Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ritz Carlton Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2019, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from May 2018:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...-recovery-2624
Print Wikipost

Ritz Carlton Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:29 pm

We just booked 5 nights here for Jan 2020. Tried for the Suiran but it wasn't available on any of the days we wanted. Is there a way to upgrade the room by paying? Is it worthwhile?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Anlun
We just booked 5 nights here for Jan 2020. Tried for the Suiran but it wasn't available on any of the days we wanted. Is there a way to upgrade the room by paying? Is it worthwhile?
Congrats on snagging that booking at the 60k rate. I have asked to pay to upgrade and they've been okay with that. I was quoted the difference in paid rates between the deluxe room and the room you want to change to. I think the luxury river room is worth it.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:26 am

Made a booking prior to the switch over on points advance... seeing the 340k rate now. Hoping i can get it retroactively fixed.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:57 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Welcome to FlyerTalk, glendroid!
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Welcome to FlyerTalk, glendroid!
Thanks fam. I’ve been a long time lurker and now that I’m travelling more... I thought it was time to sign up and contribute. Just finished a stay at the St. Regis Bali and I am currently at the Conrad Bali. Really hoping to get to try out the RC Kyoto next year...
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by glendroid

Thanks fam. I’ve been a long time lurker and now that I’m travelling more... I thought it was time to sign up and contribute. Just finished a stay at the St. Regis Bali and I am currently at the Conrad Bali. Really hoping to get to try out the RC Kyoto next year...
You'll enjoy this one. What season will you be going in?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Congrats on snagging that booking at the 60k rate. I have asked to pay to upgrade and they've been okay with that. I was quoted the difference in paid rates between the deluxe room and the room you want to change to. I think the luxury river room is worth it.
When I asked the rooms manager they gave me the difference between what Marriott pays them for the basic room vs the actual suite selling price. I obviously rejected that and they didn't respond.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
When I asked the rooms manager they gave me the difference between what Marriott pays them for the basic room vs the actual suite selling price. I obviously rejected that and they didn't respond.
Not sure what you mean here. The amount Marriott pays is either a small amount to cover housekeeping if occupancy is below ~95%, or an amount that is roughly the rack rate if occupancy is above that. There is no way for the hotel to know right now what they're going to be paid for your award stay. If you were quoted the latter figure, that's in line with what I said I was quoted.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Anlun
When I asked, it was 5000yen per night to upgrade to Garden view or 20000yen per night to upgrade to luxury room which is a river view and bigger room I believe. We decided to stick with two rooms of the deluxe and hoping for an upgrade for at least a few days since we have platinum on one room and titanium on one room. We’ll be going in 2.5 weeks for 7 nights then again Jan 2020 for 7 nights.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
My deluxe room with city view was around the same size as the luxury room with river view.

all in all, both rooms were spectacular.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
My deluxe room with city view was around the same size as the luxury room with river view.

all in all, both rooms were spectacular.
we are Titantium, booked five nights in November. Thinking of upgrading to Garden view from the base room, 33050 yen in total. Worth it?
Old Mar 9, 2019, 12:00 pm

I wouldn't pay in advance to upgrade, as there's not a lot of difference between the room types. The only worthwhile upgrade in my opinion is the River View, simply for the views of the river, which you'll get free of charge as Titanium (space permitting).
musicscrip likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes

we are Titantium, booked five nights in November. Thinking of upgrading to Garden view from the base room, 33050 yen in total. Worth it?
Not worth it. You won't even spend enough time there to justify those rates and not a lot of difference between them either.
musicscrip and nexusCFX like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Not sure what you mean here. The amount Marriott pays is either a small amount to cover housekeeping if occupancy is below ~95%, or an amount that is roughly the rack rate if occupancy is above that. There is no way for the hotel to know right now what they're going to be paid for your award stay. If you were quoted the latter figure, that's in line with what I said I was quoted.
It was something like this.
Regular Room at $900/night
Suite Room at $1800/night

Instead of offering a $900 buy up they were asking for over 1500.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Had a wonder stay here recently, arrived just before cherry blossom season so it was not quite as busy. As Titanium, was offered room type upgrade and on high floor as per profile preference. Not suite per se, but very large room (would not expect this during actual cherry blossom season when they would probably be fully occupied). There are quite a few activities you can do such as go on a bike ride of Kyoto with staff, hiking, dress up in a kimono and walk around the area, etc. Service is thoughtful and anticipatory, even more so then I've had at other Ritz-Carltons and Four Seasons elsewhere. The location next to the river is great and really put me at ease compared to some busier part of the city.

The other thing where the properties goes above and beyond is breakfast, which I received as a Titanium member. Both the Japanese and western breakfasts (the latter is a buffet) were delicious and especially the baked pastry items from the Pierre Hermé Paris Boutique on-site is to die for (and makes a great gift if you are visiting your Japanese colleagues).

The last rather amusing thing I encountered at checkout was seeing some bratty DYKWIM (and only a lowly Platinum at that) throw a hissy fit at not getting an upgrade because this is the Ritz-Carlton, even pulling out some ...... OTA (which one isn't?) to show the front desk there's some room they demanded to be upgraded into, and generally unbecoming behavior at a place as nice as this. Absolutely shameful behavior on the part of the guest but the staff took it in stride and was gentle but firm with them.

10/10 would stay again
bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.