Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Wilmington, DE [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2014, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL

This is big news for Wilmington, which has not had a new upscale hotel in many years. It's located in the Riverfront section of town, a short cab ride from most of the law and corporate offices downtown, but within walking distance of several major banking operations that have opened up in that neighborhood in the last decade. Very easy access to I-95, and 30 minutes from PHL.

Westin Wilmington
Old Apr 30, 2014, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA- EXP 3mm, Marriott Titanium(Lifetime), *wood Plat, Hertz Pres. Circle, *bucks Gold, Joan Ranger
Very good news.
Hope the rates move to sub 200 during week.
Nice alternative to Sheraton. Stayed there once, extremely nice staff.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:49 am

Has anyone stayed here since its opened? Is it in a more quiet location than the Sheraton next to I-95? And how is the plat treatment?
Old Nov 5, 2015, 6:17 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Anybody been here? How is Platinum breakfast being handled?

Thanks.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
Anybody been here? How is Platinum breakfast being handled?

Thanks.
Yes I've been there. Very bad, no Plat lounge, if you pick breakfast for benefit you get to enjoy their one course offering at Lobby Lounge. It's a decent but not great Westin.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 6:57 am
Original Member

Thanks
Old Nov 5, 2015, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I spent 6 months working about a mile away but chose to stay at the Sheraton South, about 5 miles away, instead.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:37 pm
Original Member

Any recent stays?
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Originally Posted by seawolf
Any recent stays?
Yes.

Nice hotel, good parking.

No upgrade (I have stayed here several times and never got an upgrade, there may not be anything to upgrade to, not sure). Typical nice Westin rooms

No lounge, but Plat breakfast offered. Two recent stays, the first was no problem, the second one I had to argue for the breakfast as I was staying on points

Breakfast was quite good - try the scrapple!

If you stay on points or plat cert, make sure you check-out and get a statement. They charged me even though I was staying on points. This has happened more than once

By the way, you should always plan to get to the hotel before dark; while the hotel itself is in a safe area, you must transit the hood to get there. I describe Wilmington as bankers by day, bangers by night!

Extremely dangerous city after dark:

http://www.newsweek.com/2014/12/19/w...me-290232.html

Last edited by dilbertsdaddy; Aug 10, 2017 at 8:21 am
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:27 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
Wilmington as bankers by day, bangers by night!
Thanks.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Gold and Current Platinum, Hilton Gold
Stayed one night over the holidays for a wedding - $103/night rate.

Wasn't particularly impressed by this hotel. Lobby is small, looks tired. The front desk staff were completely overwhelmed... had to ask about the platinum breakfast benefit. Speaking of, the next morning the breakfast took an hour and ten mins to be cooked - ordered an omelette and hashbrowns, nothing fancy (though it was delicious). Props to Shantell, our waitress, she was fantastic in what was an otherwise very difficult situation where other guests were so frustrated with the breakfast service they simply walked out. As others have mentioned there is no lounge that I am aware of.

I'd never been to Wilmington before so I didn't really know what to expect... the hotel seems to be in a nice enough area and convenient to I-95 and the Amtrak station, downtown, and businesses in the area. Based on the info I've seen there aren't many nice hotels in the city, so perhaps this is as good as one can do.

Last edited by Nash_Andrew; Jan 2, 2019 at 8:44 am Reason: Corrected a misspelling
Old Mar 7, 2019, 5:28 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by Nash_Andrew
I'd never been to Wilmington before so I didn't really know what to expect... the hotel seems to be in a nice enough area and convenient to I-95 and the Amtrak station, downtown, and businesses in the area. Based on the info I've seen there aren't many nice hotels in the city, so perhaps this is as good as one can do.
LOL. No. If you want a nicer hotel in Wilmington then book the Hotel DuPont.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:19 pm

The lack of hotels in Wilmington has always been shocking to me given the nature of the city. The new Residence Inn might be the nicest MR property, though that point earning level hurts...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.