed, including full length bay windows that showcase breathtaking panoramic views of both the city and nature reserve. Guests can opt to dine at the hotel’s all-day dining restaurant, Sky22 which features modern European cuisine with distinct Asian influences, recharge at the Lobby Lounge or head up to the 33rd floor for cocktails with a gorgeous view at the Urbana Rooftop Bar.

The hotel also features two meeting rooms, and an outdoor rooftop infinity pool, executive lounge and fitness center."

Cheers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.