Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ritz-Carlton Bachelor Gulch Beaver Creek, CO [Master Thread]

Old Feb 11, 2014, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: GMoneyCO
Hotel Website: Ritz Carlton Bachelor Gulch Beaver Creek

Parking Fee:

$60 USD

Resort Fee

The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch assesses a resort fee per room, per night. A daily resort fee of USD $35 during summer season and USD $55 during winter season will be added to the room rate

Amenities and services encompassed in our resort fee include:

Winter Resort Fee

Wired and wireless high-speed Internet access in guest rooms and public areas
Local and toll-free phone calls
Use of the state-of-the-art Fitness Center, group fitness classes, swimming pool and whirlpools
Access to The Bachelor Gulch Spa sauna, steam rooms and wet therapies
Game Room featuring coin-free arcade games, ping pong, foosball and more
Ski-in/ski-out valet services and overnight equipment storage
Shuttle Transportation services to and from Beaver Creek Village with transfer service available to Arrowhead Village
Point-to-point transportation to and from Avon (subject to driver availability)
Snowshoe equipment
Evening marshmallows at the Fire Pit
Half-day in Ritz Kids (ages 5- 12) with 24 hour advance reservations (Based on availability, excludes Kids Night Out and Ski Nanny).
In-room Refreshment Bar, replenished daily
Family nature activities provided by Hotel Naturalist

Summer Resort Fee

Wired and wireless high-speed Internet access in guest rooms and public areas
Local and toll-free phone calls
Use of the state-of-the-art Fitness Center, group fitness classes, swimming pool and whirlpools
Access to The Bachelor Gulch Spa sauna, steam rooms and wet therapies
Game Room featuring coin-free arcade games, ping pong, foosball and more
Shuttle Transportation services to and from Beaver Creek Village with transfer service available to Arrowhead Village
Point-to-point transportation to and from Avon (subject to driver availability)
Preferred tee times at Red Sky Ranch Golf Club
18-hole Bachelor Gulch Disc Golf Course
On-site recreation, including bocce ball, badminton, horseshoes and more
Evening marshmallows at the Fire Pit
Half-day in Ritz Kids (ages 5- 12) with 24 hour advance reservations (Based on availability, excludes Kids Night Out).
In-room Refreshment Bar, replenished daily
Family nature activities provided by Hotel Naturalist

Club Lounge (separate room category): The Club Lounge at The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch is an inviting, well-appointed space accessible only to our Club Level guests. This oasis is often referred to as a hotel within a hotel, where a dedicated and resourceful concierge attends to individual needs. With exclusive amenities, continuous culinary offerings throughout the day (breakfast, light lunch, aprs ski, evening hors d' oeuvres, beverages and sweets) and access to a computer station.

Platinum and Above Benefits: Virtually none outside of a rare change at a room upgrade.
Print Wikipost

Ritz-Carlton Bachelor Gulch Beaver Creek, CO [Master Thread]

Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
Staying there for a weekend in August. $50 a night parking on top of a $30 night resort fee? After paying a hefty price per night. That is absurd (yet, looks to be unavoidable if you want to stay at this property...).
Old Nov 21, 2017, 12:34 pm

Rooms go right now January 1st-3rd 2017 1800-2000+

There is still rewards availability during this time and perhaps even after the 3rd. I spent 140k Marriott rewards plus 400 per night to stay there during this time. It's a great bargain in my opinion.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) | National Exec Elite | Global Entry | HH Silver
I just completed a 3 night stay at the property and was very underwhelmed this year. A group of friends and I have made skip trips to the Bachelor Gulch Ritz for the past several years and while the service in past years has been inconsistent at times, this year's service was downright poor in many areas. We checked in on Friday morning and out midday Monday, avoiding peak check-in/out periods.

Here are a few of the things we ran into this year:
-- Our bags took far too long to reach our rooms, 30+ minutes. We had to call and ask where they were before they were brought up
-- At times the staff were rude and unhelpful. We requested a late check out on Monday to get some skiing in before we left and were told "No". We later found out the hotel wasn't near full occupancy on Monday night and our rooms weren't needed.
-- The hot tubs were not working correctly multiple days in a row (broken jets).
-- We could not get sheets for the pullout sofa in the room. We called the desk multiple times and were told "the elevator is broken, we can't bring them up to you".
-- Amenities in the grotto were broken as well (lose rails on the stairs in/out of the hot & cool pools, broken speaker in the steam room, hot water issues in one of the showers, etc.)
--The hotel car service was problematic. We made a reservation early in the day to be taken into Edwards (~10 min drive from the hotel) for dinner and we got a call late in the afternoon after the car had been scheduled that it was 'too far' for the driver. After bringing up the situation to the concierge, they were surprised we were told this as it's well within the radius the car services.

In talking with other guests in the hot tubs, they mentioned they had similar challenges.

We brought up these challenges and others as they were encountered with hotel management and they did their best to correct them and make amends (comped drinks and parking) but these issues should not come up in the first place at an established hotel and one of Ritz caliber. I'm not sure if this is a management issue, if there are a lot of new employees, or if something else is triggering the inconsistent service,

I want to like the Bachelor Gulch Ritz with all it has to offer but the inconsistent service the past couple of years has me looking at other options in the Beaver Creek and Vail area for our ski trips until things get back to what I remember form the early years of visiting the Ritz.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
staying for five nights here starting tomorrow. Let's see how they treat us.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mintcilantro
Would love to read your update.
emanon256 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mintcilantro
Looks like there is nothing other than mountain view for PP to upgrade to. They only have rooms with club access and suites above that. Neither is available for comp upgrade. There is no breakfast benefit to RC either.

Hope some FTers can post first hand experience.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:09 pm

We got nothing in terms of elite benefits. The hotel claimed they were full on days of my trip (Jan 1 to 6). The app didn't show any rooms available other than 1 BR residential suites. You will have to pay resort fees.

The room is classic decor and nice but not over the top. The bathrooms are very nice. The ski valet is awesome. They help you put your boots on and will take your skis to the lift if you request. Restaurants can be slow if it's full. The wait time for food was very long. I waited one morning for breakfast and then I never ate breakfast at the sit down restaurant as I value my ski time more than a nice breakfast.

The parking fee is I think around $50 per night. It's not easy to get here without a car thoguh. The airport shuttles are more expensive than a rental car so it makes sense to do a one way rental from Denver to Eagle airport or to the Enterprise location in downtown Avon. You won't need the car while you are here. I think it makes sense to enjoy what this property has to offer rather than waste your time going elsewhere. The great room is pretty awesome. They had live music every night. The spa area is really good too. Overall the property is very good. They have paid a lot of attention to detail and the classic lodge architecture has been used even in the spa area and the railings for magic carpet.
There are some complimentary activities like yoga, morning stretch, cookie decoration. The shuttle service is really good and it takes you to the Beaver Creek Village area. I only went to Beaver Creek base area because I had a group lesson. Other days I took the lift outside the hotel and went to other parts of ski area.

There is a game room more appropriate for older kids and teenagers. They don't charge for the tokens. There is nothing for small kids though. This property wouldn't be ideal if you are coming with small kids. You would be better off staying at the Beaver Creek lodge (available on marriott points). The green slopes here might not be appropriate for people skiing the very first time.

I think it's a great use of 60k points per night if you are good skiers. Happy to answer any specific questions.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you, mintcilantro, for your detailed update.^ Where else can you go for breakfast? Bachelor Gulch looks kind of isolated.

I wish RC can provide some elite benefits but I suppose 60K points is a good value during ski season anyway.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
Originally Posted by TerryK
I wish RC can provide some elite benefits but I suppose 60K points is a good value during ski season anyway.
60K is a great deal! Last time I stayed during ski season it was 80K! We go here every year, it is amazing!! And it is pretty much sold out all of ski season. They did have a few issues during management change a while back, and I am still upset when they massively increased their summer prices, but the service seems to have improved. I still miss the old lounge, old restaurant, and old Buffalo Bar. Its too modern now in my opinion.

They do have a snack/breakfast bar in the lobby during breakfast with burritos, bagels, coffee, etc. I've also had luck with the restaurant putting together a mixed fruit tray to take to the room for a very reasonable price. And make sure you go to Cookie hour in the lobby, their cookies are amazing and known around the world! The staff have some pretty fun stories about the cookies.

In my 10 years staying there, as a Platinum, and now PP, we never got any upgrades or benefits. While sad, the place is still worth it. I LOVE the spa!!! Also I never even knew about the game room, now I can't wait to go back!

Also, if you feel like splurging, the Concierge Lounge is amazing! But you can't even use points for it, you have to buy up on point stays. But you get unlimited cookies!
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emanon256
........In my 10 years staying there, as a Platinum, and now PP, we never got any upgrades or benefits.....
That's a bummer, especially for summer stays when occupancy is less than full.

Originally Posted by emanon256
............But you get unlimited cookies!
That's a dangerous proposition.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:55 pm

Quick breakfast would be the Espresso cafe inside Ritz. Not much else nearby. I think five nights for 240k points plus ~$300 in resort fees is a solid deal. As much as we hate resort fees, this place does provide some value for the resort fees in the form of complimentary activities and spa access. I've had to pay like $25 per day in other places to access the steam room and sauna.

I have stayed at the Park Hyatt in Beaver Creek village in summer and they do have nice elite benefits. I do think the Ritz is a nicer property overall. This is a pretty special place. The architecture is amazing. You feel like you have come to a grand lodge in a National Park. Compared to this property, Ritz Carlton Tahoe is a rip off. Everything was better at RCBG compared to Tahoe. What I've heard is St. Regis Deer Valley is even better. I hope to try that out next year.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:01 pm

I do recommend bringing some food with you b/c you might not want to waste your breakfast/lunch time waiting. You can request them to put a microwave in your room. It can get busy and even when they have table space, they don't have the staff. The restaurants around Beaver Creek have mostly American food. Could be challenging if you crave more variety.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there self service laundry facility nearby? How about car service to/from Avon/Edwards? Is it readily available or do you need to prebook or wait?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by TerryK
Is there self service laundry facility nearby? How about car service to/from Avon/Edwards? Is it readily available or do you need to prebook or wait?
we are on an award stay now. Its been a few years but this one has been disappointing. In the past there was a car service to Avon but this time I asked I was told there was no car service and to book a taxi.

Overall things have been OK but issues have come up constantly. I guess the first red flag was when they sent me an email asking for information about the traveling party but when I replied I got an out of office message. The Ritz in Maui did the same and had a personalized note and gift bag for my son. Heater wasnt working when we checked in. A closet light that wont stay off (complained twice, never fixed), a tub that kept draining (wouldnt hold water, took 2 requests to get it fixed) and a sink that drains too slowly, the lack of vacuuming and failure to replenish paper to-go coffee cups one day when they just piled the trash from coffee in a coffee mug and left it, and failure to empty out the bathroom trash can. Ski valet service is inconsistent, some are helpful while others stand around and watch people struggle with boots, some help take the skis out to near the lift while others just put them down and let you carry them yourself. Also the restaurant served my 1 year old son some moldy blueberries.

Its been a while but Ive had better experiences at the St. Regis in Deer Valley and in Aspen. For me the service is more on par with the Park Hyatt in Beaver Creek or the Hyatt Centric in Park City/Canyons which are much better value.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by mgchan

we are on an award stay now. Its been a few years but this one has been disappointing. In the past there was a car service to Avon but this time I asked I was told there was no car service and to book a taxi.

Overall things have been OK but issues have come up constantly. I guess the first red flag was when they sent me an email asking for information about the traveling party but when I replied I got an out of office message. The Ritz in Maui did the same and had a personalized note and gift bag for my son. Heater wasnt working when we checked in. A closet light that wont stay off (complained twice, never fixed), a tub that kept draining (wouldnt hold water, took 2 requests to get it fixed) and a sink that drains too slowly, the lack of vacuuming and failure to replenish paper to-go coffee cups one day when they just piled the trash from coffee in a coffee mug and left it, and failure to empty out the bathroom trash can. Ski valet service is inconsistent, some are helpful while others stand around and watch people struggle with boots, some help take the skis out to near the lift while others just put them down and let you carry them yourself. Also the restaurant served my 1 year old son some moldy blueberries.

Its been a while but Ive had better experiences at the St. Regis in Deer Valley and in Aspen. For me the service is more on par with the Park Hyatt in Beaver Creek or the Hyatt Centric in Park City/Canyons which are much better value.
Hm that's disappointing. I put in a hold for a point redemption in Feb 2020 before the category increase at 60k a night when the rates are $4000 a night. Debating about moving over to St. Regis Aspen instead.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.