Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ritz Carlton Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2019, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from May 2018:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...-recovery-2624
Print Wikipost

Ritz Carlton Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by THR
Anyone have any opinions on three adults at RC Kyoto?

We would be booking for 2 or 3 nights (award booking); myself/partner (sharing a double) and a friend.

Just not sure whether it would be too small for three.
Just finished a 3 night stay there. Had an extra bed for the 3rd person. The 3rd person charge at this property is 20k Yen which is higher than it's companions in Osaka.

Felt it was fair since being PPE we get breakfast for all 3.

We fit perfectly fine, I'm not sure what your standards are but it seemed okay to me considering how small generally hotel rooms usually can be in Asia.

The basic rooms however are not as spacious as RC Tokyo which has an abundance of space.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Just finished a 3 night stay there. Had an extra bed for the 3rd person. The 3rd person charge at this property is 20k Yen which is higher than it's companions in Osaka.

Felt it was fair since being PPE we get breakfast for all 3.

We fit perfectly fine, I'm not sure what your standards are but it seemed okay to me considering how small generally hotel rooms usually can be in Asia.

The basic rooms however are not as spacious as RC Tokyo which has an abundance of space.
I contacted the hotel regarding adding 3rd adult in one of our room and it’s FREE if the stay is on points and the 3rd adult also receives free breakfast since one of the 3 has plat premier.
txpenny likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by musicscrip

I contacted the hotel regarding adding 3rd adult in one of our room and it’s FREE if the stay is on points and the 3rd adult also receives free breakfast since one of the 3 has plat premier.
You're right it's free! The charge on my card was only pending.

Wow I'm impressed.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:19 am

Just got back from a two night stay last week - can confirm they give breakfast to Platinum Elite (not just PPE), as well as two drink coupons for a special menu at the bar. We had to ask for an upgrade which I wasn't entirely pleased about as they had plenty of available rooms (it made for a very awkward check-in experience which I can elaborate on if anyone is interested), but the desk manager was very apologetic after the fact and even paid for our taxi to dinner. We ended up with a river view room which was stunning - the hotel and staff during our stay were wonderful. I HIGHLY recommend the activities team - we did a sunset hike and it was amazing. The hike itself was actually quite challenging up Mount Daimonji, but the views were breathtaking. They took our photo on at the top of the mountain and when we checked out, they had put the photo in a lovely wooden frame and written us a beautiful card! If anyone is interested in pictures, let me know.

Location: Very good. 5 minute walk to several subway stations, 10 minute walk to Gion, 10-15 minute walk to downtown Kyoto/Nishiki Market

Room: Lovely and spacious. The bed was very comfortable. Excellent turndown service, plenty of water/tea/coffee for the Nespresso. Due to the odd check-in experience we actually saw several rooms, and while the river view was largest the others were very nice as well.

Amenities: Used the gym, pool and sauna facilities. The pool is great. The locker rooms had big soaking hot tubs, which we enjoyed.

Dining: We thoroughly enjoyed our breakfast, which had fresh pastries from the Pierre Hermé bakery on-site. I ended up purchasing a half dozen raspberry croissants to go. The several drinks (both from the welcome menu and off the regular bar) were very well done. We saw the tea service several times, and I regret not doing it.

Activities: As stated, you should really take advantage of this if you're on the fence (especially the complimentary ones!). Both the sunset hike and AM bike ride to Fushimi Inari are highly recommended. There was also a free art walk-through with a guide of all of the art in the hotel. If we had more time, we certainly would have taken advantage of this as well.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by jmj10
Just got back from a two night stay last week - can confirm they give breakfast to Platinum Elite (not just PPE), as well as two drink coupons for a special menu at the bar. We had to ask for an upgrade which I wasn't entirely pleased about as they had plenty of available rooms (it made for a very awkward check-in experience which I can elaborate on if anyone is interested), but the desk manager was very apologetic after the fact and even paid for our taxi to dinner. We ended up with a river view room which was stunning - the hotel and staff during our stay were wonderful. I HIGHLY recommend the activities team - we did a sunset hike and it was amazing. The hike itself was actually quite challenging up Mount Daimonji, but the views were breathtaking. They took our photo on at the top of the mountain and when we checked out, they had put the photo in a lovely wooden frame and written us a beautiful card! If anyone is interested in pictures, let me know.

Location: Very good. 5 minute walk to several subway stations, 10 minute walk to Gion, 10-15 minute walk to downtown Kyoto/Nishiki Market

Room: Lovely and spacious. The bed was very comfortable. Excellent turndown service, plenty of water/tea/coffee for the Nespresso. Due to the odd check-in experience we actually saw several rooms, and while the river view was largest the others were very nice as well.

Amenities: Used the gym, pool and sauna facilities. The pool is great. The locker rooms had big soaking hot tubs, which we enjoyed.

Dining: We thoroughly enjoyed our breakfast, which had fresh pastries from the Pierre Hermé bakery on-site. I ended up purchasing a half dozen raspberry croissants to go. The several drinks (both from the welcome menu and off the regular bar) were very well done. We saw the tea service several times, and I regret not doing it.

Activities: As stated, you should really take advantage of this if you're on the fence (especially the complimentary ones!). Both the sunset hike and AM bike ride to Fushimi Inari are highly recommended. There was also a free art walk-through with a guide of all of the art in the hotel. If we had more time, we certainly would have taken advantage of this as well.
Thanks for the detailed review! Post pics if you can!

Now I am going to email them to book the free hiking and biking, I wonder if they can accomendate our 2 toddlers under 5y.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by musicscrip

Thanks for the detailed review! Post pics if you can!

Now I am going to email them to book the free hiking and biking, I wonder if they can accomendate our 2 toddlers under 5y.
They could probably arrange the Japanese bike baby seats for the bikes with prior notice.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
This is a little odd, but I will probably be cancelling a 5 night award booking here for Apr 29 to May 4 since I was able to get a booking at Suiran Kyoto. Based on some checks I was doing a few months ago, I'm pretty sure the hotel has overbooked the base level city-view room, so this may not open up a room for an award booking, but it's possible that it may so if anyone is hoping to stay around that time but couldn't get a reservation send me a PM.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:40 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
This is a little odd, but I will probably be cancelling a 5 night award booking here for Apr 29 to May 4 since I was able to get a booking at Suiran Kyoto. Based on some checks I was doing a few months ago, I'm pretty sure the hotel has overbooked the base level city-view room, so this may not open up a room for an award booking, but it's possible that it may so if anyone is hoping to stay around that time but couldn't get a reservation send me a PM.
Not odd at all! We’ve stayed at both hotels, and both hotels are amazing. But we also would opt for the intimacy and better authenticity of Suiran, not to mention the fact that we vastly preferred the more outskirts/less touristy Arashiyama location of Suiran over that of the RC.

We also were at Suiran and the RC a week later this year than you will be next year. Perhaps you’ll luck out and see the sakura. Just be aware that it will be Golden Week in Japan for your stay, so crowds will be at peak and there will be almost no chances for upgrades at either property.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Urgh... 2 nights Suiran + 2 night Ritz (in which order?)? or 5 nights Suiran OR 5 nights Ritz for the same price? I'm spoilt for all these choices, anyone have recommendations?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:25 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Martellus
Urgh... 2 nights Suiran + 2 night Ritz (in which order?)? or 5 nights Suiran OR 5 nights Ritz for the same price? I'm spoilt for all these choices, anyone have recommendations?
Since it seems just as relevant here for your query, here is what I shared in the Suiran master thread about my comparison/contrast after our stays at both Suiran (first 5 nights) and RC (last 2 nights) while in Kyoto in May 2018. I hope it helps you!

In the end, however, I don’t think you can go wrong. Both hotels are amazing. It really comes down to personal preferences and your own priorities.

Originally Posted by bhrubin
We stayed 5 nights at Suiran and 2 nights at RC Kyoto in May of this year. Both are amazing hotels, so you really can’t gro wrong. My reviews are posted to the Luxury Forum.

Suiran:
https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...g-service-2621

RC Kyoto:
https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...-recovery-2624

While we loved both hotels, we still much preferred and still yearn most for Suiran—but to each, their own. We did pay to upgrade from our award room to the Presidential Suite at Suiran. We were upgraded at no cost from our award room to the Kamogawa Suite at the RC Kyoto.

We much preferred Suiran’s more outskirts, out-of-the-way, more suburban/neighborhood-feeling, less touristy Arashiyama location on the more remote feeling Western side of the city. Others may prefer the RC’s more eastern, city feeling, more touristy, and certainly closer location to many of the most popular temples/shrines/gardens and restaurants in the city. It was only about a 30-35 min drive across the city between the two properties, however.

We much preferred Suiran’s hybridized arrangement blending authentic Japanese ryokan elements with a Western hotel. Suiran was quite unique in that regard. Others may prefer the RC being a proper Western hotel.

We much preferred Suiran’s smaller size with only 39 total rooms. Others may prefer the RC being a more proper hotel size with more rooms, more room and suite options, and many different restaurant outlets, let alone a proper spa.

Food and beverage were amazing at both hotels, but there is more restaurant choice that also is more easily accessible at or near the larger and closer to the tourist center RC. That being said, we loved the smaller, out of the way restaurant options near Suiran in Arashiyama. But note that most retaurants in Arashiyama close around 8 pm, so choices are more limited.

We plan to return to Suiran. We loved the RC, but we were truly swept away by Suiran in a way that might be most personally applicable only to us and those who travel more like us.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Martellus
I could also opt for 2 and 3 but I don't think it ends up being worth an extra 60k points, or losing the free night with 2 and 2.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:46 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
I could also opt for 2 and 3 but I don't think it ends up being worth an extra 60k points, or losing the free night with 2 and 2.
Now you understand why we did 5 award nights at Suiran AND 2 award nights at RC.

I recommend 5 nights at one or the other for exactly those same reasons. You always can go back again!
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:58 pm

For paying guests only?

Originally Posted by txpenny
It is a platinum benefit of the hotel.
no mention of this during my recent stay, which admittedly was an awards based stay - however this in no way detracted from the RC Kyoto being both my fiancée and i’s favorite hotel EVER.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by ScottishBloke

no mention of this during my recent stay, which admittedly was an awards based stay - however this in no way detracted from the RC Kyoto being both my fiancée and i’s favorite hotel EVER.
Did you ask? I have an email from the staff telling me I will get it on my stay which is a 5 night award stay.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:48 pm

Sadly, No...

I am pretty new to PPE and didn’t even think of it. The hotel went out of their way to do so many other things for us, reading the post surprised me. I’d have thought they’d have mentioned the benefit. I’ll be better informed in future.... otherwise I can’t say enough good things about the hotel - we felt like we were on an ‘early’ Honeymoon - we certainly fell in love with Japan and especially Kyoto.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.