Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Courtyard Sha Tin, Hong Kong [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 7, 2017, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Take the A41p bus. It runs up to midnight and is basically door to door. Only 3 stops & you can see the hotel from where you get off.
Print Wikipost

Courtyard Sha Tin, Hong Kong [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by BruceWG
Hi - Am I reading this to mean that I may bring one guest into the lounge or to breakfast for free, but they will have to pay for breakfast/evening snacks?
1 guest, in addition to the elite member, so 2 total will get the free breakfast.

CY ST does not place a restriction on where you go to breakfast. You can either or and both.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by BruceWG
Hi - Am I reading this to mean that I may bring one guest into the lounge or to breakfast for free, but they will have to pay for breakfast/evening snacks?

Thanks,
Bruce
Normal member + 1 gets lounge access and breakfast for free. The downstairs buffet is surprisingly extensive but the hotel is *very* popular with mainland tour groups and so it can be bedlam and if you don't want random people sitting at your table when you get up to replenish your plate (as happened to me there) then you may want to forgo the experience and wide selection of breakfast items and head to the lounge.

It's an excellent Courtyard - better than the one on HK Island IMO - but the rate needs to be ~HK$1000 or redeem points. I've seen the rate climb up to nearly HK$2000 when they're clearly full of tour groups and at this kind of rate you're better off elsewhere.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium Elite, United LT 1M Gold
Thanks both. Right now I'm trying to book 5 nights on points; I can get the first 4 but the 5th is not available although I can book a paid night. Have to work on it.

Thanks,
Bruce
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:15 am

Programs: AC 100K, Bonvoy Titanium, National Exec Elite
I've not posted on FT for a while, but I must say this Courtyard is the best one I've ever been to. This is very much a Courtyard that functions almost like a Marriott. Anyway, several comments that might help others...

- I feel like I'm in the "suburbs" of HK; I've stayed at W and Sheraton on my previous HK visits so definitely way different here in a wonderful way; and saving a lot of $ or points too vs. W or even Sheraton
- Shek Mun station is 3 blocks away, 5 minutes walk
- hotel offers their own shuttle to 3 hubs throughout the city: Sha Tin New Town Plaza (i.e. big mall, buses, shuttle for Zhuhai Macau HK bridge MTR), Elements (i.e. big mall, connects airport express and other MTR lines), Tsim Sha Tsui
- the best walking entrance is to look for McDonald's and its side door is right beside them
- rooms are clean and decent pool, gym, and facilities
- service and attitude of staff has been great
Happy, littlevoices and ftrichard like this.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 11:19 am
alc

At the end of Aug, the web site state the lounge will close until further notice. Now the message change to state guests that have lounge as breakfast privileges will have breakfast at the MoMo Cafe.

Anyone know if they are just renovating the lounge or close for good. Anyone stay here in the recently weeks that might know?

Willl be staying here during x'mas and in the past experience, breakfast at the MoMo Cafe during any holidays period is like a zoo.

Thanks
Old Sep 29, 2019, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by alc
Anyone know if they are just renovating the lounge or close for good.
Probably renovation.

As one of the cheapest Marriott in Hong Kong (I believe the other one is Le Meridien Cyberport), if Nam Fung Group (operator) decides to close the lounge, then CY ST will be the only Marriott in Hong Kong that does not have a lounge.

Even with a less ideal location, CY ST attracts many Marriott elites staying there, because of the perks and pricing. So I hardly see the lounge is being closed.

(FWIW - IMHO, you won't miss much even it is closed for good anyway, except for the view.)

Originally Posted by alc
Willl be staying here during x'mas and in the past experience, breakfast at the MoMo Cafe during any holidays period is like a zoo.
MoMo Cafe is always a zoo regardless.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 1:14 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Since we'll be staying there just after New Year, I've immediately contacted the hotel. This is the response:

Greetings from the Courtyard by Marriott Hong Kong Sha Tin!

Our Executive Lounge opens from 06:00 - 00:00 daily , we didn't serve breakfast there for now as our Momo Cafe is just renewed & we would like our guests can have better / more food choices & have better service at our Momo Cafe. Our lounge will still have the happy hour time from 17:30 - 21:30 daily.
Translation: providing breakfast in the lounge is more expensive and we'll try to see if we can get away with "just" providing breakfast in the restaurant.

I'm writing "just" because obviously breakfast in the restaurant is much superior to what can be provided in the lounge. However, the lounge will be more quiet and much faster if you just want to grab something and be ready to leave for the day.

This time I hope they'll continue to have this arrangement until we're staying there since we'll be staying for leisure with enough time to enjoy an extensive breakfast.

HTB.
hkmark likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by htb
Since we'll be staying there just after New Year, I've immediately contacted the hotel. This is the response:

Translation: providing breakfast in the lounge is more expensive and we'll try to see if we can get away with "just" providing breakfast in the restaurant.

I'm writing "just" because obviously breakfast in the restaurant is much superior to what can be provided in the lounge. However, the lounge will be more quiet and much faster if you just want to grab something and be ready to leave for the day.

This time I hope they'll continue to have this arrangement until we're staying there since we'll be staying for leisure with enough time to enjoy an extensive breakfast.

HTB.
To be fair to the place, I don't think they get many elites there (you'll see why at breakfast in Momo cafe) and the buffet is huge and good quality so you're not missing anything. You can still grab and go downstairs. When you see the hoards, you may want to. I'm sure you're right that it's not worth them providing breakfast in the lounge but I wouldn't view this as something to complain about because if they did provide it then it would not be as extensive as the buffet downstairs. Now, if they roped off a section of the Momo Cafe for elite guests like they do at Le Meridien Bangkok then it would be a perfect arrangement. Although I'm sure the rope would be trampled and ignored in about 10 minutes if they did try to do this. The CY HK does not by default give the option for elites to go to the buffet and their lounge breakfast is merely adequate despite being quite busy. For the number of elites in Sha Tin you're much better off in the buffet. Just be prepared to defend your table against squatters.

I still find it great that this is a Cat 2 in HK that provides extensive alcohol and some food in the evening for elites if not a meaningful room upgrade (at least not when I've stayed there).
Happy likes this.

Last edited by ftrichard; Oct 1, 2019 at 10:01 am
Old Oct 1, 2019, 5:40 am

The lounge serves a subset of breakfast which you could found in MoMo Cafe. Therefore, this should not affect you at all. Consider other Marriott hotels usually not provide elite free breakfast in main restaurant, this instead should be a good move. I had stay there for the last 2 months, I agree the environment in the lounge was way better than MoMo. and I opted to eat in the lounge always becoz staff's services and never need to found/ wait for seats.

The hotel's occupancy was seriously affect by recent events in Hong Kong, I suspect closing the lounge for breakfast was another way for cost control. It still long way till New Year, things will change, no need to worry too much
Old Oct 1, 2019, 2:38 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by ftrichard
To be fair to the place, I don't think they get many elites there (you'll see why at breakfast in Momo cafe) and the buffet is huge and good quality so you're not missing anything.
For the number of elites in Sha Tin you're much better off in the buffet. Just be prepared to defend your table against squatters.

I still find it great that this is a Cat 2 in HK that provides extensive alcohol and some food in the evening for elites if not a meaningful room upgrade (at least not when I've stayed there).
I think I meant to say pretty much the same thing. If I have the time to enjoy the buffet, Momo is much nicer.

Last time I was there (probably around 7 years ago) the lounge was closed for renovation and they had a room reserved at the back of Momo for their elites. That wasn't too bad either.

As I said: this time (New Year) I would even prefer to get access to Momo for breakfast. So I hope it will stay that way until then.

HTB.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by htb

HTB.
Few guests use the lounge for breakfast which has a much more limited options than downstairs. I am all for the hotel not to set up the limited breakfast at the lounge that just set there with a few takers - then the foods left over - what do you expect the hotel might do with those foods?

If if you are in a hurry just grab a server at MoMo and tell him or her your situation - they would be happy to get the few items you want and pack you a box. I have seen someone has done just that. Our experiences have been if you go at near 9, the tour group crowds would thin out a lot. Also there are tour groups from Japan and Korea, not just the mainlanders. Matter of fact last Nov when we stayed there for multiple stays we saw more Japanese tour groups and individuals than mainland tourists. There were some business travelers from South Asia as well. A guy wanted veggie dim sum that were not on the big bamboo basket, he asked a staff for it. The elder woman staff went to kitchen to grab him some pieces. The staff there is very accommodating.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 3:20 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
I did a staycation here (I live in HK at the moment), as we wanted to be close to Sai Kung (diving, junk place) for two days at the weekend, and amusingly when you consider the current pricing (~700HKD a night) it is about the same as a return taxi to HK island. Being locals we got there on the MTR/public transport system, and its a reasonably close walk from Shek Mung station, and left in a car (plenty of taxis around at 8am, though we got an uber out). The hotel feels brand new and is huge, recognisable in the local area.

Felt elite recognition, after the super slow check-in (no reason for this, seemed to be a consistent problem for all guests), was reasonable, as a Titanium guest:
  • Upgrade to a club king room from my cheapest rate, was on the 29th floor with a room looking onto the river and the same view as the lounge (on level 30)
  • Executive lounge had a reasonable spread in the evening (cheese, noodles, pork dumplings, fruit, deserts, other small nibbles) and it included free sparkling wine (not champagne)
  • Welcome fruit bowl (small, 3 items, but better than nothing) delivered shortly after we checked-in
  • Breakfast at momo cafe is way better than anything in the lounge, and was a good spread with Western and Eastern foods, including an egg chef and noodle station

As this is a Courtyard and in HK (with the protests), dirt cheap - if you wanted you could easily drink and eat your room rate as an elite vs going out. Plenty of people did however seem to have this plan, which meant that the lounge was packed (aka no spare tables, people sitting on chairs, which we had to do) at both 5.45pm and 7.30pm (we went out for dinner inbetween), which is a bit of a shame.

We ate at a local restaurant near the MTR station (a roast meat restaurant), which was very local but the manager spoke perfect English to guide us through the menu (no picture menu available). It isn't on google maps but was listed by openrice (local dining app/website) as being popular. Note the local restaurant choice isn't huge unless you don't mind local HK type places, but if you were worried about that there is always a large McDonalds right below the hotel (lobby is about 3 floors up).

Overall felt it was a very reasonable stay, well priced (at the moment) and convenient if in the area. There was a shuttle bus to get you to Kowloon and other nearby places that might make it a bit more convenient, but it certainly isn't for tourists in HK unless you really want to save money and are willing to spend a long time on the public transport system.
lsquare and asovse1 like this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by littlevoices
I did a staycation here (I live in HK at the moment), as we wanted to be close to Sai Kung (diving, junk place) for two days at the weekend, and amusingly when you consider the current pricing (~700HKD a night) it is about the same as a return taxi to HK island. Being locals we got there on the MTR/public transport system, and its a reasonably close walk from Shek Mung station, and left in a car (plenty of taxis around at 8am, though we got an uber out). The hotel feels brand new and is huge, recognisable in the local area.

Felt elite recognition, after the super slow check-in (no reason for this, seemed to be a consistent problem for all guests), was reasonable, as a Titanium guest:
  • Upgrade to a club king room from my cheapest rate, was on the 29th floor with a room looking onto the river and the same view as the lounge (on level 30)
  • Executive lounge had a reasonable spread in the evening (cheese, noodles, pork dumplings, fruit, deserts, other small nibbles) and it included free sparkling wine (not champagne)
  • Welcome fruit bowl (small, 3 items, but better than nothing) delivered shortly after we checked-in
  • Breakfast at momo cafe is way better than anything in the lounge, and was a good spread with Western and Eastern foods, including an egg chef and noodle station

As this is a Courtyard and in HK (with the protests), dirt cheap - if you wanted you could easily drink and eat your room rate as an elite vs going out. Plenty of people did however seem to have this plan, which meant that the lounge was packed (aka no spare tables, people sitting on chairs, which we had to do) at both 5.45pm and 7.30pm (we went out for dinner inbetween), which is a bit of a shame.

We ate at a local restaurant near the MTR station (a roast meat restaurant), which was very local but the manager spoke perfect English to guide us through the menu (no picture menu available). It isn't on google maps but was listed by openrice (local dining app/website) as being popular. Note the local restaurant choice isn't huge unless you don't mind local HK type places, but if you were worried about that there is always a large McDonalds right below the hotel (lobby is about 3 floors up).

Overall felt it was a very reasonable stay, well priced (at the moment) and convenient if in the area. There was a shuttle bus to get you to Kowloon and other nearby places that might make it a bit more convenient, but it certainly isn't for tourists in HK unless you really want to save money and are willing to spend a long time on the public transport system.
​​​​​​Unfortunately I got to the hotel at about 8 PM so no chance to check out the evening food in the lounge. From what you posted, the food seem similar to CYHK, which was pretty disappointing. I've seen and had better at the CYs in the Mainland.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 9:27 am

Programs: Emirates Silver, Marriott Platinum... Previously AC*SE100K, Star Alliance Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador
I also had a stay-cation here for a few days and in my opinion it was pretty good for the price. The Momo breakfast spread is also amazing.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
I've stayed at this hotel 3-4 times, my first stay was a month after they opened. I've always been pleased with the service and the breakfast offerings. The lounge has a nice view, particularly at night.

The only downside is the location, there's an MTR station a relatively short walk away, but to get to Central it requires two transfers, so the travel time is non-trivial.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.