Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Cleveland Downtown [Master Thread]

Westin Cleveland Downtown [Master Thread]

Old Oct 3, 2014, 11:08 am

Programs: SPG-plat, AirMiles-gold
I stayed here beginning of August. The overall experience was very good.

The look and feel of the hotel is very nice; It's beautifully decorated inside. The feel reminded me of the Diplomat, but not as big. I was upgraded (without asking) to a very nice one bedroom suite overlooking the waterfront. The lounge is two stories. Decent cold appetizers with meats and cheeses. Complimentary wine and beer. Breakfast is the standard continental fare. Valet parking was quick and easy.

I've stayed in all 3 SPG Cleveland properties including the 2 Alofts - downtown and Beachwood). This Westin offered a better experience for me, but I'm not a big Aloft fan.

A few glitches:
Some 'newness' on the front desk meant checking in was a bit slower than normal, but there was no lineup so I was fine.

I was taken for a ride on the elevator. It was possessed. Pressed an up floor button, it went down. Pressed a down and it went up. Then stopped for two minutes, then it decided to take me back to the lobby. Im marking that off as one of the few free rides you get in life.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 12:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
This property is very nice. More like a W in style than most Westins. Downside is $30/night parking, though you can self-park overnight in the Penton Media garage behind the hotel. You don't even have to go outside to get your car, there's a passage through the back of the hotel past Starbucks. I did the valet the first night, and it took awhile to get my car. Self-parked after that.

The suite was very well-appointed, dozens of power outlets, nice and comfy furnishings. It was a bit dark, could use better lighting. I did not have a lake view but didn't care.

The lounge, eh, wasn't that impressed other than the comp wine. There's no printer/PC in there nor on the first floor; they sent me to the 7th floor by the meeting rooms to print something out.

Service-wise, I had a good experience, though on checking in there was quite a delay because the clerk had really no idea what a SNA was, and disappeared for a good 15 minutes while she consulted with someone else, then made a big show of upgrading me. Well, the fruit plate and welcome card with my name on it in the room meant they'd already set it aside for me, so I have no idea what her problem was.

Other than that, great stay and great property. The attached restaurant is very good but also very expensive, one entree and a glass of wine will be over $50. There's plenty of other options within walking distance.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 12:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by born sleepy
This property is very nice. More like a W in style than most Westins. Downside is $30/night parking, though you can self-park overnight in the Penton Media garage behind the hotel. You don't even have to go outside to get your car, there's a passage through the back of the hotel past Starbucks. I did the valet the first night, and it took awhile to get my car. Self-parked after that.

The suite was very well-appointed, dozens of power outlets, nice and comfy furnishings. It was a bit dark, could use better lighting. I did not have a lake view but didn't care.

The lounge, eh, wasn't that impressed other than the comp wine. There's no printer/PC in there nor on the first floor; they sent me to the 7th floor by the meeting rooms to print something out.

Service-wise, I had a good experience, though on checking in there was quite a delay because the clerk had really no idea what a SNA was, and disappeared for a good 15 minutes while she consulted with someone else, then made a big show of upgrading me. Well, the fruit plate and welcome card with my name on it in the room meant they'd already set it aside for me, so I have no idea what her problem was.

Other than that, great stay and great property. The attached restaurant is very good but also very expensive, one entree and a glass of wine will be over $50. There's plenty of other options within walking distance.
i completely disagree w the lounge assessment. this is the best lounge i've been in for a westin or sheraton in the US. the only one that has free drinks (wine/beer/mixed drinks). the breakfast and evening food is great. they even had naked juice which is one of my faves.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 6:59 am

Many reviews on tripadvisor mentions that noise from elevators is a big problem at this hotel. Can anyone who has stayed in a suite tell me if the suites are far or close from the elevators? Cant find a floor plan anywhere on the web. I was thinking of trying an SNA here for an upcoming stay.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 9:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
this is probably my favorite domestic SPG hotel. the lounge is amazing. free drinks both wine/beer and mixed drinks. great appetizers in the evening. awesome breakfast including odwalla in the morning. if ever back in cleveland, i'd stay here again. this hotel rocks!
Old Mar 26, 2015, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by heakja
Many reviews on tripadvisor mentions that noise from elevators is a big problem at this hotel. Can anyone who has stayed in a suite tell me if the suites are far or close from the elevators? Cant find a floor plan anywhere on the web. I was thinking of trying an SNA here for an upcoming stay.
Stayed at this hotel last year. booked 2 regular rooms. both rooms were upgraded to a massive suites. I don't recall the name of the suite but they were far from elevators. no noise at all.
Great hotel. very good staff and excellent lounge.
Enjoy
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by heakja
Stayed here a couple of weeks ago, caught an upgrade to a suite with a lake view. No problem with noise whatsoever. Front desk staff great, Starbucks right in the lobby area, fantastic gym. Restaurant attached pricey and not as good as they think they are. loved the property and the vibe of the hotel.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by travel.flier
i completely disagree w the lounge assessment. this is the best lounge i've been in for a westin or sheraton in the US. the only one that has free drinks (wine/beer/mixed drinks). the breakfast and evening food is great. they even had naked juice which is one of my faves.
Hmmm...maybe one of the better that I've "seen", as in how it looks. But when I went down in the morning, there was 1 piece of bacon, no sausage, 1 bagel, a few pastries and eggs. The guy in the lounge said more were on the way, but not before I had to leave. It's a nice layout, but nothing special on the content/service.

The toilet in my room trickled for 20 seconds every 4-5 minutes, and there was what sounding like drilling going on every 15 minutes until about 2 am. And the walls are thin enouigh that I heard what was going on around me, and I heard hallway talkers all the way down the hall. I thought they were in my room when they passed the door.

The property looks great, service was fine - nice clerk at the front, valet was there when I needed it, etc...but getting a good night's sleep is my #1 goal, and it didn't pass that test (I crashed from 3:30-7p this evening when I got home).
Old Dec 28, 2015, 10:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by CPRich
Hmmm...maybe one of the better that I've "seen", as in how it looks. But when I went down in the morning, there was 1 piece of bacon, no sausage, 1 bagel, a few pastries and eggs. The guy in the lounge said more were on the way, but not before I had to leave. It's a nice layout, but nothing special on the content/service.

The toilet in my room trickled for 20 seconds every 4-5 minutes, and there was what sounding like drilling going on every 15 minutes until about 2 am. And the walls are thin enouigh that I heard what was going on around me, and I heard hallway talkers all the way down the hall. I thought they were in my room when they passed the door.

The property looks great, service was fine - nice clerk at the front, valet was there when I needed it, etc...but getting a good night's sleep is my #1 goal, and it didn't pass that test (I crashed from 3:30-7p this evening when I got home).
Could the drilling have been from the 24 hour construction at the Hilton across the street?
Old Mar 8, 2016, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by born sleepy
Downside is $30/night parking, though you can self-park overnight in the Penton Media garage behind the hotel. You don't even have to go outside to get your car, there's a passage through the back of the hotel past Starbucks. I did the valet the first night, and it took awhile to get my car. Self-parked after that.
This is the ticket - pun intended. The garage referenced by born sleepy is now labeled AECOM parking (set nav to 1301 E 6th) although receipts say Penton Media. 'Overnight' rate was posted at $12 but somehow my 5PM to 6:30AM parking fee was $17. It still beats the valet - and it's both covered and attached, key attributes in a Cleveland winter. (Added: in December 2016, the AECOM garage is posted as closed on Saturdays and Sundays.)

The fancy dual-level toilets can have intermittent filling noises as mentioned up-thread.

Take a moment and set fan speed when you enter the room. Three is high and noisy and one might not need that airflow rate thru the night.

The gym may be better than typical hotel standard but it doesn't have 1/4 the stuff available at the aloft Cleveland Downtown which gives free guest access to a club space in the building.

Last edited by 3Cforme; Dec 13, 2016 at 5:50 am
Old Aug 10, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
What's the best option for weekend parking now that the AECOM garage is closed on weekends?
Old Jul 8, 2018, 6:37 pm
hts

Programs: AA EP, USAir Chairman, MR Lifetime Plat
This is my preferred property when I visit CLE for business. As others have mentioned, the basement gym is very good, the two-story concierge room is excellent with a gorgeous view of the lake and rock and roll HOF, the hosts in the club go above and beyond to serve, the rooms are decent (i probably get a comp upgrade 50% or so of the time), and I haven't had any issues with the valet.

I haven't eaten in the property restaurant and am not too sure what else is near by. Unfortunately it's sold out tomorrow so I'm staying at the Aloft for the first time (first stay ever at any Aloft property, so not really sure what to expect). Wish me luck, lol.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:29 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Stayed here two nights the day after Thanksgiving and the hotel was very good (as all my past stays have been as well). I had emailed my ambassador ahead of time to request a suite upgrade for my parents, while our second room was a connected room with 2 queen beds for my brother and I on the 15th floor facing the lake. At check-in I was recognized as a PPE+A, and given a $25 credit to use in Urban Farmer (which I hadn't received before).

We headed to the lounge for the open bar happy hour, which has 4 beers, 2 red and 2 white wines, all free of charge. There is no mixed drinks available (free or pay). Food offerings for both happy hour and breakfast are a bit weak, but perfectly fine for nibbles. The lounge attendant in the evenings is very friendly, and was talking with all the guests, offering dinner suggestions, things to do, etc. to those from out of town (our family were local most of our lives, so we offered suggestions too).

Urban farmer had a great beer and cocktail selection as usual, and we had a few bites there one night as well (oysters and another app I forget).

We spent much of the rest of the time watching the Ohio State game at Market Garden (excellent brewery in Ohio City), meeting with friends for dinner at "The Plum" (great restaurant/bar just down Lorain Ave from Ohio City), and enjoying cocktails at "The Marble Room".

Overall, a great stay, and continues to by my go-to hotel when in downtown Cleveland for work or pleasure.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 10:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
This property is on the verge of foreclosure and could close as early as next week. The developer is behind on debt payments, taxes, and payments to Marriott. This article also notes the owner hasn't sprung for ongoing maintenance.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by CLEguy
This property is on the verge of foreclosure and could close as early as next week. The developer is behind on debt payments, taxes, and payments to Marriott. This article also notes the owner hasn't sprung for ongoing maintenance.
uh oh

David

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.