Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Is it normal for server to ask for tip at Sheraton Club Lounges?

Is it normal for server to ask for tip at Sheraton Club Lounges?

Old Mar 11, 2014, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat,United Plat,Avis First
Question Is it normal for server to ask for tip at Sheraton Club Lounges?

I'm staying at Sheraton Suites near the Galleria in Houston and this property was renovated last year with new Club Lounges. It seems like the servers at the lounges are giving people bills and expecting tips. I feel embarrassed not to leave any but I normally just take food back to my room so I don't think I've received a lot of service.

This is the only property I know that does this and I am just curious if other people have encountered this at other properties?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 5:37 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Sakurachan
I'm staying at Sheraton Suites near the Galleria in Houston and this property was renovated last year with new Club Lounges. It seems like the servers at the lounges are giving people bills and expecting tips. I feel embarrassed not to leave any but I normally just take food back to my room so I don't think I've received a lot of service.

This is the only property I know that does this and I am just curious if other people have encountered this at other properties?
I've seen this at several properties with Club Lounges, both Starwood and others.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 5:48 pm

Programs: United 1k, SPG Plat & Ambassador, ClubCarlson Concierge
I stay there all the time and i have noticed this as well. Sometimes i tip a few bucks cause i can expense it, otherwise i just sign and leave it zero.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 5:51 pm

Club Lounge Servers do not make a tip wage like Room Service and Restaurant Servers, so there should be no expectation to tip as their earnings don't depend on them. Don't tip these servers unless they do anything extraordinary. Simply fulfilling the duties required of them is not enough reason to demand a tip. I am surprised that hotels allow this to happen.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 5:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, Sakurachan!

I am just curious if other people have encountered this at other properties?
I've seen this only in the past year or so. Unfortunately, it's a growing cancer and makes me less inclined to tip.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:22 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Saw this during the evening service at the Westin Chicago River North as well, where everyone was given bills at the end (which, unless you ordered drinks from the bar, was always $0).
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:33 pm

At the Sheraton Hotel & Towers in Chicago some of the servers give comment cards that you can include gratuity on. I've also seen people leave cash at the tables before. I can see leaving a tip if you ordered drinks and/or actually got served, but I don't think standing in line to plate your own food and going down to your room warrants tipping.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:40 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
It happens. The Diplomat gives everyone blank cards that one can put a tip amount on and have it billed to your room. There are other hotels (as others have mentioned) that give you $0 bills.

I tend not to tip unless I get something other than basic lounge service. If I serve myself everything, I don't really see a need to tip. If I get service (special request, alcoholic beverage, specialty coffee, etc...) I do leave a tip.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:47 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver
I have noticed that when I order a glass of wine in a Sheraton lounge, the total includes a service charge (similar to room service) above the price of the glass as well as a space to leave a tip. My quandary is always whether to tip when they have already collected an 18% service charge....
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:54 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Originally Posted by travelerp
I have noticed that when I order a glass of wine in a Sheraton lounge, the total includes a service charge (similar to room service) above the price of the glass as well as a space to leave a tip. My quandary is always whether to tip when they have already collected an 18% service charge....
Where have you experienced this? (So I can avoid the same experience.) I guess I've been lucky, even where I've been charged in a lounge for alcohol, I've never experienced a mandatory service charge.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:23 pm

Sheratons in Seattle and San Diego (by the airport) have been doing this for years.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, MARRIOTT AMBASSADOR LIFETIME TITANIUM
How do all of you think the food appeared? Set up of plates, etc. Give them a tip. They rely on it to earn a living.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
I'm staying at Sheraton Suites near the Galleria in Houston
LOL.... saw the title of this thread and the first thing that popped into my head is I've only seen that at the Sheraton Suites Galleria in Houston and it really annoys me... How I ironic when I click and see the content!

I've stayed there a dozen or so times in the last few months. Between evening snacks & breakfast I've noticed it is only a couple of the employees that do it - not everyone who staffs the club lounge prints out the $0 bills. They are also very inconsistent with handing them out... seem to just get them to those folks that they can catch before exiting the lounge. Clearly a grab for tips.

I'm not fan of it. Annoys me and actually makes me not want to leave a tip. I'm of the camp that these folks are just doing their job. Unlike a restaurant server they aren't held to artificially low wages with the expectation of tips supplementing.

PS... Speaking of the Sheraton Suites Galleria Lounge... has anyone else noticed how frustrating their coffee crafts are during the breakfast service? The spigot is so high on the craft it can be half full of coffee, yet you can't get any out
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by puntamita
How do all of you think the food appeared? Set up of plates, etc. Give them a tip. They rely on it to earn a living.
Do you tip the cashier at your grocery store or the butcher? How do you think all that food got there?

I find it ridiculous to tip someone that is barely serving you to begin with.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:47 pm

You: "Here's a tip for you: It is never ok & normal to ask for tip!"
Leopardz likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.