Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Denver, Colorado

Old Aug 3, 01, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Location: Chicago, IL. Former UA PremEx, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond

I've done a search and seen that people generally like the Lounge here (always good), but I was wondering about room conditions and upgrade availability. I have to stay there in a few weeks, and always like to be prepared. Thanks in advance.

Also, how are the restaurants-or are there any good ones close by?
Old Aug 3, 01, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
The rooms are lacking - it is not my favorite property in Denver. You can get upgraded pretty easily, but I don't feel there is much difference in rooms.
Old May 14, 04, 10:23 am

Programs: UA, MR, AA
Which Marriott Property in Denver?

Going to Denver Aug 15-18th for the first time. Not even sure what we're going to do there (Rockies are out of town, so it won't be baseball).

Can anyone recommend which Marriott Property to stay at? Since I'm platinum, I want to take advantage at a Marriott or Renaissance property if possible. The Renaissance seems really cheap in comparison to the other properties, which kind of scares me .

Thanks!
Old May 14, 04, 4:29 pm

Programs: UNITED 1K (1 MILLION MILE FLYER), MARRIOTT PLATINUM,HILTON DIAMOND
The Rennaisance is out by the old Stapleton airport. Nothing to do there. Spend a little more and stay at the downtown Marriott. You will never run out things to do with The 16th Street mall nearby.God Bless
Old May 14, 04, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
My favorite is the Marriott by Park Meadows Mall. It has great beds, nice eatery, bar and I believe club level. The mall is ok, lots of bars close by, DTC right down the street, easy access to E470.
Old May 14, 04, 8:47 pm
glg

I stayed at that Renaissance one night right before xmas (got into town a day before my sister). Saw the cheap price and figured what the heck. I think there were maybe 3 rooms filled in the entire place. It was a little spooky. Was wondering what the deal was until I looked out in the morning and realized that the wide expanse of land nearby was (as MISSION pointed out) where Stapleton used to be. Had an aha! moment. I have to assume it's not always that dead, otherwise they wouldn't have kept it open all this time since the airport closed.
Old May 15, 04, 7:03 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
I don't want to hijack this thread but the previous post reminded me of a stay I had at the Brown Palace in Denver last Thanksgiving. For those not familiar with the hotel, it is a turn of the century property and outfitted that way, but very elegant. I was reviewing properties for a conference and was put up in a suite on the eighth floor. There may have been a total of four other guests in the place, and none on my floor. If you're familiar with the Brown Palace it is also supposedly haunted. Every time I went in our out of my suite, the elevator or the abandoned bar I kept my eye open for ghosts...never saw one though.

Now, back to your original question!
Old May 15, 04, 10:57 am

Programs: AA Gold & Marriott Gold
I'll second Mission's vote for the downtown Marriott. Very nice property and friendly staff. We live out in the Denver suburbs and stay at this property 3 - 4 times per year. Plus you'll find plenty to do downtown during the summer.

I know you want to stay at a full service property, but the downtown CY is very nice also. Located right on the 16th mall.

Interesting note on the CY; stayed there the night of St Pats and had to sign a document at check in stating that we would not have any loud parties. We're a mid 40's clean cut professional couple. Not sure what was up with that. Still a very nice property.
Old May 15, 04, 5:03 pm

Programs: Delta-Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott-Lifetime Titanium. Priority Club-Platinum
I dont know if this is anywhere close, but I would shy away from the Denver Tech Center Marriott. I have stayed their several times, as it is close to a client, but have had several sour experiences.

[RANT ON]
The one I am still bitter about is when they decided to hold a Classic Car convention in the parking lot. Do the math...100 classic car folk...each with Show Car, Trailer & large pickup truck. There was not a parking space in the entire hotel & valet was closed. When I went to the front desk to ask what the deal was, there were already a dozen paying guests ahead of me asking the same question. The manager hid in the back office, refusing to come out to speak to anyone, leaving the poor desk gal to deal with the mob. She told us they had arranged parking at a Chinese restaraunt two blocks away. Needless to say nobody was very happy. Why didnt they have the Classic Car folk setup there vehicles, then park the trailers & trucks two blocks away? Well...that would have taken prior planning, of which their was obviously none.
[RANT OFF]

Moral? Never stay at a hotel hosting a classic car show...unless your an exibitor!
Old May 15, 04, 6:35 pm

I've stayed in just about every Marriott in the Denver area, including Ren., CY. I have to vote for the Marriott Cednter Center. The manager hosts a reception every Wednesday evening, with free drinks and outstanding food. I recalled one of the receptions they served sauted walnut shrimp, beef tenderloin and scallop pasta.

On one of my stays there last year, I woke up late. I stopped by the lounge at about eleven am just trying to get a cup of coffee. The Conceige happened to be in there. He found out I had not have a chance to eat that morning; he insisted on making me a sandwich from whatever he had in the lounge at the time. ^ ^
Old May 17, 04, 7:22 pm

The downtown Marriott (near the convention center) is one of the best properties I have stayed in. On the other hand, the Courtyard at the airport is a great place because of the attitude of their staff. You won't go wrong in either.bb
Old May 18, 04, 8:31 pm

It doesnt get you as many points but I like the Residence Inn on Zuni.

I have to echo all the comments on the Stapleton Renaissance. Although the bar was a decent enough place to hang out, the neighborhood was a mess. My boss was banned from making travel arrangements for my team after he booked us there.
Old May 19, 04, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
The JW Marriott in Cherry Creek should be open by then. It'll be spankin' new and in the heart of the Cherry Creek shopping district. I'm thinking that will be your absolute best bet.
Old May 19, 04, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
The JW Marriott in Cherry Creek should be open by then. It'll be spankin' new and in the heart of the Cherry Creek shopping district. I'm thinking that will be your absolute best bet.
How far from the mall will this be? It does sound like a great location. You can have breakfast at the Tattered Cover.
Old May 19, 04, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Originally Posted by dingo
How far from the mall will this be?
Um, how wide is 1st Avenue? It's directly across.

Originally Posted by dingo
It does sound like a great location. You can have breakfast at the Tattered Cover.
...Indeedy. One block from TC. You can then have lunch at Capitol Grill, dinner at Indigo and drinks and dancing at Mao.

Last edited by DenverBrian; May 20, 04 at 9:19 am Reason: Silly me, it's 1st Ave, not 1st Street

Search this Thread
Search Engine: