Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Is it normal for server to ask for tip at Sheraton Club Lounges?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it normal for server to ask for tip at Sheraton Club Lounges?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2014, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by puntamita
I think the thread has been one of the most entertaining thread in years. I have laughed a lot. Off topic or not. Also helps me understand people that are selfish. Hope that $2 or $3 makes a big difference in your life. The staff might not be making minimum wage but a lot less than most staying at the hotel. If they are giving you a slip to write in a tip, they are asking for a tip. If the hotel is giving them the slips to hand out, then probably they expect guest to supplement their salary. You show the hotel by not tipping the people that need it. Great job.
Almost as great as your attitude. Really, -- try to keep it constructive and respectful, even if you disagree.

I don't understand why we should single out hotel employees. Do we have an obligation to tip all employees who, objectively, are underpaid? Flight attendants are historically and notoriously underpaid, especially given that in an emergency they're responsible for keeping us alive. What about police officers? They risk their lives daily so that we can enjoy ours safely. They are underpaid. I think that in addition to everything else, there's a huge slippery slope problem here, which invites employers to pay inadequate wages and let the customers make up the difference.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Mar 13, 2014 at 10:48 pm Reason: Fix minor grammar problem.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 8:32 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Punta.....can you repeat yourself one more time? Filthy habits that should not be spread.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
By the way, sorry for my poor English. I'll try to improve it for communicating efficiently.

Sometimes I want to explain my opinion clearly but I don't know how to express it in English. So I ended up posting in a very short sentence.

You do a better job than some folks born in the US. I am serious.^
Old Mar 14, 2014, 1:37 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
I thought mandatory service charges in hotels were meant to be shared for everyone including those cleaning the dishes and wiping tables at club lounges.

Isn't tipping meant for someone who has gone over and above their normal duties and has personally satisfied a guest?

I would definitely tip a bellman getting me a cab or carrying my luggage...i just dont see why i should tip in a lounge where most is done through self-service....unless someone has made me a really wicked drink/s or has personally served me by asking me what i want and bringing food on my table.

Btw, i've seen these itemized 0$ bills in developing countries but i was told it was for record keeping and accounting purposes especially when alcohol is involved (e.g. egypt) so it's just not in north america and i dont believe it's some sort of 'hidden agenda' by mgmt. to force/coerce guests to tip extra.

Last edited by supatight80; Mar 14, 2014 at 5:38 am Reason: wrong thread
Old Mar 14, 2014, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by glx
I'm a gay man and I prefer to give more than just the tip.
Oh dear dearie me.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 4:35 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by supatight80
Btw, i've seen these itemized 0$ bills in developing countries
+1 and also in developed countries in Asia.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 5:51 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by remymartin
With all due respect - is it normal for a club lounger to take food back to his room?
I'm curious about this as well and was my original question before i read the 'cheese' incident in the lounge...Is this the norm and if so, which continent? (Honest non-sarcastic question as different culture, different crowd, different reaction).

If it's ok, i wouldnt mind doing it myself as i would be saving considerable amount of money from room service and minibar consumption.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 9:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Is this the norm and if so, which continent?
I've seen it on every continent I've visited. I will sometimes take a piece of fruit back to my room, and will often take bottled water (because they never put enough in the room).
Old Mar 14, 2014, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Well the nurse who has several years training and some valuable skills and who might earn less than the hotel waiter before even considering tips doesn't - almost all salaries are low in developing countries, not just those of people employed in the hospitality industry.
[/I]
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
The problem here is that the logical extension of that argument is that women should be prostitutes. "Compensation" is about more than money.
I would very much love to be led through the thought process that logically leads from the quote you highlighted to the conclusion that women should be prostitutes - I don't see it but perhaps by being enlightened I might consider a career change.

And as I am a bit lost in your logical extension could you clarify whether they are based on the assumption that nurses = women

Last edited by 3544quebec; Mar 14, 2014 at 12:20 pm
Old Mar 14, 2014, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I've seen it on every continent I've visited. I will sometimes take a piece of fruit back to my room, and will often take bottled water (because they never put enough in the room).
Ok understood. So basically within limits then. Yah ive seen that many times and it didnt bother me one iota. And this is way OT, but on one experience i shall never forgot at sheraton malpensa last nov 2013, i saw a lady put a lot of food in her black handbag and when another guest saw what happened, she decided to 'hide' an opened champagne bottle inside her jacket and immediately left with her husband. (Self service lounge, no one manning the station).

I kinda thought it was really tacky to do so, especially the champagne bottle bit. Was my impression of what occurred unjustified?
Old Mar 14, 2014, 1:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I kinda thought it was really tacky to do so, especially the champagne bottle bit. Was my impression of what occurred unjustified?
I'd say those people defintely went "above and beyond" the limits of good taste.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Ok understood. So basically within limits then. Yah ive seen that many times and it didnt bother me one iota. And this is way OT, but on one experience i shall never forgot at sheraton malpensa last nov 2013, i saw a lady put a lot of food in her black handbag and when another guest saw what happened, she decided to 'hide' an opened champagne bottle inside her jacket and immediately left with her husband. (Self service lounge, no one manning the station).

I would have said something.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
I would have said something.
Well there were only four of us in the lounge...the couple, the lady, and myself...If i would have said anything, they could probably gang up on me and tell me to mind my own business.

Unfortunately no staff was there at that time, and when one did arrive eventually after the incident, she went into hiding behind the scenes.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Well there were only four of us in the lounge...the couple, the lady, and myself...If i would have said anything, they could probably gang up on me and tell me to mind my own business.

Unfortunately no staff was there at that time, and when one did arrive eventually after the incident, she went into hiding behind the scenes.
I didn't mean say something to them, I meant say something to the folks taking items.

Thats what video cameras are for. I've taken picture/video of more than a few situations, to prove me point.

For me, personally, I wouldn't worry about someone "ganging up" on me. But I would have taken a pic and informed the hotel.

Having said that, did you say anything to management?
Old Mar 15, 2014, 10:32 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
the Sheraton in Orlando also had a paper bill with a tip sheet. UGH the way its going I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.