Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Marquis Washington DC [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
M Lounge open 24/7. On weekends evening food/drink service is not available Fri/Sat eve, but is open for breakfast Sat/Sun mornings. Per goodeats21: "During breakfast and evening hors d'oeuvres, there was a staff member posted at the door to check off names to ensure access was eligible."

Property Details: 16 floors, 1126 rooms, 49 suites

Hat tip to driggity: "I parked in the City Center parking garage a couple of blocks south on 9th. It was a relatively short walk and was $21 for overnight parking in an underground garage. I was there a Thursday through Tuesday and never had an issue with finding a spot when arriving between 4:30 and 6:30 PM. I didn't mind the walk and once taxes are included it was over $30 a night cheaper than parking at the hotel."

Per goodeats21: "lots of siren/traffic on Mass Ave. Light sleepers should definitely request atrium room. I was on 14th floor and it was still noticeable.

Easy access via connected hallway to convention center.

Closest Metro stop is "Mt Vernon Sq 7th St-Convention Center". Easy 5 minute walk to Marquis."

Also a lot of reports on TripAdvisor that people are gettingg back to their rooms late afternoon/early evening & the rooms haven't been cleaned yet by housekeeping.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2009, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver

Construction of new Washington Marriott Marquis starts October 2009 with projected completion in late 2013:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...080102225.html
Old Aug 4, 2009, 11:08 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat,SW, Hertz #1 Gold, Amtrak SP, jetBlue, et al
Cool......................not that they will ever have any great, summer-in-DC-and-no-one-is-in-town deals, BUT at least it is something to look forward to.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Interesting that they refer to the Marquis as "Marriott's highest-end chain". I thought the Marquis was perhaps a tiny step up from a standard FS Marriott, geared almost exclusively towards convention-goers. I certainly would think Renaissance and JW are positioned higher in the brand strategy...
Old Aug 6, 2009, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Not to mention Ritz Carlton.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Interesting that they refer to the Marquis as "Marriott's highest-end chain". I thought the Marquis was perhaps a tiny step up from a standard FS Marriott, geared almost exclusively towards convention-goers. I certainly would think Renaissance and JW are positioned higher in the brand strategy...
Renaissance is positioned in the same category as MHRS however at a different segment of the market. JW is a brand extension - Marquis isn't really a brand extension, it's more of a segment within MHRS
Old Aug 8, 2009, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
So what you're saying, Socrates, is that the Marquis is Marriott's highest-end chain if you include it as part of MHRS/JW and equivalent to Renaissance?

And you're right about Ritz-Carlton, aaupgrade, but I was going to give the reporter a "pass" on that one since I figured maybe the Marriott PR folks who undoubtedly spoon-fed him his facts don't go out of their way to highlight the Marriott-Ritz tie.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 12:46 am

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Brave souls initiating construction of a mega-property as hotel occupancy levels across the nation plummet to their worst levels in decades. With little recovery in site.

As an aside, the Marquis branding mentioned in this thread is new to me--the only one I know is in NYC. And that property strikes me as little more than a HUGE regular Marriottt.
Old May 1, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
The giant Washington Marriott Marquis opened today.

Fun facts: the hotel extends 92' below ground, as well as 149' above ground; it's the 4,000th Marriott hotel; and it incorporates original barstools from the first Marriott business (Hot Shoppes, a soda fountain that was about 25 blocks NW).

Photo gallery:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...ery.html#item0
Old May 1, 2014, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelexpert
Brave souls initiating construction of a mega-property as hotel occupancy levels across the nation plummet to their worst levels in decades. With little recovery in site.
Smart business. Like Warren Buffett says, when people get scared, get greedy; when people get greedy, get scared. Finished when occupancy rates are the highest in years, and room rates are double what they were 5 years ago.
Old May 2, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
Smart business. Like Warren Buffett says, when people get scared, get greedy; when people get greedy, get scared. Finished when occupancy rates are the highest in years, and room rates are double what they were 5 years ago.
Except according to this: http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...1f4_story.html

They've been trying to get this thing built for almost 25 years and 40% of the cost ended up being provided by public funding...
Old May 2, 2014, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GoPhils
Except according to this: http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...1f4_story.html

They've been trying to get this thing built for almost 25 years and 40% of the cost ended up being provided by public funding...
I think we're in agreement. Smart business to get tax dollars to pay 40% of associated cost... ^

Hmm, I think it was only 16 years. "The hotel, promised when the District broke ground on the convention center in 1998" <= from the article found at the link in post #1.
Old May 2, 2014, 12:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Getting back to more important things When someone stays there please do an update on what the exec lounge situation is on the weekends. Thx!

Cheers.
Old May 2, 2014, 5:23 pm

Programs: Hostelworld.com Diamond Plated Platinum
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Getting back to more important things When someone stays there please do an update on what the exec lounge situation is on the weekends. Thx!

Cheers.
I too would love to see that! Just booked a 1 br suite for 4th of July weekend on a BRG!
Old May 3, 2014, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Getting back to more important things When someone stays there please do an update on what the exec lounge situation is on the weekends.
Yes, and those updates should be posted in the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-weekends.html thread where they would be on topic. This thread's topic is about the construction of the Washington JW Marriott Marquis as noted in post #1. Thanks.
Old May 3, 2014, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
Yes, and those updates should be posted in the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-weekends.html thread where they would be on topic. This thread's topic is about the construction of the Washington JW Marriott Marquis as noted in post #1. Thanks.
Well as noted above, some folk would like overall reports re: the property, not just a generic discussion of when was/is a good time to build (for any hotel chain). But if that's important to you we'll leave you to it. For me it ranks right up there with how much do hotels get reimbursed by Marriott for stays. Answer is it doesn't matter/who cares.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.